Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Nur_Neerg posted:

Any reason not to just keep it and apply for an unlimited too? Gets you a sign-up bonus, there's no annual fee on either, and they work nicely together for daily drivers, especially if you have a sapphire of some sort.

Can you get a sign up bonus if you already have a card of the same family though? I didn't know that. And yeah, my plan was to use the 1.5 point rewards as a daily driver, and the 3 points from the CSR on any dining/travel purchases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Fhqwhgads posted:

Can you get a sign up bonus if you already have a card of the same family though? I didn't know that. And yeah, my plan was to use the 1.5 point rewards as a daily driver, and the 3 points from the CSR on any dining/travel purchases.

Unless something's changed there in the last couple years, I've definitely gotten sign-up bonuses for both freedom cards, and use those and a CSR as my daily rotation.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Fhqwhgads posted:

You should be able to get the signup bonus for Freedom and Freedom unlimited cards, but Chase does have a specific restriction on only receiving 1 bonus from the Sapphire family every 4 years. Don't know offhand the rules for any other card families.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I’ve been wondering where the asterisk on “Eligible gas stations” in the Citi Costco card was gonna come into play, they won’t give 4% on gas purchased at King Soopers fuel since its part of a competing grocery store chain. Which led to a quick struggle of considering how to save the most on gas, weighing the benefits of fuel points, cash back, discounts.... and I decided not to game it for like $6 a month. I’ll get gas wherever but still a little disappointed.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

StormDrain posted:

I’ve been wondering where the asterisk on “Eligible gas stations” in the Citi Costco card was gonna come into play, they won’t give 4% on gas purchased at King Soopers fuel since its part of a competing grocery store chain. Which led to a quick struggle of considering how to save the most on gas, weighing the benefits of fuel points, cash back, discounts.... and I decided not to game it for like $6 a month. I’ll get gas wherever but still a little disappointed.

I've also had that issue with cards, not that specific card, and gas stations where I live because a lot of my local gas stations show up as crazy poo poo on my credit card. So I just think they don't know how to classify it. Usually they show up as like "Sunoco - #4573 Fairfax, VA" etc but the ones it doesn't catch are usually someone's last name and a large string of numbers. Presumably they are just franchises and that's whoever owns it but my CC doesn't know wtf to do with "Mohammed - 457854632587" for instance.

And much like you I'm not bothered enough to try and figure it out, I just go to the stations where I know it works usually.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

100% Dundee posted:

I've also had that issue with cards, not that specific card, and gas stations where I live because a lot of my local gas stations show up as crazy poo poo on my credit card. So I just think they don't know how to classify it. Usually they show up as like "Sunoco - #4573 Fairfax, VA" etc but the ones it doesn't catch are usually someone's last name and a large string of numbers. Presumably they are just franchises and that's whoever owns it but my CC doesn't know wtf to do with "Mohammed - 457854632587" for instance.

And much like you I'm not bothered enough to try and figure it out, I just go to the stations where I know it works usually.

I went as far as looking it up to be sure they had the right merchant code to be recognized as a fueling station and asked the representative in case it was in error. My company pays for gas anyway so it’s just my wife’s car and I’d rather she not worry about it for such little reward, it’s not a fun game for her.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I want to build credit and have never had a credit card. One suggestion was for the Amazon card since I do buy a stuff there, have prime, so 5% back. Another suggestion was since my dad was in the navy I could get a USAA card. They have cards labeled "Build Credit" but I don't know if that really does anything since I plan to pay it off every month or if it is just easier to get and should try to get a different USAA instead. Or should I just get both the Amazon and an USAA?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

CampingCarl posted:

I want to build credit and have never had a credit card. One suggestion was for the Amazon card since I do buy a stuff there, have prime, so 5% back. Another suggestion was since my dad was in the navy I could get a USAA card. They have cards labeled "Build Credit" but I don't know if that really does anything since I plan to pay it off every month or if it is just easier to get and should try to get a different USAA instead. Or should I just get both the Amazon and an USAA?

Amazon store card is nice, I would try to get the Chase Amazon card before the store card though as you can use it anywhere.
For building credit I recommend looking for a card with no annual or monthly fee, it'll be your oldest card so it would be nice to be able to leave it open indefinitely.

If you are have trouble getting approved for a standard credit card what you need to look into is a "secured" card, like the USAA Secured Card Visa Platinum I think you are talking about, however this would not be my recommendation for a secured card. A secured credit card works exactly like a normal credit card, you need to pay it off every month and if you don't pay it in full you will be charged interest. The get a secured credit card you need to leave money with the credit card company as a deposit. They keep this money for as long as the account stays open, you're not just paying in advance.

