Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Modern controllers are highway robbery. The margins must be insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Sakurazuka posted:

I haven't seen arterial spray like that since Vandal Hearts.

This made my day :D Also my top pick for inclusion on that mini PS1 retro thing.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Regarding backwards compatibility again, if the PS5 isn't backwards compatible with PS4 games I'll jump ship again to Microsoft because now I own like a hundred games on my 360 that are compatible with the xbone and sure they will be compatible with the next MS console. I also own a good bunch of Xbox one games through Gold so I can finally put my 360 into the box. I can always get a cheap PS5 a few years into its cycle and get the exclusives I want and keep growing my Microsoft library like it's steam.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
So, playing dragon quest XI, about 25 hours in, whatever. It's a JRPG, it's fine.

The music is >abominable<. The main map marching theme circus theme is the soundtrack to the 6th level of hell, and it only has about 8 goddamn bars.

So, turned the music off. Now of course there's a noticeable lack of the >good< music that you want to hear - perfection jingles, battle victory, all that jazz. Now after crafting a perfect item i get a screen that says PERFECTION and complete silence for 7 seconds too many.

This, I can get over. I can play some other music to fill the holes.

OH NO WAIT NO I CANT SPOTIFY IS BLOCKED BY THIS APPLICATION

oh cool whats the streaming rules "You are allowed to stream this game for the purposes of watching the game, but you may not stream the game or watch a game stream for the purposes of listening to the music". I'm not streaming.

Fuckos nobody wants to listen to the lovely music let me listen to 90s music on spotify while I JRPG.

Yeah I could play music through some other device but i still want the game sfx and these are my best speakers.

e: oh god if you camp while you've got a ridable creature it gets a little fenced off area to chill in I love this game

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

iRend posted:

oh cool whats the streaming rules "You are allowed to stream this game for the purposes of watching the game, but you may not stream the game or watch a game stream for the purposes of listening to the music". I'm not streaming.

This came up before - this is about streaming footage of the game for the purpose of sharing Koichi Sugiyama's MIDI poo poo, it has nothing to do with running a music application in the background.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I've been mostly remote playing with the sound off to my laptop or vita while watching tv for background noise because the music is dogshit, and it gives me something to do while autobattle does it's thing. 10/10 would recommend.

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot
As terrible as the music in DQ11 the game is still going to make a lot of top 10 GOTY lists, if not top 5.

It is low key loving amazing.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

seiferguy posted:

I feel cursed, my third Dualshock 4 has died in this year alone. It's all been related to not holding a battery charge or not being able to charge once the battery is depleted.

Have you been charging them using a Samsung fast phone charger or the like? Killed a few myself that way.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The whole "PS3 is just too difficult to emulate!" thing is total bullshit anyway. Let us not forget that the 360 had a tri-core Power PC architecture, and Microsoft put a gently caress ton of work into getting it to work on the Xbox One.

Sony just doesn't want to spend the money or manpower to engineer a solution. Which is fine, but people shouldn't push the false narrative of the "Crazy CELL architecture!! Just can't do it man!" because at that point you're basically just doing Sony's PR for them.

Microsoft put a lot of work into backwards compatibility because it's all they have. Their exclusives have been mediocre at best besides maybe Forza and they aren't even exclusive any more as you can play them all on PC now.

That said I hope PS5 is backwards-compatible if the architecture is the same.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Guillermus posted:

Regarding backwards compatibility again, if the PS5 isn't backwards compatible with PS4 games I'll jump ship again to Microsoft because now I own like a hundred games on my 360 that are compatible with the xbone and sure they will be compatible with the next MS console. I also own a good bunch of Xbox one games through Gold so I can finally put my 360 into the box. I can always get a cheap PS5 a few years into its cycle and get the exclusives I want and keep growing my Microsoft library like it's steam.

That'll be what I do too. The ps4 didn't have a great game until about a year and a half (bloodborne) so unless Microsoft fucks up the launch again, it's likely I might pick up an Xbox one two at launch and grab the ps5 later when there's something I want to play on it.

If ps5 really doesn't have bc with ps4 or even ps1, (maybe even some psp or vita games while I dream) then yeah I'll rebuy some of my favorite games this generation on Xbox and use that for my main gaming library while ps5 is for exclusive stuff.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MZ posted:

I can't imagine Sony being stupid enough to go back to cell processor-type hardware.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

We're getting x86 pc's in little black boxes forever now, there's no doubt about it.

