Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yep, that toggle should be in the watch app’s settings under “code”. Failing that, try a re-pair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

xzzy posted:

Is there a toggle somewhere for unlocking the watch when my phone unlocks? Or does the new watchOS remove that featre? It worked awesome on my 6S but I switched to an XS on Friday and did the OS upgrade and now I need to enter the PIN no matter what.

Under “Passcode” in Watch.app on the phone is where this toggle lives.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, found it. I was only looking under General settings. :downs:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

Is there a toggle somewhere for unlocking the watch when my phone unlocks? Or does the new watchOS remove that featre? It worked awesome on my 6S but I switched to an XS on Friday and did the OS upgrade and now I need to enter the PIN no matter what.

It's under the Passcode options in the Watch App and in the Settings app on the Watch

Edit: new page whoops

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I've seen screenshots online from the Series 4 where people have a contact's photo as one of the circular complications on the new faces. I can't for the life of me figure out how to set this up. What am I missing?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

Diabolik900 posted:

I've seen screenshots online from the Series 4 where people have a contact's photo as one of the circular complications on the new faces. I can't for the life of me figure out how to set this up. What am I missing?

Has to be someone from your favorites

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Has to be someone from your favorites

Ok, I'd assumed that, and added favorites because I didn't have any before. Still didn't see the option, but it must have just been a syncing delay because they're there now. Thanks!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Infographic Modular does not have the now playing complication at all right? I’m not missing something here?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Skeezy posted:

Infographic Modular does not have the now playing complication at all right? I’m not missing something here?

Legacy complications aren’t good enough for HD WATCH FACES
Also there’s the dot that is at the top of the watch face when something is playing. It’s like a free complication

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m starting to think the 44mm Watch may be a bit too big for me but the 40mm also seems too small.:bang:

Has anyone gone from a pre-S4 42 down to 40? If so, satisfied? Wondering if I should maybe do an exchange.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 25, 2018

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

A few years ago, I used a site to track which stores had iPhone in stock. Does something similar exist for Apple Watch, but only if it’s available at an AT&T store or Best Buy?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

A few years ago, I used a site to track which stores had iPhone in stock. Does something similar exist for Apple Watch, but only if it’s available at an AT&T store or Best Buy?

I don’t think the watch is too hard to find though??

Try brickseek or instocknow.net

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I don’t think the watch is too hard to find though??

Try brickseek or instocknow.net

The watch is easy to get at an Apple Store in various different styles, probably. The SBSS GPS + cellular that I can buy with an installment plan through AT&T however...

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there seriously no way to not sync photos to my watch. What the gently caress.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there seriously no way to not sync photos to my watch. What the gently caress.

The only photos that sync to my AW are ones that I favorite in the Photos app on my phone.

Watch.app --> Photos--> Photo Syncing. Change the synced album to favorites or whatever album you want. You can also limit the number of photos synced.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I don’t want to sync any photos to my watch. There’s no option for “maximum 0” or “no album” or “disable.”

e: vvv I just made an empty album so that photos don’t get synced. This is dumb. Vvv

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 25, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have (almost) zero photos on my watch and my settings (in the phone watch app) are 'Custom', 'Notifications Off' and have a 'Synced Album' with two pictures in it I used for a watch face.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don’t want to sync any photos to my watch. There’s no option for “maximum 0” or “no album” or “disable.”

You could make an album that has no photos and then choose that as the album to sync to your watch.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Boris Galerkin posted:

If you don’t want people to accidentally see your naughty pics on your watch maybe don’t open the photos app on it?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

This is a weird edge thing, and I dunno if it's new to WatchOS5, but just a heads-up: if you got airpods directly connected to the watch and take the pods out and put them in case mid-song, you'll have the Now Playing dot on your watch face until you pull the pods back out, put them on, and stop the song normally.

Like I said, a REALLY edge case sort of deal, but it was driving me nuts til I figured it out.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

For people who have non lte models, and always have their iphone on them, isnt even worth messing with music streaming?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

For people who have non lte models, and always have their iphone on them, isnt even worth messing with music streaming?

I don’t even bother.

I guess if you want to run without your phone you might but I always have mine so :shrug:

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

Am I correct in assuming that Siri won’t work on an S3 LTE unless it’s close to its iPhone, and the phone has a WiFi or cellular connection? I’ll often be in my basement where I get little to no cell reception, and I’ll try to use Siri on my watch to set a timer. It almost always either takes forever or just hangs until I push the crown button to return to the app cloud.

In general, Siri tends to be a little unreliable on my watch. I’d say about 10% of the time when I use Siri on my watch to get directions, it’ll just not respond at all, or it’ll hang for like 60 seconds and then say, “Go ahead, I’m listening. :downs:

RoboCop 3 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 25, 2018

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If you don’t want people to accidentally see your naughty pics on your watch maybe don’t open the photos app on it?

The siri watchface now just shows random albums in a little field on your watch, but, also, you can turn it off in the watchface settings.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Pants Donkey posted:

This is a weird edge thing, and I dunno if it's new to WatchOS5, but just a heads-up: if you got airpods directly connected to the watch and take the pods out and put them in case mid-song, you'll have the Now Playing dot on your watch face until you pull the pods back out, put them on, and stop the song normally.

Like I said, a REALLY edge case sort of deal, but it was driving me nuts til I figured it out.

Nah, it seems to be any Bluetooth headphones (and maybe speakers as well?). I ran this morning and turned off my Bluetooth headphones afterwards like I always do and the now playing dot has been there all day. Was wondering wtf. Good to see it’s not just me.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Pants Donkey posted:

You could probably exit Now Playing using the side button/swipe left

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

I don’t even bother.

