Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Devor posted:

The desire path is probably on private property, they're not going to buy all that to build a sidewalk

Edit - yep! There's three lots in that corner, one of which has the existing house. The other two lots are undeveloped, where the beaten footpath is located.

That was what I was thinking, although I see how my post didn’t express that well.

Thanks for the fence logic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Peanut President posted:

I think you're all missing that the design of that intersection is so bad that cars are going through it the wrong way.

It was probably designed for a continent founded by a bunch of criminals

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Devor posted:

It was probably designed for a continent founded by a bunch of criminals
By criminals he means the British Empire in general.

The history of left hand/right hand driving around the world is weird.
https://www.worldstandards.eu/cars/driving-on-the-left/

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

Sri.Theo posted:

So what is a traffic engineer anyway?

In the UK I know we have civil engineers, highways engineers, transport planners and urban designers but nothing with that specific title.

Here in Dallas, we try to find the busiest highway in the metro, come up with a plan on how to fawk over the traveling public with a terrible traffic control plan in order to build what we try to pass off as an improvement to traffic flow.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

drunkill posted:

Someone isn't a fan:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/D...4!4d145.2861601

That is pretty tame though, compared to this 20km away.

Note, the linear park is a major water pipeline for the city, so nothing can go lower. That level crossing is being removed in the next 3 years, rail over road solution has been chosen I believe:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/D...4!4d145.2861601

I hate to be the traffic signal engineer on that project!!!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

From donoteat

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What the frick?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh92LirlCf8

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

This intersection seems like an easy fix:

Except, you can't touch the triangle in the middle because it's historic, and you can't touch the building south east of the church because it's infrastructure.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Elendil004 posted:

This intersection seems like an easy fix:

Except, you can't touch the triangle in the middle because it's historic, and you can't touch the building south east of the church because it's infrastructure.
Why is the building southeast of the church considered infrastructure? Or are you referring to the post office?

Varance fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 24, 2018

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Just make Library Square into a pseud-roundabout ur welcome

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Expand the square and shift it east, while converting the intersection into a T Junction. The square is improved and more accessible, while traffic is safer and more streamlined.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Varance posted:

Why is the building southeast of the church considered infrastructure? Or are you referring to the post office?

I actually can't be more specific but it can be considered an immovable object.

Kaal posted:

Expand the square and shift it east, while converting the intersection into a T Junction. The square is improved and more accessible, while traffic is safer and more streamlined.

Can you mspaint this? I don't follow ask the way through.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
kill the church, make a 4 way

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
It's because of trams, since right-turning traffic would normally block the ROW.

When you see it in practice (I think it's only right in the middle of Melbourne that hook turns are needed anyway) it makes sense.

As for the Library Square example, I dunno how much traffic the two side streets generate (the neighbourhood doesn't strike me as vibrant) but maybe just do some annoying poo poo with the synching of the traffic lights and call it a day.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

kill the church, make a 4 way

Can't, can't move infrastructure south of the church.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Elendil004 posted:

Ahh I thought that was the PO

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Elendil004 posted:

What is it, the Verizon building? I'd do three concepts, show the property takes for keep north, keep south leg, and meet half way. Half way would probably end up being most expensive in this case since you'd probably be hitting the main structures of the big properties, but people like to see lots of options.

The property takes/utility relocation for keeping the north leg would probably be really high. The historic impacts to the park might not look so bad with that context.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Turn it into a long traffic circle/oval around the central island and wash your hands of the matter

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

M_Gargantua posted:

Turn it into a long traffic circle/oval around the central island and wash your hands of the matter

You have traffic signals with multi-lane approaches - it almost certainly has the volume to make a traffic circle (and not a modern roundabout) unworkable. Roundabout would have more property impacts compared to a signalized intersection, not less.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Devor posted:

I'd do three concepts, show the property takes for keep north, keep south leg, and meet half way. Half way would probably end up being most expensive in this case since you'd probably be hitting the main structures of the big properties, but people like to see lots of options.

