Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wanted to get my last Hoopla rental from the month and grabbed a movie I had been meaning to watch for years (and that I later realized was also on Prime, so ah well wasted rental, they're free).

7 (9). Jug Face (2013)

A teenage girl is chosen to be sacrificed to The Pit in a pact made by her backwoods community to keep them disease free, but she really doesn’t want to be eaten by a pit god and that causes all kinds of complications.

That wasn’t what I expected at all. For one, the imagery of the poster and trailer makes it seem weirder than it is. Its really a pretty small budget story that resembles more of a family drama than a horror film in some ways. Its not really a bad little story. Its odd, and I’m not really sure what some of the choices served for it, but its well acted and solidly done. The “village makes a sacrifice to a god for prosperity” idea is well treaded area in horror so I’m not terribly upset that it didn’t explore that more and instead focused mainly on the people. I don’t feel like I missed out on much. But in the end I’m not sure there was much to it. And I’m struggling a lot to even finish this paragraph at a decent length.

Uhh… A good chunk of the cast was in The Woman and an interview with them makes it sound like the director just stalked them at a horror film festival and got them into his film. The writer/director apparently never did anything else after this. Or really before. That seems very odd. His only other IMDB credits are a short film 2 years earlier, and an acting and small crew part in 1998. Its very odd. I ended up going to his LinkedIn and he says he’s been in real estate and sales for a decade. Its like this guy made one quick bid at Hollywood, failed, hung it up and did his life, and then just went and made a pretty solid little movie with actual actors and everything. I don’t get it at all. His twitter lists him as a horror writer and director though like this is what he really wants to do and its actually pretty active with exclusively horror tweets with some fairly deep cut stuff. Like he mourns the death of the editor of Day of the Dead. Its actually mostly just horror people’s deaths and birthdays. I can’t figure if this guy is the ultimate horror fanboy or if he’s a guy who just has some deep inside personal connection to the industry who just managed to make one decent little film. Either way it kind of elevates the film in my eyes a bit since he seems to basically be an amateur.

Ok, that feels padded out enough and I’ve cyber stalked this guy more than I’m comfortable with.

September Tally - New (Total)
1 (1). A Cure For Wellness (2016) / - (2). Slither (2006) / 2 (3). Castle Rock (2018) / - (4). The Forsaken (2001) / 3 (5). The Night Eats the World (2018) / 4 (6). The Girl With All The Gifts (2016) / 5 (7). The Voices (2014) / 6 (8). Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010) / 7 (9). Jug Face (2013)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

51- Comedy of Terrors 1963

This one's a favorite with my family. All I have to do is quote a line from it and my Dad's laughing his rear end off.

In short, it's a morbid rendition of Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors. We have a cost cutting undertaker trying to turn a profit while drinking away what he makes, the wife who's his business partner's daughter who thinks she's got a future in opera but can't sing to save her rear end, his business partner who's pretty much senile, and his assistant who's in love with his wife. Vincent Price really pulls it off in this one with his reactions to everything around him.

This one's definitely a fave just for all the memories of watching this with family.

52- Island of Terror 1966

Here we have a true rarity, not only is it an older film I've never seen before, it's also from a Hammer clone studio I've never heard of before. I swear, this is the sort of rare that makes one want to buy a Lotto ticket.

If it wasn't for the Planet Film Productions mention in the opening credits, I would've sworn this was one of Hammer's horror/sci-fi entries. We have Terence Fisher directing and Peter Cushing starring in this! I want to kick myself for not knowing about this film sooner.

Movie's set on Petrie's Island, a remote spot east of Ireland. It's so remote they have no phones and only a boat making it out once a week. Right off the bat we're shown something's majorly wrong when a farmer goes to investigate a cave only to get grabbed by a something. We hear his screams followed by a slow, thick, slurping sound.

When his body's found, it's intact but his bones have been completely dissolved. The local constables and doctor know right off whatever happened is way out of thier league and send in for experts. When they arrive they go visit with some oncologists conducting cancer research only to find them dead and boneless too.

God I want to tell more of the plot but I don't want to spoil it for anyone else who's never heard of this one before.

It's pretty good and a shame it doesn't seem too well known.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #3: Hometown Horror :siren:

This is gonna be a harder one, but there's plenty of time to find one that applies.

:ghost: Watch a film that takes place in the state* you currently live in

or

:ghost: Watch a film that was filmed in the state you currently live in.

Bonus points if you can find a film that takes place in the city you live in, but don't feel pressured to get specific with sharing your personal details if that makes you uncomfortable.

Deadline on this is also November 1st.

*province for non-USA goons

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 26, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Don't make me watch Carmina just to complete a challenge.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don’t have one in mind, but can you fill multiple challenges with one movie?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

graventy posted:

I don’t have one in mind, but can you fill multiple challenges with one movie?

Good question.

No. The Fran challenges are for added difficulty, so only one challenge can be fulfilled by one movie.

I'll add this to the FAQs in the 2nd OP post.

I also add links to the challenges there for quick reference, for those that may have missed that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I guess I'm watching The Blair Witch Project.

Film in Maryland is pretty lame outside of John Waters.

Edit: Apparently Waters filmed Serial Mom in the Baltimore area! I've never seen it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

Edit: Apparently Waters filmed Serial Mom in the Baltimore area! I've never seen it.

:hfive: Maryland buddy

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Serial Mom is great and the most approachable Waters film I've seen.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I'm in NY so that's a pretty easy challenge for me, but there is a local production company in my city called SRS Cinema that makes low budget indie films, so I will try to watch one of theirs. I've seen a couple of their older DTV releases and they are really bad - with titles like SexSquatch or Return to Blood Fart Lake - but supposedly their newer ones from a different writer/director are actually half decent. At least, they were screened at some indie film festivals and got some good press from Fangoria/Rue Morgue. I'm not expecting much but I like supporting indie horror, plus I sort of know one of the lead actresses and the guy who runs the studio and has written and directed their newer stuff so I feel like I should at least give them a shot.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
5. Devil Fetus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0qPwrxLULQ
Wizardry fail, but movie success. It's just as dumb as you would expect from the clip, it's crazy, it's sincere, I love it. Thanks for whoever found this gem, it's on youtube so go see it.

Previously watched:
Creepshow II
Monster Squad
Mandy
Shock

SMP
May 5, 2009

Don't make me rewatch What Lies Beneath just to complete a challenge

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #3: Hometown Horror

Time to track down a copy of In the Mouth of Madness! :krakentoot:

I'd consider Thinner but meh. A Rhode Island native coworker is quitting/moving at the end of the year so opting for the one set in Mew Hampshire while based of some Rhode Island fuckhead's stories. Will hot mull a Narragansett while I watch just because.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

This is gonna be a harder one, but there's plenty of time to find one that applies.

or

:ghost: Watch a film that was filmed in the state you currently live in.

Bonus points if you can find a film that takes place in the city you live in, but don't feel pressured to get specific with sharing your personal details if that makes you uncomfortable.

Deadline on this is also November 1st.

*province for non-USA goons

Dammit, I already watched (and in one case, was in) the two films that were filmed in my actual hometown!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Same, the one movie actually filmed entirely in my town is actually a horror movie, "The Carrier" (1988) and I watched it like, 15 years ago...

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Last Shift was filmed in Florida. Sanford, even, I think.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Narzack posted:

Last Shift was filmed in Florida. Sanford, even, I think.

Oh hey, yes it was! I'll add it to my list, since that's just 4 or so miles from me.

Looks like the director also did Cassadaga, which I've already seen. Despite the name, it was mostly filmed in Longwood and Sanford.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Funhouse, Day of the Dead and Eaten Alive also take place in FL.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Minnesota seems pretty limited to basically just Jennifer's Body, but I might take a chance on Axe Giant: The Wrath of Paul Bunyan.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
That challenge is a good reason for me to finally watch Carnival of Souls.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Frankenstein Created Woman(1967)

This would not turn out to be the last Hammer/Cushing/Fisher Frankenstein film, but for me it's the culmination of everything that makes the series great. It proves beyond all doubt that these movies were never about the monster, here we have perhaps the best entry in the entire series and the traditional Monster is nowhere to be found.

Cushing is at the top of the top-tier of arrogant assholes in film history, and this is him in his prime. The best part about him in Frankenstein Created Woman is that he only has a few rare moments of outward hostility towards anyone, he gets what he wants though by being the smartest rear end in a top hat in the room. There is no one he won't talk poo poo to; officers of the court, dangerous gangs, townspeople literally threatening to burn down his home, he gives no fucks and is laser focused on his goals.

I won't go into the specifics of how twisted Frankenstein's "plans" are in this movie, but they are so amoral and insane that you can't help but laugh as each domino falls into place in the most damaging way possible(to everyone except Frankenstein of course). And then after all of that damage done, all of those lives ruined, the ending basically has Frankenstein shrugging his shoulders and moving on to the next thing. Brutal.

Make sure if you get into Hammer Frankenstein at all, you don't miss out on this movie. I say skip a few of the earlier sequels of necessary.

Total: 1. Frankenstein(1931) 2. The Old Dark House(1932) 3. The Bride of Frankenstein(1935) 4. The Mummy(1932) 5. The Invisible Man(1933) 6. The Wolfman(1941) 7. House of Frankenstein(1944) 8. House of Dracula(1945) 9. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein(1948) 10. The Boogeyman Will Get You(1942) 11. The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms(1953) 12.Gojira(1954) 13. Creature From the Black Lagoon(1954) 14. The Night of the Hunter(1955) 15. The Curse of Frankenstein(1957) 16. Brides of Dracula(1960) 17. The Tomb of Ligeia(1964) 18. Blood and Black Lace(1964) 19. Frankenstein Created Woman(1967)

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

Cushing is at the top of the top-tier of arrogant assholes in film history, and this is him in his prime. The best part about him in Frankenstein Created Woman is that he only has a few rare moments of outward hostility towards anyone, he gets what he wants though by being the smartest rear end in a top hat in the room. There is no one he won't talk poo poo to; officers of the court, dangerous gangs, townspeople literally threatening to burn down his home, he gives no fucks and is laser focused on his goals.

Yeah he's great in this one, he's such an arrogant dick and it rules

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Franchescanado posted:

poo poo, that'll be easy for me considering what's coming to theaters next month and I live in Illinois :v:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
12. Prom Night (1980)

Prom Night is a pretty strange slasher. It doesn’t seem as concerned with scaring the audience as it is for disco music, disco dancing and teen drama. Outside of the inciting incident no one dies for something like an hour. I’m also confused by the character of Slick. He’s pudgy, dorky and a little sleazy but his interactions with Kelly seem so genuine, and the actors have such a weird chemistry, that you can’t help but like them. Am I supposed to feel sad or laugh when they get killed (killed, then exploded)? Also why in the hell is Jamie Lee Curtis dancing with her principle-father at her senior prom? There’s some gory payoffs at the end though, and for me the weirdness is part of the film’s charm. I can see why it’s a cult favorite.

3.5/5

Movies seen: 1. Terrifier | 2. A Nightmare on Elm Street | 3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge | 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors | 5. Scream | 6. Mandy | 7. November | 8. Salem's Lot | 9. The Resurrected | 10. Demon House| 11. Pumpkinhead | 12. Prom Night

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I didn't plan it but I ended up having a death by spores double feature.

16. The X From Outer Space (1967)

This silly monster movie is boosted to enjoyable levels by a few interesting things. The multi-cultural cast makes it sort of feel like an episode of Star Trek. The idea of explorers bringing back something unknown, alien spores in this case, that turn out to be a hyper destructive force is always intriguing to me. A monster grows from the spores resulting in the kinda cute Guilala that acts like a child throwing a tantrum bull rushing through everything to get to any energy source it can find.

The music in the film was baffling, ranging from goofy to super eerie, but then they just keep repeating the same short looping song over and over whenever the monster appears. I was ready to praise the music and then that song just kept drilling a hole into my head.

I have a theory that this movie is a metaphor for sexual frustration but I only have a few pieces of evidence and need to think about it more.

17. Matango (1963)

Matango is a bleak and atmospheric horror film from Ishirô Honda, that like a few of his other films asks the audience some tough questions. It's doesn't seem to be too worried about answering these questions, rather it just makes you think about them. In particular I found one of the common threads to be human desire and the effects succumbing to it can have on ourselves and those around us.

It's a story about a group of friends and a couple hired hands getting shipwrecked and trying to survive. Their psychological fortitude is tested as they run out of food on an eerie island lush with dangerous mushrooms and not much else to eat.

My only gripe is the motivations of some of the characters were downright baffling and ultimately their characters "switch" flipped way too abruptly. One character in particular, who seemed like the anchor of the entire group lost all of his strong attributes from one scene to the next.

I highly recommend this movie if you go in not expecting "Attack of the Mushroom People" and are on board for a somewhat slower psychological horror film.

CRAYON fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 26, 2018

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Franchescanado posted:

This is a loving awesome challenge and it makes me want to complete all the challenges now. I live in Kansas so this is gonna be interesting. (e: man, most movies filmed in the KC area are filmed in Missouri :( )

Do the challenges need to be completed in order?

