Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Detective Cockmics is a better title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Detective Cockmics is a better title.

Teenage Fansub is against diversity in cocks and comics. Sad!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I feel like starting a new thread because of the new books starting up anyhow, as much as I enjoy how dated this OP is.
Was gonna wait for whatever happened at the end of Doomsday Clock, but Heroes In Crisis, Morrison GL, Black Label, Zoom and Ink books, new Vertigo, blah blah, is enough.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 26, 2018

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Teenage Fansub posted:

I feel like starting a new thread because of the new books starting up anyhow, as much as I enjoy how dated this OP is.

More proof he is against cocks in comics.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
We have spoilers for the second death in Heroes in Crisis

Wally West

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

X-O posted:

Teenage Fansub is against diversity in cocks and comics. Sad!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Onmi posted:

Wally West

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaIJKM0sjdo

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Onmi posted:

Wally West

I just looked at the list of dead heroes spoilers and good job DC killing at least 2 good underused characters and 2 misused characters.

Lmao what a clusterfuck.

I bet the killer is Booster or he fixes it some how if Wally is back for suicide squad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think this thread should stick through the poo poo show that is Heroes in Crisis. Make the new one fresh after that is a memory.

Don't want to start a new thread on a sour note.

Because fuuuuuuuuuuck that spoiler.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
meh I give that spoiler 95% odds of being a fakeout

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Onmi posted:

Wally West

rip two tone shoes

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Barry Convex posted:

meh I give that spoiler 95% odds of being a fakeout

Judge for yourself

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Onmi posted:

Judge for yourself

:allears:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That second page is so bad.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

the bendis is spreading

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Considering Wally is already confirmed to be in Suicide Squad, doesn't that just imply most of this shits gonna be undone?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ImpAtom posted:

Considering Wally is already confirmed to be in Suicide Squad, doesn't that just imply most of this shits gonna be undone?

Who cares at this point? Wally has been written so lovely at this point what's the point of doing something that stupid with him? Just go ahead and let him die I guess. I've moved onto the acceptance stage in a matter of minutes after reflecting on how terrible he's been since the beginning of Rebirth.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He's had some good moments.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Thank goodness the comic's mere hours away rather than a Rebirth Special or Batman #50 situation of fearing black bars for weeks.

I dunno about waiting for HIC to be over before starting a new DC thread. That's nine months away now. Maybe the series'll need it's own dedicated discussion topic.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 26, 2018

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DC is loving terrible

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
More HIC spoilers

https://imgur.com/T10mwk7

What the gently caress DC :cripes:

And one of Doomsday Clock for good measure

https://imgur.com/XXe9knV

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Doomsday Clock is on track to supplant Darkseid war as my go to joke for dumb crossover that overstayed its welcome.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

OKay HiC 1 is out and here's the rundown

Booster and Harley are fighting each other while the Trinity confirm everyone's dead
At the end, Booster and Harley accuse each other of having murdered everyone else
both claims to have seen the other do it and ran

Here's my guess for the event by the way.

The Killer is Wally, because he didn't get an interview page, neither Harley or Booster could kill a Flash, and he's already pegged to be in suicide squad.

Of course, this is based off fact and reason, ergo it'll be wrong so they can Identity Crisis our asses again.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 26, 2018

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean okay there may be a ton of real bad comics coming out today, but can I just say that I've been overall super pleased with how Orlando's short tenure on Wonder Woman has gone. It's sometimes been a little...clunky...getting to this point, but the ending of this storyline has contained some of my favorite moments between Diana and Artemis. I daresay it may even be superior to a lot of their pre-Flashpoint relationship.

Also Justice League Dark is still super cool

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Where's this Suicide Squad stuff coming from? Guess I missed it.

edit: I really liked Justice League Odyssey.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 26, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Odyssey's first issue is out. And...

What the actual gently caress?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Onmi posted:

Odyssey's first issue is out. And...

What the actual gently caress?

Is this directed at what it just inserted into Jack Kirby New Gods lore right at the end? That made me smile. If people are mad at Cyborg becoming a founding member of the Justice League, that was nothing.
The planets released from Braniac’s planet pray to Old Gods (as in the precursors to the New Gods) which we see as ancient representations of Starfire, Cyborg and Azrael.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Sep 26, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Is this directed at what it just inserted into Jack Kirby New Gods lore right at the end? That made me smile. If people are mad at Cyborg becoming a founding member of the Justice League, that was nothing.

