Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
drat I would report the hell out of that brightwing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
It takes talent not to heal as BW, nice work

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Malthael is always good because you can take on a pale horse and splitpush lanes faster than anyone. Even if your teamfight is weak into a squishy comp, you can end up with a huge level lead from soak alone and primarily rely on just finishing people with last rites.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Bought Maiev, on a whim.

Do not even get her.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Shockeh posted:

Bought Maiev, on a whim.

Do not even get her.

She's probably one of the most difficult characters to play in hots.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Sure; I mean, that was a very flippant post. Having played most of the cast at one time or another, I just don't see what she's even meant to do theoretically.

If you use E to go in, you're an incredibly squishy Assassin in melee range, and D is not going to keep you alive very long OR has a low enough cooldown to be reusable. Are you supposed to try to make W break, or use it as a way to force them to stay close so you can melee? Fan of Knives has a tiny range (and a weird arc) too.

It just all seems very... janky. Like, I don't understand right now what she's for.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Shockeh posted:

Sure; I mean, that was a very flippant post. Having played most of the cast at one time or another, I just don't see what she's even meant to do theoretically.

If you use E to go in, you're an incredibly squishy Assassin in melee range, and D is not going to keep you alive very long OR has a low enough cooldown to be reusable. Are you supposed to try to make W break, or use it as a way to force them to stay close so you can melee? Fan of Knives has a tiny range (and a weird arc) too.

It just all seems very... janky. Like, I don't understand right now what she's for.

Watch some of the games in hgc with Fan playing her. You try to land a pull onto a group and drag them back into a warden cage. Your fan of knives does a ton over the fight.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

Do you have to play the hero to advance the quest? Like the healing quest, does it have to be done on Whitemane or will any healer do? And can you farm it in AI?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Just start with taking fan of knives talents and trying to do as many chain Qs in teamfights as you can and only going in for a kill after the enemy is worn down. Don't even worry about melee or the pull unless you're going for a gank.
Like 75% of her effectiveness is throwing out those Qs. Then you can work on mastering blink+pull once you have that down.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Erdricks posted:

Do you have to play the hero to advance the quest? Like the healing quest, does it have to be done on Whitemane or will any healer do? And can you farm it in AI?

healing quest is broken atm

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I take it that when the game says the reward for the quest is Cursed Hollow Whitemane, it's just a deceptively named spray, right?

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

SirSamVimes posted:

I take it that when the game says the reward for the quest is Cursed Hollow Whitemane, it's just a deceptively named spray, right?

Yeah I took the Alex quest and I assumed it was a skin but it wasn't. Maybe I missed reading something.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

ok so:

1.) terrible quests that encourage you to play bad
2.) having a watch tower quest when according to the blizz patch notes there are zero watch towers in the QM/AI rotation (hanamura merc point doesnt count)
3.) healing quest doesnt work at all and stays at 0 permanently
4.) misleadingly named sprays that look like bad pngs of the skins

jfc a new low imo.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Oh these aren't skins? What the gently caress blizzard.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Full disclosure though I'm enjoying the hell out of doing these quests in AI. The games where I go for MVP get tense.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
They've quietly added Cursed Hollow to the unranked map rotation, so you can complete the observation towers quest without HL/TL now. No word on fixing the healing counter for that quest beyond Blizz saying they are aware.

The event skins are available to buy with Doritos, but there are no skin quest rewards. And you can do all four quests - the only binary choice is which tombstone mount you take at the end.

The event skins thing is horribly worded in everything official that I've seen.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

lucifirius posted:

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

No Wave posted:

3.) healing quest doesnt work at all and stays at 0 permanently
4.) misleadingly named sprays that look like bad pngs of the skins

Found this out annoyingly while playing. How'd they gently caress up #3.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

They've quietly added Cursed Hollow to the unranked map rotation, so you can complete the observation towers quest without HL/TL now. No word on fixing the healing counter for that quest beyond Blizz saying they are aware.

The event skins are available to buy with Doritos, but there are no skin quest rewards. And you can do all four quests - the only binary choice is which tombstone mount you take at the end.

The event skins thing is horribly worded in everything official that I've seen.

Is the tombstone mount choice for completing one set of four? Or do we "have" to do all 16 for it?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I already said it in the bitching thread earlier but after playing a while longer and seeing it a couple more times, might as well say it here too, new Garden of Terror is complete poo poo and I'd like them to remove it again. It's yet another map where losing the first objective is all but assuredly leading into a drawn out loss, it's another "lol all 3 lanes are getting pushed by super units, do you try and stop all 3 somewhat and let the other team completely steamroll one lane or go and stop the deathball and let the two other lanes get hammered on in the meantime" map, which just means losing the first objective often puts you on the back foot so hard that you're even less likely to take the next objective, except even worse than Alterac because it spawns in three terrors who do exactly what the player terror would do to structures.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 26, 2018

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
new brightwing is a lot of fun

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

lucifirius posted:

It is indeed terribly worded and they screwed up, but if you really thought you would get multiple hero skins for free you were a bit delusional. I mean, this is a company that "listened to user feedback" and added gem-only skins.

