Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

OldAlias posted:

lol. nope, nothing at all to do with selling machines that wouldn’t run the OS properly

At the end of 2008 I once told an obvious secret shopper to please not let his daughter buy a particular laptop, because it was an ugly, grey, Celeron "powered", 1Gb RAM having absolute hunk of poo poo with a dead battery that somebody had gotten Vista to install on. It had been very generously discounted from 300 to 299.95 and had been sitting on the shelf since new.

The next week the store manager called us all in early and made us stand for 10 minutes while he berated all of us about some secret shopper results he'd received and about how if we didn't believe in the products we were selling we could "get out." He ended by threatening that if he ever found out who the staff member was he'd fire them on the spot. I'd handed my notice in the day before the shopper came in so all that happened was I felt bad everyone else had been dragged in by this rear end in a top hat on my behalf.

Anyway gently caress retail, death to capitalism etc. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

jammyozzy posted:

At the end of 2008 I once told an obvious secret shopper to please not let his daughter buy a particular laptop, because it was an ugly, grey, Celeron "powered", 1Gb RAM having absolute hunk of poo poo with a dead battery that somebody had gotten Vista to install on. It had been very generously discounted from 300 to 299.95 and had been sitting on the shelf since new.

The next week the store manager called us all in early and made us stand for 10 minutes while he berated all of us about some secret shopper results he'd received and about how if we didn't believe in the products we were selling we could "get out." He ended by threatening that if he ever found out who the staff member was he'd fire them on the spot. I'd handed my notice in the day before the shopper came in so all that happened was I felt bad everyone else had been dragged in by this rear end in a top hat on my behalf.

Anyway gently caress retail, death to capitalism etc. :toot:

i'm curious what made him obvious? did he talk entirely in corporate slogans?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

carry on then posted:

Probably the fact the shopper kept asking if they could please speak a little louder and directly into their chest.

Boiled Water posted:

what happened to "get an older thinkpad and stuff an ssd in it"?

Try to convince your non technical SO or mom that the used, scuffed, mushey keyed, boxy, black laptop is a more thoughtful gift than an in-box $200 streambook for travel.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Generic Monk posted:

e2: what are the odds you’re still going to be able to buy a new laptop with a 1366x768 screen in 10 years

Suprisingly good since most people can't tell much of a difference, and there are probably entire product lines out there that use recycled LCD panels from e-waste and refurbs.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

carry on then posted:

He was having to stop and think before each question, and then each question was really awkward and specific. The biggest tell was that the second thing he asked was about an extended warranty which :wtf: no real person is gonna ask about that.

I can only assume it was his first day or something because he was really bad at it.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Suprisingly good since most people can't tell much of a difference, and there are probably entire product lines out there that use recycled LCD panels from e-waste and refurbs.

yeah not wrong. I hope they move down the line at least; it's pretty outrageous that you can still buy a £500 laptop with one of those screens and a 5400rpm spinning disk. like if you're the kind of person who just needs a reasonably priced computer and don't want to think about it too much, or even if you're the kind of person who does a cursory glance at the specs they print on the box in pc world, you've likely been buying laptops that have been functionally identical for like 5+ years. at this point the £150 acer and the £500 acer come across as identical except for ram and disk space, and oftentimes the £150 one is actually nicer to use

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Probably the fact the shopper kept asking if they could please speak a little louder and directly into their chest.

Try to convince your non technical SO or mom that the used, scuffed, mushey keyed, boxy, black laptop is a more thoughtful gift than an in-box $200 streambook for travel.

they’re regularly off lease or whatever on Newegg. I got one and it looks very minorly used. 4 years and going strong with a fresh battery- already had a SSD.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
had a look at task manager for no real reason and all our office poo poo is 32bit lmao. fuckers can't even get that right. hopefully I'll get my goddamn lenovo with ssd in the next couple of months

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
eh what?

office is 32bit by default for compatibility with plugins, etc.

64bit is a an option, but not common unless you specifically need it.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Yeah, companies run all kinds of hosed up old macros and ridiculous plugins from 1995, that's why Office defaults to 32 bit.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
the only real use case for 64-bit office is if you need an excel spreadsheet with a billion rows and columns

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

anthonypants posted:

the only real use case for 64-bit office is if you need an excel spreadsheet with a billion rows and columns

Pretty easy to run into this one if you're doing scientific research.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
at which point you should probably not be using excel for your database

it's amazing how frequently i have this conversation, usually when they're starting to look at xeons with 64gb of ram to run a spreadsheet

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

infernal machines posted:

it's amazing how frequently i have this conversation, usually when they're starting to look at xeons with 64gb of ram to run a spreadsheet

seriously

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

1. learn about database
2. talk to computer toucher
3. spend grant money

ofc number 3 looks like the best option

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
excel should max out at 100 columns and 1000 rows

if you need more you need something that isn’t excel

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

what do you have in mind that is as easy to use as an excel spreadsheet

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
all I know is wandows 10 makes all my usual excel work run like poo poo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

sql server

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

and what do you need to do to say create a pivot table in sql server?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hire some dipshit who knows sql syntax or google it yourself

excel can use sql as a data source

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

hire some dipshit who knows sql syntax or google it yourself

excel can use sql as a data source

Ah yes, instead of using this tool that works and does what I need, let's hire someone else that doesn't know anything abut the project with money we don't have.

