Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Does anyone know of a convenient way to draw up positioning/movement diagrams for Savage or whatever? It doesn't have to be XIV specific, but something a bit more convenient and pretty than MS Paint would be nice.

Also, is it too early to break out the winter outfits? Of course not, it's always winter in Ishgard.

It is never too early for F A S H I O N

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ytlaya posted:

It was particularly absurd when Lyse got all angry at them not joining. Like, gently caress off, this village has apparently already lost like half its young people to rebellion and the dude explicitly stated they can't afford to lose many more. They're 100% correct when they say you don't understand.

I like how even in the end most people still don't join and you don't get the approval of the village chief guy; it's considered a victory just that you got a handful.

I'm terrible with "too many button" issues and DRK is the easiest class I've played so far.

Yeah, stormblood rules.

Also, you're in the meat of what is the "weak" part of the story. :allears:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Does anyone know of a convenient way to draw up positioning/movement diagrams for Savage or whatever? It doesn't have to be XIV specific, but something a bit more convenient and pretty than MS Paint would be nice.

Also, is it too early to break out the winter outfits? Of course not, it's always winter in Ishgard.

Holy heck these are really good

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I didn't know you could play this on ps2.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The Grimace posted:

Like others have said, Minfilia and Yda aren't highlander models because highlander females didn't exist in 1.0. Maybe the plot could explain their differences to other Ala Mhigans by saying that their muscle tone and poo poo are determined by their proximity to Gyr Abania or something.

SImilarly, when 1.0 was made they hadn't finely tuned enough concerning Miqo'te lore, so although F'lhaminn's a Seeker of the Moon, she has Seeker of the Sun naming conventions. I think they try to explain that by saying her ancestry is convoluted.

They basically explained the Miqo'te that have traits of both tribes as being hybrids.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Ibblebibble posted:

Sounds like a dumbass to me.

The skill with the funny name, Adloquium, is a shield spell. You basically want to pop it on the tank during pulls and when you see big hitting skills come out. Don't spam it, it eats up mana like crazy. Usually your fairy is enough to keep people topped off but if it's not, then you break out Physick.

This is from a couple pages back, but while flare is big and flashy and gets all the praise, adloquium is low key the best spell in the game. There’s nothing better than fishing on your warrior tank with all healing bonuses popped and hooking a 30k crit so the shield is 60k, spreading it to the raid, and giving god kefka the biggest middle finger imaginable as he tries to pound your raid into oblivion, the particle effects and dust settle, and it didn’t even break your shields.

Be sure to push your glasses up when you do it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Scholars are the IT department of Eorzea, where when you bring them, nobody takes any damage and you say "WHY DID WE BRING YOU ANYWAY YOU'RE JUST A WASTE OF DPS".

So then you don't bring one, everyone dies, and the healers get poo poo on anyway.

e: So then BLMs stand in AoEs (myself included), die, and blame the healers for not doing their jobs.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
The best part of SCH is getting yelled at for "not healing" because 90% of your heals are oGCD.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Let me use Carbuncle instead of fairies and I'll play SCH again

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Harrow posted:

Let me use Carbuncle instead of fairies and I'll play SCH again

:yeah:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mango Polo posted:

Watch it be the Rev

This was probably one of the more obscure Ivalice races, short of those seer guys that kept their eyes closed all the time.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm looking forward to getting that "heal when HP drops below 50%" ability at 62, because it will reduce even further the time that I have to spend actually actively healing.

Also I totally forgot about Adloquim's "double shield on healing crit" aspect, so I'm happy someone brought that up. I'll need to keep an eye out for crits so I can spread those shields.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Anyone had any luck PuG'ing Suzaku ex? The static I'm in are absolutely terrible at learning and progressing :suicide:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Stalins Moustache posted:

Anyone had any luck PuG'ing Suzaku ex? The static I'm in are absolutely terrible at learning and progressing :suicide:

I've run it maybe 15 times, most with mostly pugs (but never so far with all eight people fresh). It's completely puggable but one or two people who keep derping at bad times will get frustrating fast. Voice chat helps a ton but the main thing is to be able to understand for yourself how colors phases work so you can just move where you need to even if nobody is doing call-outs.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

small bird pudding posted:

Which pants and boots are you wearing? Super cute.
Taoist's slops, high house halfboots, Tantalus breeches, and survival boots.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So with all the Bowsette and <mario character>ette making its rounds, when does Omegaette start showing up?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Leal posted:

So with all the Bowsette and <mario character>ette making its rounds, when does Omegaette start showing up?

It's in the game already

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
I've pugged susex and o9s so far without spending toooo much time. The rule of thumb is that the longer it takes for you to get a clear, the harder it becomes for you to get a clear in PF since all the good people have kills already. By week 3/4 pugging the extreme trial/first two savage fights gets a lot more difficult I find

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Stalins Moustache posted:

Anyone had any luck PuG'ing Suzaku ex?

Not one clear yet with pugs or my static.

end my suffering :cry:

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
Honestly the key to clearing content in PF is recognizing groups that just can't do the fight and abandoning them ASAP. I'm not saying leave after two wipes every time but if the group is clearly hopeless then it's better not to waste your time

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
I cleared a bunch in PF last night. I was probably the biggest liability, frankly, and I still put up good numbers. I just kept forgetting when the knockbacks/vacuums are and wasn't watching for them.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Tanking in heels. Your chiropractor bill must be enormous!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
That's not me. That's what you call an internet meymey

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The nice thing about the push/pull in Suzie Q Ex is they are spaced out enough that Surecast is always available for them and Arm's Length is too, except for the very last one. Sucks for bards I guess, but they don't need to hold still anyway.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I really dig this raid tier in the Alphascape so I'm considering finally breaking out of the casual zone and joining a static. I think the toughest thing will be finding one that'll fit my schedule and tolerate me being a rookie to high level duties.

