Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

pretty sure David was cool with Shaw until she tried to leave him after she witnessed or discovered the genocide, then he went crazy ex-boyfriend on her. Recall that the Juggernaut was crashed into the side of a mountain and the tremor in her voice on the country roads recording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

evobatman posted:

The best synopsis for Alien (1979): A cat avoids trouble aboard a space ship.

Sadly I would like to read a novella on what happened with Jonsey the cat.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sadly I would like to read a novella on what happened with Jonsey the cat.

Ask and ye shall receive.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dienes posted:

Ask and ye shall receive.

so wait, is this a children's book or a short story collection or yes?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

so wait, is this a children's book or a short story collection or yes?
It's a children's book. I linked to the Amazon listing on the previous page.

Speaking of children's books, there was an Aliens comic series in the early 90s called 'Aliens: Hive' (or Harvest, depending on which reprint you're reading). It follows a roboticist who initially developed a robotic ant that could interact with ant hives, and then uses that knowledge to make a robotic Alien that could infiltrate Alien hives. In the character's backstory, you learn that he published a children's book about his robotic ant having an adventure in an ant hive.

So Dark Horse decided to actually make the children's book, Cyberantics.

It's a genuine children's book, with illustrations and child-level text and everything. It also happens to have a bunch of footnotes and marginalia about the life and work of the (fictional) author, and the book itself doesn't reference Aliens in any way. If you weren't familiar with the Aliens comic it spawned from, you wouldn't realize it's a tie-in book.
The footnotes are pretty neat, too - about half of the bibliography is real texts and science journals, and the rest are references to books that haven't been published yet. :v:

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Just saw the new predator movie, don't, it's loving awful. It would of made a good graphic novel split up into about 8 different issues.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

willie_dee posted:

Just saw the new predator movie, don't, it's loving awful. It would of made a good graphic novel split up into about 8 different issues.

Can you confirm how magical the child with autism is portrayed as? On a scale of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close to Stephen King?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Al 'Apone' Matthews has died. :(

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
He was a legit badass. I think he was the first black NCO?
He loved the Corps, every meal was a banquet, every paycheck a fortune, every formation a parade.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

brocked posted:

He was a legit badass. I think he was the first black NCO?
He loved the Corps, every meal was a banquet, every paycheck a fortune, every formation a parade.

Him and Biehn are the only ones who play believable Marines, and that's because Biehn was the only decent actor of the bunch and Matthews was actually a Marine.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

Him and Biehn are the only ones who play believable Marines, and that's because Biehn was the only decent actor of the bunch and Matthews was actually a Marine.

Whoa whoa, are you saying Bill “Ultimate Badass” Paxton isn’t a decent actor?

Also about half the marines are given nothing to work with. Weirzbowski has 2 seconds of screen time and no dialogue, Crowe has 1 line of off-screen dialogue and is only even visible on-camera when the Marines are suiting up before boarding the APC.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

Also about half the marines are given nothing to work with. Weirzbowski has 2 seconds of screen time and no dialogue, Crowe has 1 line of off-screen dialogue and is only even visible on-camera when the Marines are suiting up before boarding the APC.

Of course not, that was obviously an oversight on my part. I was too caught up in remembering Apone I guess.

Anyway, I do stand by my statement that Matthews and Biehn are the only two who feel like they could be real Marines. Paxton is obviously going for a more over the top character but that fills a different role in the movie. You need a few guys who feel legitimately competent.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I dunno, you could drop any of them into Generation Kill and they’d fit right in. I’d love to hear Bill Paxton’s response to schoolkid letters.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I found Frost believable, as he seems like Hicks' buddy

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Spunkmeyer seemed like a lazy dumbass I can totally buy him as a marine.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Yeah, I dunno if I can buy legitimately competent guys as marines.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Yeah, I dunno if I can buy legitimately competent guys as marines.

I swear I seem to recall some people in the behind the scenes stuff for Aliens talking about they felt like they were being unrealistic having the marines be so undisciplined and others saying "man it was really realistic how screwball those guys are" :D. Granted part of the distinction seemed to be the people going off Vietnam era military memories vs. present day (at the time), to which... yeah, little different service experience there.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

Also about half the marines are given nothing to work with. Weirzbowski has 2 seconds of screen time

Wait, Weirz Bowski's 2 seconds of screen time?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I can totally buy Ferro as a pilot though with her 2cool4school aviators, lingo and general disdain for any type of manual work.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

Hicks pulls him away from the flaming ammo bag just before it goes off.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Dienes posted:

Can you confirm how magical the child with autism is portrayed as? On a scale of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close to Stephen King?

The kids not even played with autism to any degree, it's just such a poo poo movie they just throw it in as a way to move the plot forward, because the plots so terrible that sometimes they need an excuse for why no one can do something but the kid can.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Neo Rasa posted:

There used to be a site called Wierzbowski Hunters dedicated to finding every frame the lug appeared in. My favorite is that he’s front and center in the reaction shot after Ripley slaps the cornbread tray.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Until this exact moment I legit thought that the character's name was Bowski and that Hick was frantically yelling "Where's Bowski?!" amidst the chaos.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Fart City posted:

Until this exact moment I legit thought that the character's name was Bowski and that Hick was frantically yelling "Where's Bowski?!" amidst the chaos.

Haha yeah I thought that for ages until on one of my zillionth rewatches as a kid, I saw the name on one of the monitor's Gorman's looking at. At least, I think that is what it was that clued me in.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fun fact: unless stated in the film or in some other ancillary material, the first name of pretty much every character across all the Alien movies is presumed to be the same as the actor portraying them.
The “trend” started because when the Sulaco’s computer is listing off the Marine names before they wake up, everyone’s first initial matches the actor’s first initial, except for D. Hicks and S. Gorman, if I remember right. Even Bishop has a first name, according to the terminal.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I was shocked when Ricco Ross revealed in the I Was There Too podcast that R. Frost's first name is Robert.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I was shocked when Ricco Ross revealed in the I Was There Too podcast that R. Frost's first name is Robert.
Well, he did end in fire.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Just got David's drawing book. This thing owns it's like the Voynich Manuscript: Alien Edition.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s one of the best things I’ve ever bought.

I do wish there was more “story” in it. I want to know what happened. But I think it’s also neat to let it be ambiguous and open ended.

Either way it’s a fun thing to pour through.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

banned from Starbucks posted:

Just got David's drawing book. This thing owns it's like the Voynich Manuscript: Alien Edition.

Oh, I had a look through that the other day in a bookstore. Horrifyingly weird.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
It owns that David is just Blood Meridian's Judge but an android, and he loves xenomorphs instead of war

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

banned from Starbucks posted:

Voynich Manuscript

The Wiki article on this is just :stare:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nooooooooo. :(

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Fart City posted:

A lot of people understandably think this because of how the movie plays out and that was the intention of the spacing in my earlier post. :3:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
If y'all have Prime Video, 80s anime LILY C.A.T. is on the service.

It's basically Alien + The Thing + a crime mystery.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Prometheus is really good and Covenant is ok.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Prometheus is really bad and Covenant was ok.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alien 3 is really good and Alien Resurrection is ok.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Speaking of Alien3, play Spot the Prisoner:

https://youtu.be/CEJgRvkhp10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking of Alien3, play Spot the Prisoner: