Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
In somehow even more stupid news.

*Looks at the DnD/DnDNext/Roll20 Reddits* It's all on fire!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
*public relations check*
Roll20 rolls a 1

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

RC Cola posted:

So if I wanted to play a grapple monk, what kind of point but should I look at? High str/dex/con?

Alternate option to what's already been said, take a level of Rogue for Expertise in Athletics.

Like, the real strength of Monks is that they can use DEX for their attacks and AC; you're probably not gonna want to make STR your highest stat, or you'll get tagged all the time. Standard point buy/array can net you like, +3 DEX and +2 WIS, for an AC of 15 -- I wouldn't recommend doing anything that puts your AC below that. And you won't want a CON below +2 IMO, unless maybe you're doing the Kensei longbow routine (which you're not, since you're asking about grapplering.)

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

P.d0t posted:

Alternate option to what's already been said, take a level of Rogue for Expertise in Athletics.

That’s the idea with my shadow monk, expertise in athletics. Bard may be better but the Charisma requirement is too MAD.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

ProfessorCirno posted:

Bards have always been good and cool, and grogs hating it has only ever strengthened both of these facts.

I'm ignoring anything else being said in this thread right now.

I've never got the appeal of a bard. Maybe it's the implication of music, because I feel like I have to sing to properly rp a bard.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

Yeah, I never considered anything like that. In our group it basically got a few laughs (and a few people grousing that 'we should have killed him so he can't sick his organization on us, why you gotta be such a goody two shoes'). Even the player of the PC only complained because 'If I hadn't missed two of my three shots, she'd have been dead before she could do it, and I would have won. Dang low rolls.'

I am really sorry for anyone I made uncomfortable with it. It wasn't meant to be rapey or sexual abuse, but using mind control to non-lethally resolve a situation in a way that left people laughing, and felt suitably 'what the gently caress, I'm gonna gently caress you over' without going fully deadly, because my PC is all about non lethal. But in hindsight with this mentioned, I do understand how that can be taken now, and I'm sorry for it.

Yeah its fine, dont worry too much about it. Like I said it was just two unfortunate stories that put together painted a picture you didn't intend.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 26, 2018

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

clusterfuck posted:

That’s the idea with my shadow monk, expertise in athletics. Bard may be better but the Charisma requirement is too MAD.

Rogue is the best level 1 dip for overall skillfulness. Monk at least gets shortsword prof, so you can leverage Sneak Attack with that, when you're not trying to grapple/shove people.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

KittyEmpress posted:

Yeah, I never considered anything like that. In our group it basically got a few laughs (and a few people grousing that 'we should have killed him so he can't sick his organization on us, why you gotta be such a goody two shoes'). Even the player of the PC only complained because 'If I hadn't missed two of my three shots, she'd have been dead before she could do it, and I would have won. Dang low rolls.'

I am really sorry for anyone I made uncomfortable with it. It wasn't meant to be rapey or sexual abuse, but using mind control to non-lethally resolve a situation in a way that left people laughing, and felt suitably 'what the gently caress, I'm gonna gently caress you over' without going fully deadly, because my PC is all about non lethal. But in hindsight with this mentioned, I do understand how that can be taken now, and I'm sorry for it.

S'all good. In my first attempt to play with strangers off one of those bulletin boards in the FLGS, I found myself at this dude's house explaining my Elf Cleric (Elf/Time Domains because I'm a real piece of poo poo). I should have seen the warning flags that he thought it was weird I'd want to play a girl character, but y'know, first time. Anyway, we start the session and I realize my character is insufficiently cheaty to really roll with this squad and I'm not having a great time anyway, when suddenly a recurring joke occurs that the table finds hilarious. A "big fat retarded gay orc baby in a diaper" comes out from around a rock and starts demanding dicks to suck. This situation is apparently normal, so the whole rest of the party is just having fun adding adjectives to this creature as it stomps around, and throwing subdual damage at him so they can knock him unconscious. I was new to trying to find games, but not new to standing my ground about poo poo, so I told the DM this was making me pretty uncomfortable, as a bisexual dude, and also just as a person who tries not to be a piece of poo poo (except in character design). His response was to have the orc stomp after my character demanding to suck a dick. He went so far as to have some custom setting god sex change my character on the spot to have a dick to suck. Since then I've had a hard time not assuming everyone else's game isn't a big creepy poo poo storm.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Nazgul posted:

I've never got the appeal of a bard. Maybe it's the implication of music, because I feel like I have to sing to properly rp a bard.

