Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I thought 'Persist' was a Trump supporter meme? Did it get co-opted?

Nah, "nonetheless, she persisted" became a hashtag-resistance favorite for months after the fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Seyser Koze posted:

Nah, "nonetheless, she persisted" became a hashtag-resistance favorite for months after the fact.

remember when they put warren in time out because she was talking poo poo about sessions, a man who is now a complete pariah in the party

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
p. slick to devote you front page to a shoe advertisement

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Dr. Killjoy posted:

p. slick to devote you front page to a shoe advertisement

That's abhorrent

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I must be missing something because I don't see any branding in that so if it's advertising shoes I'm confused which ones - I assume Nike though, on account of obviousness

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Frog Act posted:

I must be missing something because I don't see any branding in that so if it's advertising shoes I'm confused which ones - I assume Nike though, on account of obviousness
adidas.com/yeezy yeezysupply.com #AD

That's what it says a the bottom. Why they're advertising shoes with some group sex thing I'm not sure.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
The failing LA Times

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Are they Yeezy shoes? Because those are like, the opposite of #Woke. It's loving Yeezy.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1044907311058358273?s=19

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I don't remember the snake turning into a sexy lady in the books.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Paladinus posted:

I don't remember the snake turning into a sexy lady in the books.

nope, they retconned it because idk, rowling is a loving moron. i only heard about this yesterday when my girlfriend mentioned it.

lol. i mean sure, but loving why is she even a person now, why not just make a new character or actualy do something interesting instead of "snake is now women from indo-asian mythology because "i are woke" and "it was always that way" poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler has issued a correction as of 18:26 on Sep 26, 2018

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

isnt constantly retroactively changing the books to make herself look more woke by saying actually dumbledore was gay and actually there were jewish kids at hogwarts kind of rowling's M.O.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

isnt constantly retroactively changing the books to make herself look more woke by saying actually dumbledore was gay and actually there were jewish kids at hogwarts kind of rowling's M.O.

well yeah, she is a white neoliberal white feminist type. though, they did hint at dumbledore being gay in the last few books. id have to read them again.

i honestly hate harry potter now mostly because of internet libs who use it as a weird bad political spring board or analogies. if it were teenagers, id be ok with it, but its always late 20s, 30 year olds doing it. hell. i hate the "YA pop culture person/event" is just like trump/nazis/etc, poo poo.

it always reminds me of a more mainstream version of this.

Dapper_Swindler has issued a correction as of 18:34 on Sep 26, 2018

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wrong

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well yeah, she is a white neoliberal white feminist type. though, they did hint at dumbledore being gay in the last few books. id have to read them again. i honestly hate harry potter now mostly because of internet libs who use it as a weird bad political spring board or analogies. if it were teenagers, id be ok with it, but its always late 20s, 30 year olds doing it.

they read one book when they were young adults, and have consumed no popular culture besides maybe game of thrones since then

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Shear Modulus posted:

this one is extra weird because Nagini was literally a snake, ie not a human

i haven't read the book but

https://twitter.com/J_A_Moulton/status/1044992235262087168?s=19

it seems like an incredibly weird change to make!!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

yes but complaining that the snake turns into the wrong race of sexy woman seems kinda missing the forest for the trees

like, I don't really see how this is a woke or unwoke thing. just a weird choice in general

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

hold on so was it a snake monster who she retconned into being a person or is it a snake monster who was secretly a person who can shapeshift into a snake monster all along and she never showed her human form before and then she did in a new story and she was asian

because the first one is dumb but the second one is fine

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

the bitcoin of weed posted:

this one is extra weird because Nagini was literally a snake, ie not a human

i haven't read the book but

https://twitter.com/J_A_Moulton/status/1044992235262087168?s=19

it seems like an incredibly weird change to make!!

isn't she not even a real snake. like she is just an magical construct. idk.

Brother Entropy posted:

yes but complaining that the snake turns into the wrong race of sexy woman seems kinda missing the forest for the trees

like, I don't really see how this is a woke or unwoke thing. just a weird choice in general

because that movie was already on the shitlist because it has johnny depp in it because he is lovely dickhead and this just adds to another reason why its the most problematic thing for the next 20 minutes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

hold on so it was a snake monster who she retconned into being a person or is it a person who can shapeshift into a snake monster and she never showed her human form before and then she did in a new story and she was asian

because its exploitative and exotifying or some poo poo even though that old white lady could turn into animals, but reptiles are exotic and so are conventionally attractive asian women tend to be pushed that way in media too, so thats why its bad.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

hold on so was it a snake monster who she retconned into being a person or is it a person who can shapeshift into a snake monster and she never showed her human form before and then she did in a new story and she was asian

I think it's a snake that someone magiced into having a human form

note that this is all based off of a movie trailer

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
slay dragon lady slay

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

because its exploitative and exotifying or some poo poo even though that old white lady could turn into animals, but reptiles are exotic and so are conventionally attractive asian women tend to be pushed that way in media too, so thats why its bad.

remember that one animated movie where everyone was a karate animal and jack black was a panda and and then lucy liu was a snake lady, was that problematic

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Is Nagini the vile viper whose poisonous fang was plunged into the heart of the white protagonist's GF to infect her with evil?

Sounds like the ideal character to turn into a woke icon.

E: No, Nagini apparently wasn't the basilisk. Nagini was just Voldemort's (more like Voldetrump!) people eating snake.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
milking the asian lady, noted thing that is not at all weird

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

its a storied tradition in japanese specialty film, very insensitive of you to belittle it

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

everyone is really just jealous of voldemort because they also want to gently caress the snake

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

what's the least weird race to milk

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Brother Entropy posted:

Your mother.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Is Nagini the vile viper whose poisonous fang was plunged into the heart of the white protagonist's GF to infect her with evil?

Sounds like the ideal character to turn into a woke icon.

E: No, Nagini apparently wasn't the basilisk. Nagini was just Voldemort's (more like Voldetrump!) people eating snake.

is nagini some sort of Pythonidae or a Boa?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

dont they "milk" snakes' venom glands and use the stuff to make antivenom

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

the bitcoin of weed posted:

everyone is really just jealous of voldemort because they also want to gently caress the snake

didn't he have a bastard child with that harley quinn knock off played by Jenifer tilly?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shear Modulus posted:

dont they "milk" snakes' venom glands to make antivenom

i call it venom too

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

well according to my studi- wait, no, i'm not falling for that one again

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Why is everyone glazing over the fact that snakes can't produce milk? :cumpolice:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Business Gorillas posted:

Why is everyone glazing over the fact that snakes can't produce milk? :cumpolice:

Look at your prejudice, nowhere in the books does it say Nagini was a snake - she has been a platypus all along!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Some of these people need to go ahead and graduate to books for adults

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

General Dog posted:

Some of these people need to go ahead and graduate to books for adults

I'm gonna write an epic tweet storm comparing politics to Malazan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Actually a weird riff about Hillary being laseen, the former "serving girl" turned assassin turned empress who sucks and who's reign is largely defined by a) trying to conquer the world and b) failing because of rebellions inside her own forces would rule