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 26, 2018

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh hey, yes it was! I'll add it to my list, since that's just 4 or so miles from me.

Looks like the director also did Cassadaga, which I've already seen. Despite the name, it was mostly filmed in Longwood and Sanford.

I thought it was pretty good. An episode of Bar Rescue was shot here, too, but that's not horror.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Narzack posted:

I thought it was pretty good. An episode of Bar Rescue was shot here, too, but that's not horror.

Have you seen some of those bar kitchens?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

Do the challenges need to be completed in order?

Nope! Tackle them in any order.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

This is a loving awesome challenge and it makes me want to complete all the challenges now. I live in Kansas so this is gonna be interesting. (e: man, most movies filmed in the KC area are filmed in Missouri :( )

Carnival of Souls is what I’m going with. I actually had no idea it was filmed in Lawrence until I googled it.

edit: also I find it hard to believe that KCMO wouldn’t count if you live on the kansas side. I mean its the same city.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 26, 2018

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
13. Poltergeist (2015)

I enjoyed the original a lot, which probably instantly puts me on edge when you tell me there's a reboot. Why remake a classic? Why indeed.

In many ways it is like the original movie only with cool updated technology. We have a giant flatscreen TV now, which...still shows static, for some reason, and iPhones which also hilariously static up. We also have a drone, presumably so the director could expense a drone to work and now own a cool drone.

They take a movie that was mostly about a mother (and father) and their love for their youngest daughter, and turn it into a movie that's more concerned with making the boy not be such a wimp. Plus the boy doesn't even get almost eaten by a tree! He just gets roughed up a little bit. Boooo. The cemetery reveal was creepier and better handled in the original too.
:spooky:.5/5

14. Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (1988)

I have no real connection to Elvira. I was vaguely familiar with her as a character, but otherwise completely ignorant. But, someone mentioned it was the 30th Anniversary, so, why not?

Elvira is a TV presenter in LA who receives an inheritance from an aunt. She quits and heads to New England immediately, hoping to leave with a pile of cash, but the inheritance is a spooky house and dog and spellbook. But the aptly named town of Fallwell and their Morality Committee do not appreciate her free-wheeling ways of cleavage and innuendo.

It was a pretty fun and light movie, largely about female empowerment and being yourself. She gets groped and manhandled pretty frequently, but always gets revenge in some fashion. I feel like she might have an easier time with people if she didn't interpret everything that was said sexually, but, then I guess she wouldn't be Elvira, would she?

For some added hilarity the subtitles I used for the movie seemed to have been translated back and forth between a few different languages. According to them, I watched Elvira, Lady in the dark.
:spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

15. Too Macabre: The Making of Elvira Mistress of the Dark (2018)
Disappointingly shallow documentary about the making of the film. They talk to all the principal actors (who are still alive) which was nice, but none of them had a lot to say beyond 1. it was fun to do and 2. the release timing was terrible and killed the film.

It did clue me in a bit to the widespread popularity of the character, though.
:spooky:/5

16. Dave Made a Maze (2017)

When Annie, Dave's girlfriend, returns home after a weekend away she finds that Dave has built a cardboard maze, and that Dave is trapped inside of it, and that it's too dangerous for others to enter. Because he is an "artist", or perhaps because this is kind of an affected movie, she does not question this, but rather invites over his best friend, who in turn invites more people. Eventually Annie grows frustrated with the situation and ventures into the maze and soon realizes the danger is all to real.

It's neat. It's a neat movie with some pretty impressive cardboard creations and I enjoyed the artistry, though I was frequently rolling my eyes at the characters. Particularly Dave. Pull it together Dave. And occasionally, the plot: of course they eventually turn into cardboard. Of course they do. I like books and movies where spaces can't be trusted, ala House of Leaves, but I think this was too twee for me overall.
:spooky::spooky:/5

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

9. Nightmares in Red, White and Blue (2007)

Not really a whole lot to say about this one. A pretty paint-by-numbers catalog of American horror films with some basic observations on why American audiences like horror movies. Predictably, the best parts of it were interviews with John Carpenter. I always like hearing what that guy has to say. Lance Henriksen has a great narrator voice.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lumbermouth posted:

9. Nightmares in Red, White and Blue (2007)

Not really a whole lot to say about this one. A pretty paint-by-numbers catalog of American horror films with some basic observations on why American audiences like horror movies. Predictably, the best parts of it were interviews with John Carpenter. I always like hearing what that guy has to say. Lance Henriksen has a great narrator voice.

