Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Blackhawk posted:

Loving all of these, film?

Nah, digital. Thanks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Premier RV Resort by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Newport Municipal Airport by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Luigi's by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Neotsu by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Reedsport by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Hot drat

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

:five:

poo poo like this is why I signed up for a mountaineering seminar next year.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those clouds are very nice to have cooperated like that.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

xzzy posted:

Those clouds are very nice to have cooperated like that.

No kidding, this is what it looked like 15 minutes before and after the shots:

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Terrifying Effigies posted:

No kidding, this is what it looked like 15 minutes before and after the shots:

f/8 and be an airbender

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Does this come off as a photo that I was setting up waiting for a subject? I was on a long break from teaching and found this spot - I was hanging out for about a half and hour seeing how the light changed from sunset to dark. At one point someone popped out of the door and I got a shot with them in the photo. I liked it despite not being the ideal light I wanted but it made me think that I was falling back to waiting for a person to make a moment instead of trying to make a scene stand on its own. I know I’ve got a lot to learn so far as this kind of photography goes. Did anyone else here have a similar issue where you had a good amount of experience shooting people pictures or photos where you were using the background to frame a subject and have difficulty transitioning to taking pictures of scenes like you all are posting?

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I’m dumb and not good at photography.

I like people in landscape shots. They provide scale. They can provide a sense of awe to a scene that you might not get otherwise. They can do something interesting that adds to the scene.

They don’t have to be the focus of the shot. The Hudson River School dudes painted gorgeous landscapes and then some of them would throw a person in there.

When all is said and done, always be shooting. If someone does something cool, awesome. If the scene looks better without them, all the better. Take both shots and decide later. Gigabytes be damned.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Vinestalk posted:

I’m dumb and not good at photography.

I like people in landscape shots. They provide scale. They can provide a sense of awe to a scene that you might not get otherwise. They can do something interesting that adds to the scene.

They don’t have to be the focus of the shot. The Hudson River School dudes painted gorgeous landscapes and then some of them would throw a person in there.

When all is said and done, always be shooting. If someone does something cool, awesome. If the scene looks better without them, all the better. Take both shots and decide later. Gigabytes be damned.

This was the one with the person (below). It has some technical issues but I like it - I just feel like everything is serving the person, if that makes sense. Like I was scoping out the building for a good while at that point, trying to get my angles and seeing how the light changed and then he popped out. After that I doubted the integrity of the picture without the person, like I was just doing what I kind of know how to do and making a background for a person without intending to.

I definitely get what you’re saying, and I like that kind of photography a lot. I would like to be able to learn how to make a scene work on its own without a person or some other subject. I’m not getting frustrated with myself because I know that the amount of practice I get is proportionate to how pleased I will be with it and I have had a lot more time with people than with landscapes, buildings and so on. I shouldn’t seem to be like this but I almost think that for me it feels like an entirely different skill set that I don’t have developed very much.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

raw0001.jpg
by Brian Kennedy, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

No, he doesn't.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
okay but the sign says so, so.....

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

New Braunfels by S M, on Flickr

San Antonio by S M, on Flickr

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
attn: rio, your old lenses are putting in some work for me

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Atlatl posted:

attn: rio, your old lenses are putting in some work for me

Hell yeah. That makes me happy :)

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Fwiw, I like the version with the person better as well.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I know that sunsets are the cheap junk food of landscape photography but I liked this.

The sun taking a last look over the trees. by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Hell yeah

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
That’s my jam right there. Good poo poo, Yeast.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

_DSC3756 by Maciej, on Flickr

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003