Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

My biggest problem was for all the tools they gave you. Sprinting to the end with a scout ignoring enemies was how to S levels. And that rank being tied to XP was the real problem. If there was no mechanical incentive I could ignore it.

While round speed is still your rank This one has more things to stop you from doing that. Like the demo objective requiring snipers to complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

nerd_of_prey posted:

Looking forward to continuing Valkyria chronicles 4, really enjoyed the demo except for the sexism

??? It has women on the front lines and a male character who is a feminist. If anything I would expect to hear people bitching that it has a trans person in your army, along with the aforementioned feminist, before people talking about it being sexist. The women in skirts are the only ones you can't rotate in the model viewer even. Like I really must've missed something in the demo.

Leal fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 25, 2018

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Totally reasonable. I didn't think they'd immediately feed your saves into a mulcher at the stroke of midnight the day your sub lapses, but I also don't know how long it took for it to happen to muh pokemans

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Leal posted:

The women in skirts are the only ones you can't rotate in the model viewer even.

That sounds pretty sexist :monocle:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Keito posted:

That sounds pretty sexist :monocle:

Never forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWsyp-R61Y0

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

??? It has women on the front lines and a male character who is a feminist. If anything I would expect to hear people bitching that it has a trans person in your army, along with the aforementioned feminist, before people talking about it being sexist. The women in skirts are the only ones you can't rotate in the model viewer even. Like I really must've missed something in the demo.

There is the one guy who makes advances on the women, but I'm suspecting it'll be part of his character development given the rest of the game's content.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

But I was backpacking through Nicaragua with my Switch for 181 days, and my subscription lapsed and now I lost all my saves!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Astro7x posted:

But I was backpacking through Nicaragua with my Switch for 181 days, and my subscription lapsed and now I lost all my saves!

Nintendo fucks us again!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

There is the one guy who makes advances on the women, but I'm suspecting it'll be part of his character development given the rest of the game's content.

Oh its one of those internet hyperbole things then. I was expecting something like a drawn out scene at military command where your CO tells you to have all women attend the mess hall for cooking duty.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

So, I haven't played the VC4 demo yet, although it may not answer this question, but is it the kind of game that has permanent progress or choices? Like in Fire Emblem games where characters can die or miss out on exp and you can't necessarily redo levels or grind to fix it. Stuff like that isn't really my cup of tea.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Sam Faust posted:

So, I haven't played the VC4 demo yet, although it may not answer this question, but is it the kind of game that has permanent progress or choices? Like in Fire Emblem games where characters can die or miss out on exp and you can't necessarily redo levels or grind to fix it. Stuff like that isn't really my cup of tea.

You chose what class to level, everyone in that class advances. If you use individuals a lot they get a special side mission that make their negative personal traits better.

So theres a good balance of new people being usable right away and using people makes them better. Does have that game thing where now that you leveled someone completely you want to swap them out for someone new. (Rachet and clank weapon problem).

There was permidewth, I think its here? But you have time in battle to save people and if a plot person main character dies you fail the mission.

Its 100 time less hardcore than fire emblem.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sam Faust posted:

Characters can die for good if you let them buy it’s rather hard to do that.

That’s about it. There are specific missions you can grind if you want

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
If vg247 is to be believed the sexism is endemic to the whole game and not at all portrayed in a negative light. https://www.vg247.com/2018/09/25/valkyria-chronicles-4-sexual-harassment-problem/

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I like the first VC and then the second and third ones were only on PSP and the spinoff one wasn't a VC game mechanically so I'm looking forward to 4 and also on the Switch

It's always like a bonus when a game releases on the Switch

Port all games to the Switch under threat of death whether they run at 60 fps or not

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Sam Faust posted:

There is permadeath if you have someone hit 0 hp and then let them bleed out. Kinda hard to have happen as you have an ability from the start that flat out lets you retreat any unit anywhere on the map. I've ran a scout in front of 3 enemies, immediately ended my turn and then used it to get her out of there.

For xp you level every unit in the same class at once, and you can always rerun missions to get more xp, on top of skirmish maps that you can also rerun for more xp.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I'm glad we aren't getting a Genesis VC now that the 50 game Genesis collection is coming to the Switch. I wish Nintendo would release collections of 50 games for $30. It'd be perfect if they added Sonic 3 on the Switch version.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Spacebump posted:

I'm glad we aren't getting a Genesis VC now that the 50 game Genesis collection is coming to the Switch. I wish Nintendo would release collections of 50 games for $30. It'd be perfect if they added Sonic 3 on the Switch version.

Almost everything I'd want out of a genesis collection is there, I'll get that digitally for sure.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I skipped The Messenger chat earlier to avoid spoilers. I spent a few hours with it, at first I was really enjoying it but once it started to get a little hardcore with the platforming my enjoyment dropped off pretty fast. Not because I don't enjoy things being difficult, but because it felt like a coin toss between getting the character to do the jump after attacking things or flopping around in the air and dying because instead of jumping my character is trying to glide.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

Ohtsam posted:

If vg247 is to be believed the sexism is endemic to the whole game and not at all portrayed in a negative light. https://www.vg247.com/2018/09/25/valkyria-chronicles-4-sexual-harassment-problem/

In the demo I noticed in some of cut scenes they had times when the camera would linger on a female characters chest before panning up to their face. Raz who is one of the main 'good 'characters is just a sexist jerk but its just treated like its a personality quirk to laugh at, i don't think he will have a redemption arc because it isn't treated like a big deal, just anime wackiness. It's nowhere near the level of sexism present in something like omega labyrinth but it is definitely there and noticeable to people who are sensitive to it. I read the article and I hope the sexism isn't as bad as she says because I do like the game.

