Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Watching trump and avenetti yell at each other on twitter makes me wish we had some roman tweets from way back.

The historians in the future are gonna have the weirdest loving job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah, pretty much.

Make all the money you want but loving spend it to fix roads or bridges or some poo poo. That's how the Romans did it.

I mean, wealth accumulation by the nobility was pretty much the main contributing factor to the collapse of both the Roman Republic and the Western empire.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Third World Reggin posted:

Watching trump and avenetti yell at each other on twitter makes me wish we had some roman tweets from way back.

The historians in the future are gonna have the weirdest loving job.

Salvius posted:

Amplicatus, I know that Icarus is buggering you. Salvius wrote this.

This one's actually from a wall in Pompeii. Actually all of these are pretty good: http://www.pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti%20from%20Pompeii.htm

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

This is the most galling thing about this administration. The Trump Admin has made too many good thinking Americans agree with poo poo heels like John McCain and Ben Shapiro. This should not stand, and would be a hanging offense in any sane country.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

M_Gargantua posted:

I wonder if there is a paper on the theoretical effects of acceleration Ian on the 1% vs Upper class vs Middle class vs Impoverished Americans with cases with and without state intervention to deliberately golden parachute the rich. Because yes everyone will be worse off but the wealthier you are he more extreme a life style change you would see. Going from $50k/yr to $30k a year sucks a lot, but it wouldn’t be quite the privilege shock of going from $10m/yr to $50k

Even that likely compares well to being dead, which is the likely outcome for the working poor / impoverished in an accelerationst model

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 26, 2018

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Brining japan into this now lol

https://twitter.com/DavidNakamura/status/1045011384382238720?s=19

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hardly likely being from the homeland of Anime.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

LingcodKilla posted:

Hardly likely being from the homeland of Anime.

https://twitter.com/swin24/status/1045018427906293760?s=19

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Well, I just went from zero to "Shinzo Abe is definitely a rapist" in 3.5 seconds.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Some older Korean woman lets her vision drift to the horizon and a single tear forms on her cheek.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

LingcodKilla posted:

Some older Korean woman lets her vision drift to the horizon and a single tear forms on her cheek.

:wow:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/jtlarsen/status/1044213710288572417?s=19

All republicans are opportunistic poo poo heels

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Casimir Radon posted:

Well, I just went from zero to "Shinzo Abe is definitely a rapist" in 3.5 seconds.

:same:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
So all these rape allegations and drugged rape parties were all in the candidate research that the President and company did on Kavanaigh right?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

aphid_licker posted:

Watching Trump run afoul of competent and determined people who are orders of magnitude smarter than him is like 30% of what I live for at this point

The rest is horse scat hentai

:chloe:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

So all these rape allegations and drugged rape parties were all in the candidate research that the President and company did on Kavanaigh right?

If not fully there, hints that he might have some problems.

Remember, McConnell told Trump he should pick someone else but president smoothbrain stuck with his choice.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

If not fully there, hints that he might have some problems.

Remember, McConnell told Trump he should pick someone else but president smoothbrain stuck with his choice.

Trump wants him cause he's young and will probably let trump get away with most of his heinous poo poo

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

They had a letter talking about how good of a classmate he was from 65 different women from his past ready to go the moment the first allegation dropped.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

None of these things are considered potentially very bad by them. Just youthful follies.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Mr. Nice! posted:

They had a letter talking about how good of a classmate he was from 65 different women from his past ready to go the moment the first allegation dropped.

That's not suspicious at all

I normally have every woman I meet sign a "not a rapist" affidavit

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

The Kavanaugh thing has brought back something that I hadn’t thought about in years. I went to high school in a fairly wealthy area in Southern California, and the “popular” kids were among the super rich, upper crust, hard drinking/partying type with way too much money and not nearly enough common sense. To give you an idea of this, there was one guy who spent tens of thousands of dollars tricking out his Suburban so that it was lifted like 4’ off the ground, then got so hosed up at a party that he ended up waking up with his truck parked on top of another parked car and a police helicopter hovering overhead. And he was actually one of the less lovely of the whole cohort.

My senior year, a scandal broke open that involved a lot of the shithead rich jocks and preppy types. They had this thing called the “31 Flavors” club, where a group of them had a competition going to see how many of the 31 hottest freshman girls they could nail (remember that a good portion of these dudes were already 18.) Some of the teachers got wind of this, and got the administration and LE involved. They never got enough hard evidence to go after them, but our senior class president ended up getting his title stripped because his booze-soaked website, which was oh so cleverly named after the school and contained pictures of him and his buddies partying, got discovered. One of the pics also involved someone “helping” a girl who went to another high school flash the camera.

This is why I have no problem whatsoever believing any accusation that places Kavanaugh at the center of a hosed up whirlpool of rich white kid entitlement and sexual assault. If these shitheads in my class thought they could get away with it- in an age where the consequences of putting dumb poo poo on the Internet were becoming increasingly profound- then imagine what a dweeb like Kavanaugh and his ilk thought they could pull off when the armor of upper class privilege and accompanying code of unaccountability was even more impenetrable.

I left high school hating anyone who drank, thinking it turned people into assholes at best and predators at worst. It wasn’t until I was nearly 21 that I realized that booze isn’t the issue, it’s the people who use it as an excuse to be the monsters they’ve always been or aspired to be.

I hope what’s happening to Kavanaugh is a shot across the bow for my former classmates and that they’re living in fear now.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The Kavanaugh thing has brought back something that I hadn’t thought about in years. I went to high school in a fairly wealthy area in Southern California, and the “popular” kids were among the super rich, upper crust, hard drinking/partying type with way too much money and not nearly enough common sense. To give you an idea of this, there was one guy who spent tens of thousands of dollars tricking out his Suburban so that it was lifted like 4’ off the ground, then got so hosed up at a party that he ended up waking up with his truck parked on top of another parked car and a police helicopter hovering overhead. And he was actually one of the less lovely of the whole cohort.

My senior year, a scandal broke open that involved a lot of the shithead rich jocks and preppy types. They had this thing called the “31 Flavors” club, where a group of them had a competition going to see how many of the 31 hottest freshman girls they could nail (remember that a good portion of these dudes were already 18.) Some of the teachers got wind of this, and got the administration and LE involved. They never got enough hard evidence to go after them, but our senior class president ended up getting his title stripped because his booze-soaked website, which was oh so cleverly named after the school and contained pictures of him and his buddies partying, got discovered. One of the pics also involved someone “helping” a girl who went to another high school flash the camera.

This is why I have no problem whatsoever believing any accusation that places Kavanaugh at the center of a hosed up whirlpool of rich white kid entitlement and sexual assault. If these shitheads in my class thought they could get away with it- in an age where the consequences of putting dumb poo poo on the Internet were becoming increasingly profound- then imagine what a dweeb like Kavanaugh and his ilk thought they could pull off when the armor of upper class privilege and accompanying code of unaccountability was even more impenetrable.

I left high school hating anyone who drank, thinking it turned people into assholes at best and predators at worst. It wasn’t until I was nearly 21 that I realized that booze isn’t the issue, it’s the people who use it as an excuse to be the monsters they’ve always been or aspired to be.

I hope what’s happening to Kavanaugh is a shot across the bow for my former classmates and that they’re living in fear now.

Every year this one rich family vacations in my town and their poo poo-head kids do everything in their power to try to get arrested, but they know they won't be. They're banned from every business and college property (leaving about 5% of the town for them to actually be in), but they know they will get away with it. Last summer they decided to start picking up some of the camp kids (by the way these assholes are in their early twenties hitting on 14-16 year olds). Finally they got cuffed for solicitation of a minor and abduction! ...and then released the next morning, no charges pressed, no consequences.

Rich fuckwad kids will do whatever they want because they know they can get away with it. Kavanaugh's no different and he and his friends had no problem bragging about it until now.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Some idiot my brother graduated with crashed his truck on a night out with his girlfriend. I don't recall whether or not they proved he was driving drunk underage or not. The cartilage in her nose gets really hosed up in the crash. So he calls his dad and they clean her up and dump her in her bed at home like nothing happened. Her nose was basically hanging off her face so their weak little cover up job doesn't work out and her parents sue them. Don't know what happened after that except the dad hired this scumbag attorney who is friends with my grandma, and he was acting like their actions probably seemed innocent and proper at the time.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV4F975Gres

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

As Nero Danced posted:

Every year this one rich family vacations in my town and their poo poo-head kids do everything in their power to try to get arrested, but they know they won't be. They're banned from every business and college property (leaving about 5% of the town for them to actually be in), but they know they will get away with it. Last summer they decided to start picking up some of the camp kids (by the way these assholes are in their early twenties hitting on 14-16 year olds). Finally they got cuffed for solicitation of a minor and abduction! ...and then released the next morning, no charges pressed, no consequences.

Rich fuckwad kids will do whatever they want because they know they can get away with it. Kavanaugh's no different and he and his friends had no problem bragging about it until now.

Trump is basically the definition of rich white kid who was handed everything in life and can only fail upwards despite being an idiot and a gently caress up.

This, unfortunately, has been true for most of human history. It's just jarring to see in the 21st century, and in a supposed advanced nation.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
We've spent decades equating wealth and success with righteousness and morality and man it's not going to go quiet into the night

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Skripal Suspect Boshirov Identified as GRU Colonel Anatoliy Chepiga

quote:

Bellingcat and its investigative partner The Insider – Russia have established conclusively the identity of one of the suspects in the poisoning of Sergey and Yulia Skripal, and in the homicide of British citizen Dawn Sturgess.

Part 1 and Part 2 of Bellingcat’s investigation into the Skripal poisoning suspects are available for background information. In these previous two parts of the investigation, Bellingcat and the Insider concluded that the two suspects – traveling internationally and appearing on Russian television under the aliases “Ruslan Boshirov” and “Alexander Petrov” – are in fact undercover officers of the Russian Military Intelligence, widely known as GRU.

Bellingcat has been able to confirm the actual identity of one of the two officers. The suspect using the cover identity of “Ruslan Boshirov” is in fact Colonel Anatoliy Chepiga, a highly decorated GRU officer bestowed with Russia’s highest state award, Hero of the Russian Federation. Following Bellingcat’s own identification, multiple sources familiar with the person and/or the investigation have confirmed the suspect’s identity.

This finding eliminates any remaining doubt that the two suspects in the Novichok poisonings were in fact Russian officers operating on a clandestine government mission.

The whole article is worth reading, Bellingcat is insanely good at this stuff :stare:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Missionary Positron posted:

Skripal Suspect Boshirov Identified as GRU Colonel Anatoliy Chepiga

The whole article is worth reading, Bellingcat is insanely good at this stuff :stare:

They let O6es do field work!?

Hah, even they're surprised:

quote:

In our source’s words, an operation of this sort would have typically required a lower-ranked, “field operative” with a military rank of “no higher than captain.” The source further surmised that to send a highly decorated colonel back to a field job would be highly extraordinary, and would imply that “the job was ordered at the highest level.”

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 26, 2018

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Brown Moses is basically an open-source journalist version of Connie Sachs from the George Smiley novels.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

less alcoholic, hopefully.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

He's going to get himself assassinated.

"Brown Moses shot himself in the back of the head a dozen times with a Makarov in an apparent suicide."

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Casimir Radon posted:

"Brown Moses shot himself in the back of the head a dozen times with a Makarov in an apparent suicide."

Yeah uhhhhh outing russian operatives is the kinda thing they dont take lightly

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I thought they where gonna assassinate him after the MH17 shenanigans.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

I thought they where gonna assassinate him after the MH17 shenanigans.

Everybody knew that was bullshit though and he just identified vehicles. Identifying a person seems like something they’d take more seriously?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I think brown moses is gonna be safe. It is better for them to have him tell nothing but truth but then label him as a crazy person. Suddenly all these truths are not true.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Donnie's doing that thing again.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1045060705412685825?s=19

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dude legit needs to go into hiding because he's gonna wind up getting some polonium tea or some poo poo from Strong Vlad.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

And lock himself in a gym bag afterwards

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Who the hell is brown moses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

boop the snoot posted:

Who the hell is brown moses

Brown Moses is a goon named Eliot Higgins. He runs Bellingcat. He's been doing a lot of really good open source reporting on stuff in the middle east and north africa for 6 or 7 years now.

• Locked thread