Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

https://binaryfruit.com/drivedx/

One of the best driver diagnostics out there for macOS. Try the free demo...

Thanks!

Also, what's the current go to for Remote Desktop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Is there a way to re-install the macos version a macbook came with? I did a full wipe on my mother's 2012 macbook a while ago, but it installed Sierra (?) instead. Now it gets hot and stuff like background photo-indexing slows things down. I just want to wipe it again, and install whatever it came with in 2012. Still possible?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

mike12345 posted:

Is there a way to re-install the macos version a macbook came with? I did a full wipe on my mother's 2012 macbook a while ago, but it installed Sierra (?) instead. Now it gets hot and stuff like background photo-indexing slows things down. I just want to wipe it again, and install whatever it came with in 2012. Still possible?

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204904

quote:

Shift-Option-⌘-R
Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

aha ty very mucho

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Thanks!

To a Windows box? Microsoft Remote Desktop works pretty well. Apple? I'd just use screen sharing. Linux, I'm not quite sure, does VNC work there?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

nitsuga posted:

To a Windows box? Microsoft Remote Desktop works pretty well. Apple? I'd just use screen sharing. Linux, I'm not quite sure, does VNC work there?

I hear RDP client has improved on the Mac, but I found it barely usable a couple years ago.

I'm a fan of Jump Desktop (both macOS and iOS versions), but it does cost money.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Proteus Jones posted:

I hear RDP client has improved on the Mac, but I found it barely usable a couple years ago.

I'm a fan of Jump Desktop (both macOS and iOS versions), but it does cost money.

Money isn't an issue as long as its reasonable.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

nitsuga posted:

Yeah I never had complaints about the free Microsoft client in the years I occasionally used it.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
NoMachine has impressed me lately. Like Parsec, but you can host on any OS instead of just Windows:

https://www.nomachine.com

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bit the bullet and upgraded last night.

Everything still works (but have to re-approve apps for Accessibility) even the Palo Alto VPN client for work.

Over all I'm liking it, even Dark Mode (but I wish it was an actual Dark Mode and not Palette of Grays Mode)

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Shaocaholica posted:

Thanks!

If you are just going to RDP to a few boxes the Microsoft Remote Desktop works well, I've been using the beta. I occasionally need to do some Windows programming for my job and I have a Windows PC I use. The organizational features are pretty lacking if you are used to the Remote Desktop Connection Manager on Windows but otherwise it's fine.

I also use the Chrome Remote Desktop client for my home PC and it works pretty well. I sat on the couch last night and installed some stuff on my Windows PC with no issue

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Thanks!

It's dollars, but I have been a true believer in Royal TSX. I like Royal's organization features where I can group all my common used hosts into folders etc. If you're just using it here and there I wouldn't pay for it.

e: Oh it also appears to be free if you want to just bookmark 10 hosts.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

just updated safari no support for ublock origin, if its been posted before sorry, just looking for new rec

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

An Apple A Gay posted:

just updated safari no support for ublock origin, if its been posted before sorry, just looking for new rec

Firefox

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

An Apple A Gay posted:

it still works but this is the last version of safari to support non-app extensions

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It's not even out yet, but Apple is warning people with macOS Server not to upgrade to Mojave if you want NetBoot support.

Previous versions are supposedly fine... sheesh.

Violator
May 15, 2003

An Apple A Gay posted:

I'm trying AdBlock Plus in the app extension store for now. It's blocking ads but not sure how reputable the company/app is.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I heard good things about 1blocker and I use it on my phone/iPad.

EDIT: Apparently the mac version is older than the iOS version and isn't as useful?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Yeah I wouldn’t buy the Mac version unless it gets an update

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Binary Badger posted:

It's not even out yet, but Apple is warning people with macOS Server not to upgrade to Mojave if you want NetBoot support.

I had zero luck getting NetBoot working with High Sierra, so I guess no changes there for me. Clients could see the NetBoot share in Startup Disk but couldn't boot to it, and it never showed up when holding option during startup.

I got the impression that getting it to work with High Sierra involved circumventing Apple's attempts to kill imaging, so I didn't pursue it too far. I'm not trying to cobble together a workflow that's just going to fall apart without warning within a year.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

An Apple A Gay posted:

Seconding this. Depending on how you had Safari set up, there are a couple of additional plugins you'd want besides uB₀ to get back to where you left off, but it's a surprisingly easy switch.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
it looks like the uBlock Origin for Safari was dead before Mojave. Activity is basically nil since April https://github.com/el1t/uBlock-Safari/graphs/contributors and the dev is not responding to any issue posts

Time to use Firefox or find another solution :(

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Proteus Jones posted:

Over all I'm liking it, even Dark Mode (but I wish it was an actual Dark Mode and not Palette of Grays Mode)

Forgot to ask in my last post, what would make it an actual dark mode?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

I had zero luck getting NetBoot working with High Sierra, so I guess no changes there for me. Clients could see the NetBoot share in Startup Disk but couldn't boot to it, and it never showed up when holding option during startup.