Oh it wasn't a BAD "What the gently caress" it was a "I am intrigued to see where this goes"

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Onmi posted:

Wally West

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Heroes in Crisis #1 was extremely bad. I think King's writing works very well for some things, and this isn't one of them.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
It sure looked like Blue Jay is dead as hell too. Look again at the close-up page with the birds.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It sure looked like Blue Jay is dead as hell too. Look again at the close-up page with the birds.

Yeah they were killed too.

As a reminder to everyone, You do not have to buy the book. You can just ignore it.

Edit: Can't wait until issue 2 when we see a morgue full of tens of heroes laid out and we can confirm more deaths.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 26, 2018

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The whole premise of a sanctuary for superheroes suffering from mental health issues being the site of a murder mystery with "A HERO WILL DIE" advertising seemed possibly tacky and exploitative to me, but I was willing to give it a shot because I like King. His take on traumatised superheroes has in the past been pretty good! But this gory charnelhouse with Harley singing edgy nursery rhymes and talking about how broken she is while she stabs Booster is straight garbage. King is not good at writing either of these characters. His take on Harley is especially juvenile.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

More HIC spoilers

https://imgur.com/T10mwk7

What the gently caress DC :cripes:

Superhero in bright costume looking solemnly at disturbingly realistic scene of crime, thats the DC I know all right.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

What's really missing on the cover is a big "In This Issue A Multiple Titans Die!"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

A reminder that the original Identity Crisis was designed to make comics miserable.
https://twitter.com/StuffValWrites/status/1005496323905413121

quote:

This book was originally conceived at a DC Comics editor's retreat, as part of an overall "push" to make the publisher more dark & edgy as to compete with Marvel Comics. VP Dan DiDio specifically said at the retreat that his goal was to take the "smile" out of comics. So Identity Crisis was supposed to be a "statement" on DC's new direction. And part of that new direction would be more "adult" themes, such as rape and greater violence. Identity Crisis writer Brad Meltzer got some criticism over the rape scene in the book, and its level of violence overall. But to be fair to him he was *specifically asked* by editorial to put that in. He didn't come to us with those ideas.

Was there an awkward salaciousness in-house about these themes in Identity Crisis? Absolutely. I've told the story before of the associate editor running in the office with, in his words, "the rape pages." Sue Dibny was chosen as both the rape and murder victim because she was "pure" and the girl-next-door. Also, Elongated Man was considered "corny" & so having his wife Sue be the victim "darkened" him a bit. I think darker themes, including sex crimes, can be tackled well in comic book form, as long as you have a mature foundation to "anchor" it. The DC Comics editorial offices at that time was *not* that place. Because of that aspect, it was a creepy book for me to work on.

What made Marvel more successful than DC before Identity Crisis was the quality of their comics—*not* darkness and edginess alone. Identity Crisis was not allowed to be an organic creative project, but rather something that was *deeply* editorially driven. On the other hand: because the movies were still being influenced by the current direction of the comics, Identity Crisis & the "darker DC" *did* open the door for stuff like the Christopher Nolan Batman saga. But Nolan himself was a mature foundation to create a darker Dark Knight. In contrast, I think Identity Crisis helped goose the id of an already troubled editorial department. It was the last book I helped edit for DC, and I don't keep any copies of it in my house.

REMEMBER THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T FORGET THESE STORIES

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also, for God's sake, someone with a doctorate in psychology wouldn't quote Freud as if it was this great big momentous thing. Like, have you read Freud? He's frequently ridiculous and almost entirely irrelevant to any modern psychoanalytic theory or treatment strategy. Quoting him doesn't read as a smart reference to Harley's academic credentials, it makes her look like a poser who doesn't know her own doctoral field.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's like the hack writer standby equivalent of villains quoting ominous Bible verses to show that they're nuanced and deep. Psychologists written hackily quote Freud exclusively, and very occasionally Jung.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Oh thanks for killing Commander Steel too, DC you heartless assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

pubic works project posted:

Oh thanks for killing Commander Steel too, DC you heartless assholes.

citizen steel :flashfact: