Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Bowsette as a trans icon is powerful and good, actually

representing transitioning as a magic switch you can flip and have gigantic cans and a sexy body so straight people can honk off to you is bad, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

cheetah7071 posted:

How many mainline mario games have more than just the barest possible story? Like, odyssey and sunshine specifically?

galaxy has like, scraps of a story but what's there is pretty cool. otherwise i think for a long time people felt pretty beholden to executive stuff and none of the people calling the shots really cared about how you can do fun storytelling in mario. versus like, the lead guy in the first three paper marios pretty much driving the projects with the idea of what weird, crazy poo poo they could do next

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cowcaster posted:

representing transitioning as a magic switch you can flip and have gigantic cans and a sexy body so straight people can honk off to you is bad, though

i mean. i've seen a non-zero number of trans people who unironically like bowsette and the idea of the super crown in general as like, fun wish fulfillment, so i don't think it's that black and white

obviously that doesn't make bowsette the Universal Progressive Trans Icon but it's definitely a thing that some people find a bit of personal warmth in

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cowcaster posted:

yeah I can see someone with gender dysphoria being upset about the bowsette-transgender take

I’m still somewhat miffed by Celeste and it’s hamfisted depression thing, personally, though some fellow sufferers appreciated it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

at best it represents non-binary

but like. this is more like when japan had that trend of drawing pokemon as anime tiddy ladies

you can derive different interpretations of it, but the people conceiving of it are just drawing wank material

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The Colonel posted:

i mean. i've seen a non-zero number of trans people who unironically like bowsette as like, fun wish fulfillment, so i don't think it's that black and white

i’ve seen trans friends who like it and trans friends who don’t like it, for the reasons charlie said and for the reasons i said

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'd say it was good nintendo was getting a tans icon finally but then I remembered sylveon was trans

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
maybe the true ending of celeste should just be for the game to start over again a few days later.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

In conclusion mental health is a land of contrasts,

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

remember when something awful had a -tan designed for it

e: i'm guessing the -tan craze ended when Nep arrived as officially sanctioned tannery

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

No Wave posted:

maybe the true ending of celeste should just be for the game to start over again a few days later.

Exactly

ugh makes me angry to even think about

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The 7th Guest posted:

remember when something awful had a -tan designed for it

What the gently caress

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

i remember that one dude sa had a feud with drawing her getting punched in the stomach... weird times. Possibly in the gold mine but the links are probably all dead.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Hail SA-tan

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What the gently caress
I'm trying to think of when this happened, maybe 2007 or 2008

it was like people didn't learn from zyborne clock and gbs was all coming up with very bad ideas

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

This was way before zybourne clock... Zybourne clock was like the true end of unironic collective gbs effort.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Was it before The Demon Rush

Edit: Wow, Demon Rush was actually way after Zybourne? Memory swiss-cheesing...

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
rosalina wasn't really a character in galaxy. she said some things and pointed you at the new zones, that's about it. she became part of the nintendo pantheon because she was another tall thin blond chick and she hasn't appeared in a real way since galaxy 1. even in galaxy 2 she shows up in an ending sequence for a moment and that's that. beyond that she's just been another person to show up in tennis, kart, party, etc

she's been given less characterization than even daisy, who at least has been given the official characterization that she's kind of a rough and tumble tomboy by nintendo, even if that's been shown exactly 0 times in a real game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

rosalina is really good in 3d world

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

luckily a front page article captured this moment in time

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/you-arrrrreeee-champions/

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Coolguye posted:

rosalina wasn't really a character in galaxy. she said some things and pointed you at the new zones, that's about it. she became part of the nintendo pantheon because she was another tall thin blond chick and she hasn't appeared in a real way since galaxy 1. even in galaxy 2 she shows up in an ending sequence for a moment and that's that. beyond that she's just been another person to show up in tennis, kart, party, etc

i mean her backstory stuff in the storybook room was kinda cool

but then miyamoto hated that stuff so rip

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

I hate this

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The 7th Guest posted:

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/you-arrrrreeee-champions/

thanks I hate it

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Coolguye posted:

she's been given less characterization than even daisy, who at least has been given the official characterization that she's kind of a rough and tumble tomboy by nintendo, even if that's been shown exactly 0 times in a real game.
She also had a backstory when most mainline Mario game characters didn't have one.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Colonel posted:

galaxy has like, scraps of a story but what's there is pretty cool. otherwise i think for a long time people felt pretty beholden to executive stuff and none of the people calling the shots really cared about how you can do fun storytelling in mario. versus like, the lead guy in the first three paper marios pretty much driving the projects with the idea of what weird, crazy poo poo they could do next

Paper Mario was also made by Intelligent Systems rather than the core Mario team so I don't think it's too surprising they're pretty different

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't wanna say miyamoto rules over every mario project with an iron fist but a lot of dev teams definitely seem to have this issue where the moment miyamoto suggests anything about their game they all have to immediately say "gently caress we need to change this entirely RIGHT NOW" because he's miyamoto and you don't wanna be the guy to not do what miyamoto suggests you should do

so i wouldn't be surprised if miyamoto having maybe like, even just a mildly negative reaction to rosalina's story book stuff just caused all dev teams to not even try to touch rosalina for the next decade as a result

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
what i'm saying is let's have a peach and daisy superstar saga instead of a mario and luigi superstar saga next time ok

it should mostly involve alternating between daisy telling peach to man up and climb that hill and peach telling daisy to calm the gently caress down about (insert thing here)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

No Wave posted:

bowser's awesome but bowser's role in seven stars or thousand year door should have been the bowser we got for the past two decades, not super mario 64 bowser over and over.

Paper Peach is great because she treats being kidnapped like a vacation and messes with the villains.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Coolguye posted:

what i'm saying is let's have a peach and daisy superstar saga instead of a mario and luigi superstar saga next time ok

it should mostly involve alternating between daisy telling peach to man up and climb that hill and peach telling daisy to calm the gently caress down about (insert thing here)

the big bad steals mario's voice and then gets more than they bargained for when they realize how nice charles martinet is

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

i mean her backstory stuff in the storybook room was kinda cool

but then miyamoto hated that stuff so rip

I hated it too

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Valkyria Chronicles 4 is proving to be a lot of fun and I have appreciated the variety of missions I have so far had to deal with.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

The 7th Guest posted:

you can tell she represents sa because her back is all messed up

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Cowcaster posted:

i’ve seen trans friends who like it and trans friends who don’t like it, for the reasons charlie said and for the reasons i said

It's complicated because there are so many different motivations between each of the different fanart pieces. Some feel like they are drawn with the motivation of representing alternative bodytypes and genders positively, some just like any excuse for horny pictures, some like the idea of offending polite society. Among people who enjoy Bowsette for being transgressive, I imagine you can even divide them up between A) people who enjoy the idea of offending the status quo with something they think needs representation, and B) people who like the idea of offending people with something they think is gross

Your trans friends who like it and don't like it might both have good reasons depending on what they've seen so far

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think it might also be split on the butch "more-like-Bowser" / femme "more-like-Peach" representations

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The things everyone can agree on are shark teeth and fangs and fierce eyebrows.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

fierce eyebrows > titties imho

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm all about those teeth

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I like her hair

Motto