Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The early levels were seriously unnerving if you'd been there, yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4prBVnAut90

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So did you bring the GEP gun or crossbow

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Seventh Arrow posted:

I had a tiny 1oz flask with barely a tot of rum in my rucksack, and was made to pour it out by the airport style security. Actual airport security have never been bothered by it, but this tiny thing wasn’t allowed. So, any weapons were probably out of the question.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

should have brought pepper spray instead. Ah well, a fire extinguisher does the same trick in a jam.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

I had a tiny 1oz flask with barely a tot of rum in my rucksack, and was made to pour it out by the airport style security. Actual airport security have never been bothered by it, but this tiny thing wasn’t allowed. So, any weapons were probably out of the question.

I accidentally brought a pocket knife with me the last time I went to Ellis Island on the ferry from Battery Park. I didn't want to trash it so I hid it in a nook in Castle Clinton that it is the game. The knife was there when I got back hours later.

That was the day I never took off my sunglasses again.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Seventh Arrow posted:

A GEP gun takedown is always the most silent takedown

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If no one's alive to hear you, did you make a sound?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

If no one's alive to hear you, did you make a sound?

Survey says:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnfDxP-nD-g

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I accidentally brought a pocket knife with me the last time I went to Ellis Island on the ferry from Battery Park. I didn't want to trash it so I hid it in a nook in Castle Clinton that it is the game. The knife was there when I got back hours later.

That was the day I never took off my sunglasses again.

I used to eat my lunch at battery park most every day when I lived in the city. It’s kind of crazy how well they captured the feel of it, even when it’s not a 1:1 recreation.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I used to eat my lunch at battery park most every day when I lived in the city. It’s kind of crazy how well they captured the feel of it, even when it’s not a 1:1 recreation.

Did you ever take the vial of Zyme off the eagle statue?

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
I'm using Kentie's launcher and playing at 3440x1440 (or something along those lines, ultra wide screen). Objects in the game are being cut off when the lie on something. E.g. a piece of paper on a table only has half of it visible depending on what angle you look from :( e.g. the soldier lying down during tutorial is partially cut off. Is this a known issue or am I missing some obvious setting?

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 16, 2018

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's probably the engine frustum culling the objects. I doubt it's something you can do anything about.

Edit: I just reread it, frustum culling would make the entire object disappear. Is this happening when objects are towards the middle of the screen or just off to the side? A screenshot would help.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I'm starting up GMDX after only paying vanilla millions of time, any first timer tips or stuff I need to train myself out of?

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
You should stick with the prod.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

moot the hopple posted:

I'm starting up GMDX after only paying vanilla millions of time, any first timer tips or stuff I need to train myself out of?

Get the strength aug and you can "dispose" of bodies by chucking them at stuff so hard they explode.

That's all I remember but it's definitely very important to do (because it's cool)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

moot the hopple posted:

The Dragon's Tooth can't be used to break most doors anymore. If I remember correctly the damage it does was spread across 3 hits so even with really good hand to hand and combat strength it will fail the door break check.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah, it's super lame.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
What a shame

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

KillHour posted:

It's probably the engine frustum culling the objects. I doubt it's something you can do anything about.

Edit: I just reread it, frustum culling would make the entire object disappear. Is this happening when objects are towards the middle of the screen or just off to the side? A screenshot would help.

There you go, not sure what that's about. Maybe my resolution is too high, I'll try bumping it down.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The only reason i put up with Biomod lame-ifying the DT sword is that the REAL universal lockpick is the GEP gun.

If playing vanilla though, definitely go melee.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
If you want to try something new, using only rifles when you can was way more fun then I thought it would be. The sawed-off is actually very accurate and gets a ton of headshots. The assault shotgun after that is even better,

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Shotguns cease to be shotguns at Master rifle skill and all the pellets land at the center of the reticle

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Also, sabot rounds are super underrated. They kill robots and doors very effectively.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

KillHour posted:

DreadCthulhu posted:

I'm using Kentie's launcher and playing at 3440x1440 (or something along those lines, ultra wide screen). Objects in the game are being cut off when the lie on something. E.g. a piece of paper on a table only has half of it visible depending on what angle you look from :( e.g. the soldier lying down during tutorial is partially cut off. Is this a known issue or am I missing some obvious setting?

I play in 21x9 Ultrawide with no issues, but at 2560x1080. maybe lowering the res to that, or switching to DX9 or 10 thru the launcher, whichever is a different one to what you’re currently using.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

GMDX was still a good experience. Because it nueters the DT I was forced to not rely on it nearly as much in the late game, and to be honest when you have a heavily upgraded JC with the DT it kind of feels like cheating. The gunplay is vastly improved so the game actually feels like an FPS, so it's not a horrible slog.