Avicus
Aug 31, 2007
Gentleman Bastard
Grimey Drawer
I'd been confused about all the Hollow Knight praise, thinking I've played it and not being too impressed.

Of course, I was thinking of Shovel Knight. I bought two copies of HK last night.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MZ posted:

Microsoft put a lot of work into backwards compatibility because it's all they have. Their exclusives have been mediocre at best besides maybe Forza and they aren't even exclusive any more as you can play them all on PC now.

Yeah, Microsoft knew they were in trouble right from launch and leaned hard into "it plays all your X360 games, so come on and upgrade!!" in the hopes people would buy one to play the same games that work on a machine they already own. The "CELL EMULATION CAN BE DONE!!" argument is bullshit because X360 emulation works due to Microsoft baking in the hardware to do so from the design stages. They did so because they knew what a shitshow it'd be to try to emulate X360 games in software after the X360's efforts to run OG Xbox games. CELL architecture is fundamentally different from conventional x86 computing, and expecting CELL emulation to work on an x86 setup at PS4-tier specs is just not going to happen.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Avicus posted:

I'd been confused about all the Hollow Knight praise, thinking I've played it and not being too impressed.

Of course, I was thinking of Shovel Knight. I bought two copies of HK last night.

people love shovel knight too

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i don't see myself ever getting an xbox, short of some really good deal, because they have never really offered the types of games i'm interested in. unless their catalog next gen is very different.

if the ps5 has no bc, i'd be in no rush to get one, though.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I barely have time to play new games let alone go back and play stuff I already did, BC just isn't a factor for me and I'd bet that's true for the vast majority of people

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rinkles posted:

i don't see myself ever getting an xbox, short of some really good deal, because they have never really offered the types of games i'm interested in. unless their catalog next gen is very different.

if the ps5 has no bc, i'd be in no rush to get one, though.

If it's just a more powerful x86 box, backwards-compatibility is a non-issue for the same reason twenty-year-old-plus PC games work on modern PC's without being altered (broadly speaking, of course); It's still the same fundamental hardware architecture.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah I have no rush either. If they announce the PS5 for 2020 I'll still have plenty of good games from current gen (mostly finishing collecting and beating all Yakuza games) to bother with launch consoles. This time I'll also look for incremental upgrade like the PS4 Pro or XboneX so I can just wait for them to pop.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If it's just a more powerful x86 box, backwards-compatibility is a non-issue for the same reason twenty-year-old-plus PC games work on modern PC's without being altered (broadly speaking, of course); It's still the same fundamental hardware architecture.

that's the point. no bc would mean sony was intentionally blocking it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

History Comes Inside! posted:

I barely have time to play new games let alone go back and play stuff I already did, BC just isn't a factor for me and I'd bet that's true for the vast majority of people

Basically, the majority of people buy a shiny new console to play shiny new games (plus GTA 5), and I keep all my old consoles, plugged in if they're last gen, so BC is a non-issue for me.
It was different going from SD consoles to HD ones where you might see some improvement in how they looked on your tv but otherwise shrug

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

It's musou time.

Well, actually its this really long demo they released a week before the Orochi 3 comes out on Thursday in Japan. I don't even know how long it is, and I might not even finish it before then.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

there isn't going to BE another xbox, so I'd hold off on that

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Samurai Sanders posted:

before the Orochi 3 comes out

My brain is kinda mush and I read that like a Simple 2500 title.

SIMPLE 2500 vol 78 THE OROCHI 3

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's musou time.

Well, actually its this really long demo they released a week before the Orochi 3 comes out on Thursday in Japan. I don't even know how long it is, and I might not even finish it before then.

Stop confusing me by calling 4 by the correct name

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Deadguy2322 posted:

The “work” Microsoft did was requiring gold master source code from developers, then recompiling it in the XBox One environment. Their “backwards compatibility” is actually a flavour of port. If they had true backwards compatibility, you wouldn’t be limited to small lists of games, you’d be able to play just about everything.

The chip in the 360 was nowhere near the complexity of the cell, which is why so many developers had problems with the performance of games ported from 360 to PS3.

Yes, their "backwards compatibility" is just souped up emulation. To the consumer, none of that matters though. All they know, is that they can pop in Gears of War 2 they got 10 years ago and play it on their Xbox One.