I look forward to Reddit complaining for two weeks how they clearly deserve free stuff for this affront. And making comparisons to the Cybersteed situation, because that was like totally the exact same mistake.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

I already said it in the bitching thread earlier but after playing a while longer and seeing it a couple more times, might as well say it here too, new Garden of Terror is complete poo poo and I'd like them to remove it again. It's yet another map where losing the first objective is all but assuredly leading into a drawn out loss, it's another "lol all 3 lanes are getting pushed by super units, do you try and stop all 3 somewhat and let the other team completely steamroll one lane or go and stop the deathball and let the two other lanes get hammered on in the meantime" map, which just means losing the first objective often puts you on the back foot so hard that you're even less likely to take the next objective, except even worse than Alterac because it spawns in three terrors who do exactly what the player terror would do to structures.

QFT. I played one game of hots, got the garden rework, and was so tilted afterwards that I couldn't play anymore. I know everyone in every moba complains about the devs not knowing how to play the game, but this is really bad.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Mind over Matter posted:

Is the tombstone mount choice for completing one set of four? Or do we "have" to do all 16 for it?

I'm pretty sure you have to complete all four but I'm not 100%

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah new Garden objective is overtuned. I still prefer it to old garden cause at least it can end without a full team wipe, but it Def has the release altarac problem where the objective starts way too powerful.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
What is the general consensus on the best map?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Infernal shrines, though I personally like ToD.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

I'm pretty sure you have to complete all four but I'm not 100%

Yeah, looks that way from the official page.

That is honestly a lot of play time if you want to get the tombstone mount. I realize that we've got almost three weeks to do it, I'm not complaining. But given that you can only be on one quest at a time AND some of them are rather specific AND some of them require winning to discourage people throwing to finish quests? It looks like I have more HotS in the near future than I had expected.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Mierenneuker posted:

It is indeed terribly worded and they screwed up, but if you really thought you would get multiple hero skins for free you were a bit delusional. I mean, this is a company that "listened to user feedback" and added gem-only skins.

Well, that's some egg on my face then.
I didn't think it was wrong to assume that they could make a compelling event with worthwhile prizes for once. I could swear they've given out event skins before. :negative:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Mounts are nice prizes, I really don't have a problem with the reward structure except this really did look made to be intentionally misleading.

Also the Alex 4 watchtower quest.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

kaesarsosei posted:

Black hearts Bay

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I definitely thought the first prize was a skin. That is weirdly misleading.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

No Wave posted:

Mounts are nice prizes, I really don't have a problem with the reward structure except this really did look made to be intentionally misleading.

Also the Alex 4 watchtower quest.

It has taken me longer to get Cursed Hollow again then to complete Zarya's and Maiev's quest. I am still waiting.

Just spent two hours playing vs AI, because I sure as hell want to win that game too. You just know I'll end getting a teammate who needs that quest as well, so I'm rotating between Falstad and Dehaka for maximum yoink potential.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 26, 2018

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

kaesarsosei posted:

Infernal Shrines and Towers of Doom are favorites. I think Cursed Hollow is solid, but it's also regarded as the #1 cheese map because it's so big you can get away with some iffy stuff.

I also really like Tomb of the Spider Queen, just because it's so compact, and the turn in mechanic is good: it adds a dynamic the other maps don't have where in addition to the lanes you have to constantly be alert for the other team trying to turn in gems. I think it's the only map aside from BHB where the objective is present in some form for the entire game rather than spawning every few minutes, and deaths can be significantly more meaningful because you lose your gems regardless of what phase of the game you're in.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Mierenneuker posted:

It has taken me longer to get Cursed Hollow again then to complete Zarya's and Maiev's quest. I am still waiting.

Just spent two hours playing vs AI, because I sure as hell want to win that game too. You just know I'll end getting a teammate who needs that quest as well, so I'm rotating between Falstad and Dehaka for maximum yoink potential.
i'm going to try making a new account then queueing it with my existing account in vs ai with ai teammates. Hoping that will work.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Oh I hit lvl 10 with Varian and got a Varian chest. Got a Drek'Thar announcer. Never heard of em.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
He’s the horde core on alterac pass.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

How are people feeling about reworked brightwing?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

They seem alright from the couple people I've seen on them, it's just everyone is too busy collecting their free wins with new Kerrigan to care for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Yardbomb posted:

because it spawns in three terrors who do exactly what the player terror would do to structures.

Ignore them to gently caress around collecting seeds and doing merc camps? :v: