Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
That is loving GRIM.

Holy poo poo.

That’s some “I have totally ruined my entire life” tier poo poo and I’m extremely about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I remember reading an article about this 50 year old professional who became a crack whore but it skipped the dirty details of how the actual transition happened. I bet it was this.

That's super sad.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

It's like a perfect example of how having money does not in any way prevent you from being a broken human being. Take care of yourselves first, goons. Money won't fix that.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
This might be veering too far into "nothing on the internet is real" but how do you spend $4MM on a divorce, even a contested one? Those lawyers must have loved these people as clients.

Spite is the obvious answer.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

H110Hawk posted:

:moments:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

H110Hawk posted:

This might be veering too far into "nothing on the internet is real" but how do you spend $4MM on a divorce, even a contested one? Those lawyers must have loved these people as clients.

12 years combined in lawyers' fees probably had a lot to do with it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i like that despite making $700k per year and being in their 60s they only had six mil in assets :sad:

one of my colleagues who went through a divorce (high paid partner at consulting firm, SAH wife) said that the secret to getting things resolved quickly was not being current with the lawyer - once you fall behind on invoices they assume the money is drying up and they should get it closed out

not sure how true it is but i like the concept

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Nocheez posted:

12 years combined in lawyers' fees probably had a lot to do with it.

8000 or more hours billed on a divorce is in the territory of "moderately difficult to believe" (as are generally all of these stories that involve sordidly detailed numerical information about other people's finances that friends and relatives generally wouldn't have access to)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

divorce lawyers only bill out at $250/hr?

edit: derp they spent four milly on lawyer fees, $500/hr makes sense!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

It definitely feels a little too crazy to believe, but moderately wealthy people with money to spend are notorious for opening bars/restaurants and having them fail miserably because they haze less than zero clue what it takes to run a place like that. And they're known for throwing good money after bad to keep it afloat.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Divorce breaks brains. Let’s just remember how that actor from 7th Heaven tried to get greedy with his divorce and his ex spilled the beans about him molesting little girls, effectively ending his career. Like if you are ending a partnership with someone with that kind of dirt you don’t dilly-dally over whether they get 40% or 50%. You give them 60% and end that relationship on the happiest note possible.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

50% of 6MM is 3MM, but you only have to spend 1.2MM in lawyer fees before you're worse off even assuming you get a 60/40 split

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Bird in a Blender posted:

It definitely feels a little too crazy to believe, but moderately wealthy people with money to spend are notorious for opening bars/restaurants and having them fail miserably because they haze less than zero clue what it takes to run a place like that. And they're known for throwing good money after bad to keep it afloat.

Restaurants are a good way to turn a large pile of money into a small pile of money. They are also a good way to turn a small pile of money into a large pile of money. Hard work, good business sense, and luck are all factors. In a lot of the BWM tales the vanity restaurants tend to have absent or barely working owners and they fail quickly. And alcoholism is rampant in the industry so that takes a toll.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 26, 2018

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

The divorce part is legitimately the least questionable/surprising part of the story.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

50% of 6MM is 3MM, but you only have to spend 1.2MM in lawyer fees before you're worse off even assuming you get a 60/40 split

Most divorcees would rather spend their last dime than let their partner have a penny

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

CannonFodder posted:

Restaurants are a good way to turn a large pile of money into a small pile of money. They are also a good way to turn a small pile of money into a large pile of money. Hard work, good business sense, and luck are all factors. In a lot of the BWM tales the vanity restaurants tend to have absent or barely working owners and they fail quickly. And alcoholism is rampant in the industry so that takes a toll.

Opening a restaurant is the most expensive way to get yourself a minimum wage job.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Motorsports puts in a very strong showing on that one. Same joke as the restaurant (and airline) industry - what's the best way to win a small fortune in motorsports? start with a large one

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

hnnnnngh that's the good stuff. Hooooly poo poo. Never mind that poo poo show of a divorce at the beginning where they could each walk away with 3M and just forget the other existed.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hoodwinker posted:

Mental illness is a hell of a drug.

Opening restaurants is a sign of mental illness

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Should have agreed to go 40/40 at the outset, and argue over the remaining 20% until it was resolved or the 20% was spent.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
Well I’m not always right but I have a feeling this guy will not be elected governor of PA

https://mobile.twitter.com/adambonin/status/1044938806003204097

Unfortunately PA has lax campaign finance reporting laws, so we may never know what stupid rear end thing he was investing in to lose all his campaign money while the market went up 10%.

E: the campaign had 2.2 mil cash on hand going into the spring filing period, has lost 1.4 mil in investments since then

Squinky v2.0 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 26, 2018

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Squinky v2.0 posted:

Well I’m not always right but I have a feeling this guy will not be elected governor of PA

https://mobile.twitter.com/adambonin/status/1044938806003204097

Unfortunately PA has lax campaign finance reporting laws, so we may never know what stupid rear end thing he was investing in to lose all his campaign money while the market went up 10%.

That is bonkers.

Not only managing to lose that much money when the market is up 10% overall, but who stores their campaign funds in a brokerage account???

That is 100% illegal on the federal level, but I guess PA let's you.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 26, 2018

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

lol, that has to be in Bitcoin.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Very well could be, he's a libertarian after all.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the thread is loving on fire right now

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Could you invest in Bitcoin in a TD Ameritrade brokerage account ~9 months ago?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

someone had a crypto ETF on CBOE i think

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Squinky v2.0 posted:

E: the campaign had 2.2 mil cash on hand going into the spring filing period, has lost 1.4 mil in investments since then

If only there were a way to separate out losses from commissions. I’m sure his broker is doing fine.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Where are all the customers’ yachts?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

GBTC and yeah you got killed in the last 9 months holding that

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Squinky v2.0 posted:

what stupid rear end thing he was investing in to lose all his campaign money while the market went up 10%.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Oh you can lose much more than 10% in the past 9 months.

Forgive the self post, but let me share my credentials with you

Note the date!

:suicide:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Note the date!

Holy poo poo Chris this is the best BWM post you’ve made, we literally have to allow this.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Note the date!

Think of how many great watches this could have bought instead.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Note the date!

This is precisely the correct type of self-posting.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Note the date!

Oh god it's GGGC self-posting again and... gently caress, OK, that qualifies.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Self posting your terrible financial decisions is a service to society as your only remaining contribution is as a bad example.

Because holy loving poo poo.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Buttcoins deliver.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Note the date!

Goddamn :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I am really surprised that investing your campaign funds isn't actually a violation all on its own, never mind doing it and managing to lose a shitload.