Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

STR posted:

I'm suddenly getting the widespread IT industry hate of printers.

My last wireless printer (an old Samsung laser printer) only had issues if a storm rolled through and the power flickered juuuust right. The printer I had at my last place was a dumper-found USB Canon scanner/printer that generally just worked (when the nozzles didn't get clogged). GF said she had not 1, but 2 modern printers, so I left it with a friend.

Turns out one printer was completely dead. Other is a Windows 7 era Epson inkjet (so drivers are available). That sat in (garage) storage for nearly 2 years. With the ink cartridges installed. Epsons have internal print heads, instead of them being part of the ink cartridge, so you can guess how this goes (it's great if you use it often, ink is so much cheaper... horrible if it sits for a long time). It's a combo scanner/printer as well, but I can't get it to scan in anything except B&W with the Win10 drivers. Which is fine, 99% of my scanning is receipts for work.

Not only is the black print head almost completely clogged, but anytime I turn it off (and GF turns off anything and everything that isn't in active use if she sees it on - I thought my OCD was bad), I have to reinstall the drivers on my PC every time it gets power cycled. (shows "offline" otherwise, despite a static IP)

I need to grab another Samsung laser printer. It could get finicky about paper, but it generally just worked over the 9 years I used it. It was starting to have issues with the pickup rollers when I left Dallas, but it was a $60 printer in 2011 that saw whole-house printing (and also plenty of university dorm printing when I discovered just how many people in my building didn't have printers... I charged 5c/page vs the 10c/page the library charged). It was up to at least 50k pages (nothing for a beast like a Laserjet, but substantial for a consumer grade laser that never saw any maintenance outside of 3rd party toner).

If you don't need color, I recommend getting a Brother printer. They are known to go on sale for ~$50 and dead reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

mariooncrack posted:

If you don't need color, I recommend getting a Brother printer. They are known to go on sale for ~$50 and dead reliable.

Yeah? I need something that won't have a dry ink reservoir if it sits for 6 months. (Looking at you HP :arghfist: ) I'll look into them, just need something for the occasional document.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah, I've got a black only brother laser printer and I've had it for 10 years or more. The toner cartridge refills are expensive ($120) , but I've only bought two during that entire time (and I used to print like crazy as I bought it for a home business and ran it every day for 6 years, E: I think a genuine refill is about 1500+ pages). There's cheaper ones that do about 800-1000 pages though.

I haven't used it much for the last 4 years, but it still works whenever I want. The only problem I have with it now is due to age and infrequent use dust builds up on the rollers so it doesn't grip paper properly. I stripped it down and cleaned everything 5 years ago for this problem and it fixed it then, so if I could be bothered stripping it down and cleaning again I would stop the paper feed problem that happens once in a while.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Sep 26, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

angryrobots posted:

Yeah? I need something that won't have a dry ink reservoir if it sits for 6 months. (Looking at you HP :arghfist: ) I'll look into them, just need something for the occasional document.

B&W laser.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You can pry my Kyocera FS-1030D from my cold. Dead. Hands.

B/W laser, networked with all the silly corporate printing protocols, PostScript driver available in any OS, toner costs $35, and the cartridge contains the rubber rollers, so they get replaced regularly, too.

As long as Ethernet exists, I'll keep using it.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Sep 26, 2018

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Brother lasers are reliable and good.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've had my cheap rear end Canon printer for over five years with no issues :shrug:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

When printers became disposable (ink cartridge is more than the printer costs) I dumped mine and just print poo poo at work or the library. :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I have a xerox laser printer pulled out of an office that has like 12,000 pages on it's current toner cartridge. I got a spare cartridge with it, i'm set for life, printer wise.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Laserjets are forever superior. We have a Samsung Color Laser at the house, always works great.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
i cant remember the last time I've had to print something out at home

