Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
A full tray of Stark Sworn Swords for ASoIaF, and I threw some mud/snow on the tray itself, too. Pretty happy with how this game's gonna look! Just so many units to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
First time I've ever painted an entire model in a single day! The Cybernetica Datasmith is on the smaller end of my Admech models, but he's got a ton of little details I'm really happy with (especially for being about 5 hours of effort in a single day). In particular, the lantern over his right shoulder, purity seal by his left foot, cable bundles on his back and face, and the good ol' Skitarii red cloak!

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Morning off work today so I put some paint on glow boy to the right here, he's supposed to be some dark admech henchman guy for his inquisitor boss in the middle. Not afraid of using Xenos poo poo, necron glowstick blah blah.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

My Gal Vorbak Hell project is finally over:

Here’s the last 2 I just completed:

And a group shot:

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Hixson posted:

My Gal Vorbak Hell project is finally over:

Here’s the last 2 I just completed:

And a group shot:

Gorgeous. Or visceral and horrifying, but in a good way.

What do you use for your basing materials? Painted cork sheet on top of, what, some type of texture paint?

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

It’s cork with sand glued to the base/sides of the cork

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Is the red glazed/blended or airbrushed? Looks like three distinct shades but the transitions look great.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

bonds0097 posted:

Is the red glazed/blended or airbrushed? Looks like three distinct shades but the transitions look great.

Thanks!

It’s all wetblended. I have my base red, a highlight, and black. I lay out the highlight, a 50/50 highlight basecoat, the basecoat, a 50/50 basecoat and Black, and black on the model and blend it together with a brush

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Wow looks great, I def thought it was airbrushed on first glance but upon closer inspection it's much better than your run of the mill airbrush fade.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I guess this is as close to a "General Modeling" thread as we have so I should ask this here: what ever happened to Lead Adventures? It looks like the site has been down since like late May.

I'm not talking about the forums (those apparently moved over to North Star (the Frostgrave guys)).

If they're really gone I'll be sad, Ratnik Miniatures had awesome civilian 40k stuff, as good as Colony 87 even. Very Blanchitsu.

:sigh:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Sep 25, 2018

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

A friend who I painted a big model for is now asking me about more painting and conversion work. Painting I know the general rule of thumb for costing, but how does conversion work get priced out? This would be Infinity so mostly weapon swaps.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

bonds0097 posted:

Yeah, the ROI on those things would take forever once you factor in time making your own bases and the cost of greenstuff. I'd rather just buy from Dragon Forge or Elriks or one of the other US-based basemakers.

You can get some textured rollers from Greenstuffworld. Six come in at about 50usd.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Z the IVth posted:

You can get some textured rollers from Greenstuffworld. Six come in at about 50usd.

Very true. Two Beans makes some awesome looking bases for his dusty bois with those.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Pyrolocutus posted:

A friend who I painted a big model for is now asking me about more painting and conversion work. Painting I know the general rule of thumb for costing, but how does conversion work get priced out? This would be Infinity so mostly weapon swaps.

How much conversion experience do you have?

Is the it old style with mostly separate arms or new ones cast in as few pieces as possible?

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

My Exalted Tomb King in Royal Chariot conversion. Or as I like to call him Ahomtep the Golden Vulture of Vengeance. Took me ages(about 7 months) to finish but I’m super stoked on how well he’s turned out. Used about 7 different kits to make this fever dream become reality.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
I don’t know what this is but it’s incredible!

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

bonds0097 posted:

I don’t know what this is but it’s incredible!

Thanks dude! It’s my take on this

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Horace-Noah posted:

Thanks dude! It’s my take on this

Ah, i see. Your take on it is much much cooler. Very excellent use of color throughout with nice crisp highlights. The red on the vulture face draws the eye in nicely.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Your mummy lord also looks more like Eddie from Iron Maiden.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

dr_ether posted:

Kingdom Death Gold Smoke Knight

Since you don't have PM's, what paints did you use for this mini? I'm thinking of using a similar scheme for my Nighthaunt army.

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

bonds0097 posted:

Ah, i see. Your take on it is much much cooler. Very excellent use of color throughout with nice crisp highlights. The red on the vulture face draws the eye in nicely.

😎 I’m really happy with that red, might be some of my best brush work ever. Stoked you picked it out.

Badablack posted:

Your mummy lord also looks more like Eddie from Iron Maiden.

