Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Meldonox posted:

I only vaguely recall what any of these names are, but is he seriously not using iaijutsu at all? Those are the only really visually appealing things I remember SAM getting, how's a guy gonna stand around spamming 1 2 3 instead?

If he was just spamming 123 he'd be doing substantially better than what he is actually doing here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I always wonder how people like that manage to beat solo duties and stuff that doesn't let other people kill things for them.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Also, only 91 attacks over the course of the fight :psyduck:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Brainamp posted:

I always wonder how people like that manage to beat solo duties and stuff that doesn't let other people kill things for them.
Don't those all get echo if you fail at them enough times

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Every EX primal is an order of magnitude easier than Savage content and you've been seriously missing out on the most fun fights all expansion.

Like, I've got war stories from O3S, but Byakko EX is fun and easy.

I have zero desire to spend more than 30 minutes learning a fight. Hence, I stop at normal modes.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Brainamp posted:

In cases like that, I just assume it's someone's kid sibling or their young child getting a turn at the controls. People who are actively playing poorly by themselves are completely unexceptional in their underperformance.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I have zero desire to spend more than 30 minutes learning a fight. Hence, I stop at normal modes.
Same, but instead with spending more than 30 minutes watching other people try and fail to learn a fight.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
One time in Ramuh normal I witnessed a dragoon who used no attacking moves other than Ring of Thorns and Piercing Talon

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Rerolling to set right what once went wrong.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

cheetah7071 posted:

Byakko and Suzaku both suck because of their dumb, long, unfun phase transition minigames that you have to do every single time you wipe while learning the fight

I found Suzaku's refreshingly short.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Phone posted:

Sounds like someone hasn’t listened to many Soken/Primals tracks. :v:

I haven't really gone out of my way to listen to most of the ARR tracks. From what I can tell the Shiva one's lyrics seem completely reasonable, if a bit cheesy (but cheesy in the way you might see from actual natively English music).

Clarste posted:

Yeah, I think it's pretty clear that the songs aren't being translated, they're just written in either English or Japanese originally.

Oh, they're really obviously written directly in English, but a lot of songs that are written directly in English by Japanese people still have an awkward sort of tempo to them; like the grammar will all be correct, but stuff will just sound "off" (a lot of Shiina Ringo's English stuff is a good example of this).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 27, 2018

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
The game's lyrics range the gamut from understandable (Oblivion), to incomprehensible (Rise, eScape), to literally gibberish (Ultima).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Saigyouji posted:

The game's lyrics range the gamut from understandable (Oblivion), to incomprehensible (Rise, eScape), to literally gibberish (Ultima).

Looked up the lyrics to Rise, actually laughing outloud.

quote:

Thirty thousand goblins gonna solve the goblins' problems, 'cause the

Problems of the goblins goin' rotten till they solve 'em, yeah the

Thirty thousand goblins gonna solve the goblins' problems, with a

'Splodin smashin' bashin' whackin' crackin' smackin' kind of chaos

Believe it or not, these lyrics aren't awkward in the way I was talking about. These lyrics might be incredibly goofy nonsense, but they're fairly grammatically sound and from what I can tell the words/phrases are said in a normal way.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Metal is also great that way, since it's all grammatically correct... as gobbie talk.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
After the lyrics to Rise came out, I'd try to type the chorus in time with it while tanking 12N.

People either loved it or hated it. There was no middle ground.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Thundarr posted:

Metal is also great that way, since it's all grammatically correct... as gobbie talk.
Metal is a godsdamned masterpiece.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thundarr posted:

Koji's story about Metal is that he invented all of the lyrics while fighting to stay awake on the very last train home from the central office every night when they were pulling 80+ hour workweeks to finish up HW. I believe him.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Saigyouji posted:

I thought Ultima was Latin.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

A latin-esque chorus that is actually complete gibberish is a JRPG tradition.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well Rise of the White Raven is at least real Latin, right?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think this fight with Zenos is the first time the WoL has canon lost a fight.

Pissed me off, I doubt this scrub was as strong as Nidhogg or various other people I've hosed up.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
end game spoilers:
https://giant.gfycat.com/FoolishLegitimateAstarte.mp4

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ytlaya posted:

Pissed me off, I doubt this scrub was as strong as Nidhogg or various other people I've hosed up.

Hraesvalgr softened Nidhogg up for you. Zenos actually is a genuine badass (you might also have noticed he was level 70).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Zenos grinded to 70 immediately on Stormblood's launch. (Seriously, look at his level. It's listed as 70.)

There is actually a decent reason why he's able to kick your rear end, though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Thundarr posted:

Hraesvalgr softened Nidhogg up for you. Zenos actually is a genuine badass (you might also have noticed he was level 70).

Well, what about Thordan or Bahamut Prime or various other people, I bet he isn't as strong as them. His hair also looks greasy and unwashed.

Dude even has this goofy katana-holder that looks like it weighs 300lb.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Um, it's 400 lbs, actually. And Zenos always washes his hair.

With the blood of his enemies. :colbert:

More seriously, Bahamut Prime was not Bahamut at full power since he was still recovering from being Saitama'd. Thordan should be stronger, but apparently he's canonically a wimp after he uses Ultimate End? I prefer Thordan EX as the canon battle, honestly.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
drat, you sailed through 4.0 pretty drat quick.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Vermain posted:

Koji's story about Metal is that he invented all of the lyrics while fighting to stay awake on the very last train home from the central office every night when they were pulling 80+ hour workweeks to finish up HW. I believe him.

It's kinda sad how Yoshi-p was all "The team is kinda burnt out, so we're all going to take a small break after 3.0" but the community screeching over having to wait a couple of more weeks for 3.1 his response was "No more breaks for us I guess"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Canonically Level 70 trick is one of the funniest gimmicks they've ever done in this game to me, and is taken 100% seriously

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Zenos has other reasons for why he's so swole that get covered later in the story, but the "oh yeah he's level 70" is still a funny meta joke.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You know, I just thought of something.

(Stormblood spoilers and such from 4.0 - 4.4)

Fordola was able to match the Warrior of Light with one Resonant eye. Zenos had two, which he never used until he fused with Shinryu; anime logic suggests his version would be stronger since he has it in two eyes. If Zenos had the Resonant on the whole time, how hard to beat would he have been? Is this why Elidibus is convinced he can kill the Warrior of Light? :tinfoil:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Tried to level monk some more tonight but despite loving the style and animations I have a real hard time keeping engaged with the class.

I think part of it is that its the last real hold-over in heavy positional focus but most of it is that by level 54 you've basically seen the whole job. Everything else is a tool to make chakras happen faster or a button you're never going to press. It's difficult to feel excited about leveling up when my big 60 capstone is an attack that for all intents and purposes kills you and the 70 one is a raid buff that just lets you jam on the chakra button more.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 27, 2018

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Do you want a Moggle Mog? Cause that's how you get a Moggle Mog.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
Please do not make fun of Zenos's golf bag of katanas thanks

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Phone posted:

drat, you sailed through 4.0 pretty drat quick.

This is near the beginning of 4.0, if you're referring to me. When he attacks Rhalgr's Reach.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Only by technicality.

Soken posted:

It kills me to be the bearer of bad news, but we have special software for generating sounds that resemble vocals, and I used its random feature to create the song. I selected a standard preset based on Latin, so the language used is probably Latin.

Rise of the White Raven is, in fact, actual Latin, though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Tried to level monk some more tonight but despite loving the style and animations I have a real hard time keeping engaged with the class.

I think part of it is that its the last real hold-over in heavy positional focus but most of it is that by level 54 you've basically seen the whole job. Everything else is a tool to make chakras happen faster or a button you're never going to press. It's difficult to feel excited about leveling up when my big 60 capstone is an attack that for all intents and purposes kills you and the 70 one is a raid buff that just lets you jam on the chakra button more.
Jamming on the chakra button is the most fun part about playing monk though, so brotherhood is incredibly good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
"5 seconds isn't really a long cooldown" you say

it's an eternity.

Ytlaya posted:

This is near the beginning of 4.0, if you're referring to me. When he attacks Rhalgr's Reach.

whoops...