Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I just hope the artist; Aud Koch; gets more gigs at Marvel because her work looked really nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Zdarsky's last issue of Spider-Man is...well, all the usual Spider-Man adjectives.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

howe_sam posted:

Zdarsky's last issue of Spider-Man is...well, all the usual Spider-Man adjectives.

Thwip?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

howe_sam posted:

Friendly?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Web of?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Renew Your Vows?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Menacing!

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

X-O posted:

Expected income just means she wasn't paid for work she didn't do. This literally happens all the time when ongoing books are cancelled. She was paid for the issues completed and not for the issues that weren't. That's how it works when any book is cancelled. I mean if she did two issues and then they stiffed her on the work she'd done then ok you have every to complain and I'll side with you. When you're on a project is cancelled before the work is completed and you are paid for the part you already did you shouldn't get paid for the work you didn't do just because you had planned on doing it. This is work for hire stuff.

Expected income is an important part of how you figure your budget, if you're doing work for hire stuff.

I dunno. I don't think it's outlandish to be frustrated with this situation as only the latest trouble in her relationship with Marvel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

howe_sam posted:

Avuncular!

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
It’s You!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If I ever wrote a Spider-Man comic, it would be called "PICTURES! of SPIDER-MAN!"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Today's X-Men red

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I got to put a GG Allin reference in a Marvel comic today, that was pretty fun:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Understand there is not one bit of hyperbole at all in this when I say it: I think Peter Parker #310 is one of the best single issues of a comic I’ve ever read in my life. The first time I’ve legit teared up reading a comic in I don’t know how long. There aren’t enough adjectives to describe how o felt reading that issue. Zdarsky you are one hell of writer.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I want you to know that the punk suit is my go-to in the Spider-Man video game :)
Converse sneakers should always be a part of the costume.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 27, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

X-O posted:

Understand there is not one bit of hyperbole at all in this when I say it: I think Peter Parker #310 is one of the best single issues of a comic I’ve ever read in my life. The first time I’ve legit teared up reading a comic in I don’t know how long. There aren’t enough adjectives to describe how o felt reading that issue. Zdarsky you are one hell of writer.

yeah that one story definitely got me in the feels

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Cael posted:

Thanks for articulating what I was going to post. I’m glad she spoke up about it, and she knows exactly what she’s doing and how some people might perceive it and is comfortable with her own decision. But I think it’s an important message to send, especially to people thinking about getting into the business. I would rather have this than ANY of the empty suit interviews that someone towing the party line will give to any of the interchangeable comic news sites.
It reminds of what is going with the Video Game industry in the wake of Telltale going bankrupt. All this poo poo needs to be unionized and the workers shouldn't be treated like cogs who put up with a lot of poo poo going in because its there dream to be a comic book writer or video game developer.

Sorry if I get a little passionate about it, being friends with Scott Benson kind of gets me fired up with labor relations in the video game industry

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

achillesforever6 posted:

It reminds of what is going with the Video Game industry in the wake of Telltale going bankrupt. All this poo poo needs to be unionized and the workers shouldn't be treated like cogs who put up with a lot of poo poo going in because its there dream to be a comic book writer or video game developer.

Sorry if I get a little passionate about it, being friends with Scott Benson kind of gets me fired up with labor relations in the video game industry

This isn't anything like the Telltale situation. The Telltale situation is a company mismanaging itself into loving oblivion in an environment that grinds through workers like nothing else. To the point where they eventually went under and screwed all their employees, there was a tonne of things that lead to that situation, not the least of which tremendous financial mismanagement.

This is utterly incomparable to a situation in which a work-for-hire creative team was paid for their work that the company decided not to publish.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Someone on my Twitter asked this question and I'm curious. Has there ever been a not unpopular hero that died and Marvel just decided "This death is actually permanent, they're not coming back"? I would think Mar-Vell counts, even though he's been brought back multiple times, it's always been temporary.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah working in comics means doing crunch hours all the time and not just at the tail end of a project, for below livable wages, with no benefits, have to put in their own time and money to promote books even when working at the big 2, have no labor protections, and the expectation that if you get treated like poo poo that you can never speak up or you'll never work again

ex telltale employees talking about wheres my (rightly expected) severance package, lol you think a creator who had their book axed is gonna get a severance

if anything game devs probably have it better

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

How much longer until Spider-Punk is Marvel's flagship character?

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Waffleman_ posted:

Someone on my Twitter asked this question and I'm curious. Has there ever been a not unpopular hero that died and Marvel just decided "This death is actually permanent, they're not coming back"? I would think Mar-Vell counts, even though he's been brought back multiple times, it's always been temporary.

