Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Did you add/ask for this or...?

Foreign person is driving
They slapped it on the car when we hired it. I know what it says, I think it's meant to imply "be patient, we aren't used to the roads".

God knows what the locals make of it, because we're not hanging about.

Who is driving? Foreigner is driving! How can this be?

KakerMix posted:

Your pictures really make me want to go visit Japan.
You should, it's great! This was my view as I wrote this:

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That's the dorkiest little car, does everything fold flat do you can use it to transport sheet goods A3 paper? :haw:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

KakerMix posted:

Tiny-rear end Rugger port pix are in.

This right here is a brand-new truck imho. Think I might re-paint the wheels to be the same gold/bronze that the decals are colored, that would look pretty sharp with some new meaty white lettered tires.
Saw that on their instagram this morning, wondered if it was yours.

Wife has started browsing auctions as well...

Of all the cool and odd stuff on there why am I constantly drawn towards things like this to use as a car hauler? https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-5FqDNWOxR7cZj7.htm

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 25, 2018

Riller
Jun 16, 2008
Does this thread have room for another clean (though not as clean as Kaker's) 1993 import?

Sorry about the small picture size, but it looks like they were taken by the same guy who took KakerMix's photos. I love that it already has BFG KOs in decent shape, and check out that tool kit built into the rear door. Also the tiny bear(?) on the keychain! :3:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

NitroSpazzz posted:

Saw that on their instagram this morning, wondered if it was yours.

Wife has started browsing auctions as well...

Of all the cool and odd stuff on there why am I constantly drawn towards things like this to use as a car hauler? https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-5FqDNWOxR7cZj7.htm

Whatever you linked is gone, there is no post-auction page. That's why I always screen grab because the auction be fickle.

Riller posted:

Does this thread have room for another clean (though not as clean as Kaker's) 1993 import?

Sorry about the small picture size, but it looks like they were taken by the same guy who took KakerMix's photos. I love that it already has BFG KOs in decent shape, and check out that tool kit built into the rear door. Also the tiny bear(?) on the keychain! :3:

Hell yeah it does, looks rad. Wonder why the spare (without white letters) is on the front left though, and the probably-used-to-be-there KO is hanging on the back?
Looks super clean to me, especially the bottom. Since it's at Port that means my Bongo and Rugger will be joining your Pajero on the ship :toot:

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Hell yeah it does, looks rad. Wonder why the spare (without white letters) is on the front left though, and the probably-used-to-be-there KO is hanging on the back?

I was wondering this as well, and I'm guessing that maybe they are putting the spare into rotation (this was new to me as I've never had a vehicle with a full-size, easily accessible spare) or maybe the KO on the back just got a nail in it or something and the spare was used right before it went to auction. Who knows? :shrug: Guess I'll find out when it gets here!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What's the green light on a stick on the front passenger corner of Riller's Mitsubishi?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Leperflesh posted:

What's the green light on a stick on the front passenger corner of Riller's Mitsubishi?

Looks like a corner identifier to me. It's directly above the far corner opposite of the driver. Tells you how close you can get to stuff when you're parking. I don't think I've ever seen one on anything smaller than a Peterbilt.

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

It's to assist in parking so you have a better visual aid to know exactly where the front corner of your vehicle is. Helps with parallel parking or tight spaces.

e: f; b

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Roads can be narrow as gently caress in Japan. I felt fine in the kei S660 but driving the R33 gtr had me paranoid as gently caress because it felt huge

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Looks like a corner identifier to me. It's directly above the far corner opposite of the driver. Tells you how close you can get to stuff when you're parking. I don't think I've ever seen one on anything smaller than a Peterbilt.

Lots of taller cars have them in Japan, especially if they're tall or spend a lot of time getting street-parked.

You also get a lot of dome mirrors on the hatches on the back too.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Lots of taller cars have them in Japan, especially if they're tall or spend a lot of time getting street-parked.

You also get a lot of dome mirrors on the hatches on the back too.

Weird that nobody does that here in nyc :confused:

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Someone buy this

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lHIVlntqYEad0hg.htm

Mtmd
Dec 29, 2008

Having taken the Hiace on a few short jaunts around the neighborhood while I sort out registration, you definitely want a manual in these things. They're all but impossible to find on the higher spec Hiace but lite/master/town aces come up with them frequently enough that I'd hold out for one. The auto is far from the worst example I've driven from that time period but it doesn't do the 98hp diesel any favors.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Riller posted:

I was wondering this as well, and I'm guessing that maybe they are putting the spare into rotation (this was new to me as I've never had a vehicle with a full-size, easily accessible spare) or maybe the KO on the back just got a nail in it or something and the spare was used right before it went to auction. Who knows? :shrug: Guess I'll find out when it gets here!

This is my bet. Which is a good thing (if that's even the case).