Developers had trouble with the PS3 at launch in large part because Sony provided terrible API's and developer support. The fact that by 2008 third party devs largely had it figured out and games were being ported across 360/ps3/PC should show that it's not impossible to engineer a solution, it's just not what Sony wants to do.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Download the OST on your phone

Listen to it while playing the game

Change songs according to the current events happening

https://i.imgur.com/iWQSvbE.gifv

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

veni veni veni posted:

Bloodborne 2 lookin good

Away! Away!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

DrNutt posted:

Y'all talking about the map button? It's the map button, folks.

If it was a map button it would scroll and pinch to zoom.

Like come on lazy mother fuckers.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Samuringa posted:

Download the OST on your phone

Listen to it while playing the game

Change songs according to the current events happening

https://i.imgur.com/iWQSvbE.gifv

This is the video game equivalent of driving around with a boom box in your backseat because your car radio is busted.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So I'm making efforts to put this new hard drive into my PS4. Downloading games to my Flash Drive right now, can I take the save data and put it on my computer for safe keeping and then download more to it and add it to my computer? I have less than 2GB here.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
upload the save data to the cloud?
*if you have ps plus

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Guillermus posted:

Yeah, I really enjoyed the PS1/PS2/PS3 but I've soured on the brand with the PS4 due to Sony's closure of so many studios I liked, lack of backwards compatibility and locking multiplayer behind the PS+ paywall when pretty much all their exclusives are singleplayer games. Bloodborne is one of the best games that I've ever played but aside from that I doubt I'll enjoy much else exclusive-wise on the console aside from The Last of Us 2 (I really hope ND doesn't gently caress up the multiplayer with pay-to-win crap again) and maybe Death Stranding which seems 50/50 at this point.

I recently got an Xbox One X and it's been really fun getting to go back and replay old games (Burnout Revenge is still amazing) and I've never been a Halo fan but Forza & Gears have always been solid in my opinion and cover singleplayer/multiplayer bases really well. It's nice to have a console that's actually quiet for a change as well.

Everyone has different tastes but despite how unpopular it was I think Sony did a great job with the PS3 (especially with software) and they've since completely lost the plot and all that the PS4 seems to have going for it right now is Bloodborne and eventually The Last of Us 2. Would have loved if the Warhawk/Starhawk devs were around to put out another great multiplayer shooter, Sony Liverpool actually gave us a good racing game to play on the console (Wipeout HD & Fury was a masterpiece) and Guerilla Games remembered how fun Killzone 2 multiplayer was.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I mean the PS4 has God of War, Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, Shadow of the Colossus, Uncharted, Until Dawn, Infamous, Gran Turismo, etc. To say that all it has is Bloodborne is kinda crazy.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I know I was just talking about my personal tastes and disappointment at the heavy singleplayer focus after they lock multiplayer behind PS+.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

As a primarily PC gamer I have to say PS+ is a gigantic scam and I cannot believe people willingly pay Sony $60 or more a year to use the internet they already pay for with the PS4's super lovely onboard wifi! That is ridiculous to me, and getting a couple free games a month that you probably wouldn't have spent money on anyway is just insane. For the single-player experience though it can't be beat.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

SUNKOS posted:

I know I was just talking about my personal tastes and disappointment at the heavy singleplayer focus after they lock multiplayer behind PS+.

Well somebody needs to put a strong focus on singleplayer games, if only to continue to make EA look like complete loving idiots.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PS4 has FIFA, NHL, some Battlefield probably, and a Gran Turismo. What the gently caress else multi-player do you want :confused:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

TaurusOxford posted:

Well somebody needs to put a strong focus on singleplayer games, if only to continue to make EA look like complete loving idiots.

I really hope they lose their loot box gambling case because the Fifa franchise and EU market is pretty much their big money maker as far as I know so it will be hilarious if they get kneecapped there.

Also the best singleplayer developers are Arkane and From Software :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

exquisite tea posted:

As a primarily PC gamer I have to say PS+ is a gigantic scam and I cannot believe people willingly pay Sony $60 or more a year to use the internet they already pay for with the PS4's super lovely onboard wifi! That is ridiculous to me, and getting a couple free games a month that you probably wouldn't have spent money on anyway is just insane. For the single-player experience though it can't be beat.

I have been a PC gamer all my life, and PS4 gamer since the release of Destiny 1. And can confirm: PS+ is a giant scam.
It don't even work smoothly enough for a free service.

But we don't get a say, and if we want to play multiplayer games, we pay this PS+. I consider part of the cost of gaming on consoles, and move on.