Gameplay is good, the art is lovely and it is enjoyable to play!

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

OK, thanks for the responses. That all sounds like it's not gonna bother me. I'll probably pick it up.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

nerd_of_prey posted:

In the demo I noticed in some of cut scenes they had times when the camera would linger on a female characters chest before panning up to their face. Raz who is one of the main 'good 'characters is just a sexist jerk but its just treated like its a personality quirk to laugh at, i don't think he will have a redemption arc because it isn't treated like a big deal, just anime wackiness. It's nowhere near the level of sexism present in something like omega labyrinth but it is definitely there and noticeable to people who are sensitive to it. I read the article and I hope the sexism isn't as bad as she says because I do like the game.

Gameplay is good, the art is lovely and it is enjoyable to play!

I think a lot of people are just used to cringing and moving on. If you can cringe, ignore it, and enjoy the gameplay and rest of the story go for it. The entire world isn't going to change overnight. We are making progress, but change is always slow.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

pixaal posted:

I think a lot of people are just used to cringing and moving on. If you can cringe, ignore it, and enjoy the gameplay and rest of the story go for it. The entire world isn't going to change overnight. We are making progress, but change is always slow.

Yep, that's true! It's also a good game because it came with a free dog sticker in the game case, I can overlook a lot for a good sticker.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Wrong thread

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 25, 2018

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

VC4 is great. Raz is a pervy dick and gets his poo poo kicked in by the other characters for it. I can only see it being an issue if you are REALLY sensitive to that stuff.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

pixaal posted:

There is a starting scout that is canonically trans/non-binary, so, there is something. I fully expect the execution of their Squad Story (the side op you unlock with a personal story for that unit) to be clumsily handled at best. But, as I said it's something, I suppose. It's not a bad thing to ask for better, though.

Outside of that groadiness, I've been really enjoying the combat.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

LemonAIDS posted:

VC4 is great. Raz is a pervy dick and gets his poo poo kicked in by the other characters for it. I can only see it being an issue if you are REALLY sensitive to that stuff.

He doesn’t really he is treated as the loveable scamp. If that is your definition of getting your poo poo kicked in you might be a bit sensitive.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I don't want to freak anyone out but we are only about 9 weeks away from Smash.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

I don't want to freak anyone out but we are only about 9 weeks away from Smash.

What if I told you Im not going to smash a bro?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I'm pretty pumped for the DBFZ port in 3 days.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Wandersong comes out on Thursday, and I think that cool looking marble game, Marble It Up comes out this Saturday.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Barudak posted:

W̷͉͖h͚̱̬a̩̜̠̣ţ̖͖̗ ͓̬̥̩̯i̡f̢̲̞̝͖ I̧̹ ̞̙̭̹̹t͖̱̰̩̜͎o̻l͕͕͉̺d҉̝ ̬y̙ǫ̙̜u̻͔̦̣̠ ̴͔͈̣̝̲̭̱I̸̗̳̞̫̠m̗̜͕̭͡ ͝n̸̹͈ͅo̰̹̦̜̱t͝ ̧̣̖͔̱͚͙͎g̡̤̹̝̝̯̠òi̦̤̭̺̹̖n̖̙g͚̝ ̭̗͎͖t͕͖͢o͎͍̠͉̙̜ ̤̙̻̱͉̮̭s̴͇̫͕ma̘͉̯sh̨̜̗̲̝̭̫̠ ͎̤̪̪͔̲̺͡a̵͈͎̜ ̭̝̹͈ḅ̬͉r̗̥͢o̤̙?̶͚̪̘͖͉̟
Huh?? What the

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

The Silver Snail posted:

Wandersong comes out on Thursday, and I think that cool looking marble game, Marble It Up comes out this Saturday.

Wandersong looks super charming, definitely going to pick that up sometime

Alwa's Awakening unlocks in a few days too, so many games coming out....

This is wonderful :kimchi:
https://twitter.com/h2oprism/status/1044459045795454976

Knorth fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 25, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
A sergeant confiscated a recruit's pin up poster and returned it after jizzing all over it, Valkyria 11/10

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Ohtsam posted:

I thought maybe it wasn't as bad as they made it sound but given how all the comments on the article are "actually, sexism in games is good", the game must be beyond defense. Oh well.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Licarn posted:

I thought maybe it wasn't as bad as they made it sound but given how all the comments on the article are "actually, sexism in games is good", the game must be beyond defense. Oh well.

Those comments are as reactionary as the article.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Don't defend sexism in any context.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Anime, definitely a thing that does not have a problem with sexism.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Playing the new Musou Orochi I am again reminded how much I like how the male and female characters young and old always get equal respect from each other in that series. They're all just happy friends playing war together.

I bought it on the PS4 and not the Switch though. I have two other Musou games for the Switch and they are okay but the frame rate is always just a bit lower and the draw distance is always just a bit closer.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

Those comments are as reactionary as the article.

The article isn’t very reactionary? It’s a rather honest showing of the games issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Playing the new Musou Orochi I am again reminded how much I like how the male and female characters young and old always get equal respect from each other in that series. They're all just happy friends playing war together.

I bought it on the PS4 and not the Switch though. I have two other Musou games for the Switch and they are okay but the frame rate is always just a bit lower and the draw distance is always just a bit closer.

I forgot a new orochi was coming out soon. I might have to get that one at some point.

• Locked thread