I guess if you want to run without your phone you might but I always have mine so :shrug:

This is my only use case for it. Works fairly well and when it doesn't it's probably because of my ancient junk bluetooth earbuds.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Got my S4. Definitely big jump - everything loads so fast now.

Also digging the flatter and larger screen.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Dick Nipples posted:

Got my S4. Definitely big jump - everything loads so fast now.

Also digging the flatter and larger screen.

What’d you have before? Can’t remember if you mentioned it.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

bort posted:

You could probably exit Now Playing using the side button/swipe left

That didn’t work :/

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Violator posted:

What’d you have before? Can’t remember if you mentioned it.

S2. I never had any real complaints about it. In fact it was snappier after watchOS 5. I didn’t realize how much faster the S4 would be.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
I want this face to look like this - single color complications.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rick posted:

The siri watchface now just shows random albums in a little field on your watch, but, also, you can turn it off in the watchface settings.

Oh boy

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

This might be hard for you to understand, but different people want … different things. For something touted as the "most personal device" ever it seems really dumb that there's no way to personalize whether or not pictures get synced to my watch. It's not the not wanting people seeing my naughty pictures or whatever, it's that it's really dumb to not let me have this choice.

Anyway, upgrading from a S0 to a S4 is freaking huge. The watch is actually responsive and using it doesn't make me wish I never bought the thing. Turning the crown when a song is playing to change the volume happens like instantly vs. a very noticeable delay with my S0. Launching apps is smooth and fast so I actually want to use them now. The only "problem" is I have no idea what watchOS apps are available/good because I've avoided them this entire time. The haptic feedback from turning the knob is great and something I never knew was missing but now I couldn't go without it anymore.

I'm using the Infographic Modular watch face cause the regular Modular one is the one I liked the most before. I'm not 100% sure I like it on the 44 mm watch cause it kinda looks like there's too much screen space being wasted. The preview picture looks much tighter/compact than what it actually looks like on the watch.

I'm using the Siri watch face for the first time now that it's actually usable and it's pretty neat. Is there a way to order/prioritize which apps are more important? There's just the option to let me choose what data sources are available but it doesn't let me order them. Also, where do I go to turn off the "upcoming basketball games" thing? It's telling me there's a Trail Blazers vs Raptors game coming up on the 30th! That would be great if 1) I watched basketball and 2) if I lived in the US because it's telling me the game is at 1am so thanks? I have zero basketball apps and I've probably never asked Siri about basketball ever.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

This might be hard for you to understand, but different people want … different things.

:allears:

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm using the Infographic Modular watch face cause the regular Modular one is the one I liked the most before. I'm not 100% sure I like it on the 44 mm watch cause it kinda looks like there's too much screen space being wasted. The preview picture looks much tighter/compact than what it actually looks like on the watch.

Agreed - I can't decide if I like the modular. I ended up with the analog-style Infograph but that one almost has too much going on.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm using the Siri watch face for the first time now that it's actually usable and it's pretty neat. Is there a way to order/prioritize which apps are more important? There's just the option to let me choose what data sources are available but it doesn't let me order them. Also, where do I go to turn off the "upcoming basketball games" thing? It's telling me there's a Trail Blazers vs Raptors game coming up on the 30th! That would be great if 1) I watched basketball and 2) if I lived in the US because it's telling me the game is at 1am so thanks? I have zero basketball apps and I've probably never asked Siri about basketball ever.

There's a way you can tell it to not tell you about sports games in the settings for Siri face. You can't order or prioritize them - I believe apps report temporal metadata to the face and that helps it sort them out. Things like weather show up at beginning and end of day, breathe is sorta mixed in throughout the day, and then things like Activity show up more in the afternoon if you haven't moved as much as it wants.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I think in the TV app on iPhone there’s a sports section where you can define your teams, if you’ve never done that maybe it just auto populates based on location or something? Maybe go in there and manually select...nothing I guess.

Anyway I ordered a 44mm Nike one with black sport loop last night (:toot: B&H no tax), anyone happen to be getting a white Nike sport loop one and want to swap bands?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The only thing I need right now is for App devs to update their stuff. I need those fancy complications :argh:

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Oh. Also sport loop master race. Finally got one with my S4. Holy balls it’s comfy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Dick Nipples posted:

Oh. Also sport loop master race. Finally got one with my S4. Holy balls it’s comfy.

The only thing annoying about it coming from the sport band is that it's one piece. I'm not used to having to slip my hands through the loop but yeah it is really comfortable. For people with sport loops for years now how does it hold up to washing/smell?

Also what's the best sleep tracker? I've tried a few of them over this week, namely Sleep++, Sleep Cycle, and Autosleep. Autosleep gets it wrong with the automatic sleep tracking, and trying to edit it was so frustrating that I just deleted the drat app, because none of it makes sense. Sleep Cycle is an alarm and I'm not looking for one cause I just wake up at the same time every day anyway. Sleep++ is no frills but it injects complete nonsense into my Health data. I could turn that off, but I want the Health data.

Health.app seems to distinguish between being "in bed" and being "asleep." All of the apps above gets this wrong because they list my "in bed" period the same as my "asleep" period. Autosleep kinda has it right in the sense that my "asleep" period is a subset of "in bed", but if I go edit a night then it fucks everything up, and from my experience it's been wrong about when it thinks I'm sleeping so I need to edit the data.

I just want an app that let's me manually record when I was in bed because the automatic detection doesn't work right in the apps I tried, and then use the sensors to determine when I'm actually asleep.

e: Okay so the Siri watchface has just showed me a photo album of a trip I made with an ex-girlfriend. This photo album isn't synced to the watch. Why does it do this?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Sep 27, 2018