Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Class action lawsuit against Telltale:

https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/25/17901106/telltale-layoffs-lawsuit-warn-act

Apparently California law says a 100+ company has to give two months notice before major layoffs

Hopefully they get taken to the cleaners. If they had money to outsource games they had money to pay severances.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh no, it turns out treating labor as disposable and keeping all the management onboard so they can keep cashing Steam checks is a totally scumfucker thing to do.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Apparently California law says a 100+ company has to give two months notice before major layoffs

What is this going to even accomplish? If people are looking for money, how do they expect to get anything from a company that has nothing sitting in its bank account right now?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

Oh no, it turns out treating labor as disposable and keeping all the management onboard so they can keep cashing Steam checks is a totally scumfucker thing to do.

:capitalism:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I said come in! posted:

What is this going to even accomplish? If people are looking for money, how do they expect to get anything from a company that has nothing sitting in its bank account right now?

Presumably the court can order those steam checks being cashed by the skeleton crew executives to go towards paying severances

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

I said come in! posted:

the company that has no money but can also afford to loving pay people to finish a game for them who just aren't the people they were previously paying to finish the loving game

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cheetah7071 posted:

Presumably the court can order those steam checks being cashed by the skeleton crew executives to go towards paying severances

Also whatever Netflix is giving them to finish the Minecraft project.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Hopefully they get taken to the cleaners. If they had money to outsource games they had money to pay severances.

Good.

I hope they get their owed severance pay at the very least.

Scummy as gently caress to do this, and not have the funds to pay everyone what their owed.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I said come in! posted:

Steve Yun posted:

If they had money to outsource games they had money to pay severances.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately I think the most likely outcome of the Telltale lawsuit will be the company fully shutting down once they determine they would lose more money dealing with the lawsuit than they would staying open. I think that law only applies because they're still open but I don't think you legally owe your employees poo poo if the company completely shuts down.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Is it wrong that I want them to be hit really hard? When the news broke out I just thought it was as expected since TellTale released dud after dud, but reading about the completely brutal management and how it affected the people who worked at the time and the ones who were laid off, I just want to see their brand scorched.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't mind seeing the management burned alive, they sounded awful. This is America though, they will likely walk away from this even wealthier. :911:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

axelblaze posted:

Unfortunately I think the most likely outcome of the Telltale lawsuit will be the company fully shutting down once they determine they would lose more money dealing with the lawsuit than they would staying open. I think that law only applies because they're still open but I don't think you legally owe your employees poo poo if the company completely shuts down.

I hope this spurs game industry members to unionize

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

axelblaze posted:

The issue is that the WARN Act's out for companies to not need to alert employees because of "unforeseen circumstances" is an exception that is often abused and certainly appears to be abused in this situation.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

In Training posted:

I hope this spurs game industry members to unionize

:same:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The industry’s “you should just be elated to be here” culture might have to go first

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

The industry’s “you should just be elated to be here” culture might have to go first

They saw an opportunity to exploit all of those manchildren that wanted to become the next Hideo Kojima, and ran with it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I said come in! posted:

They saw an opportunity to exploit all of those manchildren that wanted to become the next Hideo Kojima, and ran with it.

Exploiting or demanding passion despite poor conditions is fairly universal, and it's kinda weird to call devs "manchildren" for it.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

new anti-union strategy: call unionizing game workers immature manchildren who are not capable of working the required manly 80 hours a week

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

I said come in! posted:

End them and force them to liquidate to pay out or end their contract and eat a full closure, becoming personally toxic to investors indefinitely. Game companies are companies, not special places where everything runs on dreams and the good will of employees.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm glad when I got the "big one" bundle last week I set the charity slider all the way to 100%. Normally I do a $1 company, $1 HB tip, rest charity but fuuuuuuuck telltale.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

al-azad posted:

I'm glad when I got the "big one" bundle last week I set the charity slider all the way to 100%. Normally I do a $1 company, $1 HB tip, rest charity but fuuuuuuuck telltale.

i give 100% devs except that time fez was in a bundle

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

bloodychill posted:

End them and force them to liquidate to pay out or end their contract and eat a full closure, becoming personally toxic to investors indefinitely. Game companies are companies, not special places where everything runs on dreams and the good will of employees.

and failing that, guillotine

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Incidentally California doesn’t play games with labor law. I was once fired from a position and wasn’t paid my last wages within 24 hours, as required by law. I made a labor board complaint after giving them two weeks to fix it and them giving me the run-around. Inside a month, they were fined $5k, and I received my pay and most of the fine.

The case with Telltale is equally open and shut and they were depending entirely on the good will of their ex-employees not to take them to the cleaners over this.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

I don't mind seeing the management burned alive, they sounded awful. This is America though, they will likely walk away from this even wealthier. :911:

I know capitalism makes it really easy to be pessimistic about this kinda thing but it really seems like an open-and-shut case here. They were kicked out of the office with absolutely nothing 30 minutes after being told they were fired and had to pick up their stuff the next day, it's absurd even for this industry.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Poniard posted:

new anti-union strategy: call unionizing game workers immature manchildren who are not capable of working the required manly 80 hours a week

Number of hours you work in a week and how little sleep is already some toxic masculinity poo poo at minimum.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Steve Yun posted:

winning the suit might be easy, actually getting the money will be the hard part

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

This fad is amazingly funny :newlol:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
They're already going to be paying money to their debtors, this is just a way to make them pay their former employees as part of that rather than absolutely nothing.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
WAHOO

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

axelblaze posted:

skimming the statute, it looks like theres a big ole exception saying it doesnt apply to people assigned to working on projects if the projects get cancelled

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

This makes me so sad

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

exploded mummy posted:

skimming the statute, it looks like theres a big ole exception saying it doesnt apply to people assigned to working on projects if the projects get cancelled

so they might still be able to screw their contractors but they'll need to pay out to their salarymans the way they should

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Samuringa posted:

Is it wrong that I want them to be hit really hard? When the news broke out I just thought it was as expected since TellTale released dud after dud, but reading about the completely brutal management and how it affected the people who worked at the time and the ones who were laid off, I just want to see their brand scorched.

That's not wrong at all. Telltale deserves to be raked over the loving coals for what they've pulled.

The only thing I want more than watching the executives go down in flames is for the former employees to get the severance they're owed.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

i give 100% devs except that time fez was in a bundle

Back when it was humble indie bundle I did an even split but I ain't giving ign and big publishers more money.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

That’s some serious bullshit that Telltale’s execs pulled. The worst part is that this is considered perfectly okay and normal in the game industry. More reason to keep the guillotine sharp.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

exquisite tea posted:

haha guys wouldn't it be so random if kirby was actually a sexy dragon princess, never thought of that before or drew sexy dragons just thinkin' out loud here. haha. well anyway, cya later.
That's Android 21, the boss of Dragonball FighterZ. Her special ability is stealing opponents' powers by eating them, so combined with her pink complexion the idea's not random at all and actually pretty clever.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

how do you eat an power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008