One thing I don't like is that it sends a couple of UNATCO guys to Paul's apartment to assist the MIBs. I feel bad about killing them but couldn't manage to take them down non-lethally in any sort of consistent way with Paul and the MIBs shooting everywhere, and the latter exploding upon death.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

There are always some troopers with the MIBs at the assault on the 'ton and Paul, but my experience has varied whether or not they will assault the door.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
Just teargas everyone and prod the MIBs. They don't blow up if they're knocked out.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

John_A_Tallon posted:

Just teargas everyone and prod the MIBs. They don't blow up if they're knocked out.

Counterargument:

Caedite eos.

Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Knock them out, and then carry them outside, and then throw them at a wall to make them explode.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
The game gives you WP rockets for gep gun around this time for a reason. Set tear gas wall mines around the door and stairwell, on end of cutscene throw two more from the door to lower floor and fire 3-4 WP rockets. Shake and bake baby.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

DreadCthulhu posted:

There you go, not sure what that's about. Maybe my resolution is too high, I'll try bumping it down.

Been a while since I've done any graphics programming, but it looks like this is because the resolution is too high. Basically the height value for the objects there is now in the rounding error due to the high resolution, so it's having trouble figuring out whether the guns or the table are on top.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-fighting

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Are you running at 16 bit color depth? Switching to 32 bit MIGHT force the engine to render the depth buffer in 32 bit, fixing the FP errors. Alternatively, there might be a config in an ini file for it somewhere - UE has a ton of tweakable stuff like that.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Anyone have experience with GMDX's weapons? I'm wondering what to spec into and how things match up to the vanilla game/Shifter. I slapped my head after dumping tons of mods into the Stealth Pistol to find A) it's not like Shifter's Stealth Pistol and B) you can just silence the 10mm now :geno:

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 26, 2018

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Anyone have experience with GMDX's weapons? I'm wondering what to spec into and how things match up to the vanilla game/Shifter. I slapped my head after dumping tons of mods into the Stealth Pistol to find A) it's not like Shifter's Stealth Pistol and B) you can just silence the 10mm now :geno:
There's that, and there's not being able to rely on the Dragon's Tooth to break the game later on. You can't break open all doors with it, even with hand to hand upgraded all the way. That's all I can think of.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I used the baton for most of the game.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Squeenix has said DX is getting more games. It may be a while, but hell, it was five years between HR and MD.
How will they do this, I wonder? They've already done mech augs->nanoaugs->weird posthuman stuff. What's left to explore?

Also the timeline is getting uncomfortably compressed by this point. HR takes place in what, 2027? That's nine years from now and somehow I doubt we'll have anti-gravity implants and carbon-nanotube arm swords by then. OK, it's a fictional universe, and ~~MY IMMERSION~~ and stuff :spergin:. But even in-universe it only leaves 25ish years to go from mech-augs to nano-augs and that doesn't feel very plausible.

Maybe it'll just be endless reboots. An actually-good take on Infinity War could be fun.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Zephro posted:

How will they do this, I wonder? They've already done mech augs->nanoaugs->weird posthuman stuff. What's left to explore?

Also the timeline is getting uncomfortably compressed by this point. HR takes place in what, 2027? That's nine years from now and somehow I doubt we'll have anti-gravity implants and carbon-nanotube arm swords by then. OK, it's a fictional universe, and ~~MY IMMERSION~~ and stuff :spergin:. But even in-universe it only leaves 25ish years to go from mech-augs to nano-augs and that doesn't feel very plausible.

Maybe it'll just be endless reboots. An actually-good take on Infinity War could be fun.

Blade runner takes place in what,2020? Still no flying cars or replicants.

Just accept the fact the game takes place in a different universe and play on. With that said, there are parallels to where our current society is heading.

Also I’m finally at the Cathedral level in Revision and holy moly I think this is their most drastic change (besides Hell’s Kitchen and the NSF warehouse). The outside of the Cathedral is nothing like the original. It’s definitely prettier, but I’m not sure about the layout since I always play sniper and it seems more claustrophobic.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm surprised they don't just recon IW and do a sequel to DX instead of a prequel. Or even something contemporaneous to the first game. I want to see some of the ideas cut out of the original.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Isn't HR/MD a soft reboot anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The_Doctor posted:

Isn't HR/MD a soft reboot anyway?

Nah, there’s a fair few DX characters doing things that set up where they are in DX (Everett, Manderly, Bob Page, DuClair, etc) that it’s definitely more prequel than soft reboot.