I saw this when it first showed up in video stores in 2007(that was the tail end of my time working at a Blockbuster Video), and I like going back to it every few years just to see how much my horror knowledge and experience has really expanded since 2007. When I first saw it there were a bunch of movies it mentions that I hadn't seen, now not so much.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Basebf555 posted:

I saw this when it first showed up in video stores in 2007(that was the tail end of my time working at a Blockbuster Video), and I like going back to it every few years just to see how much my horror knowledge and experience has really expanded since 2007. When I first saw it there were a bunch of movies it mentions that I hadn't seen, now not so much.

If anything, it really made me watch to watch Roger Corman's acid movie.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Can we combine Fran challenges? Because I didn’t like a movie that was filmed in my old home town.

Also is it ok if I don’t live in a state you America-centric imperialists? :arghfist::canada:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Retro Futurist posted:

Can we combine Fran challenges? Because I didn’t like a movie that was filmed in my old home town.

Also is it ok if I don’t live in a state you America-centric imperialists? :arghfist::canada:

I answered this on this very page. No, you can't combine films.

And I already updated the post to include provinces right after Lurdiak responded.

smilingpear
Aug 11, 2009

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Basebf555 posted:

COOL CORN posted:

:hfive: Maryland buddy

Samesies! Excited to tackle these challenges soon. For this one I'll prob end up re-watching WNUF Halloween Special, made by a friend of a friend (such is life in Smalltimore).

Finished up my Chucky movies with a double feature last night:

8. Curse of Chucky

Wow, what a tonal shift from the last two movies! I'm a pretty vanilla horror fan--give me a big spooky house and some scares and I'm happy as a clam. This worked for me pretty well. Nica was such a great horror heroine, and one of the only main characters in a horror movie I can think of who's in a wheelchair. I liked that it both helped increase her vulnerability but also worked in her favor with the axe attack. I recognized the actress from True Blood but had no idea she was Brad Dourif's daughter till I googled her after watching this one and that's a lot of fun. I definitely prefer the vibe of this one to the vibe of Seed of Chucky, and I do like that even though it's a soft reboot of the series, the stuff from the previous movies still all took place. The Jennifer Tilly cameo at the end made me so happy! The Netflix versions of this movie & the next don't include the after-credits scenes, which I only found out about after finishing them both, so that's kind of annoying. The effects on Chucky were kind of wonky (his lips especially weirded me out) but overall this one worked for me!

9. Cult of Chucky

I...really, really enjoyed this one, way more than I thought I would. It went balls to the wall in the best way, imo. I liked all the characters in the mental institution, and the idea of being wrongly institutionalized is one of those big fear triggers for me so that already worked in getting me invested. It wasn't quite as much of a straight-up creepfest as the movie before, but not quite as goofy as some of the ones before that--I liked the balance! Some of the shots in this one were really pretty, and I liked the look of the super white/gray asylum with Chucky being the only pop of color. Grown-up Andy being played by the actual original Andy actor was a great surprise! Some of the kills in this one and Curse made me cover my eyes because I'm a weenie, but I liked that they brought back the glass ceiling kill from Bride of Chucky. That guy knows what he likes! The effects on Chucky were better this time around, and the plot kept me guessing for a bit about what was actually going on. I'd be all in for a movie that's just Fiona Dourif-Chucky and Jennifer Tilly-Tiffany makin' out and doin' crimes. This one is probably the one I enjoyed watching most since Child's Play 2.

That concludes the Great Chucky Watch of '18. I'm interested to see where the series goes from here (and there's an actual reboot coming out sometime soon?) but I'm definitely ready to take a break from this murderous lil rear end in a top hat.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
12. Psycho - After my horror double-feature of Jamie Lee Curtis, I decided to check out a horror movie her mom was in. And hey. It's pretty good.

It's worth noting that Norman Bates' mother says "fruit cellar" the same way that Ted Raimi does in Evil Dead 2.

13.Psycho II - I'd heard this was pretty good, but the opening which re-used the shower sequence from the first movie prepared me for the worst. But despite that misstep, this is pretty good! Verging on great. It makes great use of many of the now familiar motifs from the original. Iconic imagery is utilized not for mere shock value or to repeat what was done before but is instead reinterpreted. New meaning is given and the old meaning is played with to destabilize expectations.

Richard Franklin's direction is quite good, even if it lacks some of the precision of Hitchcock. I haven't see much of his other movies (besides Patrick), but I'm curious in checking some of them out now.