Computer touchers thinking they know best how to do everyone's job is always lolworthy.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

39 years since visicalc and somehow nerds have still not realized why the usability it provided was a game-changer (which as a result also marks 39 years of "gah you shouldn't be using <the usable tool> for <task that speaker has no clue about>")

e:f;b left the tab open too long before responding, didn't realize this response had already been made

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Sep 26, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

e:f;b left the tab open too long before responding, didn't realize this response had already been made

Wish u would leave all the tabs with your responses open too long but instead of posting would check and realize your “point” had already been made and, as a result, not post.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

hobbesmaster posted:

msaccess :unsmigghh:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

hobbesmaster posted:

put your salary payment schedule and whatever in a version of filemaker from last decade imo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lambert posted:

Ah yes, instead of using this tool that works and does what I need, let's hire someone else that doesn't know anything abut the project with money we don't have.

Computer touchers thinking they know best how to do everyone's job is always lolworthy.

computer touchers telling you not to use the wrong tool for the job is hilarious, because you'll do it anyway and spend at least twice as much on fighting with it afterwards.

you want to use a hammer to put in screws because you don't know how to use a screwdriver, that's your business.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

and what do you need to do to say create a pivot table in sql server?

the gently caress is a pivot table?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

graph posted:

put your salary payment schedule and whatever in a version of filemaker from last decade imo

we had a manufacturing client looking at using filemaker for their production process system. we told them outright, don't do that. it will not scale.

they did it anyway and have been buying ever larger and faster servers to try and scale out something that sees diminishing returns on every upgrade

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

we had a manufacturing client looking at using filemaker for their production process system. we told them outright, don't do that. it will not scale.

they did it anyway and have been buying ever larger and faster servers to try and scale out something that sees diminishing returns on every upgrade

so, so glad i'm not in IT anymore

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

a miserable pile of hidden cells

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

akadajet posted:

spreadsheet talk for aggregation, so e.g. select a, count(*), avg(b), min(c) from t group by a

so obviously standard functionality in sql, but as expected excel has a lot more tooling and a broader selection of aggregate functions than you get out of the box with standard sql

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's definitely waaaay easier to get started directly in excel, the problem is when you have huge datasets, excel starts to choke

you can still use excel as a front end and pull your data from a sql server, but it takes some setup and planning, and it can be a bit rough if you're trying to retrofit it in, rather than having it setup from the get go.

naturally this means everyone just tries to jam gigabytes of data into a spreadsheet and get frustrated when it takes several minutes to even open.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

we had a manufacturing client looking at using filemaker for their production process system

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
excel is the most powerful piece of software on everyones computer.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it's definitely waaaay easier to get started directly in excel, the problem is when you have huge datasets, excel starts to choke

you can still use excel as a front end and pull your data from a sql server, but it takes some setup and planning, and it can be a bit rough if you're trying to retrofit it in, rather than having it setup from the get go.

naturally this means everyone just tries to jam gigabytes of data into a spreadsheet and get frustrated when it takes several minutes to even open.

there are of course cases where excel is indeed the wrong tool, but it is also way too common for nerds to go on about how it is the wrong tool when it is in fact entirely appropriate, often specifically overlooking (or rather, immediately disrespecting and dismissing) that the users have applicable skills that they do not

i think it is a facet of a kind of ego that a lot of programmers have, where every program they would themselves build in their imagination would necessarily be more correct and flexible than anythingt hey have not taken the time to themselves understand. the flexibility of the tool in the hands of a competent user (e.g. administrative personel) seems to them (well, us) an invitation for chaos

also, the workflows that outgrow excel will often tend to be stuff that evolves over time, and it is fooling oneself imagining that they could have been designed day 1 into an sql database and code could have been written to perform all the necessary tasks right then (plus of course the code would have taken forever to write and would have been poo poo forever, so you'd need a solution on the side anyway if this is something needed for day-to-day operating)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes. that was our initial reaction too.

e: they're not even particularly limited by the db performance either. like, that would be an issue, but their biggest problem is whatever brain genius they hired to design the system built it with filemaker's web forms rather than a custom client, so the entire thing is hamstrung by their lovely-rear end single threaded java implementation instead.

it's difficult to describe how poorly considered the entire thing is, and just how much money they've been throwing at hardware to make it even remotely usable

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 26, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

there are of course cases where excel is indeed the wrong tool, but it is also way too common for nerds to go on about how it is the wrong tool when it is in fact entirely appropriate, often specifically overlooking (or rather, immediately disrespecting and dismissing) that the users have applicable skills that they do not

i think it is a facet of a kind of ego that a lot of programmers have, where every program they would themselves build in their imagination would necessarily be more correct and flexible than anythingt hey have not taken the time to themselves understand. the flexibility of the tool in the hands of a competent user (e.g. administrative personel) seems to them (well, us) an invitation for chaos

also, the workflows that outgrow excel will often tend to be stuff that evolves over time, and it is fooling oneself imagining that they could have been designed day 1 into an sql database and code could have been written to perform all the necessary tasks right then (plus of course the code would have taken forever to write and would have been poo poo forever, so you'd need a solution on the side anyway if this is something needed for day-to-day operating)

otoh, if you routinely work with large datasets and you know with some certainty that <project> will involve a large amount of data, you can decide to spend some time/money on implementing a new workflow that will not be bogged down to poo poo by the time you're done.

it's possible to do, it's just more work upfront than grabbing your usual templates and dumping poo poo into them.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
custom raspberry pi excel cluster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

custom raspberry pi excel cluster

an excel server farm would be extremely 2018 microsoft, i'll admit