Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I've been fermenting these scorpion peppers for a month now. As long as it still smells good I shouldn't be afraid of dying from botulism or something else .... right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

goodness posted:

I've been fermenting these scorpion peppers for a month now. As long as it still smells good I shouldn't be afraid of dying from botulism or something else .... right?

As long as that big white clump isn't growing and it smells good, you'll be fine. I recently made a batch of hot sauce that had been fermenting a couple of months or so, delicious.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

wormil posted:

As long as that big white clump isn't growing and it smells good, you'll be fine. I recently made a batch of hot sauce that had been fermenting a couple of months or so, delicious.

Great. I started another batch with jalapenos, habanero and garlic cloves today.

I think that is the cabbage slice you are referring to? I'm using it to hold the stuff down as I don't have weights.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Qubee posted:

My stuff is usually more watery than usual because I put it in the instant pot, so I need to add enough water so pressure can actually generate sufficiently, and to prevent whatever I'm cooking from burning on the bottom of the pan.

Does cornflour not burn as easily as regular flour?
You can add corn flour to a little bit of water then mix that into a sauce and simmer to thicken it

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Are anchos usually bitter? I bought a big bag of them and made some chili, but it had a fairly obvious bitter note to it. Is there anything I can do to minimize it? I’d like to make some enchilada sauce out of them since they seem fairly high quality (pliable and fragrant).

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Speaking of fermenting, I some people with mason jar lids and what looks like cheesecloth. How does that work? Don't you get all sorts of nasty bacteria growing?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

wormil posted:

Speaking of fermenting, I some people with mason jar lids and what looks like cheesecloth. How does that work? Don't you get all sorts of nasty bacteria growing?

in that setting, the cheesecloth is to keep debris & insects & poo poo out and you either have a solution that isn't hospitable to whatever nastier bacteria you'd expect to be present, and/or you're relying on an introduced or naturally-occurring strain(s) to metabolize whatever food you've provided to it before anything else sets in

Qubee
May 31, 2013

goodness posted:

aren't stuff that are fermenting supposed to be fully submerged? Even if you're just using that cabbage as a weight to keep the peppers submerged, isn't it going to act as a breeding ground for bacteria itself?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Qubee posted:

aren't stuff that are fermenting supposed to be fully submerged? Even if you're just using that cabbage as a weight to keep the peppers submerged, isn't it going to act as a breeding ground for bacteria itself?

It's generally a good idea yes and for sauerkraut etc it's pretty much mandatory. All of your good conditions for this kind of fermentation are going to be some combination of high salt and low pH. If you've got material up above the liquid layer it's not going to get either the salt or pH conditions that keep out poo poo you don't want growing. It could still work as the acidic brine will diffuse through the stuff above the surface, but it won't work as well and you run the risk of getting odd molds etc growing on them.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Qubee posted:

The first piece I had developed a bit of mold on the top so I threw it out and put another slice in. I think its submerged enough that the brine is able to soak up through it.

I'm not planning to eat the cabbage either way so if I see mold on that piece I'll switch it out again.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

the reason for submersion isn't to soak it, it's to prevent oxygen touching it, right? oxygen = bad bugs that are gonna bring back the bubonic plague or give you superpowers, it's a coin toss.

I personally wouldn't feel safe eating fermented stuff if there was a piece of cabbage partially submerged with mold growing on it, cause I'd be paranoid it contaminated the rest of the stuff.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
I'm making split pea soup tomorrow, and as I was rinsing my peas to soak, I thought of two questions for you guys:
  1. Is this really necessary, and how much rinsing is enough? As with brown rice, it seems like I could go through gallons agitating the peas then pouring the cloudy water out, and the water never runs perfectly clear. I've settled on five changes of about 8 cups of water for a pound of split peas, which is probably more than enough, but the completist in me is always a little bothered that I can never rinse them perfectly.
  2. What is it I'm rinsing off of my peas?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Qubee posted:

the reason for submersion isn't to soak it, it's to prevent oxygen touching it, right? oxygen = bad bugs that are gonna bring back the bubonic plague or give you superpowers, it's a coin toss.

