Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

bony tony posted:

Leave a Finn alone in a room, eventually he'll fight himself.

Are we talking about Finns or Feegles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Free Market Mambo posted:

I speak Finland-Swedish with an American accent. When I go to Stockholm they treat me like a very special boy.

That's, uh... That's not because of the accent.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Are we talking about Finns or Feegles

Yes.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I remember hearing about some British guy a couple hundred years ago IIRC who was both freaky strong and like a very accomplished walker. Like he covered huge distances walking and could lift a guy up one handed from a standing position sort of thing. I cannot remotely figure anything out via google though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Milo and POTUS posted:

I remember hearing about some British guy a couple hundred years ago IIRC who was both freaky strong and like a very accomplished walker. Like he covered huge distances walking and could lift a guy up one handed from a standing position sort of thing. I cannot remotely figure anything out via google though.

there's a fella called Tarrare. Not exactly the same problem (he literally ate everything always), but maybe it'll cause a bell to ring somewhere?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Daniel Lambert maybe?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Lambert

quote:

Although by his own account Lambert did not eat unusually large amounts of food, at about the time of his return to Leicester his weight began to increase steadily, and by 1793, he weighed 32 stone (450 lb; 200 kg).[5] Concerned for his fitness, in his spare time he devoted himself to exercise, building his strength to the point where he was able to easily carry five long hundredweight (560 lb; 250 kg).[10] On one occasion, while he was watching a dancing bear on display in Blue Boar Lane, his dog slipped loose and bit it. The bear knocked the dog to the ground, and Lambert asked its keeper to restrain it so he could retrieve his wounded animal, but the keeper removed the bear's muzzle so it could attack the dog.[10] Lambert reportedly struck the bear with a pole and with his left hand, punched its head, knocking it to the ground to allow the dog to escape.

Despite his increasingly large girth, Lambert remained fit and active, once walking seven miles (11 km) from Woolwich to the City of London "with much less apparent fatigue than several middle-sized men who were of the party".[7] Although not particularly agile, he was not significantly restricted by his bulk, and was able to stand on one leg and kick the other to a height of 7 feet (2.1 m).

quote:

Sensitive about his weight, Daniel Lambert refused to allow himself to be weighed, but sometime around 1805, some friends persuaded him to come with them to a cock fight in Loughborough. Once he had squeezed his way into their carriage, the rest of the party drove the carriage onto a large scale and jumped out.

quote:

all those who knew Lambert agreed that he was highly intelligent, was extremely strong physically, and, except for erysipelas and venous insufficiency (varicose veins) in his legs, did not suffer from any health problems.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Think it was one of these guys https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Barclay_Allardice

The whole family was apparently strong. I'm not entirely sure if the Tarrare guy is loving with me though.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The first flush toilets that were installed on Continental Europe were installed in Oslo (then Kristiania ), Norway in 1859. The lucky owner was a bankier named Nicolai August Andresen. In 1904 only 32 out of 7 257 houses in Oslo had flust toilets and in 2002 twenty communal apartments still had outhouses. Today there's still one nightman in Oslo who empties outhouses, primarily in the rural areas.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I love these weird 18th and 19th century eccentrics so much.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The fighter of the dayman who fills them.

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?
Speaking of tall people, in 19th century France, some freakishly large bones were discovered in a Bronze Age burial site, and it was estimated based on the size of the bones in proportion to the rest of the body that the person they belonged to would have been roughly 3.5 metres tall, or over 11 feet (for comparison, the tallest ever verified person, Robert Wadlow, was 2.72m at his peak). This of course would've been well after the emergence of modern man so for all we know, they may very well have belonged to the tallest human being to ever have lived.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_of_Castelnau

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Catboy Autonomist posted:

Speaking of tall people, in 19th century France, some freakishly large bones were discovered in a Bronze Age burial site, and it was estimated based on the size of the bones in proportion to the rest of the body that the person they belonged to would have been roughly 3.5 metres tall, or over 11 feet (for comparison, the tallest ever verified person, Robert Wadlow, was 2.72m at his peak). This of course would've been well after the emergence of modern man so for all we know, they may very well have belonged to the tallest human being to ever have lived.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_of_Castelnau

From what I remember apparently there were dozens of cases during the 19th century of giant skeletons being found, but for whatever reason they always ended up being lost or destroyed

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
^^^^^^^This.