Hell yeah.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Have some more progress pics on the Chieftains, going to wash and highlight the details next then probably matt and weather I think.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Does anyone have much experience with Kobra sprays in the UK? Normally I use colour bases like army painter but I got a coupon...

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I finally got me a good airbrush (H&S Infinity). Anybody got decent tutorials about stripping/cleaning/maintenance so I don't turn it into an expensive piece of junk by accident? I know my way about a cheap airbrush but I realize I've probably picked up a few bad habits, so I might as well check if I'm doing stuff properly.

Painting tutorials will be appreciated too.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Regular cleaning after every session will solve the majority of issues with any airbrush. Some Teflon tape on the seals, a very fine sanding of the needle tip, some lube on the needle, then you’re good to go.

I made a flare stack for my plasma generator. I’m gonna assume giant plasma conduits on buildings would need flare stacks too for overheating.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Badablack posted:

Regular cleaning after every session will solve the majority of issues with any airbrush. Some Teflon tape on the seals, a very fine sanding of the needle tip, some lube on the needle, then you’re good to go.
Those are exactly the things I don't know. How do I lube an airbrush? How do I clean thoroughly but without damage a tool that's vastly above the Chechen-gun-equivalent I used before? Which seals want teflon tape (air hose thread, or something else in the airbrush itself as well?) and what kind? Sanding is definitely not something I'm even gonna attempt without exact info as I've already been warned about thhe risk of scratching/damaging the nozzle.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Okay then. You apply a tiny bit of lube to the needle itself, and push it in and out of the airbrush to get it all over. This keeps the trigger action nice and smooth. Anything that screws into place, you can tear up a little strip of Teflon tape and wrap it up, the part at the front that screws off is the most important. Needles aren’t perfect and they can have tiny microscopic barbs from the machining process on their tip, so a superfine grade (like buffing nails) sanding of the tip will make paint come out smoother and reduce clogs.

As far as cleaning, I like generic ammonia-free windex, big bottle of the blue stuff. Vallejo airbrush cleaner is probably better but it costs more. When you finish painting and between colors you squirt some in the cup and run it until it’s just cleaner coming out. You can also put your finger over the nozzle and backwash it to get any gunk out of the tip. When you’re done, wipe down the needle as well, and wipe out any dried out crust from the cup. Every now and then, you’ll want to take the thing apart and soak it in cleaner to clean out any built up gunk but with regular cleaning it’s less necessary.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
There's a long rear end video in the op that is worth watching when you have the time, but the previous post covers most of it.

Don't use pipe cleaners or other metal based "air brush cleaner" sets. They can scrape up the tubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsW-vN0_lHw

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

I doubt that you'd need teflon tape on any part of the H&S Infinity, though you could use some where the air hose connects. I'd really recommend looking at teardown videos or diagrams of your airbrush before you attempt a thorough clean.

The easiest way to damage a nozzle is by inserting the needle too forcefully when putting it back together, just make sure that you're always as gentle as can be. A good trick for this is to insert your needle almost all the way in without locking it in place, put some water or thinner in the cup, depress the trigger without pulling back so the water is atomized, and slowly push the back of the needle forward until the water stops flowing. After the position is set, you can lock the needle in place and use the airbrush normally.

As far as cleaning solutions, it really depends on the type of paint that you're using.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Horace-Noah posted:

Beauty

My Exalted Tomb King in Royal Chariot conversion. Or as I like to call him Ahomtep the Golden Vulture of Vengeance. Took me ages(about 7 months) to finish but I’m super stoked on how well he’s turned out. Used about 7 different kits to make this fever dream become reality.

You have every right to be proud of that. It's a wonderful piece, but also a painful reminder of the criminally bad treatment the Tomb Kings got from GW. The foot TK models (both the generic one and Settra) could be worked into some really easy and effective conversions. I went for an Exodus theme for mine, so they were all cavalry and showed signs of having been immersed in salt water:

Fearless fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Sep 28, 2018

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
On the plus side it’s not like GW threw away their thousand dollar steel molds for all the plastic tomb king kits they made...at least I hope not.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

big_g posted:

Have some more progress pics on the Chieftains, going to wash and highlight the details next then probably matt and weather I think.

These are sweet.

Badablack posted:

On the plus side it’s not like GW threw away their thousand dollar steel molds for all the plastic tomb king kits they made...at least I hope not.
Nah, they didn't But it would be difficult for them to come back and admit they made a mistake. Also, they are obviously trying to phase out the old sculpts for AoS, so TK wouldn't have a place. Finally, if they brought back TK, they would have to bring back Bretonnia, because all of the neckbeards would have a hissyfit and declare a fatwa on GW.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Anyone any hands on experience with Iwata Neo airbrush, compared to others?

