Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Duty action: launch white phosphorus

To kill for yourself is murder. To kill for your Grand Company is heroic. To kill for entertainment is Frontlines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Ugh, I'm starting to want to feel like playing the game again but it's been about a year. I don't want to get bogged down too much in giving a poo poo about the gear treadmill or progressing, mostly just catching up on story and doing some dressup and leveling some alt jobs. How horrible an idea is this?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Meldonox posted:

Ugh, I'm starting to want to feel like playing the game again but it's been about a year. I don't want to get bogged down too much in giving a poo poo about the gear treadmill or progressing, mostly just catching up on story and doing some dressup and leveling some alt jobs. How horrible an idea is this?

You can play the game and totally ignore the gear treadmill outside of making sure your ilvl is high enough to complete the latest MSQ dungeon and normal Omega raids. You can do this without even touching capped tomes if you want. I've never even touched current Savage content and I still have a blast playing this dumb FF love letter.

Since we've just hit the final third of Normal/Savage raid content, the next major patch is expected to have the final set of "catch-up" gear from the last 24-man, and then the floodgates will be opened in preparation for 5.0.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Duty action: launch white phosphorus

If you didn't want to use white phosphorus on the civilians just unsubscribe!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The Immortal Flames do not condone the killing of unarmed combatants. But this isn't real, so why should you care, kupo?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Safeword posted:

I've yet to be ordered to gas a bunch of civilians, so FF has that over Wow at least.

I would never go for the constant genocide/city-destroying bullshit of WoW in FFXIV

...unless it's Ul'dah. Ul'dah's gotta go. Nanamo and Redolent Rose can come with though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Vanderdeath posted:

I would never go for the constant genocide/city-destroying bullshit of WoW in FFXIV

...unless it's Ul'dah. Ul'dah's gotta go. Nanamo and Redolent Rose can come with though.

I'm noticing a disturbing lack of Hamon on this list.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's kind of impressive how this game somehow manages to make it feel like the WoL couldn't be any race/gender other than the one I've made them. I've just gotten so familiar with the idea of my specific character as being the protagonist that it's weird seeing Youtube videos and stuff with some random catgirl or whatever as the WoL.

Blockhouse posted:

It's because her response to "hey your expansionist policies are making the kobolds desperate enough to summon a primal" is "eh"

Titan is directly her fault. If she hadn't broken her treaty with the kobolds to try and grab more of their resources they never would have had the desire to summon in the first place.

Yeah, I like how when the Kobold's mention this to WoL/Alphinaud/Alisaie near the end of (IIRC) 3.4 (the part with Ga Bu) Alphinaud is just like "poo poo I don't really have a counter-argument."

The UI'dah Lalafel empress or whatever is alright in my opinion because she's at least trying to turn Ul'dah into an actual republic. Not really sure what to make of Kan-E-Senna (or whatever her name is). I've never played the Gridania starting quests and the MSQ doesn't touch upon them much otherwise aside from "something about elementals" and "nice plant people live nearby."

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Kann-E is cool and a secret alcoholic and is the driving force for actually having an Eorzean Alliance.

But it sucks for her to having to rule a state based on the whims of a bunch of murderous xenophobic elemental spirits.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

if I had to deal with the elementals horseshit all day id probably be drunk a lot too

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Dwesa posted:

I expect two subraces of Viera to be hugely different, so they can cater to both roe/highlander-lovers and waifu-lovers.

Or Ronso race will be aimed at roe/higlander lovers. Another race played by 1% of playerbase.

Buddy, I can tell you who Ronso will be aimed at.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I sincerely hope this ronso stuff is wrong and they really meant lupins

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I like how when the Kobold's mention this to WoL/Alphinaud/Alisaie near the end of (IIRC) 3.4 (the part with Ga Bu) Alphinaud is just like "poo poo I don't really have a counter-argument."

The guy melting down people's parents having a point is pretty disarming.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

homeless snail posted:

I sincerely hope this ronso stuff is wrong and they really meant lupins

Okay, but what if lupin's the third?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Ytlaya posted:

It's kind of impressive how this game somehow manages to make it feel like the WoL couldn't be any race/gender other than the one I've made them. I've just gotten so familiar with the idea of my specific character as being the protagonist that it's weird seeing Youtube videos and stuff with some random catgirl or whatever as the WoL.

This is why I can't get excited for possible new races - I'm not sure I could ever switch at this point. I swapped to dragon girl for the leveling section of Heavensward and by the time I hit 60 I was ready to switch back, it just made everything seem off.

Though to be fair, that's in part due to the Au Ra having a tenth of the personality of a femroe.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Meanwhile, I will still be a boring old hyur.