Just as likely to be miss identified mega fauna bones that some how got into the barrow. At Parc Cwm Neolithic chambered tomb on the Gower, South Wales ice age animal bones are mixed in with the contemporary human ones. This is most likely due to the human remains being left in nearby Cathole Cove to deflesh and the earlier animal bones being collected with them for later burial.
See also how much like a cyclops skull a mammoth or elephant one looks like with the tusks removed.

E: to not entirely be a party pooper, there are iirc a series of Iron Age rich/chiefly burials in France that have skeletons of over 6' and up to 7' (though I'm not recalling their names..) Literal "big men" as local big men.

EmptyVessel has a new favorite as of 23:44 on Sep 25, 2018

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Fredrik William I of Prussia frantically pushes his way to the front of the thread and gasps "did somebody say... big men?"

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

C.M. Kruger posted:

Fredrik William I of Prussia frantically pushes his way to the front of the thread and gasps "did somebody say... big men?"

historys most prolific kidnapper of large dudes

he made them parade through his bedchambers

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

C.M. Kruger posted:

Augustus the Strong throws a fox at him

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Alhazred posted:

The first flush toilets that were installed on Continental Europe were installed in Oslo (then Kristiania ), Norway in 1859. The lucky owner was a bankier named Nicolai August Andresen. In 1904 only 32 out of 7 257 houses in Oslo had flust toilets and in 2002 twenty communal apartments still had outhouses. Today there's still one nightman in Oslo who empties outhouses, primarily in the rural areas.

The first indoor toilet in Edinburgh was installed directly in full view from the house door, so that the owner could sit on his throne and gloat at the passersby.

EDIT: At least according to the historic tour to the Edinburgh under the streets -tour guide.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Der Kyhe posted:

The first indoor toilet in Edinburgh was installed directly in full view from the house door, so that the owner could sit on his throne and gloat at the passersby.

EDIT: At least according to the historic tour to the Edinburgh under the streets -tour guide.

Whether or not it's true, it should be standard practice to this day.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Whether or not it's true, it should be standard practice to this day.

Doo doo doo, lookin' out my front door

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
One way mirror, looking in.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
When councils in the UK told residents of council houses that they were installing indoor toilets for them, the first question was usually, "isn't that a bit unhygenic?".

Also, we use the word "dustbin" because people would traditionally burn their rubbish either in their backyard/garden/back alley and scoop the dust into a metal bucket. Hence why we mostly continue to call the council workers who pick up the bins, "dustmen". I've heard younger people call them "rubbish men" but thankfully "waste service operator" hasn't caught on yet.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

duckmaster posted:

When councils in the UK told residents of council houses that they were installing indoor toilets for them, the first question was usually, "isn't that a bit unhygenic?".

Also, we use the word "dustbin" because people would traditionally burn their rubbish either in their backyard/garden/back alley and scoop the dust into a metal bucket. Hence why we mostly continue to call the council workers who pick up the bins, "dustmen". I've heard younger people call them "rubbish men" but thankfully "waste service operator" hasn't caught on yet.

Trash man.

Dustbin is a little trashcan that gets small stuff that might be in the bathroom or a bedroom that maybe gets some paper towels/tissues and qtips, but not the main on in the kitchen. That's the trash can.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

duckmaster posted:

I've heard younger people call them "rubbish men" but thankfully "waste service operator" hasn't caught on yet.

