Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

shrike82 posted:

Is there any watch or device smaller than an iPhone that plays Spotify?

There’s the jelly pro which is a 3.3” android phone.

tcl is releasing a similar sized phone under the palm brand soon too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

shrike82 posted:

I think the smallest one would be the Samsung gear fit 2 pro. It can run Spotify independently from a phone and stream it to Bluetooth headphones.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

shrike82 posted:

Like streaming or just downloading music to play offline? The Samsung Gear line can I believe do offline downloads, and there's this thing: https://bemighty.com/products/mighty

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Shumagorath posted:

Android 9 finally broke the Band 2 app haha. gently caress Google; what kind of operating system does that with no way to roll back? My next phone was already going to be iOS or Andromeda if that ever materializes but god drat.

It's fairly common for not-updated apps to stop functioning on newer OS's.

And you can roll back your OS on your phone.

Your post is a miasma of wrongness.

Anyway, the Charge3 might meet some peoples needs. Think Charge 2 but you can get notifications from any app, not just text messages. Also can do canned replies to messages.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Blue Train posted:

In the same vein, I'm wondering how these will be once they're released, might get one depending how reviews are

https://www.gizchina.com/2018/07/13/mijia-quartz-watch-released-priced-at-349-yuan-52/

Would like a date display but it's not that serious, hopefully it uses the mi fit app because I already use it for the mi band 2 and it's not bad

I'm still waiting for this to somehow be available in the US, without paying an extra $30-40 on AliExpress or whatever.

I really like hybrids - the features are mostly kind of gimmicky, but the bottom line is you get a nice real watchface that syncs to your phone's time, vibrates when you get a call/text, and has a "find my phone" button. All the rest is kind of worthless.

For the record if you check places like TJ Maxx and the like, they often have Skagen and Fossil hybrids for <$50. I got this bad boy with a metal band for $40

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

64bit_Dophins posted:

So the Pebble Time I purchased has some issues despite being new in box.

I updated the firmware and switch the servers over to rebble.io and since I have the device crashes maybe 3-4 times a day, usually when I get a notification while running another application. Are Pebbles always this buggy? I mean I didn't pay hardly anything for it and I knew what I was getting into when I bought something that's no longer supported but it's still pretty annoying.

Also the battery is only lasting about 2 days max. I'm going to power cycle the device twice and see if this gets any better because the battery readings I'm getting on it don't seem accurate.

Outside of these issues though I really like the Pebble. It's a shame the company went out the way it did. I imagine that they just simply didn't sell as many of them as they had anticipated and had too many different models. Looking at the current smartwatch options, I can't really imagine getting an Android Wear device or an Apple watch now. I can't imagine what it must be like barely getting a day out of a WATCH BATTERY, let alone not being able to read it in direct sunlight.

I wore a Pebble almost non stop for years (first a Pebble 1 then a Pebble Time Steel). I recently went back to a regular old watch as I wasnt sure how the services shutdown would go, plus I didn't want to pay for the rebble services. I wonder if maybe your NIB Pebble wasn't really NIB, but a refurb. I got 6-7 days easy on my PTS and usually another day out of my P1. I can remember maybe 3 random reboots in all that time. I had more trouble with the app staying connected at times. No reason I could ever figure out, sometimes it just wouldnt connect, restart the phone a few times and it would be back. When they first announced that Pebble got bought out and the services were ending like 18 months ago, I bought an android wear watch and hated it. When we had about 6 months before the shutdown, I again gave android wear another try, not hating it as much, but ended up going back to the Pebble. In June, I just decided that I wasn't gonna find another smartwatch I'd enjoy nearly as much as my Pebbles and went back to mechanical watches. I'd like to see what fitbit does with the IP they got from Pebble. The Versa is supposed to be the first watch they build with Pebble DNA but I don't like the looks and from what I understand it isn't compatible with non-Fitbit watchbands.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

shrike82 posted:

I had an Android Wear watch that could stream Spotify via wifi or LTE (I never activated LTE on mine). I don't know about offline downloads, but i could do offline downloads from Google Play Music, although you only had less than 4gb of space availible.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

uli2000 posted:

I wore a Pebble almost non stop for years (first a Pebble 1 then a Pebble Time Steel). I recently went back to a regular old watch as I wasnt sure how the services shutdown would go, plus I didn't want to pay for the rebble services. I wonder if maybe your NIB Pebble wasn't really NIB, but a refurb. I got 6-7 days easy on my PTS and usually another day out of my P1. I can remember maybe 3 random reboots in all that time. I had more trouble with the app staying connected at times. No reason I could ever figure out, sometimes it just wouldnt connect, restart the phone a few times and it would be back. When they first announced that Pebble got bought out and the services were ending like 18 months ago, I bought an android wear watch and hated it. When we had about 6 months before the shutdown, I again gave android wear another try, not hating it as much, but ended up going back to the Pebble. In June, I just decided that I wasn't gonna find another smartwatch I'd enjoy nearly as much as my Pebbles and went back to mechanical watches. I'd like to see what fitbit does with the IP they got from Pebble. The Versa is supposed to be the first watch they build with Pebble DNA but I don't like the looks and from what I understand it isn't compatible with non-Fitbit watchbands.

