Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I'm morbidly curious to try it, if only to see for myself. If I bail for it being too stupid it won't be the first time I've encountered a mod pack like that.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

And for gently caress's sake, disable the exploding machines in the configs.

What options am I looking for for this exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
It's a gargantuan, insanely polished pack that mates a crazy detailed quest book and one of my favorite sets of worldgen mods ever to the masochistic pure self loathing of Gregtech's badness. If GT doesn't immediately put you off, there's a ton to love in there under it, and it's got one of the most fanatically devoted dev teams to ever be in the business. I wish FTB had even half the dedication and attention to detail they did. It's hard to explain succintly the ways the amount of work they've put into it shows through, but you'll catch on pretty quick if you spend much time with it.

Also, if you have issues, questions, whatever about the pack, their Discord has a huge community that's always got someone waiting.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 26, 2018

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

you know how ic2 has a bunch of intermediate crafting bullshit, delicate machinery with strict voltage requirements (and explosions upon failing to obey them), and other fiddly mechanics like randomly destroying machines even when you use the proper tool to harvest them?

gregtech saw all that and said "what if the entire mod had two orders of magnitude more of that"

I started playing modded minecraft again since playing ic2 and I still get scared picking up any machine ever. There is nothing quite like all your hard work popping into non-existence for no reason.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Super Jay Mann posted:

I'm morbidly curious to try it, if only to see for myself. If I bail for it being too stupid it won't be the first time I've encountered a mod pack like that.

What options am I looking for for this exactly?

\config\gregtech\gregtech.txt

machines {
B:colored_guis_when_painted=true
B:constant_need_of_energy=true
B:explosions_on_nonwrenching=false
B:fire_causes_explosions=false
B:lightning_causes_explosions=false
B:machines_explosion_damage=false
B:machines_flammable=false
B:rain_causes_explosions=false
B:wirefire_on_explosion=false

I leave in the constant need for energy because it's not disaster invoking and it forces you to plan your energy setups.

Also if you disable this poo poo like rain causing explosions, make sure you do it again every time you update the modpack, it tends to reset the configs back to the default gently caress you state.

Be warned it will take you a long-rear end time to crawl your way tooth and nail up the tech tree. I'm talking 20 hours before you can start producing the 10-15 steel/hr with the bricked blast furnace that you need like, 80 to get your first steam turbine + electric machine. This is not a bee-line down the tech tree pack. There's a heavy amount of waiting around for poo poo to cook, but you always have ten projects going on, so even like expanding your farms, or god help you, bees*.

* Bees are 100% skippable and you can't even do Gendustry til you reach loving Mars. I went there once to get a renewable source of gallium for circuits. It was not worth the time. Once you can fully process ores for byproducts you will outproduce loving bees just by ripping apart the veins you find on your scanner.

One more cheating suggestion, give yourself a couple Admin Anchors and chunkload your base. That poo poo should be free for single player because why the gently caress shouldn't my poo poo process while i'm mining.

You know what, gently caress it, huge GTNH post coming up.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I've been tempted to play GTNH for a long, long time, but the starting grind has always put me off of the game. Maybe with those tips and tricks you've posted, I might finally give it a serious shot.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Okay, so GTNH. This poo poo will last you forever if you stick with it, but eventually it does just become "get to next planet, find next tier of ore, upgrade ship and machines, repeat". Who cares that part is literally 1000+ hours in. This is going to be a massive loving wall of text right now, maybe I'll spice it up with screenshots later.

Tier 0 (Stone Age): Okay strap in. GTNH has all those annoying hunger mods, total blackness at 0 light, etc. Start your world like any sane person and /gamerule KeepInventory true, and MobGriefing False. One stray creeper can wipe out literally 200 hours of your game.

Do the initial quests, suffer through punching trees, dirt, gravel. Flint is your first currency, stock up (craft 3 gravel shapeless). Keep an eye out for some landmarks like villages, hardened clay fields or mountains, thaumcraft obelisks or magical forest, roguelike dungeons, or giant oil geysers. Waypoint everything. Also try to find spruce or jungle saplings for the 2x2 giant trees, rubber trees, and cotton. I like to settle near a river because water is not infinite and clay is critical. Once you find a good spot for a home, just push along the quests and set up your basic vanilla essentials, wheat and pam-stuff farm, tree farm, some apple trees, etc. You'll want some animals eventually, too. Make a rubber tree farm (12-16 trees minimum) and either tap them regularly, or chop and replace them. You will need hundreds/thousands of sticky resin.