14. Psycho III - A bit of a letdown from Psycho II. It lacks the suspense and mystery of the first two movies (although I guess there isn't too much of that with the original anymore), but it is interesting to see this series turn into a mostly straight-forward slasher.

There's compelling ideas presenting in Psycho III, but very little is done with them. Norman's confused masculinity is contrasted against Jeff Fahey's loathsome behavior. Redemption through faith (particularly in Catholicism) is indicated with the good mother of the virgin Mary compared to Norman's. Norman even strikes up a romantic relationship with a young woman who looks oddly similar to Marion Crane. But nothing much happens with any of that. These concepts are brought out and swept away fairly quickly.

I really want to like this one, but it gives me such a feeling of "Is that all?"

15. Psycho IV: The Beginning - Ugh. The drama in this one is totally inert. There's two different storylines going on, one in the present and one in the past. In the plot in the present, almost every character is in a different location and only communicates with one another on the phone. Because of this one actually interacts with one another, which make these bits feels aimless. Norman threatens that he might do something in the future – which I think was meant to give these segments a sense of urgency – but they just feel like a lazy way to make this a sequel to the previous movies instead of just a prequel.

The flashbacks also feel pointless as nothing unexpected happens. There are no revelations about Norman's past. No assumptions are upended. Everything happens about the same way you'd expect. Norman's mom abuses his him and then he kills her eventually. It's awful. Olivia Hussey isn't bad as Norman's mom, but her accent feels strange compared with the Mrs. Bates voice used in these movies.

Also, John Landis plays a radio producer, and in one point he gets yelled at about getting people killed for the sake of ratings. He says he thinks this is okay. Psycho IV was made 7 years after the Twilight Zone movie. :stare:

16. Psycho (1998) - It's kind of difficult to talk about this moie, as unlike most remakes, it can't be approached as its own film. But this is approaching under its own terms. It invites the viewer to compare it to the original. It invites you to question what's different. It invites you to question why those changes affect how you feel about what you're seeing. How they change your perspective. The use of color itself changes everything. Scenes emphasize different aspects because of it. And that's one of the tiniest, simple, most cosmetic alterations. But it changes everything.

Best watched in tandem with the original. This is a film about the creation of art.

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #2: Queer Horror :siren:

It's also worth considering this film within the context of who made it. Gus van Sant plays around with the heteronormative elements in the original film in some subtle and not-so-subtle ways. The straight Janet Leigh has been replaced with the openly bisexual Anne Heche. The closeted-bisexual Anthony Perkins has been replaced with the straight Vince Vaughn. Sam Loomis's bare butt is seen instead of Marion Crane's bare breasts like Hitchcock had wanted. Norman now masturbates as he watches Marion, which places the viewer outside of his voyeuristic perspective. Instead of aligning the audience with heterosexuality, they are now watching a heterosexual man.

There's probably even more to this element that I didn't pick up on my first viewing. But it's really fascinating how much van Sant's able to change the context of what is being seen without really changing much within the shots themselves.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

10. The Nude Vampire (1970, Jean Rollin)

Jean Rollin's great asset is his ability to take ultra low budget schlock and, through stylistic adeptness, elevate it to something much more respectable. I don't see Criterion releasing them or anything, but his films are definitely working on a higher level than most others of their ilk. If you've seen any Jean Rollin before you'll know what you're in for with The Nude Vampire. It's a bare bones plot punctuated by two important trademarks: a haunting ethereal atmosphere, and lots of beautiful naked women. Here, as in all of his other films I've seen, he's much more interested in letting his camera gaze at a gorgeous woman in sheer clothing walking down a hallway than he is on pushing a narrative. In conjunction with a languid pace and a great minimalist score, it creates a wonderful dreamlike vibe that totally works.

(3.5 creepy suicide cult masks out of 5)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Almost Blue posted:

13.Psycho II - I'd heard this was pretty good, but the opening which re-used the shower sequence from the first movie prepared me for the worst. But despite that misstep, this is pretty good! Verging on great. It makes great use of many of the now familiar motifs from the original. Iconic imagery is utilized not for mere shock value or to repeat what was done before but is instead reinterpreted. New meaning is given and the old meaning is played with to destabilize expectations.

I watched this in May and really enjoyed it a lot, much moreso than I was expecting. Now that I think about it, I should've chosen it as my staff pick. More people need to discover it because imo Perkins is every bit as good in this as he was in the original, and obviously that's really saying something.

• Locked thread