I'm getting about 3-4 days out of it now that I brought the battery down to 0% and back to 100% two or three times. It still crashed but not nearly as much now for whatever reason.

Anyways I do suspect that this is a refurb but it was cheap enough for me not to care much about it.

Anyways the rebble services are great and it's free unless you want to do the dictation stuff. As far as I know that's the only feature that they make you pay for everything else is free. I never use dictation software so I don't care. It's also dead simple to switch it over to their servers and the most recent version of the pebble is designed to help you make the server switch.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Are there any inexpensive smart bands that sync with google Fit. The recent update went whole hog on needing heart rate monitoring and I'm debating becoming the product and finally turn on all active tracking.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

MC Hawking posted:

Are there any inexpensive smart bands that sync with google Fit. The recent update went whole hog on needing heart rate monitoring and I'm debating becoming the product and finally turn on all active tracking.

Huawei Band 2 Pro
Mi Band 2 (or probably the soon-to-be-released Mi Band 3)

That's the only fitness band things I could find compatible with Fit at all.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

If you already have a fitbit, I did just find this app that keeps your fitbit data synced to Google Fit.

It can do it automatically every hour, every day, or on demand. Seems to be working fine for me.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Hey guys, I just got a Fitbit Charge 2 through work. Badly timed with the soon-to-come Charge 3. Anyway, is there anything really cool I should know about this thing or it's pretty self explanatory?

Would you all return the Charge 2 and wait for the 3? Touchscreen would be nice.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 10, 2018

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Return it, the wristband is utter shite and the 3 is supposed to be a fix. I’ve known people return them to Fitbit for no questions asked swaps four times and counting.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I like my Charge 2, but I would definitely not get one right now.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I bought my wife a Fitbit versa at the start of August, and on a trip through SE Asia she picked up a huawei nova 3i for cheap.

Only, the two don’t seem to be playing ball together. Is there anything I can do to make them play nice? Or am I SOL, and need to find a new smart thing?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Has anyone made an effortpost on Garmin vs Fitbit? I'm looking at the Vivosmart 4 vs the Charge 3. Price and features are close enough. I think the Fitbit is better looking, but Garmin's ecosystem and product range might be more appealing? But Fitbit might be more accurate and have better data features? I need to know more.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

FogHelmut posted:

Has anyone made an effortpost on Garmin vs Fitbit? I'm looking at the Vivosmart 4 vs the Charge 3. Price and features are close enough. I think the Fitbit is better looking, but Garmin's ecosystem and product range might be more appealing? But Fitbit might be more accurate and have better data features? I need to know more.

I like the looks and feels of the Garmin Vivoactive 3 over anything by Fitbit so that's why I got it. It works great. That's the extent of an effortpost you're getting from me!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The Vivoactive 3 chronically underestimates distances by 1-2 tenths of a mile.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Can you calibrate it for your stride?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

FogHelmut posted:

Yes. Not sure if the above person did.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I have, it doesn't really help. There a bunch of people on Garmin's forums complaining about the same thing. I haven't played around with it in awhile though.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Distance measuring isn't a killer, I'm mainly interested in the heart rate monitoring and sleep stuff.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I'm using a Vivosmart HR and I'm generally satisfied with it though I'm not really using it to its full potential either. I have not used any Fitbit. Any commentary I have is more specific to the model I'm using rather than the ecosystem.

Garmin Connect gets rather confused output when you fly internationally and change time zones, I guess? :shrug:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Actually no, you can only input a custom stride length for tracking walking (since it doesn't rely on GPS). The only suggestionss Garmin gives you are to enable GLONASS (Russian GPS) and changing data tracking from Smart to Every Minute (which I assume just eats up more battery). Neither have improved things for me. I've also compared with lots of other watches, my phone, and presumably correct race courses; they all typically agree on a distance that is longer than what the Vivoactive tracks. I sent an email to support about this yesterday so hopefully I get some feedback. Before I bought this watch I consulted DC Rainmaker's review and he found that it was pretty accurate, so I might just have a defective device.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
How is setting a custom stride length not "calibrating it to your stride"? What else is there to configure?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

How is setting a custom stride length not "calibrating it to your stride"? What else is there to configure?

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Actually no, you can only input a custom stride length for tracking walking (since it doesn't rely on GPS)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

You didn't mention anything other than walking, try being clearer next time.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

You didn't mention anything other than walking, try being clearer next time.

I think it's pretty clear when I talk about GPS tracking and race courses that I'm talking about running (nor did I ever actually mention walking prior to saying "you can only do it for walking"), and if it's not then I'm sorry, but you could've just asked for clarification instead of being lovely about it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I think it's pretty clear when I talk about GPS tracking and race courses that I'm talking about running (nor did I ever actually mention walking prior to saying "you can only do it for walking"), and if it's not then I'm sorry, but you could've just asked for clarification instead of being lovely about it.

I didn't know what you meant, I had no idea that stride length and GPS on these trackers were exclusively for running, and I'm not being lovely about it?? Why are you being so hostile and aggressive?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’ve been using the garmins for years and the charge 3 is the first time I’ve thought of switching over. The new HR monitor is a game changer, way more accurate and can do magical stuff with O2 sats - basically it’s made everthing else obsolete.

6 months time garmin will have it.

So right now get the charge 3, 6 months time upgrade your garmin.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah the sensors are compelling. But several people I know IRL who are really into fitness are telling me they like their Garmin. I think the Fitbit is/was seen as a glorified step counter, but this new one seems more legit.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I've been looking at smartwatches the last couple of days, but with no Pixel Watch coming and Qualcomm's disappointing new SoC, those don't seem like a great purchase right now. I guess bands are a better choice anyway if I'm mostly interested in fitness and sleep tracking? Fitbit's Charge 3 seems to tick all the boxes, but it's five times more expensive than my buddy's Mi Band 3. Is that price difference really justified? 150€ for a band with a tiny monochrome display gives me pause, but if the sensors and software are that much better, then fine.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

https://venturebeat.com/2018/10/01/huawei-watch-gt-reportedly-lasts-14-days-with-sleep-and-heart-monitors/

2 week battery, or one when always on? (how the gently caress anyone can wear a watch you have to turn on to get the time I dunno) Something to finally replace my Pebble Steel? I still get a week out of it. If you plug it in for an hour or so it says 100% and will go to 90 almost immediately, leave it plugged in overnight and you get the longevity. My buddy had one of the Samsung's and it was big as a boulder, and he is a small guy. I could maybe pull off a half big watch but if it can come near to a sensible size and the battery life is for real, I may finally have a viable upgrade on my hands (wrist?)

Is there anything else out there I should look at that can do a weekish always on? I dont need a lot else in the way of features. Gotta be tough. drat I've smacked my wrist off walls and doors so often with my Steel and its flawless.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 2, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Anyone's Vivoactive 3 had battery life drop drastically in the last month or so? I used to get ~6 days, now I'm in at 2-3.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

CLAM DOWN posted:

Anyone's Vivoactive 3 had battery life drop drastically in the last month or so? I used to get ~6 days, now I'm in at 2-3.

Known issue, contact them on their customer support section and they will replace it for a new one no questions asked.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

learnincurve posted:

Known issue, contact them on their customer support section and they will replace it for a new one no questions asked.

Oh no loving way! Are you for real? gently caress. I thought I was hallucinating. Through the official Garmin site?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yup and if you have problems getting a response then leave a bad review on Amazon and a rep will link you an email. They will also swap them if the strap splits.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

codo27 posted:

https://venturebeat.com/2018/10/01/huawei-watch-gt-reportedly-lasts-14-days-with-sleep-and-heart-monitors/

2 week battery, or one when always on? (how the gently caress anyone can wear a watch you have to turn on to get the time I dunno) Something to finally replace my Pebble Steel? I still get a week out of it. If you plug it in for an hour or so it says 100% and will go to 90 almost immediately, leave it plugged in overnight and you get the longevity. My buddy had one of the Samsung's and it was big as a boulder, and he is a small guy. I could maybe pull off a half big watch but if it can come near to a sensible size and the battery life is for real, I may finally have a viable upgrade on my hands (wrist?)

Is there anything else out there I should look at that can do a weekish always on? I dont need a lot else in the way of features. Gotta be tough. drat I've smacked my wrist off walls and doors so often with my Steel and its flawless.

I'm also looking for a replacement for my Pebble Time. Are you really still getting a week from the Pebble Steel? My Time only lasts 2 days at best but I guess the battery is just skunked. Otherwise a great watch though - honestly I might just buy a replacement battery.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Do you charge it overnight as I suggested? Because like I said, unplug it shortly after it hits 100 and it wont last. I've had it about 4 years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

codo27 posted:

Do you charge it overnight as I suggested? Because like I said, unplug it shortly after it hits 100 and it wont last. I've had it about 4 years now.

Yes I've tried charging it over night and I even tried discharging the thing all the way down to 0% and then charging it overnight and it does last longer after that and sometimes if I charge it overnight I'll get 3-4 whole days but all in all not a huge difference and I'm for sure not getting a whole week.