Coke Oven? Make 2. Actually make 4 or 6 eventually but 2 is fine for now. I actually had 12 at one point.

The quest book with get you set up with tinker tools and an iron pickaxe head. Make two picks, one flint that you can repair and use to mine stone, one with the iron to actually mine ore. Scan for ore with your amazing scanner that accidentally fell off a truck and into your inventory. You want to find a couple types of veins:

Chalcopyrite/Pyrite/Copper/Iron and/or Banded Iron/Malachite/Limonite (brown & yellow)
Tin or Cassiterite (Cassiterite sand also works)
Redstone loving obviously
Diamond/coal/graphite

Those guys will get you covered until you're ready to leave the bronze/steam age.

Mine forever. Seriously. Get like 4 stacks of iron, 10 or more of copper, 3 stacks of tin. You need thousands of ore. Waypoint all your veins and teleport around like Nightcrawler. Cheat yourself a sweet hammer if you hate mining, no one is judging you. You need all sort of dumbass gregtools that have durability like hammers, a file, a screwdriver, a saw. Use your mineral wealth to further quest and move to:

Tier 1 (Steam Age):
Not much to say about this age, actually. There's not really any trick to pushing through it or optimizing it. Follow the quests, learn the pain of making plates out of 2 ingots or shaving an entire bar down to a single screw. Steam machines consume steam directly for power, based on their electric versions' EU consumption. Here's the math:

Steam converts to EU in a turbine at 2 steam to 1 EU. Steam machines get a 100% conversion rate here (turbines are 85% at best), but take twice as long so are actually more costly to operate. Every small coal boiler generates steam at a rate of 6/tick, or 3 EU/t. This means a single boiler can run a macerator forever, but the alloy smelter will guzzle steam and stall out if you try to cook more than a couple runs of bronze. The quest book does a pretty good job explaining the rest of what you need to know for steam machines. You have to make basically everything other than a steam furnace, but one note is that the steam forge hammer makes plates at 3:2 instead of 2:1, saving you materials.

At this point I'm going to assume if you've made it this far you're getting comfortable with the greg poo poo and the quests. Get yourself a bricked blast furnace and start cooking coal coke so you can make steel 50% faster than with charcoal. Weep at the volumes of trees you need to convert to charcoal to keep your steam industry running. Once again, cheat yourself a Lumber Axe if you're like me and want to reduce the tedium. Once you get that blast furnace (holy crap that was a hurdle) and get enough steel, keep questing and get into the electric age

Tier 2 (LV electricity!):

So Tier 2 is awesome because you start taking these abusive resource costs and knocking them down. Bending Machine makes plates at 1:1, wiremill makes wires at 1:2! Sawmill can cut planks for you at 1:4, or 1:6 if you supply lubricant! This is where you really start cursing the low energy density of steam. I usually end up making a huge Railcraft tank to store steam as a low-tech battery. Tier 2 is also super cool because you can start squeezing byproducts out of your ores via the ore washing plant and the regular & thermal centrifuges. You will need pretty much every machine the quest book offers so you just putter along improving your infrastructure, but here we take a break to talk about power.

Power is everything in this modpack. I'm talking how much EU you can use to fuel your crazy infrastructure. You will always, always need more power. There's no problem that can't be solved by having more power to throw around. The Electric Blast Furnace, which is the gateway to the next tier of machines, is an absurd power hog. I'm talking 200k EU per ingot of aluminum, and it only gets worse. And if power gets interrupted for a single tick, the machine crashes and loses all progress and has to be rebooted with a soft hammer. You're gonna want battery buffers hooked up to everything, with large enough wires to support the amperage. If you have two turbines, make sure you always use 2x cables. If you hook up a 4x battery buffer, use 4x cables. There are higher tiers that carry more amps per wire, but that's the rule of thumb. Also keep a battery in the energy slot of every machine so they don't stall out. Machines have a very small internal buffer for power so the battery keeps them going if your power usage goes over your generation (it will)

Fortunately, once you've got your array of basic machines, you can actually look into a few alternate power sources like methane or petroleum. For Methane you can centrifuge organic things like food or rotten flesh. The best thing to do, though, is use rubber wood. Hope you saved up a million stacks! This is actually a positive power loop so long as you keep feeding it rubber wood, with a bonus of providing a shitton of sticky resin and plantballs (bank these for later, of course!). The net gain is small, but you just load up a drawer on a hopper and let it run and it will produce more EU worth of methane than it consumes. Plus Methane is a very rich power source, so you can load up some cells or dolly a tank over to another part of your base and it works like a battery.