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Jumping on the best printer is no printer bandwagon. Realistically, if I NEED to print something, I'm 3 miles from my office. There is no reason to clutter up the house or waste money on something unreliable that I'll use twice a year.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

fridge corn posted:

I use mine for scanning as medical centres and the gov often want me to upload documents. Saves me carrying them or taking them in at the app time.
Also I use it for printing when I've got a new recipe worked out for whatever is in the fridge needs to be used up or based around whatever I like now that's in season or cheap. Print it out and stick on the fridge to prod me to make it.
But really, I use it because I have it and it still works. I wouldn't go out and buy one now or buy more toner for it etc

E: VV My brother laser printer is a MFC scan and fax (probably why the toner is unique and costs more)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 26, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Only disadvantage to the B&W lasers is if you need to scan or god forbid fax things. My wife and I replaced a very functional brother laser with a multifunction small office inkjet for this reason. It's a lot more expensive to run but realistically we don't print that much and probably use the scan function just as much.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have a really nice Brother that my stepdad bought because he suddenly decided to write a book and wanted to print out his manuscript.

Sadly he passed away and mom started giving his stuff away so I got the printer and it came with an extra toner cartridge that I probably won't need for years.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
So, to make sure I can pay for the new car I needed to make a pretty big change...

I was spending 400/m on cigarettes and my monthly for the car is 342.

Today is day 6, after 14 years, and the voice in the back of my head has finally stopped trying to reason with me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

good on ya, it's a tough habit to break

but man oh man it was a long time before $400/mo that i knew it was pissing away money

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Pack a day at 13.50 a pack.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Fermented Tinal posted:

Pack a day at 13.50 a pack.

That's... eyewatering.

Good on you for giving it up, though. I quit a few years back now and it's great. I wasn't near a pack a day, but it's definitely an active choice you have to make to not get up and go burn one. It never really goes away, but it does get easier to ignore that voice.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

fridge corn posted:

Internet order returns, mostly. Occasionally some other legal stuff. I don't work in an office, my wife does but is forgetful when it comes to printing something for me.

I haven't had a printer at home in like 4 years but the few times I needed it, was real drat annoying.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've seen a few people here lament that it was easier to quit heroin than cigarettes.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Mine is a b/w laser printer only. 3 years, original toner... Gonna grab a replacement b/w laser AiO on Black Friday. Want to keep it as compact as possible.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

That's... eyewatering.

The Ontario Liberals love their sin taxes.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I've seen a few people here lament that it was easier to quit heroin than cigarettes.

Anecdotal I know but I found it really easy to quit smoking. Can't compare it to heroin though cuz ive never tried it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fridge corn posted:

Anecdotal I know but I found it really easy to quit smoking. Can't compare it to heroin though cuz ive never tried it

I haven't smoked in almost 20 years (edgy teenager) and even then it was just to look cool around my friends. I thought I was a functional alcoholic but once I started trying to get healthy any need to be drunk all the time went away entirely.

But I'll stab you if you keep me from my coffee.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

STR posted:

Pretty sure nearly every Lexus beyond the first gen ES (which was literally just a tarted up Camry) has auto headlights, but they have an "auto" and "off" position on the switch. They commonly get turned off when being worked on or run through a car wash.

And yeah, the Altima absolutely went to poo poo after the 2nd gen. The 1st and 2nd gen were mechanically decent (aside from the timing chain guides). The 3rd gen and newer aren't built nearly as well. And yes, Nissan is a lot like Mitsubishi when it comes to credit, they tend to attract the low score buyers.

Huh good to know. I've heard that the automatic transmissions on those cars are particularly weak. It's funny how you can just tell the market of a vehicle by the state you see them in on the road. It probably does a lot of damage to the brand honestly. For example I have a friend that had no idea that Infinity was supposed to be a 'luxury' brand. He always assumed that they were markets as cheapo econoboxes for poors just because most of the ones he has seen on the road are falling apart.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Rhyno posted:

I haven't smoked in almost 20 years (edgy teenager) and even then it was just to look cool around my friends. I thought I was a functional alcoholic but once I started trying to get healthy any need to be drunk all the time went away entirely.

But I'll stab you if you keep me from my coffee.

I actually just went back to AA last night! lmao

I was also an edgy teenager and switched to vaping after smoking for a few years. I'm trying to quit but nicotine it's difficult.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Vaping is the literal worst. I think fruity clouds smell worse than regular clouds of smoke.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Edgy teenage smoker here too, I was up to a pack of menthols a day until I joined the Air Force and drove a fuel truck. Smoking was SERIOUSLY frowned upon and we weren't even allowed to carry a lighter. I would also dip at times so i just started dipping tobacco when i had a nic fit and the next thing I knew I wasn't smoking at all anymore, and quitting the dip was pretty easy down the road after that.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Vaping is the literal worst. I think fruity clouds smell worse than regular clouds of smoke.

I don't understand the point. Lots of people I know who vape do it cuz theyre trying to quit smoking but they end up sucking on the end of their vape way more than they ever did smoking. Like lol u just upped your nicotine intake retard

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

vaping also makes you look like a fuckin fedora dweeb

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Rhyno posted:

Ehhh... I mean I only vape outside and away from other people (except sometimes other smokers). I'm sure it smells gross to other people and I act appropriately.

At least I don't smell like a loving ashtray all the time anymore.

fridge corn posted:

I don't understand the point. Lots of people I know who vape do it cuz theyre trying to quit smoking but they end up sucking on the end of their vape way more than they ever did smoking. Like lol u just upped your nicotine intake retard

This is more or less true but at least I'm not inhaling all that tar.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

vaping also makes you look like a fuckin fedora dweeb

Truth.

One of my best friends vapes and he's clearly addicted to it worse than he was cigs. He left it on the counter when we were out and he had small panic attack and you could practically see his heart beating through his shirt.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Does no one have young kids? We have to print scan and copy stuff all the time for their homework. Some mediocre HP all in one, I just bought cartridges for it last month actually, first time in about 2 years. It's lasted 10 years without any issues though so I shouldn't bad mouth it.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I can't stop giggling at 3000 ft/lbs of torque out of a 360ci diesel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UZpKI27KXA

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Rhyno posted:

Truth.

One of my best friends vapes and he's clearly addicted to it worse than he was cigs. He left it on the counter when we were out and he had small panic attack and you could practically see his heart beating through his shirt.

I know a guy that bought a carbon fiber vape because it matched his Miata.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

64bit_Dophins posted:

I know a guy that bought a carbon fiber vape because it matched his Miata.

I hate that guy.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Rhyno posted:

I hate that guy.

Me too! He's the same guy I mentioned earlier in this chat that scammed his grandmother into paying off the $25k he owed on his Veloster Turbo only to sell it at Carmax for $10k and buy a $7k murdered Miata NC with a carbon fiber hood. His grandma paid off the car on the condition that he quit vaping. Next day he rolls up puffing away in a brand new vape he bought to match the Miata.

BTW I didn't ask for this information - he BRAGGED about it.

loving guy can suck poo poo in hell for all I care.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

cakesmith handyman posted:

Does no one have young kids? We have to print scan and copy stuff all the time for their homework...
The school is only 3mi away so I make them walk there and use the schools printer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

64bit_Dophins posted:

Me too! He's the same guy I mentioned earlier in this chat that scammed his grandmother into paying off the $25k he owed on his Veloster Turbo only to sell it at Carmax for $10k and buy a $7k murdered Miata NC with a carbon fiber hood. His grandma paid off the car on the condition that he quit vaping. Next day he rolls up puffing away in a brand new vape he bought to match the Miata.

BTW I didn't ask for this information - he BRAGGED about it.

loving guy can suck poo poo in hell for all I care.

You should hit that guy or maybe spike his food with laxatives.

• Locked thread