Heck the only reason I still have my Jandelain coupons is because I haven't found a hairstyle better for him than the one he's got.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Hyurs are cool, don't let anyone tell you otherwise

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Hyurs are good. I don't like the way midladies run, so I just make sure my weapon is drawn at all times.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Relax Or DIE posted:

This is why I can't get excited for possible new races - I'm not sure I could ever switch at this point. I swapped to dragon girl for the leveling section of Heavensward and by the time I hit 60 I was ready to switch back, it just made everything seem off.

Though to be fair, that's in part due to the Au Ra having a tenth of the personality of a femroe.

I can't cope with anything other than my current dashing Hyur female WoL. I tried an Au Ra and it just didn't feel "right" for the protagonist, and I also tried a Hyur female with long black hair and pale skin which also felt "off," but my current "dark tan skinned Hyur woman with short-ish hair" fits perfectly*. The only issue is that her hair style clips through certain headgear. I think I could deal with a non-Hyur male in the WoL role, but for some reason none of the non-Hyur races seem to fit as a female WoL.

I imagine that a lot of of scenes must be pretty goofy with a Lalafel WoL; everyone would have to look down at you. The idea of some Lalafel boldly walking in that goofy way to fight Nidhogg or whatever is pretty lol.

One kind of interesting thing is that I never get anything remotely resembling a romantic vibe from any of the female NPCs towards the WoL, but I can think of at least a handful of male NPCs who give me that impression.

* This was a tremendous relief, because I spent a long time constantly thinking "I guess she looks okay from certain angles, but occasionally looks weird" before changing her appearance, but now I'm just 100% satisfied regardless of the angle/expression/etc

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Ytlaya posted:

I imagine that a lot of of scenes must be pretty goofy with a Lalafel WoL; everyone would have to look down at you. The idea of some Lalafel boldly walking in that goofy way to fight Nidhogg or whatever is pretty lol.

It is.

Also, there are a lot of scenes where the Lalafellin Vince McMahon power walk is completely inappropriate. Like, you walk into a prison cell to talk to a war criminal, and it's just

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The lalafell WoL looks surprisingly badass if you dress them as such, it's cool because the game takes it 100% seriously and so you do too.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Not really sure what to make of Kan-E-Senna (or whatever her name is). I've never played the Gridania starting quests and the MSQ doesn't touch upon them much otherwise aside from "something about elementals" and "nice plant people live nearby."

The elementals are spirits of the land that are particularly strong in the Black Shroud. They protect nature based on their own somewhat inscrutable standards with both their own power (greenwrath can disintegrate people into aether) and inciting other natural forces to violence. They are also not all that discriminating when it comes to punishment - Garleans doing a stripmine in the forest? KILL ALL HUMANS. Gridanians have Hearers who can, well, hear and understand the elementals, at least in bits and pieces. Doing the will of the elementals helps keep them pacified and Gridanians able to keep living where they are. The Padjal like Kan-E-Senna are the "chosen" of the elementals - Hyurs born with horns who will never visibly age past a certain point (they're still normal mortals, otherwise). They act as proxies for the elementals and are naturally gifted conjurers (and before the Warrior of Light, the only White Mages since the fall of Amdapor have been padjali).

Kan-E-Senna is perhaps the most proactive member of the Eorzean Alliance, though that's probably at least partially motivated by Gridania's relative proximity to Garlemald.
Encyclopedia Eorzea has this to say on her:

quote:

Eldest of three siblings of Padjali blood, Kan-E-Senna serves as head of the Seedseer Council—the central governing body presiding over affairs within the city-state of Gridania. As is common amongst those born into the prestigious Senna line, she was blessed by the Twelve with the gift of prophecy, her visions hauntingly clear and detailed. Before reaching her sixth nameday, she had already predicted a devastating fire and a locust infestation, earning her the position of Hearer at a remarkably early age. After rising to become the Elder Seedseer, she left Gridania to live in the forest with her siblings, where she served the city-state by communing with the elementals.

As the number of rumors regarding unnatural phenomena began to swell, however, Kan-E-Senna was left with no choice but to return to the city-state, whereupon she oversaw the creation of the Order of the Twin Adder. A woman who has earned the respect of her people by always letting her actions speak as loud as her words, her affable demeanor belies her bravery. At the Battle of Carteneau, she wielded the white magic of the Padjal to save the lives of friend and foe alike. This remarkable display of compassion has won her renown throughout the realm.

In her twenty-eight summers, Kan-E has developed a fondness for Mun-Tuy brew, and is surprisingly adept at the dances of mooglekind.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

How do Padjal families work? Are there just certain bloodlines that are likely to produce Padjal, or is it more that they're adopted into Padjal families?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think the most important part about Kan-E is that she's a White Mage that spams Stone spells rather than honest healing in Ala Mhigo.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I didn't start in Gridania and hated going there every time in the MSQ (seriously, gently caress the Sylphlands) so all I know about Kan-E-Senna is that she likes to drink. Good enough. Nanamo is also trying her best, so I give her a pass.