The best secured card with nothing else coming close is the Discover secured card. It earns rewards, has no annual fee, and after about a year of responsible credit use will automatically upgrade to the standard version of the card and give you back your deposit.

Another decent secured card option is the Capital One Secured Mastercard. It has no annual fee and can give you a higher credit limit then your deposit. It won't ever upgrade to a standard card though, so use it until you can get approved for something else and then close it.

Regardless of which credit card you do get, always pay your card in full every month before the due date. Carrying over a balance does not help you build credit, just keep building a history of on time payments.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

For amazon I was looking at this one, didn't even know there was a store card. I don't have much of a credit history aside from paying student loans so I don't know if getting a standard credit card will be an issue or not. Unless there is a reason not to apply unless I'm sure I will get it I guess I will apply for Amazon, and if it doesn't work go for that secured Discover. I can look at the USAA cashback after I see the first result. Does that plan make sense?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

skipdogg posted:

You should at least have a 2% cash back card for non Costco purchases

I don’t really chase rotating categories with say Discover or Chase, nor do I care about airline miles. If it’s not Costco I use a 2% back card

What’s the recommended 2% cash back card to get? I have like 5 cards to chase rotating categories, but still a lot of my purchases don’t fall into any category so I just get 1% on them.

The only one I’ve seen is the Citi Double Cash one, but I’m open to a better one if it exists.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

What’s the recommended 2% cash back card to get? I have like 5 cards to chase rotating categories, but still a lot of my purchases don’t fall into any category so I just get 1% on them.

The only one I’ve seen is the Citi Double Cash one, but I’m open to a better one if it exists.

Double cash is good. You have a few options to get one - the first is to get a card with a higher signup bonus, then product change it after a year to the Double Cash. The second is to sign up for the Double Cash directly, which usually isn't recommended since it rarely has a signup bonus. However, it currently has one of the higher ones it's offered: $150 back on $500 in purchases within 3 months.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

CampingCarl posted:

For amazon I was looking at this one, didn't even know there was a store card. I don't have much of a credit history aside from paying student loans so I don't know if getting a standard credit card will be an issue or not. Unless there is a reason not to apply unless I'm sure I will get it I guess I will apply for Amazon, and if it doesn't work go for that secured Discover. I can look at the USAA cashback after I see the first result. Does that plan make sense?

It's fine, I'd maybe try to apply for 1-2 more standard cards before settling on Discover's secured card. If you don't get approved for the Amazon card you'll receive a letter explaining why.
Any card without an annual fee and from a reputable bank/credit union makes for a fine first card.

Nerdwallet keeps a decent up to date list on recommended credit cards, one of the categories is building credit. https://www.nerdwallet.com/the-best-credit-cards#noCredit
They suggest the Capital One Platinum Credit Card, along with the Discover and Capital One Secured cards I already mentioned.

There's also a student card list if that applies to you. https://www.nerdwallet.com/the-best-credit-cards#college

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I shop at amazon constantly for home and business, and so does my wife, so I'm looking at that posted Chase Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/BT00LN946S

Then I've been bulking recently and am adding a 4th mouth to feed to the home soon. So thinking a lot about how much I spend at the grocery store. I see that AMEX for a 6% CB on US Grocery stores up to $6000. So minus the $95 fee and that nets approx $280 year. But it also get 3% at gas stations.
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/...olaffcps&MPR=03

I don't see anything else better than that AMEX for grocery or gas. The amazon card gives 2% at restaurants, and they both have 1% CB on everything else, but I don't think I'd use them for that.

Question is, do I need to worry about my credit score if I apply for both at the same time? Currently at 777 with 4 open inquiries all for the same car loan when we bought a Forester last year. I doubt it makes much of a difference, but thought I'd ask.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

itskage posted:

I shop at amazon constantly for home and business, and so does my wife, so I'm looking at that posted Chase Amazon:

Then I've been bulking recently and am adding a 4th mouth to feed to the home soon. So thinking a lot about how much I spend at the grocery store. I see that AMEX for a 6% CB on US Grocery stores up to $6000. So minus the $95 fee and that nets approx $280 year. But it also get 3% at gas stations.

Definitely get the Amazon card, it's a great bonus if you shop Amazon anyway.

Your situation is different than mine, but worth noting that the break-even on the annual fee for that AMEX is $31/week. Also only stand-alone grocery stores will code correctly for the discount. No Walmart, Sam's club, Target, not even Walmart neighborhood market in my experience. (I think Aldi works though).