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Mtmd posted:

Having taken the Hiace on a few short jaunts around the neighborhood while I sort out registration, you definitely want a manual in these things. They're all but impossible to find on the higher spec Hiace but lite/master/town aces come up with them frequently enough that I'd hold out for one. The auto is far from the worst example I've driven from that time period but it doesn't do the 98hp diesel any favors.

Good to know!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Man those little Autozam sports cars are amazing

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Snowy posted:

Weird that nobody does that here in nyc :confused:

In NY, they don't give a poo poo about theirs or anyone else's car, and just park by braille, if what others have said is to be believed.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Darchangel posted:

In NY, they don't give a poo poo about theirs or anyone else's car, and just park by braille, if what others have said is to be believed.

Yeah it’s like bumper cars sometimes

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

KakerMix posted:

Whatever you linked is gone, there is no post-auction page. That's why I always screen grab because the auction be fickle.

It was this clean 1985 Atlas 150 with 23k km on it

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

COOL

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-aRSa2KVJB2YIy2.htm

Also this one sold for $639 https://auc.japancardirect.com/st-j1PWUtrIqTCcv.htm

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Godzilla in the mist?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Darchangel posted:

I visited NYC for the first time this summer, random body damage from parking seemed far more common than what I was used to.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
In a few years, might see if I can find a turbo AWD stagea. Those can't be THAT expensive, right? :v:

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Beverly Cleavage posted:

In a few years, might see if I can find a turbo AWD stagea. Those can't be THAT expensive, right? :v:

I'm sure they will be when they become legal in the US...

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Very good condition looking BE1 up for auction. Phone posting so no pics. https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-3hmqWSi4UU0offi.htm

It is automatic which is a shame. BE1s seem to be much more likely than other pike cars to be autos tho I have seen a manual before. Mathew at JCD didn’t even know they made manuals.

Manual Pao’s seem much more common. A funny thing about hunting for Paos at auction is that the blue and green colours are pretty close and due to Japanese cultural differences around color they’re always mislabeled. Annoyingly the quality of the auction photos is so bad that sometimes I honestly can’t tell what the color actually is.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I would hold out for a manual BE1. I have bid and lost a few in just a couple of months they come around.

I’m going out of town for 2 weeks but I’ve got word in I want a Sera pretty bad. Going to try to score one.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Be-1s are nice and cool, I'd like to get a manual transmission one eventually, if not the baby-food yellow color then the blue. I'd only go for OEM wheels though with the black plastic covers.

Really though one of you guys should go for this Rugger

Short wheelbase version too, I don't have the funds so it's lost to me, but dang I love these things.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Beverly Cleavage posted:

10-15k here in australia, we even have some of the later models kicking around

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

nice

Do the cars ever come with the original plates?

E- also, why do they love skinny tires?

They even use tractor wheels in this super good video that I may have seen here first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQyQnvbZ250

Double edit: this may be too modified

Snowy fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 28, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Snowy posted:

nice

Do the cars ever come with the original plates?

E- also, why do they love skinny tires?

They even use tractor wheels in this super good video that I may have seen here first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQyQnvbZ250

They shouldn't come with the plates as that's against Japanese law. Still can get them though.

For the skinny tires thing, OEMs are 175/80 16s. They come with pizza cutters.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Snowy posted:

that one went for under $200

Also, I've been wondering, do the auctions just pop up as they're listed or do they come up in predictable batches?

Snowy fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 29, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Snowy posted:

that one went for under $200

Also, I've been wondering, do the auctions just pop up as they're listed or do they come up in predictable batches?

Different houses run at different times during the week, but each auction itself can appear 3~ days before it's end time or 6 or less hours before. So TAA will run on Monday, ARAI on Friday, etc.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-MsXav4JvYks2V.htm

flying pug! somebody do it, you know how bad you want it.

You would almost certainly have one of the only flying pugs in the US

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Powershift posted:

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-MsXav4JvYks2V.htm

flying pug! somebody do it, you know how bad you want it.

You would almost certainly have one of the only flying pugs in the US

1998 :cop:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Well that's legal here in Canada, one of the canadians do it :colbert:

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

10 more years :negative:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
What did it sell for?

The Bongo is still cooler.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

bolind posted:

What did it sell for?

The Bongo is still cooler.

Looks like around 5,000 USD, final price is listed as 4890 but then 'sold by nego'

Sometimes when the highest bidder doesn't meet the reserve the seller might start a negotiation. Hell of a deal for a 4 door, 2003, diesel Toyota Hilux with AC and 57000 km. Seats look trashed but hey so what :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Hey KakerMix could you give your impressions of what your Jimnys are like to drive? What would be the closest comparable? Like a Jeep Wrangler is somewhat similar in style.

I remain pretty curious about importing a Jimny. I wonder if there could be a market for them here in Vancouver BC. People like to go camping and Jeep Wranglers are super prevalent on the streets.