Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I found to appreciate the LAZR series way over time when paired with Monster/Gungnir. They have tons of ammo, stunlocks insects and bends hectors in such a way that you can stand right in front of them and make them fire away from you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

Enjoy them while you can because in 5 almost all of the wing divers lasers suck rear end. 90% of them have the "damage lowers as clip empties" gimmick.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
https://www.d3p.co.jp/edfir/en/index.html

Iron Rain website has been updated with info on the monsters. Unlike numbered EDF games where you defeat anything with the biggest explosions you can muster, Iron Rain boss monsters may have weak points you have to hit. Some monsters also generate shields.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
IA committed the cardinal sin of showing you a ginormous alien ship and not letting you shoot at it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

https://www.d3p.co.jp/edfir/en/index.html

Iron Rain website has been updated with info on the monsters. Unlike numbered EDF games where you defeat anything with the biggest explosions you can muster, Iron Rain boss monsters may have weak points you have to hit. Some monsters also generate shields.

there's some interesting stuff there. for starters, male wing divers, and their heavies can use guns while also keeping shields up.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there's some interesting stuff there. for starters, male wing divers, and their heavies can use guns while also keeping shields up.

Disappointed the male wing divers have their own suits instead of having to wear second hand titty armor

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Disappointed the male wing divers have their own suits instead of having to wear second hand titty armor

They weren't willing to get the ribs removed.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They might be able to wear garter belts.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

girth brooks part 2 posted:

wait for the pc version modding scene to correct this terrible mistake

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
EDF5 pre-purchase is up on EU PS Store. 50 euros is the price and 12th of December for the release date

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The main site updated to show off all the enemies in the game. Nothing being hidden. It isn't entirely accurate, but they fixed the standerd edition.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

this game's coming out in a week!! is there a discord or something whats up

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
How will unlocking Hardest and Inferno work? Do I have to complete the whole game on Easy, or can I join a coop game online for the last mission and just complete that final mission online, on any difficulty, to unlock the extra difficulties in single-player?

I wonder if and when the release the PC version of EDF 5 if it would be simple to by-pass that constraint?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You should unlock Hardest and Inferno by beating all the missions. It also lets you pick either outfit. I would bumrush Easy since the drops should be equal to playing Normal. No need to grind and you can go straight to Hard mode all the characters.

It looks like the PC release may be quiet. I refuse to believe it is only a console release since porting is easier than 4.1.

lets hang out posted:

this game's coming out in a week!! is there a discord or something whats up
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/GoonDefenseForce

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 5, 2018

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Scalding Coffee posted:

It looks like the PC release may be quiet. I refuse to believe it is only a console release since porting is easier than 4.1.

Maybe about as quiet as the 4.1 release and that wingdiver game, where they announce it like 2 weeks before launch
https://www.dualshockers.com/earth-defense-force-5-iron-rain-interview-producer-western-release-differences-craziness/

quote:

Both games have been announced only for PS4, but Okajima-san mentioned that a possibility to expand to other platforms exists, even if for the moment there is no specific plan for that.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Scalding Coffee posted:

You should unlock Hardest and Inferno by beating all the missions. It also lets you pick either outfit. I would bumrush Easy since the drops should be equal to playing Normal. No need to grind and you can go straight to Hard mode all the characters.
It's a personal, subjective thing, but I really don't want to play thru the game on Easy just to play it all over again. Maybe I can just wait for the PC version and someone will release a trainer or upload their save game with the difficulties unlocked.

I don't get the whole forced locking thing. Just makes it a bigger chore for the player. The developers don't gain anything from it. Bitch, bitch, bitch, whine, whine whine.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

You can just play hard straight away in EDF5. No need to go to Easy or Normal first, as those are really really easy and boring. My friend and I just played Hard straight away and beat the game just fine.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Auuugh D3 Publisher announce if you're doing a PC port or not. All of my own EDF bros are sitting on their hands because they'd prefer a PC port and don't want to double dip and I don't want to buy it alone. :smith:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Kanos posted:

Auuugh D3 Publisher announce if you're doing a PC port or not. All of my own EDF bros are sitting on their hands because they'd prefer a PC port and don't want to double dip and I don't want to buy it alone. :smith:

For real

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Kanos posted:

Extremely this

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I'm sad it's digital only so even if I got it on PS4 I gotta pay full price.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

nnnotime posted:

How will unlocking Hardest and Inferno work? Do I have to complete the whole game on Easy, or can I join a coop game online for the last mission and just complete that final mission online, on any difficulty, to unlock the extra difficulties in single-player?

