Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Critter feeding stations automate hatch farming, just filter what goes into it to sand, stone and stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

enraged_camel posted:

Let them, feed them and they poo poo coal. Pretty simple.

What is complicated is you need to make sure their living area is not overcrowded. A max size hatchery can support 9 hatches. If there are more they will become unhappy and stop producing coal.

And if there are over 9 hatches, pick the oldest and kill it - yummy BBQ.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Hatch happiness only matters for eggs. Crowding just slows down how fast they reproduce. The amount of coal they poo poo is based only on the volume of food they eat.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Hatch happiness only matters for eggs. Crowding just slows down how fast they reproduce. The amount of coal they poo poo is based only on the volume of food they eat.

Yes but if you leave them unhappy then eventually they all die of old age without laying eggs and then you no longer have a hatch farm.

Been there done that.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
I believe sage hatches can eat certain kinds of non organic matter. Mainly dirt or fertilizer, I think. Sages also produce either 75% or 100% of their consumed mass into coal, so they are far more efficient at producing coal than regular hatches.

Until you run out of material for your farms and start to starve. Not that it happened to me, nope.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Phone posting but I think sages can eat slime going from memory, or polluted dirt maybe? They did something more useful than consuming dupe food, I know I keep a few around for something like that.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Eh, slime is a useful resource. It's used as mushroom fertilizer, and can be converted into algae with polluted water as the waste. I wouldn't feed it to hatches.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

bird food bathtub posted:

Phone posting but I think sages can eat slime going from memory, or polluted dirt maybe? They did something more useful than consuming dupe food, I know I keep a few around for something like that.

They can eat basically anything organic so you can use them as a dumpster for spoiled food. Yes they can also eat polluted dirt so they can also be where the poo poo goes when you're running outhouses.

enraged_camel posted:

Yes but if you leave them unhappy then eventually they all die of old age without laying eggs and then you no longer have a hatch farm.

Been there done that.

It doesn't take much management to prevent that from happening. Really it just takes making sure you have a variety of ages. That way when a few die of old age the crowding effect goes away and the rest puke out some eggs.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Been there done that.

Like all my solutions: Murder some :black101:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ratzap posted:

And if there are over 9 hatches, pick the oldest and kill it - yummy BBQ.

Is there a way to manually kill a hatch?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Attack button's in the button bar in the bottom right. Looks like a bullseye

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, considering i basically filled my base with natgas before i asked about capping that geyser, I'm thinking of taking the same map and restarting my base. Currently, my bases typically consist of a bunch of 4x16 rooms that i cram everything into, but I'm always looking for variety, so can you goons gimme some ideas for non-standard room layouts? Most of my googling results in videos and articles and threads about the most efficient ways to do things, I'm mostly just looking for interesting room designs that fit within the constraints of the variously functioning rooms that we have to work with.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
dig a pit, run algae deoxydizers for a bit, and the natural gas will sink. it's not a lost cause.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There's the click on it and use the attack button as Splicer said but some use automatic killing pits. These are a bunch of horitontal airlocks with a water basin underneath and the meat hatches on the airlocks. When they're ripe, the locks open, hatches drown and dupes/autoloader grab the meat. Or this one which uses the locks to push fluid up over them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITzPvTvuaqs

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Disappointed that you can't use boiling oil to deep fry them

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

insta posted:

dig a pit, run algae deoxydizers for a bit, and the natural gas will sink. it's not a lost cause.

Eh... It's more that I'm using it as a flimsy excuse to start again and refine a ton of mistakes and design flaws I realized I made before. The current base was dug out way too quickly, with a bunch of useless space set up for "whenever there comes a need for it", and was all the same room sizes, squashed into a small footprint with the hope of fitting it awkwardly into the starting biome. After playing a few starts on different maps, I realize what I really want is a better set of layouts and setups for various rooms that I'll need in a base that look a bit more aesthetically pleasing than a bunch of squashed hallways. The map seed that Ratzap posted back on page 49 is really good so far, and I wanna stick with it and explore it. I just need a better base design that actually works to do so.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
i've figured out my problem with Dwarf Fort and Oxygen Not Included, which is that i really like this genre of games and i especially love the noodly early game of placing the resources just so, but i'm loving garbage at the midgame of engineering giant terraforming projects and designing machinery to automate massive food and farming plantations

how do i get better at this sort of thing?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
One death-spiralled colony failure of tears, angry vomiting and starvation at a time.

I tend to try to pick one thing, and work on that until it reaches a point of relative sustainability then force myself to move on to the next when it's done and if it wasn't actually sustainable learn a lesson or I chose the wrong thing change up my order next time. Usually something like "just started, better get to work on oxygen as that is the most immediate threat. Ok done, now what about a food stop-gap. Cool, good enough. Probably need some toilets now."

Do it enough times and I develop templates for each problem that I stick with. "Building toilets" usually comes down to deploying the same blue print for a long time until at some point I progress enough to want to do the entire lavatory in a different, more efficient way since that colony didn't blow up yet. I rebuild it for the newer design and when everything becomes a death spiral later on, I have lavatory v2.0 in my head from the start.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Jinnigan posted:

i've figured out my problem with Dwarf Fort and Oxygen Not Included, which is that i really like this genre of games and i especially love the noodly early game of placing the resources just so, but i'm loving garbage at the midgame of engineering giant terraforming projects and designing machinery to automate massive food and farming plantations

Do you have thousands of hours of free time and lots of Adderall at your disposal? If not, do what I do and look at what other people have designed and built. The game's official forums is a good place for that. After you gain some experience with them, you can start tweaking them to your liking.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
My current colony has a ton of water available, so I have two SPOMs going. I've been expanding slowly by using exosuits to mine an area, walling it in, then pumping oxygen in until it's at max pressure. Then I'll break the walls and expand my base into it.