I really like the idea of a bard never singing or even knowing he's magical, but just doing obnoxious spoken word beat poetry poo poo and getting really confused when weird spells start happening at open mic night

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kingcom posted:

Yeah its fine, dont worry too much about it. Like I said it was just two unfortunate stories that put together painted a picture you didn't intend.

One thing is that I don't think the other bard in the second story was a PC, it was the DM playing along with her. That completely changes the tone of the encounter.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

KittyEmpress posted:

Yeah, I never considered anything like that. In our group it basically got a few laughs

Thank you for understanding why people had a bad impression. It's fine to have not thought hard about this type of thing. It'd be nice to be a person who didn't have to.

So yeah, stuff like this is why people are willing to judge very quickly when even a hint of non-consensual sex-adjacent stuff comes up in D&D. You see poo poo like that play out a couple of times and you're just ready to nope out of there (or start saying "this is not ok with me" or similar) at the first sign of it happening instead of waiting.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 26, 2018

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Holy gently caress. I've had bad experiences, but it's why I don't play with randoms anymore. All my groups are generally close friends or friends of close friends.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Bogan Krkic posted:

I really like the idea of a bard never singing or even knowing he's magical, but just doing obnoxious spoken word beat poetry poo poo and getting really confused when weird spells start happening at open mic night

I've played 2 bards now, none of them sing or dance or play instruments. They yell and motivate cause thats how you play a warlord in 5e.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

kingcom posted:

I've played 2 bards now, none of them sing or dance or play instruments. They yell and motivate cause thats how you play a warlord in 5e.

My last bard would motivate people by threatening to make them the comic relief character in the saga unless they got their poo poo together.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
In other Bard related news, I got roped into a 5e game with two brand new players, so it'll be four PC's and the GM. I wasn't particularly set on playing anything. I'm a bit of a concept/mechanics player; whatever meshes with the group I can probably make work for me to have fun with. Even if it's 5e.

Cue one of the new players herself being rather uncertain or not quite yet committed to a class or character angle herself. We're basically at an impasse with neither of us able to commit on anything, and I'm just straight up asked just what I do have in mind.

"Alright, a musician, a bard-"
"Well, I wanted to play a supporty character in a Bard too."
"Alright, well, do that! You can be crazy-diverse with Bard builds. But I was thinking a musician so touched by music from the Outer Realms that he basically serves it's melody."

Our GM already feared the worst.

"So full on Warlock. Great Old One. Mage Initiate and later Tome to grab Bard support and characteristic spells. Be the most eldritch musician that ever played a guitar."
"Can I maybe become his apprentice? Or learn his tricks and music?"

So that's how we now have a Tome Warlock that Bards and a Lore Bard that Warlocks (using shared thematics and a few cross-class spelld) on a grand journey to spress beautiful, haunting, discordant music. I look forward to seeing the two characters become their own, well, characters.

Arthil posted:

Haha what :confused:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arthil posted:

Anarch posted:

*public relations check*
Roll20 rolls a 1

Dinictus posted:

Haha what :confused:

https://old.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/9iwarj/after_5_years_on_roll20_i_just_cancelled_and/

somebody from the roll20 subreddit got banned by the moderators (who are presumably officially affiliated with roll20)

this person researches why they got banned, and it turns out that the moderators thought they were the alt-account of somebody else

and the reason why that someone else got banned was because they were making posts critical of roll20, specifically about how discussions about paid-GMing kept getting shut down out of hand

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
They specifically got banned by the Roll20 co-founder.

Who went on to report them to Reddit admins for ban evasion. Who confirmed it was not the same guy.

The official Roll20 response? "Yeah well you emailed our company support a lot trying to get unbanned so we're just gonna let this stay permabanned."

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Official comment from the co-founder is currently standing at -17400 points or the 4th most downvoted comment of all time. That's not rolling a 1 on a PR D20, that's rolling the dice, tripping on it and setting the house on fire.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

And this is why you hire a community manager.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Toplowtech posted:

And this is why you hire a community manager.