For that reason, and not wanting to be pressured to spend enough to make the card "worth it" I got the Blue Cash Everyday, which is zero fee and 3% back at grocery stores. For me it has been a good choice, because much as a hate to admit it, a lot of the time we just run into Walmart supercenter for convenience, and shop for meat or whatever when I can go to a grocer with a decent butcher.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Good point. I don't think it will be a problem though. I usually do most of the grocery shopping 100-150 /wk from Weis. I shop Sam's for stuff in bulk when I can, but usually don't because of convenience. Which is unfortunate, because meat especially is much cheaper there, but I'd rather pick up some fresh meat on the way home for the next 1-2 days rather then drive all the way out there and buy bulk and have to freeze it.

Wife will do walmart's online pickup for some supplemental stuff. But the bulk of the shopping is done at a stand alone.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The new-ish Wells Fargo amex also has 3% on gas stations with no annual fee.

Since the no annual fee Blue Cash amex does 3% on restaurants the fair comparison for breaking even with the annual fee version's grocery store shopping is going to be double that $31/week number because that's what you'd have to be spending to make up the annual fee over what you'd be getting with the free version (95 / .03 / 52). Doable if you're buying for a family.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

angryrobots posted:

Also only stand-alone grocery stores will code correctly for the discount. No Walmart, Sam's club, Target, not even Walmart neighborhood market in my experience. (I think Aldi works though).

Interesting; my local Walmart Neighborhood Market counts as a grocery store for Amex category bonuses, but otherwise my experience has been the same with the other stores.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Gas is better on the Costco card, and we spend a ton of loving money at Costco, but your mileage may vary.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

The new-ish Wells Fargo amex also has 3% on gas stations with no annual fee.

Since the no annual fee Blue Cash amex does 3% on restaurants the fair comparison for breaking even with the annual fee version's grocery store shopping is going to be double that $31/week number because that's what you'd have to be spending to make up the annual fee over what you'd be getting with the free version (95 / .03 / 52). Doable if you're buying for a family.

$265/month on groceries alone is the break-even between the two cards. We don't spend that much , even though it seems like we do. (And in my case, I use my Barclay's Uber card for 4% on dining)

Nerdwallet has a calculator just to compare the Preferred/Everyday cards.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

astral posted:

Double cash is good. You have a few options to get one - the first is to get a card with a higher signup bonus, then product change it after a year to the Double Cash. The second is to sign up for the Double Cash directly, which usually isn't recommended since it rarely has a signup bonus. However, it currently has one of the higher ones it's offered: $150 back on $500 in purchases within 3 months.

Is there a link for the offer that works?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

itskage posted:

The Discover It card has amazon and wholesale clubs as its 5% category for Q4 this year, and the first year you have the card your cashback gets doubled. Only applies to $1,500 of purchases per quarter, but 10% is hard to beat.

(referral link: https://refer.discover.com/s/wflkb )

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tunicate posted:

The Discover It card has amazon and wholesale clubs as its 5% category for Q4 this year, and the first year you have the card your cashback gets doubled. Only applies to $1,500 of purchases per quarter, but 10% is hard to beat.

(referral link: https://refer.discover.com/s/wflkb )

I have Discover IT, and the first year is almost over, what is the rules about just re-applying and getting another Discover IT year?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have Discover IT, and the first year is almost over, what is the rules about just re-applying and getting another Discover IT year?

You can have two Discover cards. I just got my second Discover IT with a second year of double cash back about 4 months ago.

Going to be sad when I can't get another one.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You can have two Discover cards. I just got my second Discover IT with a second year of double cash back about 4 months ago.

Going to be sad when I can't get another one.

Can I refer my wife and get the referal bonus?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Can I refer my wife and get the referal bonus?

Yep

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I don't think the double cashback promo has been around yet for anyone to have done credit card science on it yet. Discover says it's for new cardholders, so it's possible that something like:

-> Sign up
-> 1 year of double cashback
-> wait another statement or 2 for the bonus cashback to post
-> cancel card
-> wait a year
-> reapply as a new cardholder again

might work.

People have said that referring your spouse for the referral bonus works, so probably with enough spreadsheets you can cheese the situation by alternating who's holding the card, while simultaneously having a card with a 10% bonus at either the beginning or end of every quarter.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tunicate posted:

I don't think the double cashback promo has been around yet for anyone to have done credit card science on it yet. Discover says it's for new cardholders, so it's possible that something like:

-> Sign up
-> 1 year of double cashback
-> wait another statement or 2 for the bonus cashback to post
-> cancel card
-> wait a year
-> reapply as a new cardholder again

might work.

People have said that referring your spouse for the referral bonus works, so probably with enough spreadsheets you can cheese the situation by alternating who's holding the card, while simultaneously having a card with a 10% bonus at either the beginning or end of every quarter.

It's been around for over 3 years and many people (including me) have done it twice.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 25, 2018

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's been around for over 3 years and many people (including me) have done it twice.

cool, glad to know it works

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

astral posted:

The second is to sign up for the Double Cash directly, which usually isn't recommended since it rarely has a signup bonus. However, it currently has one of the higher ones it's offered: $150 back on $500 in purchases within 3 months.

drat, I went to sign up for this today, only to see the offer appears to no longer be valid. Oh well, I guess I'll wait a bit to see if it comes back, or maybe sign up without it in a month or so. I'm not really interested in signing up for another card and product changing to this one because I'm only interested in cash back rewards. Though I guess if there's another card with a good cash back signup reward AND the ability to product change to the Double Cash, I could do that?

On another note, how long did it take people to get approved for the Uber Visa card? I applied for it Friday morning, and still have not heard anything. As someone with great credit, who usually gets approved within hours if not minutes whenever I sign up for a new card (which is not that frequently), this is very strange to me. They did say it could take up to 10 business days, I've just never had it actually take that long before.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I think consecutively hitting the 80k bonus on the Sapphire Preferred and the 100k bonus on the Sapphire Reserve within like 6-month time span as my first two big boy credit cards really spoiled me.

That was like two years ago now - are there any deals like that around? Love the benefits of the CSR but kind of tired of the hefty monthly fee now that my points are all gone.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
I wish credit card singup initial offers went away and you instead had the benefits be applied on a regular basis while keeping the card.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I've been a simple cash back card person for years with Citi Double Cash, Capital One Quicksilver, and Amazon Prime Visa, but have been thinking about doing the upcoming Sapphire Preferred + Sapphire Checking bonus combo. The only problem is the 4k in 3 months spending requirement to qualify - that would definitely be a stretch, unless there's an easy way people are working around it. Alternatively I could park an IRA at BoA to qualify for Platinum Rewards and replace the Double Cash and Quicksilver with the BoA 2.65% cash back card.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

OldSenileGuy posted:

drat, I went to sign up for this today, only to see the offer appears to no longer be valid. Oh well, I guess I'll wait a bit to see if it comes back, or maybe sign up without it in a month or so. I'm not really interested in signing up for another card and product changing to this one because I'm only interested in cash back rewards. Though I guess if there's another card with a good cash back signup reward AND the ability to product change to the Double Cash, I could do that?

On another note, how long did it take people to get approved for the Uber Visa card? I applied for it Friday morning, and still have not heard anything. As someone with great credit, who usually gets approved within hours if not minutes whenever I sign up for a new card (which is not that frequently), this is very strange to me. They did say it could take up to 10 business days, I've just never had it actually take that long before.

It took my like two weeks to get it.

That said, it's worth it. I have six phones on my ATT account, and I've already gotten two replaced on the card warranty.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
What are the safest ways to MS for bonuses? I just want to fill in the gaps between my normal spending to get the sign-up bonuses. Not looking to go too crazy beyond that.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Just got the Hawaiian Airlines card via mailer offer. $1000 spend in first 3 mos. for 50,000 miles bonus (roughly $500 value), 1-time half-off companion pass good for a round trip, and free checked bags on Hawaiian. Probably some other minor airline perks as well. $99 annual fee, issued by Barclays.

Seems like a good option if you're looking to visit Hawaii in the next year or so.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

OldSenileGuy posted:

the uber card is one of the only cards where they actually called me to ask some weird identity verification questions before they would give it to me

the other flat 2% cards are the fidelity visa which may or may not have a signup bonus and the alliant credit union card which has a fairly small bonus

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

dy. posted:

I think consecutively hitting the 80k bonus on the Sapphire Preferred and the 100k bonus on the Sapphire Reserve within like 6-month time span as my first two big boy credit cards really spoiled me.

That was like two years ago now - are there any deals like that around? Love the benefits of the CSR but kind of tired of the hefty monthly fee now that my points are all gone.

Since you're willing to play the annual fee game, the Capital one Savor is a straight up $500 bonus and does 4% cash back on dining and entertainment.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Vox Nihili posted:

Just got the Hawaiian Airlines card via mailer offer. $1000 spend in first 3 mos. for 50,000 miles bonus (roughly $500 value), 1-time half-off companion pass good for a round trip, and free checked bags on Hawaiian. Probably some other minor airline perks as well. $99 annual fee, issued by Barclays.

Seems like a good option if you're looking to visit Hawaii in the next year or so.

Was interested in this until I saw they want 190k miles for a flight from JFK (retail $7-900). Also $1000 spend must be targeted because it's 3k otherwise.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Elysium posted:

Was interested in this until I saw they want 190k miles for a flight from JFK (retail $7-900). Also $1000 spend must be targeted because it's 3k otherwise.

That's strange. Looking at bookings from California, each mile almost always gets you more than a cent.

E: It's probably because anything going out of the East Coast has a leg through one of their affiliate airlines.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

took about a week for me, then the card took its sweet time arriving in the mail