Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
I'm still 100% on board with Imperator if only because of the inevitable Crete 2.0 LP that will come out of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I love EU4 and I'm looking forward to Imperator, but yeah these dev diaries so far have been mostly context-free info dumps that don't really seem worth reading. In EU4 a 15% discipline bonus is a pretty large bonus, so is the combat system in Imperator different enough that 15% is balanced, or are there just fewer opportunities to stack bonuses, or some third option? :shrug:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

if I get an email to be a beta tester I will probably decline.

Well, yeah. Even with games you're interested in you should probably not blow all that interest on the unfinished, bug-ridden version a beta-tester gets. Play the crapload of good, finished games that are released now and save the unfinished stuff for later.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In theory, 25% is nothing to sneeze at, but yeah, it's all just a spaghetti of numbers. I barely notice tech tree buffs in general, but it seems like they're trying to make this tradition system into one of the big features of the game? It's kinda like Civilization's governments and social policies, but Paradox.

I guess it could make interesting asymmetric conflicts, and it's more developed than CK2's systems that just gives cultures special abilities or EU's gently caress you if you're not in the right tech group, but it's still weird. I wonder if you can hop into a different culture group or something.

After the game is out and people can see what all these numbers really mean, I'd like to see how it looks, and I'd also like to see analysis on the implicit cultural commentary Paradox is making on these ancient societies.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'm still excited as hell for Imperator but it's a good point that the lists of numbers are pretty pointless. It was cool to see the Barbarian ones since that introduced us to the whole traditions system but this one really is just fluff.

On the flipside dev diaries that are mostly just a set of numbers are probably a whole bunch quicker to write than ones where they're elaborating on design decisions so I can't really fault it too much, I'd rather they actually work on the game. Plus I don't really think it means there isn't much more that's interesting to talk about (I hope, anyway), for lots of this stuff I'm sure it's just not finished enough to be shown yet.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

I'm eager to play the game but the diaries are doing nothing for me

Maybe it's easier for a game that's already out, but Wiz's Stellaris diaries don't read that dry, it's a lot of "here's why I'm making that change here is how I want it to play differently"

Jackie D fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 25, 2018

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Jackie D posted:

I'm eager to play the game but the diaries are doing nothing for me

Maybe it's easier for a game that's already out, but Wiz's Stellaris diaries don't read that dry, it's a lot of "here's why I'm making that change here is how I want it to play differently"

Uh there's a reason for this and it's not anything to do with development cycles

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

I don't follow you

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Johan doesn't explain things because he is The Visionary Creator and therefore his opinions are correct and clearly don't need explaining, Wiz on the other hand is an engineer type who wants to tell you every detail of why his new design is objectively better than the old one

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The biggest problem is these Dev diaries are the kind of stuff you get three weeks before release but you still want to build hype.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Koramei posted:

On the flipside dev diaries that are mostly just a set of numbers are probably a whole bunch quicker to write than ones where they're elaborating on design decisions so I can't really fault it too much, I'd rather they actually work on the game. Plus I don't really think it means there isn't much more that's interesting to talk about (I hope, anyway), for lots of this stuff I'm sure it's just not finished enough to be shown yet.
I agree, but they probably don't need to be putting out dev diaries at all right now if this is all they have finished or they're too busy to write more. I'll get excited again when they reveal a new system for barbarian migration or something interesting like that

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Yeah, I'm kinda sad that my hype for Imperator has been fading away.

I want more about creating my cool ancient society and less about +15% flaming war pig damage bonuses.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Who didn't expect a reskinned EU4 though?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I don't quite understand how/why CK/EU/HoI are entirely different games rather than just three rulesets based on the same architecture (although tbf I've only actually played CK and only seen screenshots of the others)

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

indigi posted:

I don't quite understand how/why CK/EU/HoI are entirely different games rather than just three rulesets based on the same architecture (although tbf I've only actually played CK and only seen screenshots of the others)

Because a game that can model the warfare of the medieval era can't model the warfare of the second world war.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I mean less flippantly, ck2 is about the relationships abd struggles of individuals, while eu4 is about the transition from kingdoms to nations and empires, and hoiv is about making tank numbers bigger.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

indigi posted:

You should play EU4, it's better than CK2 and you'll be disabused of this notion. They have mechanics in common, but they're not that similar.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Magissima posted:

You should play EU4, it's better than CK2

:frogout:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

indigi posted:

CK2 is almost like playing an RPG or something, it's all about characters and how much they hate one another or what bullshit the inbred syphilitic Karling Pope is plunging the world into. It's all about specific people and what they do, unlike the others. EU4 and HoI are superficially similar in that they're both games where you play a nation as a whole and try to paint the map your color, but EU is very much more a fundamental Grand Strategy game about diplomacy and the maneuverings/strategies that lead up to/come out of dozens of wars, spread over centuries as the world drastically changes. And then HoI is about building as many tanks as you can before the one and only war you fight pops off and then the meat is getting to make all your dudes prosecute the one and only war you fight in great detail. It's fundamentally a war game, just more accessible than all the hex-based monstrosities. They've each got their niche and play rather differently. I'm not really seeing an unfilled niche for Rome, though.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 26, 2018

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Actually, you don't need to build tanks. They're kind of a waste, especially if you plan on invading the USSR.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Mantis42 posted:

Actually, you don't need to build tanks. They're kind of a waste, especially if you plan on invading the USSR.