Didn't work for PGI's Transverse.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Didn't work for PGI's Transverse.
For the same "ban every even slightly negative comments" reason. It's like someone higher in the hierarchy was as stupid and giving stupid order.
Well at least said boss person could put the blame on the community manager and fire him.
The role of a community manager isn't to prevent stupid flamewar and community revolts, it's to get the blame for the boss' stupidity.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Fair.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Christ almighty why do people still act like that as adults?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Because they've never had to live in a situation where not taking other peoples' feelings or values into account has had consequences beyond "the person leaves."

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

e: wrong thread, sorry.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

canepazzo posted:

Official comment from the co-founder is currently standing at -17400 points or the 4th most downvoted comment of all time. That's not rolling a 1 on a PR D20, that's rolling the dice, tripping on it and setting the house on fire.

It's now at 28K, making it the 2nd most downvoted comment of all time, beaten only by EA's response. Nolan may end up making quite the name for their company yet.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
lmao that guy's cofounders must be pissed

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I love that there are still companies that completely fail to understand the internet, even when their entire business is a community-based website.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

AlphaDog posted:

Thank you for understanding why people had a bad impression. It's fine to have not thought hard about this type of thing. It'd be nice to be a person who didn't have to.

So yeah, stuff like this is why people are willing to judge very quickly when even a hint of non-consensual sex-adjacent stuff comes up in D&D. You see poo poo like that play out a couple of times and you're just ready to nope out of there (or start saying "this is not ok with me" or similar) at the first sign of it happening instead of waiting.

I excused myself and kicked his barbeque into his pool on my way out.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

theironjef posted:

Sick, I hope you did it without looking, cool guy style.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

poorlifedecision posted:

Sick, I hope you did it without looking, cool guy style.

I wish. Took a bus there so I basically had to have a running and hiding plan. Sadly no one stood up and clapped and no one there was secretly einstein.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

theironjef posted:

I respect this a lot.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
End of the day, in spite of WotC's efforts to make DnD hip and trendy and mainstream, tabletop games are still a niche thing only certain selections of grognards are down for. You cannot afford to be a standoffish jackass in such a small community, especially when people have offered competing products.

It's a resume generating event.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://old.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/9iwarj/after_5_years_on_roll20_i_just_cancelled_and/

somebody from the roll20 subreddit got banned by the moderators (who are presumably officially affiliated with roll20)

this person researches why they got banned, and it turns out that the moderators thought they were the alt-account of somebody else

and the reason why that someone else got banned was because they were making posts critical of roll20, specifically about how discussions about paid-GMing kept getting shut down out of hand

Conspiratiorist posted:

They specifically got banned by the Roll20 co-founder.

Who went on to report them to Reddit admins for ban evasion. Who confirmed it was not the same guy.

The official Roll20 response? "Yeah well you emailed our company support a lot trying to get unbanned so we're just gonna let this stay permabanned."

Hahaha. I love it when company owners think they’re hot poo poo then drive their stuff into the ground by being dickbags.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I am partly hoping they do something to deal with him and make up for it though cause I'm a little scared of change.

Saturday DM started talking about Fantasy Grounds.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GMForge sounds cool in theory in that they don't gouge you with a pointless subscription, but there's barely any information out there about it and what you actually get when you buy it.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Roll20 staff relinquished the subreddit to the community with a short non-apology.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 26, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

Roll20 staff rescinded the subreddit to the community with a short non-apology.

Uh I don't think you know what rescinded means

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

theironjef posted:

Good for you.

When someone is politely told "that's making me uncomfortable" and then escalates, they're aggressively (if slightly indirectly) doing the "What are you going to do about it?" thing. At that point, gently caress it. It's time to walk away or do whatever it is you're going to do about it, because someone who's pulled that isn't done escalating.

I'd guess that guy has always had people walk away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Doing the lost mine campaign. We were ambushed and after winning took the wagon to town where I wrestled the town drunk and an inn and proceeded to roll high enough performance checks that I was able to start setting up a weekly wrestling league there. Pretty great first session. :allears: