Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009

Samuringa posted:

This reads like a mystery novel conclusion but anything to give me a bit of hope is welcome

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/1044258938076778496

It'd be criminally stupid not to include her, but it's Marvel.

Fingers crossed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Can't wait to see breakout character of the century Valkirie in Avengers 4 so she can stand around some more.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Eh it makes sense that Tony and the other survivors would go looking for anyone else that can help them fight against Thanos.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I assume she'll be there for one big group scene and that's about it. They did tease the existence of a 'most characters together at one time!' scene. I wouldn't bet on her having a major role.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The Russos said that some people won't be in Infinity War, but would be in Avengers 4.

They explicitly mentioned Ant-Man and Hawkeye and they went out of their way to confirm that Valkyrie was alive, so I thought it was already all but confirmed.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The best Joker story they'll never adapt:

:D

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Can't wait until DC has 3 separate Joker franchise because John's is already writing the tie in.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
You guys really need to read beyond the Twitter post because this poo poo is amazing.

“It is great. The whole thing starts with Harley kidnapping Dr. Phil. Played by Dr. Phil hopefully. Because her and the Joker are having problems with their relationship,” Ficarra says. “We had so much fun, I don’t know if we have had more fun writing a script in our career.”

Wheat Loaf posted:

The best Joker story they'll never adapt:

:D

The Last Circus is already the best Joker movie.

Edit: It even has two Jokers fighting over Harley Quinn.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 24, 2018

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Mr Hootington posted:

Can't wait until DC has 3 separate Joker franchise because John's is already writing the tie in.

Culminating in a Joker Corps movie.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I really, really wish that the writers at warner brothers realised that the whole point of Joker's relationship with Harley is that the Joker is an abuser and Harley is an abuse victim.

But nope, lets just have crazy lovebird story everybody!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sticksy posted:

Culminating in a Joker Corps movie.

The JoKorps!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Monaghan posted:

I really, really wish that the writers at warner brothers realised that the whole point of Joker's relationship with Harley is that the Joker is an abuser and Harley is an abuse victim.

Once again, Last Circus got you covered.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Monaghan posted:

They seem to have a type

https://twitter.com/Fandango/status/1044323449718460417

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Has DC done a story about the Joker becoming a hero yet? They should do that, a Joker movie where Joker is a superhero.

then do a crossover movie where he has to fight the bad guy Joker

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Has DC done a story about the Joker becoming a hero yet? They should do that, a Joker movie where Joker is a superhero.

There's I, Joker where a version of the Joker is legitimately a hero. But it's not the real Joker, and he ends up becoming Batman.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 25, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Guy Goodbody posted:

They've got the source material ready to go.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

The crime syndicate earth has a hero joker who seems incompetent.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

X-O posted:

They've got the source material ready to go.

This is a fun story.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The reason they don't make the Joker super abusive to Harley is because then the audience would dislike him

Same reason why the joker was just targeting mobsters in TDK until the very end when he starts targeting civilians. The movie was about him and the audience needed to be interested and want to see more of him

Some guy who abuses a woman who likes him is immediately intensely unlikable

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Okay but what about Thanos then?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Most of your other transgressions go moot when you kill half of the universe

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Mr Hootington posted:

The crime syndicate earth has a hero joker who seems incompetent.

People loved the Jokester. I remember people being really excited when he showed up in Countdown. Then super pissed when he was killed like 6 issues in.

As for DC, I think they realize that as good as "Harley Quinn in a domestic abuse relationship with Joker" is, they make more money portraying them as "Bonnie & Clyde/ Sid & Nancy with super crime."

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Sockser posted:

Okay but what about Thanos then?

What about him

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Question IRL posted:

As for DC, I think they realize that as good as "Harley Quinn in a domestic abuse relationship with Joker" is, they make more money portraying them as "Bonnie & Clyde/ Sid & Nancy with super crime."

But they leave in all the abusive relationship stuff.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I honestly think that on the whole, creating Harley Quinn was a mistake.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Either the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, or there's just nothing else to go off of for their relationship.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Lurdiak posted:

I honestly think that on the whole, creating The Joker was a mistake.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Creating comic books have made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RIP the Jokester. He was the Joker, but nice.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The Jokers fundamental gimmick is that he looks like a Joker and does pranks on people, villainously

More recent takes seem to strip most of that away and just have him be "Crazy Edgy Lunatic Criminal Man" who looks and talks funny. I guess in a morbid way you could claim that the Joker pranked Batman in TDK by misdirecting him and blowing up his girl but it's still a reach

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Zzulu posted:

The Jokers fundamental gimmick is that he looks like a Joker and does pranks on people, villainously

More recent takes seem to strip most of that away and just have him be "Crazy Edgy Lunatic Criminal Man" who looks and talks funny. I guess in a morbid way you could claim that the Joker pranked Batman in TDK by misdirecting him and blowing up his girl but it's still a reach

Nah he was a crazy edgy lunatic from day 1. The silver age mellowed him out and the 80s brought him back to his roots.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Joker is one of the most inconsistently written characters in fiction, and that's ok, but knowing that doesn't make the new 52 Ultra-Murder version or the Suicide Squad version interesting.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The Joker is best when he commits crimes because it's funny. He's worst when he constructs jokes as justifications because it's time to commit a crime.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Collapsing Farts posted:

The reason they don't make the Joker super abusive to Harley is because then the audience would dislike him

Same reason why the joker was just targeting mobsters in TDK until the very end when he starts targeting civilians. The movie was about him and the audience needed to be interested and want to see more of him

Some guy who abuses a woman who likes him is immediately intensely unlikable

The audience will be totally cool with abusive people if they are portrayed in the "right" way, even if their abuse is explicit.

See:

Breaking Bad
Fight Club
V for Vendetta

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The Joker story in "Joker's Asylum" is really good. He's funny and doesn't kill a single person.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should make a new character called "The PG Joker" he's a violent criminal but everything he does is within the bounds of a PG movie.

His first crime is he tried to rob the Wayne Manor when Bruce's parents accidentally leave him Home Alone

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I like to think of the Joker as a Looney Tunes character in a real person's body; his best gimmicks are when he pulls something you can imagine Bugs Bunny doing, except in real life the consequences are fatal.

On that note, I would like a Roger Rabbit or Space Jam sequel where the bad guy is TAS Joker.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TAS Joker is my favorite interpretation of the Joker because his madness is a facade. He's a horrible person who enjoys murdering and crimes, but he acts crazy because he thinks it's funny and it lets him not get the chair.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 25, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I maintain the Arkham Knight Joker is one of the best versions of the character because it's just lots of black comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I maintain the Arkham Knight Joker is one of the best versions of the character because it's just lots of black comedy.

The design is horrible.

• Locked thread