This guy gets it

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Imperator dev diaries should just be more pictures of the map imo, that seems like the main innovation. I'm fantasising about using armies to block mountain passes etc., but I have no idea if it will work like that.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Until there's a dev diary on straits I refuse to believe Imperator is real :colbert:

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

CK2 is probably the most believable strategy game out there because it's so organic. I wish EU4 was more like it and much less clumsy. It'd work well. The whole era should be about the emergence of the nation state and the crushing of the personal political organization of the middle ages.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
so it should be like 1774~1871

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

To some extent, this is kind of the relationship between EU and Victoria. Vicky has a lot of extra stuff, but there's a lot of very recognizable "directly from EU" systems in there.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
CK, EU, HOI, Microsoft Excel are all the same game. It's just playing with formulas to fill your color into a graph.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

zedprime posted:

CK, EU, HOI, Microsoft Excel are all the same game. It's just playing with formulas to fill your color into a graph.

I can't sleep with cell x42 and cuckold their husband y15

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

zedprime posted:

Stellaris is WordPerfect 95, where you strive endlessly for a bigger WordArt and clipart image than everyone else.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

They've each got their niche and play rather differently. I'm not really seeing an unfilled niche for Rome, though.

I think the niche for Imperator is people who think "I wish EU4 and CK2 married and had a baby" and I'm firmly in that camp. I don't mind it being a EU offshot because Rome is a dark mirror of EU. In EU one of the themes is "civilization"; Europe is the shining beacon of enlightment but it's actually built on slaves, exploitation, war, and the actual rest of the world is actually a pretty complex and fun* place to play and you can actually do it with any nation no matter how small or "barbarian".

In Rome/Imperator the europeans are the barbarians

*We still want some more love for ROTW in EU4

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

AtomikKrab posted:

I can't sleep with cell x42 and cuckold their husband y15

Well not with that attitude

cell x42 demands a little class, maybe a nice drink or two first

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I haven't been playing a lot of Pdox lately but the current thread title is amazing guys

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Why would I want to play computer games, when I could be doing sums on my abacus instead? They're basically the same thing.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

aphid_licker posted:

I haven't been playing a lot of Pdox lately but the current thread title is amazing guys

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Imperator Rome dev diary on unrest, province loyalty, cohort loyalty, character loyalty and civil wars.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

By the by, when Johan says at the end there, "it is basically game over", he means straight up "it is game over":

Johan posted:

quote:

Why losing a Civil War is game over? Won't the country still exist after as in EU4 or your character be alive as in CK2?
No. You have been annexed then.

Johan posted:

quote:

Two questions

1. So in a civil war, I go about occupying on the *provincial* level? or city by city, like other wars

2a. Basically game over? or booted to the main menu game over

2b. How do I choose sides in a civil war?
1 - like normal wars.
2a - end game screen.
2b - you are always the loyalists.

Johan posted:

quote:

That's just cheap, why not give the player the option to choose who to side with, something that's already implemented in HoI 4 civil wars.
https://hoi4.paradoxwikis.com/Civil_war
Civil Wars in Imperator is not about changing the country like HoI4, its a penalty to mismanaging your country.

Johan posted:

quote:

There are better ways to punish the player then just putting in a game over state. It's one of the most frustrating things about CKII. Just blocking you from your campaign you might not have been done with.
Civil Wars is basically when you have played badly and mismanaged. Its like losing a few wars to a stronger country.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

That seems like a good idea that will not be at all infuriating.

Also, the Victoria franchise is on sale, if anybody still hasn't picked up some bits you want from it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I actually like that idea as it gives the civil war stakes.

This feels like a real dev diary.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
It's definitely got more to chew on than the past months.

I'm not sure I am keen on the losing a Civil War meaning game over, it totally fits when playing a character or family but doesn't thematically work when playing the 'soul of a nation' like EU4.

I suppose you could argue Rome ceased to exist in some fashion after Marius/Sulla but that's a real hard sell for me.

Game Mechanic = fine, I guess, no context to argue against it.
Setting appropriate = eh, try again.

Sums up my opinion in general I think based on what we've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

From a gameplay perspective being able to cause a massive civil war and then just hopping over to the winning side would make the mechanic completely flaccid in terms of how it restricts the player from doing whatever the gently caress they like.