I've yet to actually try out my crappy no-brand airbrush that came with the compressor, though I've run out of excuses as I have a batch of genestealers ready to go and also now have all the cleaning, thinner, mask, booth etc... as well as realizing the airbrush is actually dual action where I presumed it wasn't). The only thing is that the brush is suction fed only which I read is not really optimal for models.

Is the Neo good enough as a starter or worth ponying up a bit more? Also, are there any good retailers (particularly around Europe) that regularly do sales? When discussing airbrushes previously people mentioned Badger patriots etc regularly go on sale but I've yet to see any without a horrendous markup...

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

berzerkmonkey posted:

Nah, they didn't But it would be difficult for them to come back and admit they made a mistake. Also, they are obviously trying to phase out the old sculpts for AoS, so TK wouldn't have a place. Finally, if they brought back TK, they would have to bring back Bretonnia, because all of the neckbeards would have a hissyfit and declare a fatwa on GW.

I don't really get why they phased out stuff like Tomb Kings or Bretonnia for Age of Sigmar. I was going through GW's site, looking through the AoS stuff, and I saw that some of the WHFB stuff is still there: Empire units are now 'Freeguild' and I discovered that they still sell Lizardmen, only now they're 'Seraphon'. A lot of the old stuff seems like it's still there, but now with all the dumb trademark-able names.

Admittedly, I'm not really well informed on all of GW's changes and whatnot, so I assume it was an issue of the armies not being popular or not selling very well. However, I thought with how popular Total War: Warhammer was, they'd reintegrate them back into the game. I mean, the Sisters of Battle are getting plastic models next year, so Tomb Kings don't seem like they'd be that big of a challenge.

Hell, bring back Chaos Dwarves and Squats, too.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

IPA Regulations posted:

Is the Neo good enough as a starter or worth ponying up a bit more? Also, are there any good retailers (particularly around Europe) that regularly do sales? When discussing airbrushes previously people mentioned Badger patriots etc regularly go on sale but I've yet to see any without a horrendous markup...

I'd say consider the Iwata HPC+

https://www.anest-iwata.com.au/products/airbrush/high-preformance-series/hp.cp

It's got bigger threads, so it's easier to take apart and assemble, as well as clean - and the gaskets inside are solvent resistant so if you want to use higher strength cleaners its great.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Tough call, that hp-c plus is almost 4x the price.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

It's a bit difficult to recommend an Iwata over something from the Mr Hobby/GSI Creos airbrushe line. Depending on pricing in Europe, something like the PS-274 or PS-289 (my airbrush) may be a better value.

https://www.amazon.com/GSI-Creos-Procon-Platinum-Airbrush/dp/B0030AO94U

Reviews of the 0.2mm version of the PS-289:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DmMrS27sZo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCLj3wbeQq8

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Just buy a badger patriot

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

w00tmonger posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > Miniatures Painting - Just buy a badger patriot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

always be closing posted:

Tough call, that hp-c plus is almost 4x the price.

w00tmonger posted:

:reject:

My options here are a bit restricted. I'm not against the idea of getting one, but I'd need to snag a hefty deal to make it feasible. The cheapest badger 105 here shows me about 130 GBP, which after postage and conversion is gonna be almost or over 200 euros or definitely over 200 dollars, while the Iwata Neo would be around 50 all-in.

Symetrique posted:

It's a bit difficult to recommend an Iwata over something from the Mr Hobby/GSI Creos airbrushe line. Depending on pricing in Europe, something like the PS-274 or PS-289 (my airbrush) may be a better value.

https://www.amazon.com/GSI-Creos-Procon-Platinum-Airbrush/dp/B0030AO94U

I'm looking into this now and it seems a bit more reasonable. Annoyingly though it seems like amazon.co.uk doesn't list the PS-xxx model numbers on the listings. This one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Procon-Dou...+crios+airbrush
has FWA in the name and PS-267 stamped on the body in the pic, does it differ a lot from the one you linked, apart from the nozzle size?

I could possibly qualify for free shipping on that one too plus the hose is the right size for my compressor so I'm leaning towards one of these, thanks for the info!

I can also see there's a PS-289 there as well but for whatever reason it doesn't have free shipping which adds nearly 30 pounds to the listing and puts it almost the same price as the vaunted Badger 105 (if I got it at it's base price).