You can also go for petroleum power, but the diesel engines are VERY expensive in terms of steel compared to the other two turbines. You can make a pump and power it to suck up those huge oil geysers, or even just make a fat tank (like gold), and fill it with a bucket, then dolly it back to your base via waypoint teleport. Then you run it through the distillery to make sulfuric light fuel, then in a chemical reactor with hydrogen cells to extract the sulfur and get nice pure fuel. Need Hydrogen? Electrolyze some water. As a bonus, diesel engines can burn the creosote that you've probably been dumping out of your coke ovens. It's not a very rich fuel source (8k eu/bucket), but it's free.

You also want to start automating the really annoying poo poo. Tin item pipes, bronze fluid pipes, and LV pumps and conveyor modules are your friends. You can actually trade those stupid coins you've been getting from quests for extra motors, pumps, etc. Feel free to blow them, the technician coins are renewable through mob slaying quests (albeit on a longish timer). Anyway, set up a drawer with all your wood and put a pipe next to it, attach a conveyor to the side of the pipe facing the drawer, right click with a screwdriver to change it to suck in items and then link the pipes to all your coke ovens. Do the same to pull out the charcoal and funnel it to your boilers, and then use pumps to pull the creosote out to a holding tank or a diesel engine.

This is pretty much where you need to build the EBF and start making aluminum and MV circuits. Quest book is your friend as always. I also recommend a non-lethal mob farm at some point, so you can poke mobs to death to farm the repeatable quests that award coins. You can also cash in a different type of coin for mob spawn eggs, which is a great way to get ender pearls and blaze rods.

Tier 3 (MV machines and Thaumcraft):

Okay here's where it gets even crazier. So once you have your first aluminum you can side quest to the twilight forest and kill the naga to make your first thaumcraft wand. You can't make a 50-vis wand until the next voltage tier but it lets you get some of the awesome magical crops from Thaumic Bases (mainly the redstone melons), as well as thaumium for the extra mod on tinker tools. Don't neglect thaumcraft forever, you must be a wizard to go to space. I also recommend cheating the 100% research book and then cheating away all the warp. Love you thaumcraft but gently caress doing your research game for the 30th time.

MV tier opens some cool options like making Bio-Diesel, drilling for oil beneath bedrock, and converting charcoal to benzene. It helps to have pretty much all these power sources because your power needs kind of quadruple (or more) every tier. You can also get into EnderIO to get the farming station and whatever else is useful in that mod.

Bio-Diesel: So Bio-Diesel isn't really amazing, but it's renewable which is always a plus. GT has these weird fish traps made from wrought iron bars. Stick them in the water and they suck up fish and other junk. Use conveyors to pipe everything to a bank of drawers (or use enderIO conduits + filters) to get the fish to an extractor and make fish oil. Then you can follow the plantball->biomass daisy chain to make ethanol, then mix the ethanol with fish oil to make bio-diesel. You can skip the fish part and just make ethanol because you're gonna need it for polyethylene soon!

Oil Drilling Rig: A sickass steel multiblock that gives you stupid amounts of free oil. So that fancy scanner we cheated in day one? Sneak right click to change modes, and scan for oil. Either click a block to check your chunk, or the air to see the map. Either way if you find any kind of oil or natural gas with 100+ units, you're golden. 300+ is a crazy jackpot of nigh-infinite oil. Like a 300 unit oil chunk gives about 45,000 buckets before it gives out. If you don't care about the power you can use it to produce Naphtha to make polyethylene as well!

Benzene from Charcoal: This is a janky renewable I found that I've never seen anyone else use. Charcoal goes into an extractor to make wood tar, which goes in an MV distillery to make Benzene at a very low power cost. The creosote from the charcoal production is more than enough to fuel the conversion. It's not super high throughput but it takes only 2 machines and your existing coke oven infrastructure. I just lumber axe my giant spruce farm once every couple hours and load up a drawer of wood and pipe the benzene upstairs into a tank to use as a portable power source for my gas turbines. The higher version of this is a Pyrolyse Oven which does the same thing about a hundred times faster, but holy poo poo that machine is expensive and also higher tier.

