Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I wish GGGC the best on his gubernatorial bid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

By the way, that Reddit thread some folks excerpted from is an incredible goldmine. Absolutely worth browsing:
https://old.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/8t4wry/what_is_the_poorest_financial_decision_you_have/

normal contact
Mar 19, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

By the way, that Reddit thread some folks excerpted from is an incredible goldmine. Absolutely worth browsing:
https://old.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/8t4wry/what_is_the_poorest_financial_decision_you_have/

quote:

My in-laws currently own 16 timeshares.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
God, a lot of those start with a divorce or an inheritance.

People do some foolishness when their emotions run wild!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

My favorite so far is the divorcee who blew the full sum of her $1.5m payout on vacations, consumer garbage, a cabin without utilities, and on establishing a large alpaca farm at the behest of her new boyfriend.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Oh you can lose much more than 10% in the past 9 months.

Forgive the self post, but let me share my credentials with you

Note the date!

:suicide:

What bank do you use

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

More:

On a much smaller scale than a lot of the examples here, but...

I work in aerospace fabrication. We use a lot of tools and a lot of our techs have their own tools. There's this one company called Snapon who operates tool trucks that cruise around and peddle their wares... and while they tend to make a very nice tool, they're basically the 'Rolex' brand of Tools. 20% tool, 80% 'brand'. They're what you buy when you either make so much money that you don't care (like a pro motorsports team)... or you need to generate expenses to write off on your taxes (like, a fabrication shop)... or you're financially illiterate and don't understand the relationship between cost and value when it comes to tools (a poor, low level technician)...

Saw a lower level tech who made $30,000 a year (with 3 kids, who drove a 20 year old truck that occasionally worked) purchase a $15,000 tool box on credit. Mind you, just the box. No tools inside. Just the box.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Some people

quote:

Saw a neighbor of mine pull up to his house in a nice new car. For context, they were pretty well off money-wise, but what he did still blew me away.

Second the car's engine stops, his wife comes running out of the house, yelling at him about buying a new car (reasonable). Guy gets upset, said the old one was getting..well, old..wife keeps going about the insane decision to just buy a new car.

So at this point, theres a few things the guy could have done to ease the situation

1- Take his wife inside and work it out in private 2- Return the car 3- Admit he made a mistake

But no, he takes out a gun, and unloads an entire magazine right into the hood, into the side, and through a window. Because that's what normal people do. The whole drat neighborhood had people looking outside, his wife was screaming bloody murder, and the dude just calmly walked inside.

I moved out of the neighborhood shortly after.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Well he's certainly practical. You have any idea how much it would cost to have a vet euthanize a car like that? Putting it out of its misery and burying it in his front yard is probably GWM at that point.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

:signings:

I bookmarked this thread for reading ages ago, but only reading the last three pages has made me feel like I went on a week long bender.

Vox Nihili posted:

More:

On a much smaller scale than a lot of the examples here, but...

I work in aerospace fabrication. We use a lot of tools and a lot of our techs have their own tools. There's this one company called Snapon who operates tool trucks that cruise around and peddle their wares... and while they tend to make a very nice tool, they're basically the 'Rolex' brand of Tools. 20% tool, 80% 'brand'. They're what you buy when you either make so much money that you don't care (like a pro motorsports team)... or you need to generate expenses to write off on your taxes (like, a fabrication shop)... or you're financially illiterate and don't understand the relationship between cost and value when it comes to tools (a poor, low level technician)...

Saw a lower level tech who made $30,000 a year (with 3 kids, who drove a 20 year old truck that occasionally worked) purchase a $15,000 tool box on credit. Mind you, just the box. No tools inside. Just the box.

I'm assuming we're talking some kind of jumbo tool cabinet right? Because what the hell kind of storage setup costs $15k? Please tell me. Actually, I'm going to go looking, hold on...

Ok, so this is apparently what he bought? Because while this is more understandable for that price point (but not by much, at least from a white collar poor's perspective), it still begs the question what the hell a low level tech is going to do with it. Mind you, this is what making me boggle, not the divorced alcoholic phd with a Pomeranian popsicle from the other page.

Actually, how the gently caress do you have degrees in both law and psychology and be completely unable to just wash your hand of your midlife crisis restaurant and go back to schlepping cases?

totalnewbie posted:

Some people

Was this in Florida? Because it sounds like Florida.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Vox Nihili posted:

Only $15,000? I bet all the other guys in the shop make fun of him for his tiny truck toolbox.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CannonFodder posted:

Restaurants are a good way to turn a large pile of money into a small pile of money. They are also a good way to turn a small pile of money into a large pile of money. Hard work, good business sense, and luck are all factors. In a lot of the BWM tales the vanity restaurants tend to have absent or barely working owners and they fail quickly. And alcoholism is rampant in the industry so that takes a toll.

