Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there be a poll?
This poll is closed.
Yes 125 49.02%
No 130 50.98%
Total: 255 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

nah they were cooler, now everything is designed to alienate the user from the internals as much as possible and even if you knew how it worked the software will make it as hard as possible for you to fix it yourself. it's the same thing that happened to cars I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
this is a very funny kyuu-chan page

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

homeless snail posted:

nah they were cooler, now everything is designed to alienate the user from the internals as much as possible and even if you knew how it worked the software will make it as hard as possible for you to fix it yourself. it's the same thing that happened to cars I guess

Also half the software you use is actively creating a cyberpunk dystopia

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Expect My Mom posted:

this was such a good name joke

been thinking about replaying apollo justice tbh

im still so bummed that post-AJ phoenix doesn't look at all "remember how i became a poker-playing daddy"

someone tell me he's at least written a bit rugged and i might continue the series

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

VostokProgram posted:

Also half the software you use is actively creating a cyberpunk dystopia
That sounds like it might rule really hard.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Wark Say posted:

That sounds like it might rule really hard.
spoilers it doesnt

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Also we now have the technology to institutionalize racism and other predujices even harder than before b/c everything that runs on machine learning is only as good as the data you train it on and oh look we just took the pictures from the local prison and 90% of the inmates are black because of prior racism so now we've codified it in the software too

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I don't remember exactly where I read about that happening but it's a real thing

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Otoh computers pay for my entire family's life so I guess I can't dis them too hard

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Wait are you saying algorithms aren't the answer to everything and that all human creations innately carry human prejudices?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Life sucks rear end and I don't think I can fix it alone

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Space Flower posted:

im still so bummed that post-AJ phoenix doesn't look at all "remember how i became a poker-playing daddy"

someone tell me he's at least written a bit rugged and i might continue the series
yeah i've honestly never touched the games past AJ because they looked like too much of a return to a form except apollo is chuuni now

maybe i should play them and not just replay the first four but i've heard such mixed things

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Expect My Mom posted:

yeah i've honestly never touched the games past AJ because they looked like too much of a return to a form except apollo is chuuni now

maybe i should play them and not just replay the first four but i've heard such mixed things

You are missing out on Athena, who owns.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

chumbler posted:

Wait are you saying algorithms aren't the answer to everything and that all human creations innately carry human prejudices?

I mean you can make things that don't carry your biases and prejudices but you have to make a conscious effort to do so, which means nobody does

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

I mean you can make things that don't carry your biases and prejudices but you have to make a conscious effort to do so, which means nobody does
I don't think that's possible

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

VostokProgram posted:

Life sucks rear end and I don't think I can fix it alone

Join the local knitting and communist revolution club.

I'm only half joking.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
100 years of Bowsette reign
https://twitter.com/azusa_maxima/status/1044134997186076672
https://twitter.com/mimmolka/status/1044876162391056384

Truga posted:

Join the local knitting and communist revolution club.

I'm only half joking.

:yeah:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I don't think the commies will like me, even though I kinda like them, if that makes sense

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Like when did you ever meet a leftist who likes software engineers. We're basically the devil, for good reason

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
why would commies not like a working class person??

just because computer touching pays a livable wage doesn't mean you're suddenly bourgeois.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Expect My Mom posted:

I love the original trilogy of games a lot but I wound up losing interest near the end of the first 3DS one. It felt like it was spreading itself too thin, to the point where I wish they could have just picked a single character to play as and stick with it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

Like when did you ever meet a leftist who likes software engineers. We're basically the devil, for good reason
thats only because most of us are lovely libertarians

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

homeless snail posted:

spoilers it doesnt
Spider Jerusalem lied to me! :cry:

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I like the 3DS ace attorney games a lot except for two things
1. Athena's arc is pretty much complete after Dual Destinies so she feels like a shoehorned afterthought in Spirit of Justice
2. Spirit of Justice expects you to accept a character's redemption arc despite not actually having that character redeem themselves (themself?) at all other than be kind of sad about being awful

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
fwiw I did not finish the fourth game

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/alexisparade/status/1045069929202966528

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i remember really liking AJ except when you have to watch the 50 second video of the concert like a hundred times

it is crazy to me tho that there are just two ace attorney games i never played, they just seem a little confused without shu takami writing them. Instead he's been writing the Meiji era Ace Attorney games that we'll probably never get it ever

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Expect My Mom posted:

this is a very funny kyuu-chan page

That's animal abuse

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/LaRicetta99/status/1044932056667439104?s=19

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

hamburg is hard :(

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Expect My Mom posted:

i remember really liking AJ except when you have to watch the 50 second video of the concert like a hundred times

it is crazy to me tho that there are just two ace attorney games i never played, they just seem a little confused without shu takami writing them. Instead he's been writing the Meiji era Ace Attorney games that we'll probably never get it ever

Takumi didn't write AAI2 and people think that's one of the best games in the series.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Hi squark

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Zetsubou-san posted:

i'm sorry. but aren't we all forgetting THE pink-haired cosmic horror?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also I am already experiencing spider withdrawls. Are the Kumo Desu Ga novels out in english/any good? This wait for the manga is killing me :(

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Strange Quark posted:

Takumi didn't write AAI2 and people think that's one of the best games in the series.
i've never played those either!

i've always wondered if that was true or just a case of people saying that because we never got it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
For what it's worth Spirit of Justice is my favorite Ace Attorney that's not the original trilogy. And I still think it has some of the best lightbulb moments when you figure out how a murder was pulled off. And it's a pretty solid Apollo Justice game in general, and a good finale for the Apollo Justice trilogy, since despite making Phoenix an attorney again, the 3ds games are more about his family of attorneys rather than him anyways.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 27, 2018

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Expect My Mom posted:

i've never played those either!

i've always wondered if that was true or just a case of people saying that because we never got it.

It got a fully translated patch a few years ago, so there's nothing stopping you from being able to play it. It really is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022