Yes, but it's complicated.

Fermentation can happen in the presence of oxygen but it's less likely to. Also, plenty of normal and good bugs are present in oxygen. And some of the worst bugs ex: Clostridium botulinum cannot grow in the presence of oxygen.

Submersion is ideal early on because it does make it more likely that you'll drive the process towards fermentation, thus lowering the pH, further excluding growth of organisms you don't want. Separately, submersion maximizes contact with your brine, which also limits the growth of things you don't want.

If it's in a sealed vessel and you have actively growing bugs then the oxygen above the liquid layer is likely long gone anyway.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

DasNeonLicht posted:

I'm making split pea soup tomorrow, and as I was rinsing my peas to soak, I thought of two questions for you guys:
  1. Is this really necessary, and how much rinsing is enough? As with brown rice, it seems like I could go through gallons agitating the peas then pouring the cloudy water out, and the water never runs perfectly clear. I've settled on five changes of about 8 cups of water for a pound of split peas, which is probably more than enough, but the completist in me is always a little bothered that I can never rinse them perfectly.
  2. What is it I'm rinsing off of my peas?

When my dad showed me how to make split pea soup we'd pour them straight into the pot and cook for 1hr 30min.

Edit: After some googling on the subject it seems that no one has a really good answer to WHY you would wash them just that they do. I only saw 1 or 2 places that said washing them just to clean them and another was washing them to get some of the starches out. Most of the information when you google is about soaking the peas prior to cooking which simply reduces the cooking time.

sterster fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 24, 2018

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

That Works posted:

Yes, but it's complicated.

Fermentation can happen in the presence of oxygen but it's less likely to. Also, plenty of normal and good bugs are present in oxygen. And some of the worst bugs ex: Clostridium botulinum cannot grow in the presence of oxygen.

Submersion is ideal early on because it does make it more likely that you'll drive the process towards fermentation, thus lowering the pH, further excluding growth of organisms you don't want. Separately, submersion maximizes contact with your brine, which also limits the growth of things you don't want.

If it's in a sealed vessel and you have actively growing bugs then the oxygen above the liquid layer is likely long gone anyway.

If I die Ill post and let you guys know

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

goodness posted:

If I die Ill post and let you guys know

If you're monitoring it for mold etc and it passes the sniff / slime tests it's probably going to be ok. Just mentioning the stuff in the last comment so others know more about what's going on / what's more optimal.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Is aged cheddar a terrible choice to make mac and cheese with??

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Captainsalami posted:

Add some fontina and gruyere and you have my go-to cheese combination.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Captainsalami posted:

Only cuz it doesn't melt well. Add it with some melty cheeses (or just make a sauce with sodium citrate) and you're good to go.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Captainsalami posted:

Not if you balance it, as others have stated.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
For ferments, most mold is fine as long as it's not one of the bright colorful ones and if you get some growth just skimming off the top layer is fine, everything underneath won't really be affected. If you get a thin whitish layer of growth that is flat rather than fuzzy, it's probably kahm yeast. Again, won't harm you but it is more likely to seep a cheesy off flavor into your ferment that won't be removed with just the top layer. In either situation you remove the top, taste what is underneath and if the flavor is still okay you're still good.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
What's up with goons and these gross-rear end pickles. If you have to use a weight why on earth would you use something that will rot.

Here's a helpful thread on pickling and canning. IIRC there's also plenty on lactofermenting in there.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437802

There's also a whole series of entertaining videos on fermenting stuff by bon appetit. Here's one:
https://youtu.be/sUwy71ddj1M

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Brad Leone is my fuckin spirit animal, I wish I knew a guy as chill as him IRL.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Qubee posted:

Brad Leone is my fuckin spirit animal, I wish I knew a guy as chill as him IRL.

I just started watching this guy’s videos. The editing is extremely good.

I’ll cross-post from the Sous Vide thread while I’m here: anybody have time/temp/recipe recommendations for a sirloin tip roast?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

fart store posted:

What's up with goons and these gross-rear end pickles. If you have to use a weight why on earth would you use something that will rot.

Here's a helpful thread on pickling and canning. IIRC there's also plenty on lactofermenting in there.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437802

There's also a whole series of entertaining videos on fermenting stuff by bon appetit. Here's one:
https://youtu.be/sUwy71ddj1M

Because I don't have any of the other weight options in my house and didn't want the peppers to rot

Plenty of articles online suggest cabbage to hold it down

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

fart store posted:

What's up with goons and these gross-rear end pickles. [/url]

Useless trivia, in Texas, only pickled cucumbers can be called pickles.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

wormil posted:

Useless trivia, in Texas, only pickled cucumbers can be called pickles.

I'm picturing the lead-up to this bit of legislation and lmao

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

goodness posted:

imho you need to work on some lighting for us to make an accurate judgement. Don't have the window in the frame, it's making whatever's on time blown out white.

That Works posted:

It's generally a good idea yes and for sauerkraut etc it's pretty much mandatory. All of your good conditions for this kind of fermentation are going to be some combination of high salt and low pH. If you've got material up above the liquid layer it's not going to get either the salt or pH conditions that keep out poo poo you don't want growing. It could still work as the acidic brine will diffuse through the stuff above the surface, but it won't work as well and you run the risk of getting odd molds etc growing on them.

way back then you could get a job just turning sauerkraut and I wish I could do that instead of touch computers.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

goodness posted:

Because I don't have any of the other weight options in my house and didn't want the peppers to rot

Plenty of articles online suggest cabbage to hold it down

In those articles the cabbage leaf is also under the brine. If someone is suggesting that you weight down a ferment by using something that can rot and pokes out into the air they are either idiots or intentionally harming you.

Next time fill a Ziploc bag bag with water, squeeze the air out and use that as a weight. Or a saucer.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

imho you need to work on some lighting for us to make an accurate judgement. Don't have the window in the frame, it's making whatever's on time blown out white.

The white is the cabbage, and it's just that white. The first piece developed a small brown spot that i pulled before it presumably molded.

pile of brown posted:

In those articles the cabbage leaf is also under the brine. If someone is suggesting that you weight down a ferment by using something that can rot and pokes out into the air they are either idiots or intentionally harming you.

Next time fill a Ziploc bag bag with water, squeeze the air out and use that as a weight. Or a saucer.

Some of them mention it's fine if it goes above and show that in their picture, and to replace if it starts to rot. Which I did when I noticed a brown spot on the cabbage.

I didn't have Ziploc bags or I would have used that as every article mentions them. Also no saucer that fits a pint Mason jar. I ordered weights for the next batches

goodness fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 26, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Turns out I've got OAS (oral allergy syndrome). I bought a bunch of fresh fruits: apples, pears, nectarines, peaches. I had a real juicer of a nectarine last night before bed, my mouth started itching like crazy after I ate it. Fast forward a few minutes and my top lip swelled up, I looked like I'd gotten botox or been stung by a bee. So that kinda sucks, but I refuse to let this win. Obviously, I can't eat them during the week when I have uni, my lip is still puffy and I'm heading into uni in a few hours. I'll save fruits for the weekend.