This is a good time to bring up a classic from the BWM hall of fame: https://torontolife.com/food/restaurant-ruined-life/

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

From the reddit thread, this one is just cute

quote:

One of my friends got a loan for tuition in college. Paid for his classes and had about $300 left over.
So he goes to the mall and buys a samurai sword from one of those knife shops. Then he buys a box of Hugs, these little juices for kids that come in small barrel shaped plastic bottles.
He proceeds to throw the Hugs into the air and cut them in half with the sword in a Kroger parking lot at 11 P.M.
Note, he was unemployed at the time and spent about $260 of the $300 on this parking lot slaughter fest.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

That reddit thread is pure fukken magic.

My grandfather went to a wedding that chartered everyone from a hotel in Auckland to like 2 hours away in HELICOPTERS. Yup, there was a parade of like 30 helicopters taking people to a drat wedding. $100,000+ outfits, multiple for different events throughout the day, booking A-list celebrities to sing, 20 foot ice sculptures, flown in chefs and top shelf open bars, [b posted:

that wedding had to have cost the family at least $5m[/b], Indian weddings are 3 day long affairs too

quote:

So I was a teller line manager in college. One day this 19 year old kid comes in with a check for like $350k. Obviously this is unusual so I start to chat him up to make sure he wasn't getting scammed or something (this was when the Nigerian prince scam was just starting out). Turns out his dad had died and this was the life insurance check he got. So I'm like "well it sucks that your dad died but at least he thought ahead to take care of you, let me set you up with one of our advisers and if you play your cards right you'll be retired comfortably by 40". Nope, he says "I'm buying all my friends cars". And he did. The worst part is he didn't even buy them good cars, he was buying OK used cars (like a 7 year old Civic). He came in every couple days for like 3 months to get a couple cashiers checks for like $6500 to buy each of his friends several cars. By the end of the 3 months the money was gone.

:awesome:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

MisterOblivious posted:

Only $15,000? I bet all the other guys in the shop make fun of him for his tiny truck toolbox.

You work all day with nothing to show but a number in a bank account. Meanwhile, he's building box equity every drat month.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
This thread is on loving FIRE this week.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Quick, somebody make it all about them

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Having a kid with an opioid addiction is bad with money. This couple lost their retirement savings due to their son's addiction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNj89ohoYQ0

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Nirvikalpa posted:

Having a kid with an opioid addiction is bad with money. This couple lost their retirement savings due to their son's addiction:

Yeah that, unfortunately is more sad with money than bad with money.

In schadenfreude news, from that reddit thread.

quote:

There are companies that help try and get people out of time shares now - since it is so difficult.

I think one is called Timeshare Exit Team

I look forward to the next financial crisis where the middle class is crushed under timeshare fees and subprime auto loans.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

How loving hard is it to not buy a timeshare? Like, honestly.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Hoodwinker posted:

How loving hard is it to not buy a timeshare? Like, honestly.

You would be silly to not buy two!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Now leasing a timeshare, that's where the savings are!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Guest2553 posted:

That reddit thread is pure fukken magic.

:awesome:

Guy who bought cars for everyone was at least being a good dude, I guess. A 7 year old Honda is a pretty solid investment.

Maybe BWM for himself, but at least he's not helping them buy timeshares or something. Obviously, invested, it could have provided maybe better long-term benefits, but that doesn't help his out his friends now (assuming they're in need of help).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Helping people is one of the best things you can do with money.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Yes, please all help yourselves to give it all to me, for instance.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah that, unfortunately is more sad with money than bad with money.

What's the difference?

But seriously, I feel so bad for all these parents who have to struggle with their kids' addictions. I wonder what I would do in this situation. The "good with money" choice is to kick your kid out but I don't know if I could do it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Nirvikalpa posted:

What's the difference?

But seriously, I feel so bad for all these parents who have to struggle with their kids' addictions. I wonder what I would do in this situation. The "good with money" choice is to kick your kid out but I don't know if I could do it.

You'd continue to bail them out "just this one last time" until your marriage fell apart and your new wife gives you an ultimatum of cutting off the deadbeat kid or losing her as a partner

Then the kid ends up homeless!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

My spam email folder has offered up this delightful moment of zen:

A Nigerian Prince spam I received:

quote:

Hello Dear,

It's my pleasure to write you. I'm delighted to present to you this wonderful supply and business opportunity which will be of mutual benefit to us. My client was a commodity supplier to Captains of industry in Europe and America, unfortunately we lost him. Even-though gone, his business windows remain open and opportunities are sure for you to come in to replace him.

He had no relatives known to us as he lived a better part of his life in Europe. I am the manager of his account where his business cash flow runs. Since his death, his account running over $4,300,000 remains untouched.

The source of this deposit can be traced to supplies and business chain. However, there are goods worth over $310,000 which he didn't supply till his demise. We have reached out for his relatives to come forth but nobody has laid claim to his business empire. All his customers are worried, also the bank is at the verge of confiscating his account together with the funds in it since no one has come for claim, and this is where you come in. I want to present you to our bank as his relative and partner in business.