"Scullery Technician"

Dish Washer

"Transparent Surface Manager"

Window Washer

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fun fact: the word fizzle actually meant to fart quietly back in the middle ages. So if something "fizzles out", it means it ends in a slow quiet fart.

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat

Solice Kirsk posted:

Fun fact: the word fizzle actually meant to fart quietly back in the middle ages. So if something "fizzles out", it means it ends in a slow quiet fart.

this reminds me of my life.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a slow quiet fart

E: I just remembered the clathrate gun hypothesis and now I'm sad and scared

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Is the Angry Samoans song true. Did they save Hitlers cock?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ChocNitty posted:

Is the Angry Samoans song true. Did they save Hitlers cock?

No idea about Hitler's, but I do know that Rasputin's is preserved and it's rather apparent why he was Russia's Greatest Love Machine

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
The Russians claimed to have it for a long time but recent tests have shown Hitler's cock actually belonged to a woman between 20 and 40 years old.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Phy posted:

Not with a bang but a slow quiet fart

E: I just remembered the clathrate gun hypothesis and now I'm sad and scared
They largely disproved that one.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The Mighty Moltres posted:

"Scullery Technician"

Years ago, my dad was on the exec board at a hospital. My brother got a summer job washing dishes there one year, where he was jokingly given the title 'Director of Post-Catering Hygiene Services'.

re: Trash collectors in Britain, I don't hear 'dustmen' often these days though it was popular growing up. Everyone I know says 'binmen' .

There was of course the number one song in 1960, 'My Old Man's A Dustman' which is one of the most British things ever

quote:

Now here's a little story
To tell it is a must
About an unsung hero
That moves away your dust
Some people make a fortune
Others earn a mint
My old man don't earn much
In fact he's flippin' skint

Oh, my old man's a dustman
He wears a dustman's hat
He wears cor blimey trousers
And he lives in a council flat

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

drrockso20 posted:

No idea about Hitler's, but I do know that Rasputin's is preserved and it's rather apparent why he was Russia's Greatest Love Machine

That one’s pretty likely a fake

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Ugly In The Morning posted:

More anti-Russian Bellingcat propaganda

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

I'm not even going to look this up. It's a dried animal dick, isn't it?

Makes sense in that it's Russia. The Solovetsky Islands had some neat poo poo going on before getting turned into a prison camp. Not only was it among the very northernmost self-sufficient communities, with root-crops and fish farms for food, they also made cash by manufacturing ikons, reproducing religious texts by hand (continuing well into the print era), and producing prosthetic genitalia.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It’s a little known fact that Hitler actually had two balls.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

madeintaipei posted:

I'm not even going to look this up. It's a dried animal dick, isn't it?

Makes sense in that it's Russia. The Solovetsky Islands had some neat poo poo going on before getting turned into a prison camp. Not only was it among the very northernmost self-sufficient communities, with root-crops and fish farms for food, they also made cash by manufacturing ikons, reproducing religious texts by hand (continuing well into the print era), and producing prosthetic genitalia.

Yeah, probably a horse’s.

They burned Rasputin’s body pretty quickly after his death, I doubt preserving his dick was a priority.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, probably a horse’s.

They burned Rasputin’s body pretty quickly after his death, I doubt preserving his dick was a priority.

I thought they threw him in an icy river. So that dick is even more impressive when you consider the shrinkage factor.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is the unkillable Rasputin story confirmable/true?

I really want it to be

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Probably not. I think they made it up so it didn't sound like they shot a guy in the back of the head while he was eating candy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Probably not. I think they made it up so it didn't sound like they shot a guy in the back of the head while he was eating candy.

There is a theory that Russia pushed for a while which said that Rasputin was killed with a British revolver, probably by a British military intelligence agent at the Russian court. Russia (or the Soviet Union, can’t remember the date but it was after 1960-ish) was doing a whole “look at the perfidious British spy interfering in our internal affairs” thing, until somebody mentioned “James Bond” and that people outside Russia rather liked the idea of British spies all over the place.