I got the impression that getting it to work with High Sierra involved circumventing Apple's attempts to kill imaging, so I didn't pursue it too far. I'm not trying to cobble together a workflow that's just going to fall apart without warning within a year.

I think initially High Sierra had some problems with NetInstall, but they were resolved later, not that it really matters now. Looking at this again, Apple plans to remove NetInstall from the UI Fall 2018, so we probably won't be seeing it at all on Mojave.

That said, they do offer some alternatives, and I believe content caching can host macOS Internet Recovery files for 10.13.4+.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Toast Museum posted:

if you go into accessibility, reduce transparency and crank up the contrast, you get ULTRA DANK MODE

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

For some reason Mojave won't install on the Late 2012 27" iMac with 3tb drive if you have Boot Camp installed.
It only affects that one computer in that specific configuration.

So, uh, if you have that particular machine be aware you need to remove Boot Camp first.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209057

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

Last Chance posted:

if you go into accessibility, reduce transparency and crank up the contrast, you get ULTRA DANK MODE

You could just eliminate transparency in the accessibility options.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

nitsuga posted:

I think initially High Sierra had some problems with NetInstall, but they were resolved later, not that it really matters now. Looking at this again, Apple plans to remove NetInstall from the UI Fall 2018, so we probably won't be seeing it at all on Mojave.

That said, they do offer some alternatives, and I believe content caching can host macOS Internet Recovery files for 10.13.4+.

Since High Sierra, Netboot/Netinstall is going away. "Imaging" in the traditional sense is going away. It's all about Internet Recovery, management/provisioning, and DEP.

FCKGW posted:

For some reason Mojave won't install on the Late 2012 27" iMac with 3tb drive if you have Boot Camp installed.
It only affects that one computer in that specific configuration.

So, uh, if you have that particular machine be aware you need to remove Boot Camp first.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209057

I think (I could be wrong) it's because that configuration uses 2 hard drives so it probably causes issues with partitioning. I recall running into some similar issues with a configuration like that a couple years ago.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
RoyalTSX is my goto for remote anything. Seems great, definitely not free, but I dig it.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I've been trying Parsec for remote gaming and it's _really_ good. I'm not sure how much of a "proper" remote desktop solution it is but I haven't found any problem so far.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Can one of you nerds program a new uBlock that is awesome super fast and blocks all the bullshit? thx

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Housh posted:

Can one of you nerds program a new uBlock that is awesome super fast and blocks all the bullshit? thx

code:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/member2.php?action=addlist&userlist=ignore&username=Housh

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Toast Museum posted:

Creative director at Ars Technica did a mock up:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/09/why-mojaves-dark-mode-isnt-dark-enough/

May not be to everyone's taste, but I wish the mock-up version is what shipped.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Pivo posted:

code:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/member2.php?action=addlist&userlist=ignore&username=Housh
Whenever I walk past a fruit stand in Toronto I think of that comic meme of you

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've got a Macbook Pro with the touch strip running Sierra for work. Lately (I think since we switched from LanREV to Managed Software Center for our software delivery system), it's been switching around where the windows are on my monitors when I plug back in to the dock. The way I have my screens arranged is monitor 1 | monitor 2 | laptop screen. When I plug back in to my dock, it'll swap everything between monitor 1 and the laptop screen. We have some sort of Targus docks with the DisplayLink Drivers version 4.3 (142) installed. Is there anything I can do to make this stop happening?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Based on:

https://brooksreview.net/2018/09/safari-content-blocker-evaluations-92618-edition/

1Blocker looks interesting.

https://1blocker.com

iOS and macOS apps that sync their black/whitelists.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Violator posted:

Based on:

https://brooksreview.net/2018/09/safari-content-blocker-evaluations-92618-edition/

1Blocker looks interesting.

https://1blocker.com

iOS and macOS apps that sync their black/whitelists.

The current version for iOS is 1Blocker X (which is awesome). I don't think the new version syncs with the macOS version anymore, they way they handle all the different lists and settings is completely different now.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I liked the iOS version quite a bit, it was the best one among that first batch of content blockers. I got the Mac version based on that experience and was never too impressed. I eventually went back to uBlock Origin (and over to Firefox Focus on my phone). Maybe I’ll go back, but I’m definitely sticking with uBO until it’s fully dead.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Milkman posted:

I liked the iOS version quite a bit, it was the best one among that first batch of content blockers. I got the Mac version based on that experience and was never too impressed. I eventually went back to uBlock Origin (and over to Firefox Focus on my phone). Maybe I’ll go back, but I’m definitely sticking with uBO until it’s fully dead.

I actually have both uBlock Origin and 1Blocker running right now on my MacBook Pro, but I'm hoping they release a "1blocker X" for macOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

But who is seriously running macOS Server?