But I also think that committing myself to such a thing will kill all my enthusiasm for the game. Decisions, decisions...

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

It's in the game already

Specifically lewds

ArtIsResistance posted:

Honestly the key to clearing content in PF is recognizing groups that just can't do the fight and abandoning them ASAP. I'm not saying leave after two wipes every time but if the group is clearly hopeless then it's better not to waste your time

I am the guy who leaves after the first wipe.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SettingSun posted:

I really dig this raid tier in the Alphascape so I'm considering finally breaking out of the casual zone and joining a static. I think the toughest thing will be finding one that'll fit my schedule and tolerate me being a rookie to high level duties.

But I also think that committing myself to such a thing will kill all my enthusiasm for the game. Decisions, decisions...

If you want to play with goons there are plenty of statics that will tolerate a rookie, and even help you git gud, as long as you're not a straight up paint chip eater. Hop in the Catgirl Bargains discord and check the serious business section, and there should be at least one static that matches as long as you're not a Euro or on a JP server, I don't think that you can queue cross region, but you can definitely do static groups across multiple servers.

Also, progression is really fun, and it can bring a revitalized sense of awesome to the game because the fights are hard at first and then get easier as your regular group gets good at them, and you gear up.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 25, 2018

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

After trying out SAM in Alphascape normal to train myself for using it as an alt, it turns out that being a MCH since 4.1 has atrophied my melee self-preservation instinct to nearly nothing.

I just want my big Midares :(

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ibblebibble posted:

After trying out SAM in Alphascape normal to train myself for using it as an alt, it turns out that being a MCH since 4.1 has atrophied my melee self-preservation instinct to nearly nothing.

I just want my big Midares :(

This is basically me on every pull of O10S since he likes to interrupt my the end of my opener with his first Murder Everything With An X. Assuming I time the pull properly with the tank, I get about two frames of wiggle room to land one of my hits and escape to safety without dropping a gcd.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Suzaku ex and her quick jump not 15 seconds in is mean :smith:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

orange juche posted:

If you want to play with goons there are plenty of statics that will tolerate a rookie, and even help you git gud, as long as you're not a straight up paint chip eater. Hop in the Catgirl Bargains discord and check the serious business section, and there should be at least one static that matches as long as you're not a Euro or on a JP server, I don't think that you can queue cross region, but you can definitely do static groups across multiple servers.

Also, progression is really fun, and it can bring a revitalized sense of awesome to the game because the fights are hard at first and then get easier as your regular group gets good at them, and you gear up.

On top of that, if anything being in a good static will revitalize your entire game experience because you'll have good players to do things like EX primals and new story content with. 24 mans are just a thing you do for the story and maybe glamour if you want, but as far as actual gear goes they don't matter anymore. You won't have to run many experts, and usually you'll just do your like one expert per week with static members and discover that the reason dungeons take so long is pubbies don't push buttons. Last week I capped on genesis because we finally started breaking out our massive backlog of maps to do some gambling and make some money, didn't run a single expert all week.

It'll make the game harder for a little while, as long as it takes to learn your new fights, and then everything else in the game becomes less grindy and you just kind of do what you actually want to do instead of feeling you need to, and once your static has the fights down, it's more a matter of showing up on tuesday for a couple hours to pound it all out and then do whatever you want the rest of the week, with the biggest benefit being no more pubbies if you don't want to bother with them.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SettingSun posted:

There are casual statics, don't be disillusioned! Not too many hours a week and you'll get to learn how to handle mechanics.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Thundarr posted:

The nice thing about the push/pull in Suzie Q Ex is they are spaced out enough that Surecast is always available for them and Arm's Length is too, except for the very last one. Sucks for bards I guess, but they don't need to hold still anyway.

I just want a clear. Tanks, please, move out of Phantom Flurry. :negative:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Almost all goon statics are pretty casual from what I've seen, there's not a massive assload of progression content that must be ground each week because WoW raids are not a thing in FFXIV. In my experience, bad performing statics tend to have ragers and toxic people, but if you are in a good one, you'll have a great time.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Thundarr posted:

This is basically me on every pull of O10S since he likes to interrupt my the end of my opener with his first Murder Everything With An X. Assuming I time the pull properly with the tank, I get about two frames of wiggle room to land one of my hits and escape to safety without dropping a gcd.

You can stand at absolute max melee range and still avoid that aoe, though it's pretty tight.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Thanks guys, I’ll pop into the discord and poke around for statics.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Thundarr posted:

It turns out that convincing people who have been oppressed for an entire generation to rise up against the military occupation of their homeland is kind of hard, and being an anime protagonist is not by itself a sufficient argument.

This is honestly one of my favorite things about the FFXIV plot and why I think it works so well. It's still a FF game, so everything is going to turn out alright in the end, but the steps it takes to get there often feel realistic and like, weighty. Everything isn't just magically solved by being the protagonist.

I think my favorite example of that is like halfway through HW when the WoL gets hit with the sleep poison by the waitress who's trying to protest peace with Dravania, and Emmanellain freaks the gently caress out and straight up has her shot to death. And it's not treated as "well, she was a bad guy and she hurt the good guy, so it's cool", it's legitimately a big deal that has consequences and makes your side look bad, because to everyone else it looks like she was executed for just...yelling. HW in general was really good about that sort of thing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

She actually lived.

But yeah, that was an ugly scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The difference between FFXIV's storytelling and WoW's is night and day, like haha holy poo poo FFXIV on its worst day is maybe close to WoW on its best day. Even ARR's storyline is stronger than WoW's has been since Vanilla.