I would say he counts, any time I can think of it was obvious it wasn’t permanent. And if he counts than Banshee, Destiny, Thunderbird and a bunch of other X-folks that only came back for Necrosha and Chaos War.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Banshee is 'alive' currently.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Onmi posted:

This isn't anything like the Telltale situation. The Telltale situation is a company mismanaging itself into loving oblivion in an environment that grinds through workers like nothing else. To the point where they eventually went under and screwed all their employees, there was a tonne of things that lead to that situation, not the least of which tremendous financial mismanagement.

This is utterly incomparable to a situation in which a work-for-hire creative team was paid for their work that the company decided not to publish.

They are different situations but are both industries that desperately need to unionize, though comics creators would likely have to do it via a guild system like Hollywood professions.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's almost hard to remember at this point that Norman Osborn was straight up dead for 23 real world years

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blockhouse posted:

It's almost hard to remember at this point that Norman Osborn was straight up dead for 23 real world years

Harry was dead for like 18 or so right?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jean Grey was actually dead for 14 real world years!

radlum
May 13, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

I will always find it weird that for years I thought Norman was Spider-Man's biggest foe, yet he was still dead in the main continuity.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah Hobgoblin and Doctor Octopus were basically been the #1 Spider-Man archnemesis during that whole gap

EvilJay
Jul 25, 2005

X-O posted:

This is one of the best comics I have read in a LONG time. It's perfect and I hope he gets another chance to write the character.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Blockhouse posted:

yeah Hobgoblin and Doctor Octopus were basically been the #1 Spider-Man archnemesis during that whole gap

I wonder if you could do a long-running mystery of the Hobgoblin type story noawadays. I'm not even bemoaning if you can't, just wondered if it could make it out unscathed in the era of Johnston lurking outside walls with his ear to the glass.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dawgstar posted:

I wonder if you could do a long-running mystery of the Hobgoblin type story noawadays. I'm not even bemoaning if you can't, just wondered if it could make it out unscathed in the era of Johnston lurking outside walls with his ear to the glass.

Sure, within about five years of Hobgoblin's unmasking (as Ned Leeds, contrary to Stern's own plans), DC ended up having to fudge the big reveal they'd planned for Armageddon 2001 because too many people on the nascent Internet worked out that the Monarch was going to be Captain Atom, didn't they?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, within about five years of Hobgoblin's unmasking (as Ned Leeds, contrary to Stern's own plans), DC ended up having to fudge the big reveal they'd planned for Armageddon 2001 because too many people on the nascent Internet worked out that the Monarch was going to be Captain Atom, didn't they?

They didn't 'end up having to', they chose to. This is a big difference.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Not as long as the Hobgoblin, but it took 8 months to reveal who the female Thor was.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Blockhouse posted:

Green Goblin looms large in hindsight because of the death of Gwen but in the stories before that it seemed that Ock was treated with more reverence and fear. Norman was important to Peter as a villain because of the secret identity issues and because of Harry but I always got the sense that Ock was the more dangerous foe. Norman had the big girlfriend killing moment but then of course also immediately died afterwards.

It wasn't until Hobgoblin where I'd say it was the first time Ock stopped being #1. And then in the years after that you have Harry as Goblin, Venom, and Norman's return.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

It was spoiled in Advance Comics.

"And how will the heroic forces react when Monarch is at long last unmasked and revealed to be one of their own - CAPTAIN ATOM!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lobok posted:

It wasn't until Hobgoblin where I'd say it was the first time Ock stopped being #1. And then in the years after that you have Harry as Goblin, Venom, and Norman's return.

Yeah, around that time there'd been a story where Ock injured Black Cat in a fight and Spider-Man flipped out and beat the poo poo out of him, so for a while after that Ock was sort of compromised as Spider-Man's arch-villain because he was now terrified of him.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Not as long as the Hobgoblin, but it took 8 months to reveal who the female Thor was.

Well it didn't help that there was a pretty early fake out where Thor asks Jane if it's her and she flat denies it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, around that time there'd been a story where Ock injured Black Cat in a fight and Spider-Man flipped out and beat the poo poo out of him, so for a while after that Ock was sort of compromised as Spider-Man's arch-villain because he was now terrified of him.

Ock got his own back (well, Spidey let him think so anyway) and was cured of his 'arachnophobia' right before Venom made his first appearance, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Dawgstar posted:

It's a number of years old now but the mystery of who Red Hulk was dragged on for a long time. Or at least it felt like a long time.