You can also make 8v solar panels once you hit MV and they're great for low power machines like the compressor or to avoid piping fuel over to a small system (like a loop that compresses air and then centrifuges it for oxygen & nitrogen). Also nice for supplementing the cost of creating your fuels.

One last tip: Tinker tools only gain modifier slots as they level. If you use a paper binding and thaumium rod, you can get 2 free mods. Making an obsidian large plate adds a stack of Reinforced to the tool. You can absolutely hit Reinforced X and make an unbreakable tool this way. Obsidian is a perfectly serviceable tool head and gives 3 more free levels of reinforced.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I also recommend being very free with journeymap teleports since you do a shitton of wandering around looking for veins and some surface features.
This is why every pack, but especially ones based on exploration, need some kind of teleport mod. Make it rare or expensive, so players still have to work off hubs and can't just skip walking entirely, forever, sure. But put it in there.

When I made my TerrafirmaCraft modpack I threw colorful portals in at the last minute because you need to move so drat much in that pack that making a trip to and from the tropics takes so long that it's something you only want to have to do once.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

This is why every pack, but especially ones based on exploration, need some kind of teleport mod. Make it rare or expensive, so players still have to work off hubs and can't just skip walking entirely, forever, sure. But put it in there.

When I made my TerrafirmaCraft modpack I threw colorful portals in at the last minute because you need to move so drat much in that pack that making a trip to and from the tropics takes so long that it's something you only want to have to do once.

Blightfall was tops in the way waypoints worked.

Possible add the abilty to craft more.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

that gregblock thing is an ex nihilo skyblock so it sounds like the ore thing might actually be a shitload easier than regular-rear end gregtech

though i doubt it

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vib Rib posted:

TerrafirmaCraft has rails, you are nothing but a dirty cheater :colbert:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Rutibex posted:

TerrafirmaCraft has rails, you are nothing but a dirty cheater :colbert:
I know this is just a shitpost but I'm talking literally a 20 minute real-time cart ride even after the rails are set up. Just sitting there staring at your screen doing nothing and not being entertained for the duration. The only benefit would be tabbing out, at which point why not just teleport in the first place?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
well *someone's* no fun and hates rollercoasters :v:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

I know this is just a shitpost but I'm talking literally a 20 minute real-time cart ride even after the rails are set up. Just sitting there staring at your screen doing nothing and not being entertained for the duration. The only benefit would be tabbing out, at which point why not just teleport in the first place?

Terrafirmacraft is, like, the one modpack where having a horse was a massive, massive boost to QOL. Once I figured out that horses were cool and good, TFC got so much easier.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Is Rootin Rootin Tex Mex up to claiming 1.10 as the pinnacle apex of MC modding, untouched by the sullied past or degenerate future; yet?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

StealthArcher posted:

Is Rootin Rootin Tex Mex up to claiming 1.10 as the pinnacle apex of MC modding, untouched by the sullied past or degenerate future; yet?

Honestly, the mod packs that are released these days are all fairly unique. Its not so much about the mods, but how the mod pack creator puts it all together (and how they design the quest book). It's hard to say any particular version is the best any more. There are really great packs worth playing in pretty much every version now :shrug:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Well, I tried out Gregblock to see how bad it is, and... I think the start might be the worst part. It's ex nihilo, so you need to crook trees to sieve dirt etc. Except because of gregtech you get half as many planks out of logs and half as many sticks out of planks. THANK GOD you can craft wooden slabs normally.
Then comes the problem of having to wait for it to rain, because you can't just melt saplings in the crucible and move it with an iron bucket to get clay-- the iron bucket requires tools. So you want to wait for it to rain so you can get clay to make some clay shears and shear leaves for some relatively quick dirt composting and sifting. Also clay for a clay bucket so you can set up an infinite water source. Thankfully, water is infinite in the pack.
Speaking of sifting, the gregtech ore types are present in chunk forms via sifting gravel and sand.

I think it's actually mainly regular gregtech once you get ore production going? It's got some other mods in it I guess but they don't interest me, so I'm just going to stop here.

Seems like Gregtech Community Edition is slightly different from what I've seen of GT5. The starting blast furnace is not made of bronze.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 27, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Then comes the problem of having to wait for it to rain, because you can't just melt saplings in the crucible and move it with an iron bucket to get clay-- the iron bucket requires tools. So you want to wait for it to rain so you can get clay to make some clay shears and shear leaves for some relatively quick dirt composting and sifting.