The property takes/utility relocation for keeping the north leg would probably be really high. The historic impacts to the park might not look so bad with that context.

Can you make a drawing or three? I can't tell what you mean by these options. I'm dumb.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Can you make a drawing or three? I can't tell what you mean by these options. I'm dumb.

Opt 1 keeps the south leg intact
Opt 2 keeps the north leg intact
Opt 3 splits the difference and goes through the middle

All three would obviously need refinements, I usually design in Microstation and not Microsoft Paint, no effort made for radii, etc

This type of study would only be done if there was a serious issue - safety, traffic, etc. The property impacts are obviously very large and expensive. I worked on a similar project where there was road widening programmed, and this type of 'dog-leg intersection' was acting as a major obstacle to getting the future widening done. I think it ended up being about a $4M project, maybe more.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think those all break the rule that the non-descript triangle of grass is sacred and can not be touched.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Baronjutter posted:

I think those all break the rule that the non-descript triangle of grass is sacred and can not be touched.

Sometimes they think that until we do a concept that shows a $1M project with historic impacts vs. a $5M project with no historic impacts, then they realize they're on board with spending $200k for NEPA work by our planning folks, plus some remediation/relocation of monument, etc.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Checking the area out on street view it really does seem like swapping the church driveway and the road would be the easiest solution.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Baronjutter posted:

Checking the area out on street view it really does seem like swapping the church driveway and the road would be the easiest solution.

Good idea - they could do a land swap and put the new parking lot where the existing road is - wipe out the house or two to the south.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Take the church's parking lot and give them the stub of road past it

e: dammit

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I have a feeling right now the option chosen will be 4. Do nothing but complain "Why is this intersection still so bad."

Public workshop this week though so I'll let you all know :)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ROUNDABOUT!

Who needs this church anyway?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I can’t believe you guys are not seeing the answer when it’s RIGHT THERE looking at you: merge Mansfield and Taunton with an overpass that goes over church.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

nielsm posted:

ROUNDABOUT!

Peanut President posted:

Just make Library Square into a pseud-roundabout ur welcome

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This whole area is an ultra-low density wasteland of mansions with Mitt Romney signs in their front lawns, gently caress em.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

We're not allowed the impact the square, they just put up a sweet new Gazebo

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9669128,-71.1881436,3a,62.4y,358.17h,84.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6uVDKYpbu6EitX78S15ivQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Do you how many hundreds of dollars it would cost to relocate that thing?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
no i mean this

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

nielsm posted:

ROUNDABOUT!

They've already paved the south part, just change the signage and you're all set

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
and before anyone asks "but mister carter how can a truck make that turn in the northeast" I say "gently caress you"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Solve your intersection problems by simply taking away all that darn state road traffic from Norton Center, especially that pesky traffic wanting to get to 495 but not originating in the center area.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

nielsm posted:

ROUNDABOUT!

I like this solution, assuming the turning radiuses are sufficient. Though I'd also include cutting out Library Road entirely and incorporate that land into the park, since there's Main St right next to it.

fishmech posted:

Solve your intersection problems by simply taking away all that darn state road traffic from Norton Center, especially that pesky traffic wanting to get to 495 but not originating in the center area.

This is probably the best solution if the constraints are "change nothing, but make it better".

Kaal fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 25, 2018

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

Devor posted:

All three would obviously need refinements, I usually design in Microstation and not Microsoft Paint, no effort made for radii, etc

You don't happen to live in the DFW area and is searching for a job?

Of know someone who is?

We got work coming out of our arses atm.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Or Charleston? Because ditto with work. Seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Devor posted:

We're not allowed the impact the square, they just put up a sweet new Gazebo

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9669128,-71.1881436,3a,62.4y,358.17h,84.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6uVDKYpbu6EitX78S15ivQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Do you how many hundreds of dollars it would cost to relocate that thing?

Check the other side of the park. I'm pretty sure that's a war memorial.