Storm One posted:

There have been patches but I assume this still holds:

quote:

it appears that "complete the game" seems to just be "clear mission 111 on any difficulty". Individual missions still need to be unlocked one at a time as before but theoretically you can jump into a room playing the final mission and unlock Inferno right at the start.
you can't make a room and set it to a mission you haven't cleared yet, you can only join other people's.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Kanos posted:

Auuugh D3 Publisher announce if you're doing a PC port or not.

I doubt very much that any company in this day and age is going to come out and definitely say they're not going to do a PC port. (okay, okay, Red Dead, so I guess I'll say 'small company')

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Storm One posted:

There have been patches but I assume this still holds:

No, you can't make a room and set it to a mission you haven't cleared yet, you can only join other people's.

a7m2 posted:

You can just play hard straight away in EDF5. No need to go to Easy or Normal first, as those are really really easy and boring. My friend and I just played Hard straight away and beat the game just fine.

Thank you for the reminders. I had forgotten you both answered me on this already. It's been a long year.

Both of you represent the best virtues that our species have been struggling to achieve for centuries. Especially in the face of terrifying invaders from extra-solar origins.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Stelas posted:

I doubt very much that any company in this day and age is going to come out and definitely say they're not going to do a PC port. (okay, okay, Red Dead, so I guess I'll say 'small company')

4.1 on PC was big enough that it would be silly if they didn't do a port of 5, the main question is if it's going to be relatively soon or a year and a half down the road.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
As a PC gamer, I demand the opportunity to shoot frog-like giant insects :argh:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Any goons picking this up on PS4 that want to save the Earth by blowing up large chunks of it together add me herr_pink

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

RBX posted:

I'm sad it's digital only so even if I got it on PS4 I gotta pay full price.

This is ridiculously irritating. :(

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Scalding Coffee posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/GoonDefenseForce
If it's anything like the previous EDF games, the first level or two throws a bunch of AI pals at you, who don't instantly get melted unless you're on inferno. So probably just do those on hard a few times for some nice guns, then rampage through easy for any unlocks.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The AI have plot armor. It is shown in the video of the training missions.
A few more days and I'll have to leave the thread for half a year or so.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Is there a confirmed release time for this on the PSN store?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Midnight eastern time, so 9 hours from about now, at least in the US

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Just started and the dialogue is just as bad/good as 4.1already

I'M OPENING THE BLAST DOOR NOW

I'M SURE THERE ARE TONS OF MONSTERS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE DOOR

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

getting mulched by a thousand drones is a familiar feel

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
Quickly played the first mission before work today. When I heard the line " GEORGE WAS EATEN!" I knew the best game of 2018 was here.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

lets hang out posted:

getting mulched by a thousand drones is a familiar feel

Yeah that 5th(?) mission is a real jump on hard. Got to the point where I was surviving alright until the mothership fires something and then my camera locks on the event and every drone nearby turns me into a fine mist while I have no control

Better luck tomorrow I’m sure!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Good Citizen posted:

Yeah that 5th(?) mission is a real jump on hard. Got to the point where I was surviving alright until the mothership fires something and then my camera locks on the event and every drone nearby turns me into a fine mist while I have no control

Better luck tomorrow I’m sure!

The camera stealing thing is such bullshit and it will kill you a lot because it happens a bunch of times.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Yeah that mission was a huge difficulty bump. Started on hard difficulty and made it to around 13-14 with just randoms playing as Fencer. Thankfully you don't see UFOs for a bit after that mission.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

a7m2 posted:

The camera stealing thing is such bullshit and it will kill you a lot because it happens a bunch of times.

You can turn it off. There’s a “camera effects” or similar knob in the settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Holy poo poo, there's been some weird enemies in these games before, but I never expected aliens that look exactly like humans!