Ytlaya posted:

It never fails that I'll see someone post a cutscene or what have you for the game and be surprised that my WoL isn't the one on screen. I sorta forget that I'm not the main character in everybody's story.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There are a few female NPCs that flirt with you.

I recall a catgirl in Thanalan who has you chase away peepers before offering to let you look in their stead. Regardless of your gender.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Argas posted:

How do Padjal families work? Are there just certain bloodlines that are likely to produce Padjal, or is it more that they're adopted into Padjal families?
Seems to just happen in families living in the Twelveswood. There hasn't been any indication of a purely Padjal lineage; the White Mage questline goes into what happens when one is born and found, but the Cliff's Notes is basically "the Seedseer Council formally adopts/raises them."

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Lalafell WoL works in the same way that, in the 4.x raid cycle, Alpha works as a hero-- it can be fun and inspiring to see a character who's visually unimposing, a physical underdog, pull off heroic feats despite unprepossessing looks. It's also, again like Alpha just also predicated on the charm of the game's animations. In the right circumstances lalas come off as less twee, more plucky, in a way that suits a pretty archetypal sort of protagonist.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Argas posted:

I think its the latter, because Padjali kids apparently get abducted by the conjurer's guild when they're discovered, and their names are changed. From what I remember of the 1.x GC stuff, and its been awhile, the Sennas aren't actually related by blood. Padjal lore has always seemed kinda sketchy and not too well defined to me though.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdfsCgtbAZw

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hogama posted:

Seems to just happen in families living in the Twelveswood. There hasn't been any indication of a purely Padjal lineage; the White Mage questline goes into what happens when one is born and found, but the Cliff's Notes is basically "the Seedseer Council formally adopts/raises them."

Yeah, I was aware of how Padjals happen but the phrase Padjal families just confused me on whether it was largely a phenomenon concentrated around certain families (creating an informal oligarchy of sorts, which could add another dimension to Gridanian politics) or that the Padjal families just adopt newly discovered padjals.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Ah, well, in that sense, it's usually just other adoptees they grew up with.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I came back to FF14 after a multiple month long break, combined with a hard drive losing all my data on it I have no loving idea how I am supposed to craft stuff. Anyone have any guides for level 70 crafting because I have no idea on how to do poo poo anymore and it's really messing with me.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Plenty of open small spaces last I checked, and a handful of mediums. At least in the Goblet. If you're looking for a specific area I can check later tonight when I get on.

It's a fairly low pop server so at no point have I ever found it difficult getting a plot, although larges and mediums were rare.

No worries I impulsively transferred over. I hope all these things I bought to transfer gil end up panning out or I'm in trouble!

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Archyduke posted:

Lalafell WoL works in the same way that, in the 4.x raid cycle, Alpha works as a hero-- it can be fun and inspiring to see a character who's visually unimposing, a physical underdog, pull off heroic feats despite unprepossessing looks. It's also, again like Alpha just also predicated on the charm of the game's animations. In the right circumstances lalas come off as less twee, more plucky, in a way that suits a pretty archetypal sort of protagonist.

:yeah: And you can also be cute while doing all of that.

I also have some older gamer mentioned that Lala match the proportion of the older FF characters better too.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I'm at a point where I'm trying to convince people in this village to join the Ala Mhigan resistance, and these villagers are basically 100% correct in their reasons for not wanting to join. There's no way in hell I'd join up in their shoes.

edit: Also why is Lyse white with blonde hair when it seems like most Hyur Ala Mhigans are dark brown with dark hair?
edit2: Well I guess this one dude randomly has blue hair, dunno what's up with that

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 25, 2018

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I love the lalafell exclusive content, like the "not all lalafells" gate guard early in Heavensward, or this very special version of the 4.2 ending:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

So I'm at a point where I'm trying to convince people in this village to join the Ala Mhigan resistance, and these villagers are basically 100% correct in their reasons for not wanting to join. There's no way in hell I'd join up in their shoes.

edit: Also why is Lyse white with blonde hair when it seems like most Hyur Ala Mhigans are dark brown with dark hair?
edit2: Well I guess this one dude randomly has blue hair, dunno what's up with that

Lyse was introduced before Highlanders were a thing, so she looks like a Midlander.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Lyse was introduced before Highlanders were a thing, so she looks like a Midlander.

She didn't eat her veggies so she never grew up big and strong like her countrymen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ytlaya posted:

It turns out that convincing people who have been oppressed for an entire generation to rise up against the military occupation of their homeland is kind of hard, and being an anime protagonist is not by itself a sufficient argument.