It turns out if I cook them, I'll be fine. So what can I do with a bunch of apples, pears, nectarines and peaches to cook them and make them actually edible for me? I was thinking of just chopping them all up together, throwing them in a pan, adding some water, and sauteing until they're soft like baby food. Would this work? No need to add anything like cinnamon, right? They'd taste delicious by themselves?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Qubee posted:

It turns out if I cook them, I'll be fine. So what can I do with a bunch of apples, pears, nectarines and peaches to cook them and make them actually edible for me? I was thinking of just chopping them all up together, throwing them in a pan, adding some water, and sauteing until they're soft like baby food. Would this work? No need to add anything like cinnamon, right? They'd taste delicious by themselves?
That's basically a compote, and sure, if the fruit you use is sweet enough on its own, it'll be fine. Most of the time I think it benefits from a little added sugar or honey, and definitely from spices.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'll do that and eat it with greek yoghurt, perfect.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Stewing fruit is also good so make some tutti frutti imo

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Aww, what up OAS bro? God I miss tucking into a big ol slice of watermelon on a hot summer day. :( I don't know if you're aware, but OAS is usually a synergistic effect between the fruit/vegetable you're eating and whatever local pollen is permeating the air. So some things I can eat during different times of the year (which kinda sucks, because who wants -- or can get -- watermelon in the dead of winter?)

Couple ideas as someone who misses eating all the raw fruit I enjoyed as a kid:

Salsas! Chop up peaches with the usual salsa suspects like onions, peppers, garlic, sauté it just until they get a little soft. Season, chill, devour.

Fruit butter! Slice up apples or pears, cook them down in a big ol pot until you get apple sauce, add cinnamon and whatever else you like, blend it, cook it down some more, spread on toast or drizzle on ice cream.

YMMV here, but alcohol seems to also denature the enzyme that makes us itch. So sangria or soaking fruit in vodka are some ways to feel like "mmm, raw fruit. Plus, I got a nice buzz!"

Peaches are also fantastic on the grill, or under the broiler if grilling is out.

Don't forget that cooked fruits often incredible with savory meat dishes. Ham and pineapple, pork loin with cherry, spicy orange beef stir fries...

Just a couple ideas to get you going!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

It's crazy that it affects each person differently. I can eat pineapples, watermelon, mango, no problem. It's just always apples, peaches, pears that get me, and nectarine the worst of all.

Thanks a bunch for those tips, definitely going to try them out. Also going to try making apple sauce, but with other fruits.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Qubee posted:

It's crazy that it affects each person differently. I can eat pineapples, watermelon, mango, no problem. It's just always apples, peaches, pears that get me, and nectarine the worst of all.

Thanks a bunch for those tips, definitely going to try them out. Also going to try making apple sauce, but with other fruits.

You're welcome! :)

Yeah OAS is weird in that it varies so widely from person to person, and even amongst one person -- probably because of that cross-allergy effect. Raw carrots used to bother the hell out of me when I lived in NY, and then when I moved to VA, I could eat them fine. Citrus went the other way around, that used to be my "safe" fruit group and now I miss the simple joy of an orange segment. My best guess is that the local tree pollens are different, so my allergies switched up. Then I've got total weirdos like cucumber; your bog standard cukes make me itch, but I discovered that English seedless variety does not. It's a crapshoot for me, basically.

Bugs the poo poo outta me because I'm a very adventurous eater, I love trying new things, but it's always with trepidation when it comes to raw fruit and veg. The other day one of my co-workers came in with bag of figs, fresh and ripe from some trees in her yard. I'd never eaten a raw fig, but really wanted to, so I said "sure, I'd love one, just lemme grab a water so I can rinse and spit in case I itch!" Turns out figs are okay, but having an allergy that seemingly has no rhyme or reason really sucks. I feel your pain.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Kiwis do that poo poo to my mouth, lips and throat. Funnily enough, even though I rarely ate them, one day my wife and I did and we both had the same effects. Swollen lips, itchy mouth, scratchy throat.

Haven’t had a kiwi since.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm making red beans and rice. Would it matter if I use Jasmine rice instead of regular white rice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

me your dad posted:

I'm making red beans and rice. Would it matter if I use Jasmine rice instead of regular white rice?

Nah, it's great with Jasmine rice too