What are you talking about?

Works just fine with saplings.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

What are you talking about?

Works just fine with saplings.

I think he's saying you can't get a bucket to move it around to put it in a barrel to make clay.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Falcon2001 posted:

I think he's saying you can't get a bucket to move it around to put it in a barrel to make clay.

You just dunk the dust right into the crucible.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You just dunk the dust right into the crucible.

That's news to me. Also it looks like you aren't even using a torch under it? I wound up sifting gravel until I got some lignite coal to make torches with, because I thought you needed a heat source. 1.12 ex nihilo changed some things I guess.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

That's news to me. Also it looks like you aren't even using a torch under it? I wound up sifting gravel until I got some lignite coal to make torches with, because I thought you needed a heat source. 1.12 ex nihilo changed some things I guess.

Wooden crucibles don't need heat. All they do is "melt" saplings and leaves into water, no other inputs necessary. You're thinking of the crucible made from porcelain clay that you use for lava. That one you do need a torch for.

The quests point you towards the wooden crucible, too.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Wooden crucibles don't need heat. All they do is "melt" saplings and leaves into water, no other inputs necessary. You're thinking of the crucible made from porcelain clay that you use for lava. That one you do need a torch for.

Ex nihilo makes no sense and has little to no consistency. Someone should make a better "get resources from the void" mod, and Sky Resources 2 isn't it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

bbcisdabomb posted:

Ex nihilo makes no sense and has little to no consistency. Someone should make a better "get resources from the void" mod, and Sky Resources 2 isn't it.

The wooden crucible is a bit of an outlier, yeah. Back in the dark 1.7 days, you indeed had to wait for it to rain to get water, then bail it out with a glass bottle. The wooden crucible was added sometime after to make it so you didn't have to just sit there until it rained to progress.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

bbcisdabomb posted:

Ah man I love SkyResources2. It's 100% better than Ex Nihilo in my opinion - or at the very least, I really enjoy the core concept of 'it upgrades over time and gets less tedious', which Ex Nihilo just...you automate it, and you can build a bunch of it and that's it. SR2 has issues, but I really enjoy the core loops a ton better than EN.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Ex nihilo also has an incredibly tedious beginning, from crooking leaves and composting dirt to hand sieving stacks of poo poo. Sky resources is better but not by much and I dislike the dependence on mob farms (which may have just been the pack? Modern Skyblock 2 I think?)

I'd really prefer devices that slowly accrue resources and can be upgraded or fed fuel to improve. Like hopping bonsais give a trickle of wood and saplings, let me get them right away in Skyblock instead of making me burn 30 crooks and an hour to get enough dirt to sieve to make the cobble to make a furnace.
At this point I just cheat the poo poo out of that early game ex nihilo stuff because it's not interesting past the first time you do it, and pretty much every pack only actually starts once you have the cobblegen and sieve running.

Skyblock modpack authors: Add an option to start on like a 7x7 island with all the basic ex nihilo necessities laid out or stuffed in a chest for people who are playing their 10th Skyblock pack.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm not a fan of the expert (start on a tree on a dirt block) skyblocks just because more than half the time the tree doesn't generate a replacement sapling for me.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Ex nihilo also has an incredibly tedious beginning, from crooking leaves and composting dirt to hand sieving stacks of poo poo. Sky resources is better but not by much and I dislike the dependence on mob farms (which may have just been the pack? Modern Skyblock 2 I think?)

I'd really prefer devices that slowly accrue resources and can be upgraded or fed fuel to improve. Like hopping bonsais give a trickle of wood and saplings, let me get them right away in Skyblock instead of making me burn 30 crooks and an hour to get enough dirt to sieve to make the cobble to make a furnace.
At this point I just cheat the poo poo out of that early game ex nihilo stuff because it's not interesting past the first time you do it, and pretty much every pack only actually starts once you have the cobblegen and sieve running.

Skyblock modpack authors: Add an option to start on like a 7x7 island with all the basic ex nihilo necessities laid out or stuffed in a chest for people who are playing their 10th Skyblock pack.

Agree with this, although you can get away with a really small mob farm for SR2. Basically the only thing you need consistently from the mob farm is bones, because you can turn Cobble into Gunpowder after a few casing upgrades, which is the other big alchemical thing. (Cobble (grind)> Gravel (craft)> Flint (combust)> Gunpowder). And even then, I rarely visit my mob farm now, long enough that the gold chest fills up between visits. I just do a drop tower.