I'm fairly efficiently tapping the extra hydrogen from it for power. My coal reserves are climbing as I'm excavating the caustic biome, since I'm not using all that much power.

My bristle farm is producing 63 happy berries per iteration. I'm about to get my pinchas up and running, heating them with my vast hot water reserves.

Wonder what's going to happen to ruin the whole thing :)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Jinnigan posted:

Minimize what you are trying to do and get good at that and then work on the harder stuff. Take stress and germs out of the game and get your colony running comfortably at cycle 50. Then go back, add germs and stress and get your colony to cycle 50. Then to 75 then to 100 and on.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
ok, i got to cycle 60 and have a SPOM up and running. running low on water. any suggestions? plenty of polluted water laying around. also found an oil... geyser?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Jinnigan posted:

ok, i got to cycle 60 and have a SPOM up and running. running low on water. any suggestions? plenty of polluted water laying around. also found an oil... geyser?

Polluted Water into a Water Sieve, then cool water. Easiest way (apart from just using the Sandbox) is to put ice filled storage compactors into your water supply. Thanks enraged-camel for the suggestion.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Jinnigan posted:

Ice.

Dig to a cold biome and dump ice into your water reservoir. If you need water NOW, you can sculpt ice blocks in the water and it will instantly melt, filling 400kg of water. You can use a storage compacter and set it to only accept ice to store it underwater.

My current map is absurd. I have found the following: A chlorine volcano, a copper volcano, an iron volcano, and a natural gas geyser (YES), but I have yet to find water. My water reserves are still stable, but I'm going to need to resort to this exact procedure to sustain my water usage while I scout out water geysers.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Jinnigan posted:

Also, be incredibly careful with a SPOM. Make sure you are cooling the air from the SPOM before you pump it into your colony, or you are going to heat your base up and suffer heat death.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Classic SPOM.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

We don't know if Jinnigan made a classic SPOM, or just a SPOM. Any oxygen generator that is self powered is a SPOM, and may or may not be cooled.

My first SPOM did not include that design. It used a separate 'cooling' room that doubled as a control room for adjusting flow rates to various parts of the base depending on need, as an example.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I found this guy's guides while googling around. What do you guys think of these building blueprints for base design? Are they good? Up to date and all that? I'm asking because i wanna copy a bunch of it for myself.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
They're fine and all are up to date apart from the suboptimal section. The coal gen room is a nice early game start though you could be like me and just keep digging deeper CO2 sinks instead of throwing together a skimmer. The natural gas gen room is fine apart from the attached polluted water cooling section (could be done in a separate place), though probably you'll be hard pressed to need that many.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

I found this guy's guides while googling around. What do you guys think of these building blueprints for base design? Are they good? Up to date and all that? I'm asking because i wanna copy a bunch of it for myself.

They're a good start.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Requesting mod to allow latrines / showers to use any liquid, but especially molten glass :getin:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Love it or hate it, anti-entropy thermo nullifiers fed by bleeding off excess hydrogen from a SPOM are really good cooling solutions. Usually what I end up with.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I still don’t know what to do with the anti-entropy thingy. Like it just doesn’t seem to be able to absorb significant amounts of heat.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

tuyop posted:

I still don’t know what to do with the anti-entropy thingy. Like it just doesn’t seem to be able to absorb significant amounts of heat.

They totally do. I built a big insulated chamber around two of them and pumped my CO2 into it. It got so cold that the gaseous CO2 entering the chamber condensed and froze before it hit the ground, effectively causing it to snow CO2 in the chamber.

I don't think you even need two of them to get that kind of cooling but it was my first time experimenting with them and the two of them were in such close proximity I figured I'd give it a try.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

tuyop posted:

I forget who it was, but their cooling is the equivalent of 100's of wheeze worts. AETN's cool a lot. A looot.

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010

tuyop posted:

Pump excess hydrogen into a insulated, sealed chamber around it. If memory serves, hydrogen is the best heat conductor of the gasses. If you can, use a high-pressure vent to get the hydrogen as dense as you can. From there you can do two things: run radiant air pipes through there to cool gasses or, if you have the power, run Thermo Regulators to cool gasses a set amount, using the chilled hydrogen to keep the regulators cool. If you want to get really fancy, you can run a coolant loop of oil through your base, and either have a liquid storage tank in the AETN's area of effect, or have an open tank that you pump out of, passing it through the AETN to cool it off.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
pfft an AETN can't even keep up with an 8.8kg/s copper volcano.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Is there some issue with the metal refinery currently? It says there's a pipe blocked, and considering I was able to fill the refinery with water, I'm assuming it's the output pipe. I've completely rebuilt the entire run a couple times, and it seems like the water gets stuck at the first pipe section coming out of the refinery. What even the heck is going on?

The 10kg of water is in the section of pipe that exits the refinery. the very next section down the line is empty. How do I fix this?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

The output pipe looks greyed out. Has it been built yet? If so, trying saving and reloading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Xand_Man posted:

The output pipe looks greyed out. Has it been built yet? If so, trying saving and reloading.

Somehow, a save and reload made it work. Thanks for that!