Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Have you considered that you have offended Lord Poseidon somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Nth Doctor posted:

It's been four years but I'm finally able to make it through a thunderstorm without needing anti anxiety meds.

Oh I'm definitely going to have PTSD over this, but more of mine will be from reading your post than my flood. My girlfriend is telling me that a lot of times people pay out of pocket to get their full repairs done early only to get a measly check from insurance. I guess my neighbors got their units repaired so much more quickly than ours by doing that. Hope they don't get screwed.

I'm glad we hired a PA if it means it caused our insurance to just go ahead and skip offering the measly check, pay for a year plus of our relocation, and do a much more lengthy investigation of how much they owe and how much our HOA owes.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Byzantine posted:

Have you considered that you have offended Lord Poseidon somehow?

Considering my street flooded tonight due to heavy rain and clogged catch basins, that may be what's up.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Nth Doctor posted:

Considering my street flooded tonight due to heavy rain and clogged catch basins, that may be what's up.

Dude you need to find a steer and sacrifice it on the beach. Poseidon's wrath is legendary for a reason.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

From AI:

https://i.imgur.com/1LYqp9V.mp4

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Nth Doctor posted:

It's been four years but I'm finally able to make it through a thunderstorm without needing anti anxiety meds.
You sound like you need a vacation. I hear the NC Outer Banks are nice and quiet now that it's after Labor Day and peak tourist season is over.

:getin:

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Nth Doctor posted:

You must have small paws to type so well.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Nth Doctor posted:

All of structural work went against the condo association's master policy because the ultimate fault was the storm drain in my upstairs neighbor's laundry room had pipes disconnected between their floor and my ceiling and according to the bylaws, the condo association owned everything inside the walls.

We had a waterline mishap in a university lab I worked for that ended up with a poo poo ton of water all over the floor. We go in and mop everything up into the floor drains. Turns out those drains weren't connected to anything and just dumped into the lab space below ours.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Ahh the classic "Not my problem" drain.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it sounds like it worked. Didn't the people on the floor below also have floor drains?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
if it was unconnected drains all the way down would that be a cascading failure or a cascading success?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

I wonder what he expected would happen.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

TotalLossBrain posted:

I wonder what he expected would happen.

When I get through, I'll just stop real quick!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Oh poo poo, I watched that on my phone and thought it was just more sparks. Do those big stickers denote that there are flammable gases inside?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I went to a residential highschool in a building that had once been a hospital and one day water came pouring into the ground floor, down all the stairs from the girls' dorm. Up on the fifth floor two ladies were in a room doing whatever when all of a sudden the sprinkler line burst and quite a lot of water ran free before they could get the fire department there to close that shutoff.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Cojawfee posted:

Oh poo poo, I watched that on my phone and thought it was just more sparks. Do those big stickers denote that there are flammable gases inside?

I'm more intrigued by the fact that the canister keeps rumbling and rocking back and forth after the visible flames disappear lol

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Could have been any flammable liquid and it could have ended much worse. If you want to cut or weld a drum, you have to fill it with water to force out any vapors still left, otherwise it's a potential bomb.

-e-
The one sign I recognize is that the content is a water hazard.

-e2-
Red diamond = flammable liquid

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 26, 2018

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I'm mostly amazed by how quickly his shirt vaporized.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Yep.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I'm more intrigued by the fact that the canister keeps rumbling and rocking back and forth after the visible flames disappear lol

The boom probably bowed out the bottom, making it a bit unstable.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I never noticed that initially, holy poo poo!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Sooo how OSHA is not having flashback arrestors on the tubes for an oxygen - acetylene welding setup? :thunk:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Given the damage that flash did to his shirt, I'm assuming he suffered some burns on his face that were not immediately evident.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

My experience of water leaks is enough to tell me that you neve, ever want to live below somebody. Had a pipe connector blow in a ceiling, water came down through the lights, went through the kitchen floor and completely trashed the room in the flat below. I got a new ceiling and floor out of it, downstairs got an abject lesson in why putting a "dry" room below a "wet" one is discouraged by building regs.

Mind you two years on and it still smells a bit damp occasionally.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012
It doesn't even need to be a wet room. This August the AC condenser line on my upstairs neighbor's AC unit clogged and I woke up to a nice puddle in the carpet next to my utility closet.

Caught it before it made a big problem fortunately and the landlord took it seriously.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

Asproigerosis posted:

The real issue of that CT affair is hospitals never upgrading or doing preventative/proactive maintenance. The unit was probably old as poo poo, and never got upgrades or modernization. This is how all hospitals work, they grind equipment to dust until it breaks and there no parts left on the planet to fix it or all the service engineers that learned the arcane mysticism to repair them are dead (this isn't even a joke). ...

CT scanners running at full speed are some of the more mad scientist contraptions out there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CWpZKuy-NE

Patient goes here :science:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

cyberbug posted:

CT scanners running at full speed are some of the more mad scientist contraptions out there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CWpZKuy-NE

If I understand physics right, I'd think the center of that donut is where you'd want to be if poo poo started breaking loose.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

cyberbug posted:

im glad i saw that after the dozen ct scans ive had :ohdear:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If I understand physics right, I'd think the center of that donut is where you'd want to be if poo poo started breaking loose.

Yes, probably the safest place in the room, disbarring immediate and catastrophic failure.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Looks like it was some sort of nylon/polyester type material.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

In all accident photos that is where loose metal objects want to go, so ummm I think I'll wait outside the room.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Nenonen posted:

In all accident photos that is where loose metal objects want to go, so ummm I think I'll wait outside the room.

Accidents where the spinny part rips apart? If that broke up, all of the pieces would fly out tangentially to the original circle. You are probably thinking about accidents where something metal gets near an MR and gets sucked into the big magnets.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I feel like any accident that results in a violent disassembly is probably gonna make it spin off kilter after a bit and at that point, I wouldn't trust the safety of the circle.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Azathoth posted:

I feel like any accident that results in a violent disassembly is probably gonna make it spin off kilter after a bit and at that point, I wouldn't trust the safety of the circle.

not to mention things that fly off, hit the ground, then bounce back towards you

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It'll be like that scene in Contact when Jake Busey blows up the alien teleporter.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Except fortunately without Jake Busey.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Wonder how much they paid the guy who had to figure out how to place all the gazillion doohickeys so they would properly counterbalance each other

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Sooo how OSHA is not having flashback arrestors on the tubes for an oxygen - acetylene welding setup? :thunk:
Suicidally so. Acetylene wants to gently caress you up. It is aching for an opportunity. Nobody would use Acetylene except it is so good at it's job. Even so, plenty of people use propane instead just so they don't have a blood crazed psychopath sitting in a bottle anywhere near them.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Preparing for some ship breaking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kDbwE7mFck

I especially love the beach fire in the last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Cartoon posted:

Suicidally so. Acetylene wants to gently caress you up. It is aching for an opportunity. Nobody would use Acetylene except it is so good at it's job. Even so, plenty of people use propane instead just so they don't have a blood crazed psychopath sitting in a bottle anywhere near them.

CROOK 1: "Hey, do you smell something strange? It's kinda like... bad eggs?" *hideout explodes*
*later*
THE CHIEF: "Goddamn it Acetylene, you're a loose cannon, but you're the best I've got!"

Anyways finally a chance to post these photos a classmate sent me after I switched to my school's machining/CAD program. This was 4-5 years ago and I was about 150 feet away in a drafting class when it happened, sounded like a dumpster fell off a truck.