Also, i shall introduce you to his market network so that you can take up the supplies and businesses. After due verification, the bank shall release his money to you from his account which is already dormant in the
bank. Once this is achieved, i will then link you to his big clients to assume supply contracts in his stead. As for me, for every income earned from the supplies, i ask to be apportioned 40% of the net profit. In the same vein, when the bank releases the $4,300,000 to you, i will be entitled to 40% also. If you have any question regarding this, feel free
to ask and i wont hesitate to provide answers accordingly. I assure you that legal steps will be taken to ensure legitimacy in claim. Let me know what you think. I await your response.

Best regards,
Shazib.
It's your run-of-the-mill scam, but I'm really tempted to start a band called "Captains of Industry" now.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Vox Nihili posted:

quote:

I had a friend cash out all of his stocks and savings so he could spend $100k on his own online marketing business. He had no prior experience and no clients lined up. He had about 4 clients over the course of 2 years, one of whom never paid him.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Mocking Bird posted:

A lot of the trades are brutalizing to your body and many are extremely susceptible to economic forces, like builder associated trades during a recession, manufacturing trades when a factory closes, and oil associated trades during a price drop.

Many of my family started in blue collar, well paid trade jobs with unions and they all got punched directly in the gut in 2009 and haven't really recovered even though the work is available again. The white collar workers in my family weathered a lot better by taking part time or lower paid jobs in the meantime, and climbing back up when the opportunity came back.

It's also very hard to be a 50+ construction worker

That's why most of the folks I used to know in the food industry got out as well. Once you're pushing 40, your knees and back are trash and the lifestyle starts to eat you alive.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

BMan posted:

From the reddit thread, this one is just cute

The last few pages of this thread have been told, but this is my favorite :

A. loving hysterical
B. $300 is a low amount to throw away compared to others

The only BWM is I’m assuming he didn’t have anyone film it.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
A bunch of stats about what people earn in the "gig economy":

quote:

average monthly platform earnings among drivers fell steadily at a rate of about 1.4 percent per month from the fourth quarter of 2013 to the first quarter of 2018, such that by March 2018, had fallen by 53 percent from their peak value

Something a bit less dry to make up for it:

Help me straighten out my footloose lifestyle and get an auto loan

quote:

Howdy,
I've basically been living my whole 29 years of life like a crusty bum wavering between periods of unsavory illegal "employment" and legal but low-paying employment, namely ranching/cowboying. I tend to move around a lot, and when I have been in the same spot for more than a year I'm not making more than about $1200/month gross income. I always own POS rustbucket trucks and I'm tired of feeling like I might die at any moment when I'm driving, so I'm trying to secure a loan for my dream truck (2nd gen 12v Dodge diesel, ~$10-$15,000)

(his dream truck ceased production in 1998)

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
To be fair there's barely been a decent truck made since the 90s

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
those trucks are basically indestructible and are actually a really good choice for what he wants - of course the better choice is continuing to buy poo poo beater trucks

he ain't getting a loan for that truck though

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

Nirvikalpa posted:

Holy poo poo. The comments.

I work in video production for government contracts. The amount of money you can get on gigs can be obscene. I'm not surprised that only 10% of gig workers stay positive at the end of the year. So many of them in video that I have met over the years are still mystified by taxes. Every loving April "Oh my god I owe like 15k!?" 1099's require discipline many seem to lack.

DEMAG fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 27, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
dawg the Gig Economy is not what you do it's like taskrabbit and uber and poo poo like that

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My Uber driver was telling me his life story and boy was it bad.

First off he mentioned his nephew was going to Full Sail for video game design and was excited for that. He then goes on to tell me that he got a general discharge from the Army instead of medical after an injury from a barracks push-up contest because he instinctively said no to being prescribed ADHD medicine since his recruiter had told him not to say he had ADHD. The army said he wasn’t following medical orders and booted him out. No GI bill and no VA benefits. Sucks because he has some sort of disorder where he can’t form memories using pictures or the like and essentially has no solid short term memory because of it. Has a newborn and is just trying to get by.

I felt bad for the guy because he was really nice but yeesh.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

That's why most of the folks I used to know in the food industry got out as well. Once you're pushing 40, your knees and back are trash and the lifestyle starts to eat you alive.

So the food industry is physically destructive, frequently combined with extremely unhealthy eating and drinking habits, and pays poo poo compared to skilled trade labor

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.
Yeah I get that from the article. Video grips, AC's, DP's, Gaff's are gig employees of a similar type. Most of them bring an inherent lack of money saavy and a general disdain for getting one of those life draining full time jobs. I wouldn't be surprised if they start offering there services on taskrabbit in the next few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I saw a elderly black man making copies the other day, and he was writing a letter to the IRS.

Something along the lines of "actually YOU owe ME money as reparations for my ancestors picking cotton". No idea how much he owes the government, but that's not going to end well for him.