Also, 100% agreed on the 'let me start after the basic poo poo' because another skyblock map starting from nothing is just so boring.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Nah, all sky resources packs rely on mob farms for their start. You need gunpowder and various mob drops to start making metals in all cases.

And, yeah, Ex Nihilo has a kinda rough start. I'm currently "automating" it by using Mouse Keys to keep the left mouse button depressed when I hit Numpad 0 to grind out gravel/cobble from my cobblegen.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm not a fan of the expert (start on a tree on a dirt block) skyblocks just because more than half the time the tree doesn't generate a replacement sapling for me.

This actually happened to me when I started up gregblock. I just cheated in a single sapling and went from there. :shrug:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Falcon2001 posted:

Ah man I love SkyResources2. It's 100% better than Ex Nihilo in my opinion - or at the very least, I really enjoy the core concept of 'it upgrades over time and gets less tedious', which Ex Nihilo just...you automate it, and you can build a bunch of it and that's it. SR2 has issues, but I really enjoy the core loops a ton better than EN.

I like Ex Nihilo because it gets out of the way faster. SkyResources 2 requires more management and upgrades so I have to keep it in my brain, while Ex Nihilo just gives me resources so I can do interesting things.

Maybe it's because I've played Ex Nihilo more, or maybe my brain is broken. Who knows.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
Any more I just skip the cobble gen grind by cheating in a couple of stacks of cobblestone in Ex Nihilo packs. That usually allows you to get whatever automated cobble gen mechanic is in the pack up and running.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Anyone hating themselves and playing gregblock? I just made the steam boiler and the steam pump. I placed them next to each other over a 3x3 water pool, bailed water manually into the steam boiler, and started it up. The steam pump extended its pump downwards, indicating that it is doing things. However, the water inside the steam boiler isn't increasing. Do I need to use some sort of pipe to extract water from the pump? Or does it wait until there's a whole bucketsworth of space in the boiler before it transfers?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I haven't played this game since high school. Is there anything I need to have or should I play vanilla a bit and add mods to get rid of whatever annoying poo poo I run in to?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Blast of Confetti posted:

I haven't played this game since high school. Is there anything I need to have or should I play vanilla a bit and add mods to get rid of whatever annoying poo poo I run in to?

There's no harm in playing Vanilla since it's way less setup. If you want to mod, the best way is through the Twitch launcher and either grabbing a modpack or manually building your own.

Good news, ikf you ahven't played for a while, modding is SUPER easy now.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Minecraft is a great sandbox, but vanilla is so light on content it's a loving shame. I can't ever go back to vanilla. There's a modpack out there for just about every Minecraft experience you want, including just "vanilla but with more cosmetic blocks and QoL improvements.

Seriously though, just jump in because it's the better way to play!

Baby's First Space Race is a great first pack because it eases you into the modded Minecraft world that the rest of us for assumed knowledge. Alternately, you could try out one the structured story packs like Material Energy 3.

Comedy option: Gregtech New Horizons! You're brand new to modded Minecraft so you won't have a basis of comparison for the absurd grindy bullshit!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol don't recommend gregtech new horizons to a returning player with limited mod experience, jesus christ

what you want is gregblock

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

lol don't recommend gregtech new horizons to a returning player with limited mod experience, jesus christ

what you want is gregblock

We are bad people.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Divine Journey with Lycanite's Mobs attached is the best bet for a returning player imo

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Minecraft is a great sandbox, but vanilla is so light on content it's a loving shame. I can't ever go back to vanilla. There's a modpack out there for just about every Minecraft experience you want, including just "vanilla but with more cosmetic blocks and QoL improvements.

Seriously though, just jump in because it's the better way to play!

Baby's First Space Race is a great first pack because it eases you into the modded Minecraft world that the rest of us for assumed knowledge. Alternately, you could try out one the structured story packs like Material Energy 3.

Comedy option: Gregtech New Horizons! You're brand new to modded Minecraft so you won't have a basis of comparison for the absurd grindy bullshit!

100% play Baby's First Space Race. It's a fantastic intro, even if it's several versions behind. (?)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

literally just avoid anything mentioning the word 'greg' anywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

if your name is greg irl then make sure to avoid yourself while playing modded minecraft