Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Dagon posted:

I did. The references to older seasons are few and can be mostly put together from context.

Yep, same. They actually recommend against starting with their early stuff, because of bad audio quality etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

And ... sorta on the albino bit. I mean yeah, cave-dwellers in the real world lose their pigmentation over time, but that's because they're in dark caves, among other blind creatures, where that's not a problem. So for drow, it would depend on what else sharing the underdark with them was sighted. If you assume "occasional light sources like luminescent fungi, tons of shadows, other beings who can see with real eyes" then jet-black skin would be good for camouflage whereas a pale albino elf would stick out. :v:

The loss of pigmentation is also because there's a selective pressure that significantly reduces the fitness of animals that have to produce unnecessary pigments. If there's no such selective pressure on a population, it'll keep its pigmentation even though it's not optimum fitness. It's also possible that the Drow are an ethnicity of black/purple/grey/brown/dark-skinned elves who only recently (on an evolutionary scale) settled underground. As a dominant civilization with few natural predators, the Drow would not have a pressure on them to evolve a lack of pigmentation, and may not have had time.

Consider: white South Africans are still adapted to North and Western Europe despite living in southern Africa, and the native Greenlanders did not have a pressure on them to evolve light skin because their cuisine had sufficient vitamin D.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Subjunctive posted:

Can I jump in at Marielda, or do I need to listen to the first season played in DW first?

O yeah totally, and I recommend it.

There are a few (as in 2-3 in the whole arc) jokes about earlier episodes out of character, but not even like bits just someone referencing a thing and everyone laughs. The closest thing to “missing out” is you won’t get that they’re riffing off of their own weird pantheon of gods they made up, cause you’re coming in with it fully formed already. Which should be fine.

Maybe maybe maybe if you really hate picking up on things through context listen to the episodes right before where they play The Quiet Year and talk about the history of Marielda as a city? If you fall into that group.

It’s really fine to just jump in.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Xiahou Dun posted:

Maybe maybe maybe if you really hate picking up on things through context listen to the episodes right before where they play The Quiet Year and talk about the history of Marielda as a city? If you fall into that group.

It’s really fine to just jump in.

I’m actually interested in the Quiet Year stuff in its own right, so that’s great.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Yawgmoth posted:

stealing this so hard

I'm reminded of how dragons apparently often start kicking out their kobold servants as they get more powerful and are able to attract and control more powerful agents, much to the dismay and resentment of the kobolds, but I bet as they get old enough it turns around since kobolds are clever, hardworking and ridiculously loyal, they're much more ideal for long-term projects, not to mention building more traps around your hoard than anyone can count.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Apparently Pathfinder Kingmaker reviews slams it for having WoW-like progression and loot plus scaling. Well, well, well,

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Plutonis posted:

Apparently Pathfinder Kingmaker reviews slams it for having WoW-like progression and loot plus scaling. Well, well, well,

lol if this means Pathfinder is finally falling victim to people starting to complain about what was exactly the same or ten times worse in the previous edition that they only notice now the nostalgia goggles are off.

Dec 26, 2012

Plutonis posted:

lol

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So apparently some interesting things are coming from Schwalb Entertainment in the near future;

http://www.blackcandlegames.com/rob-schwalb-interview/

I'm especially liking the looks of The Forest Hymn & Picnic

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

drrockso20 posted:

So apparently some interesting things are coming from Schwalb Entertainment in the near future;

http://www.blackcandlegames.com/rob-schwalb-interview/

I'm especially liking the looks of The Forest Hymn & Picnic
I'm worried about the blood and poop levels of most of them but I am extremely interested in Free Companies of Four Towers.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Splicer posted:

I'm worried about the blood and poop levels of most of them but I am extremely interested in Free Companies of Four Towers.

I think by now they realized the potential issues that has since most of their new stuff seems relatively light on it if it has any at all

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

From a Steam review:

loving :laffo: if true.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Was Kingmaker the isometric game they kickstarted after Pathfinder Online when it would have made more sense to do an isometric game instead of Pathfinder Online because there was still a retro itch for isometrics then?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Was Kingmaker the isometric game they kickstarted after Pathfinder Online when it would have made more sense to do an isometric game instead of Pathfinder Online because there was still a retro itch for isometrics then?

Yep.

Dec 26, 2012

Slimnoid posted:

From a Steam review:

loving :laffo: if true.

Yeah, not the smartest decision overall.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
As far as I understand, Pathfinder: Kingmaker has almost no connection to actual Paizo. Owlcat came to Paizo wanting to make the game, not the other way around, and while I have no idea what time that was relative to Pathfinder: Online finally decaying away, because time has lost meaning in the last two or three years, I'm pretty sure it was just good fortune on the timing and nothing else.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

01011001 posted:

Yeah, not the smartest decision overall.

Idk, how many of the old infinity engine games let you make your entire party and at the start of the game? It makes a lot of sense to limit you to mostly pregens, both to ensure some difficulty by limiting toolkit and also to make up for any lack of system mastery the player might lack (or counter their urge to build something optimal in tabletop that just doesn't work on the pc)
Like nwn was a pretty fun game, but powerwise you the scary 'I win' wizard build was more like what Monte Cook and the early 3rd devs thought would dominate the table, going for all the charm spells not so much.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
Pillers of eternity lets you create custom party members for a much lower fee, really thats the audience you are aiming for in this day and age.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/felipepepe/status/1044755762516377600

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

lol and I remember thinking it was pretty cool when I first read sourcebooks that defaulted to 'her' or used examples of male and female characters and even *gasp* sometimes had player gender not match character.
For all of White Wolf's very cringe-y poo poo, they were at least ahead of the curve there, back in the 90's

RE: kingmaker chargen, but pillars is pretty well balanced isn't it? I'm just assuming kingmaker at least has roots in d&d and more fiddly bits but I haven't played it so I'm just speaking from assumptions and genre norms, rather than comparing it to best in genre.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 26, 2018

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Coolness Averted posted:

RE: kingmaker chargen, but pillars is pretty well balanced isn't it? I'm just assuming kingmaker at least has roots in d&d and more fiddly bits but I haven't played it so I'm just speaking from assumptions and genre norms, rather than comparing it to best in genre.

It's literally the Pathfinder adventure path adapted as close as they could get it, including the Pathfinder rules that they could put in.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ProfessorCirno posted:

As far as I understand, Pathfinder: Kingmaker has almost no connection to actual Paizo. Owlcat came to Paizo wanting to make the game, not the other way around, and while I have no idea what time that was relative to Pathfinder: Online finally decaying away, because time has lost meaning in the last two or three years, I'm pretty sure it was just good fortune on the timing and nothing else.

Pathfinder Online hasn't quite decayed away yet. Or, well, Lisa Stevens was claiming it hadn't as of last GenCon but it looks to be paralyzed and on life support. I don't think there was any deep correlation or logic behind Pathfinder Online being kickstarted before an isometric game, anyway. It's just always funny that Paizo approved of an MMO before literally any other kind of video game.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I really like this image because on the left it showcases the worst of your bog-standard isometric fantasy RPG, a barren and uninteresting expanse of <%placename> filled with literally twos of characters, and on the right it demonstrates the worst of video games in general where you spend a bunch of extra money for a handful of promises and horseshit.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Coolness Averted posted:

Idk, how many of the old infinity engine games let you make your entire party and at the start of the game?

All of them.

No really. Start a multiplayer game, create your entire party, and roll out.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

LuiCypher posted:

All of them.

No really. Start a multiplayer game, create your entire party, and roll out.

And that's just Baldur's Gate. Icewind Dale operated completely under the assumption you were going to custom build your entire party at the beginning.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

S.J. posted:

And that's just Baldur's Gate. Icewind Dale operated completely under the assumption you were going to custom build your entire party at the beginning.

Yeah, BG was the most story-based for companions and you could still just build a party. ID was a straight up take on the old Gold Box pure dungeon crawlers in isometric view.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
From what I understand you come across enemies immune to all physical damage real early on, so I guess at least it's teaching you the important things of Pathfinder, such as "don't be a non-caster."

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, BG was the most story-based for companions and you could still just build a party. ID was a straight up take on the old Gold Box pure dungeon crawlers in isometric view.

I don't think PS:T lets you do it? And the BG method is arguably an exploit.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

ProfessorCirno posted:

From what I understand you come across enemies immune to all physical damage real early on, so I guess at least it's teaching you the important things of Pathfinder, such as "don't be a non-caster."

Gargoyles or something? Holy poo poo that's hilarious. Did they literally just port the rules over to the TT and make it pauseable real-time, or...?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Nope torment didn't and neither did the fallouts (which I thought were infinity too but maybe not)

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

ProfessorCirno posted:

That is such lovely design without the game screaming at you not to go there or giving a ton of consumables. But then again I really hate poo poo like that.
Hell the game I was at a few weeks ago sorta did that. Our new player was really excited to try unconventional stuff like using heat metal in combat at random times, and the dm cheerfully explained that's not really the use for that, but that it's really effective on things like constructs. Sure enough later on we fight constructs. But these ones are immune to that spell because their creator was smart and built in safeguards against the most common ways to disable constructs.
Like I don't think he was being actively malicious and egging her on to waste spellslots, but he was operating in the groggy 'simulationist' mindset when building the adventure and generating the characters for us.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

What edition were you playing? In the editions I'm familiar with Heat Metal doesn't even work on constructs most of the time, unless they're equipped with weapons or armor that aren't physically part of their body, in which case it works just like it does on anyone else with metal weapons.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'm putting together spell lists for awizard in GURPS.

Spell Prerequisites!
:argh:

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Torment doesn't even let you create the main character.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Torment is more of an adventure game that accidentally got some RPG combat elements sprinkled in

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Real time with pause it atrocious and any Dev who uses it should be imprisoned for their crimes.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Nuns with Guns posted:

Pathfinder Online hasn't quite decayed away yet. Or, well, Lisa Stevens was claiming it hadn't as of last GenCon but it looks to be paralyzed and on life support. I don't think there was any deep correlation or logic behind Pathfinder Online being kickstarted before an isometric game, anyway. It's just always funny that Paizo approved of an MMO before literally any other kind of video game.
Well, you see, they had none other than Ryan "The Steve Jobs of MMO Marketing" Dancey on-board. How could they fail?!

Also "paralyzed and on life support" has been the PFO status quo for like two years or so, now. The servers will probably stay online until the last of the faithful die-hards finally stop paying their exorbitatnt subscription fees.

fool_of_sound posted:

Real time with pause it atrocious and any Dev who uses it should be imprisoned for their crimes.
I was going to quibble about how Pillars of Eternity actually managed to make the individual clock ticks meaningful, but then remembered that, despite numerous attempts, I just can't seem to enjoy Pillars of Eternity ... so, yeah. Turn-based, real-time, or bust.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

Absolutely this

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fool_of_sound posted:

not an empty quote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

fool_of_sound posted:

:agreed: