Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Anidav posted:

Free market think tank the Institute of Public Affairs has today called on the Morrison Government to privatise the ABC in light of allegations of editorial interference by ABC Chair Justin Milne.

“This episode proves once and for all that, despite its claims otherwise, the ABC is in no way ‘independent’,” said IPA Director of Communications, Gideon Rozner.

quote:

Free market think tank the IPA has today called on the Morrison Government to introduce a Federal ICAC in light of allegations of ministerial misconduct.

“This episode proves once and for all that, despite its claims otherwise, the parliament is in no way independently investigating such complaints”.

Also, this is the stupidest angle. LNP are interfering with ABC independence, the only solution is to get rid of the ABC and ignore the political interference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Sack the entire board imo, get rid of the mining industry stooges Turnbull appointed.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The IPA would call for the banning of women to deal with domestic violence, sexual assault, rape etc.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

hambeet posted:

yeah gently caress kennett, but serious chat: forced council amalgamations. good / bad?
Bad AND Nonsense. I've pointed this out before. The rate payer base in virtually all councils and definitely in urban councils has increased massively since most were established. The very notion that they are unsustainable due to small size is laugh out loud ridiculous. I did the figures on Bankstown council a while back and you'd have to be a brain dead sub human to believe the claim that councils needed to be amalgamated for efficiency. Where it has been done in NSW it seems to be a completely ham fisted move to appoint administrators and push through unpopular State projects effectively eliminating the level of local government from the decision making process.

Ask anyone who proposes it to show you the numbers.

https://profile.id.com.au/canterbury-bankstown/population

Only shows the five year numbers but you get the picture. Combining Canterbury and Bankstown was ridiculous.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Amoeba102 posted:

The IPA would call for the banning of women to deal with domestic violence, sexual assault, rape etc.
Steady on. We don't want to ban them! That's absurd! Removing all their rights and making them chattels however, that's just common sense.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

newcastle city council and midwest regional council should be forced to amalgamate with each other and also with my fat rear end

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anidav posted:

*IPA rushes in breathlessly* HOW ABOUT PRIVATIZATION GUYS THAT WOULD FIX IT

Thank heavens, I'm sure we'd almost forgot about it, aren't they USEFUL.

smacfm
May 7, 2018
lol at the idea Australia's media market is competitive. I guess the IPA will come out in support of ownership regulation then? Ha ha? Hah?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Scummo doing a presser in a Hurley cap atm

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

*burns Hurley jumper*

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Make the IPA a public property as a honeypot to send people to the gulags. Or guillotine, one or the other.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Amoeba102 posted:

They'd also call for lower taxes, the repeal of 18C, and the privatisation of the ABC to deal with domestic violence, sexual assault, rape etc.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Milne has resigned as the chairman of the ABC.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

Doesn't he know that he's killing sales for businesses like that by wearing their gear?

drunkill posted:

Milne has resigned as the chairman of the ABC.

lol Milne was desperate for Guthrie's job and now it has back fired spectacularly for him. Good.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/leighsales/status/1045128075430612992

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

nice.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
lmao

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Albogood.jpg

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Cant even nepotism properly mr. Speakah

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
He will just get another job from daddy Turnbull and be rich forever, who cares.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Cartoon posted:

Bad AND Nonsense. I've pointed this out before. The rate payer base in virtually all councils and definitely in urban councils has increased massively since most were established. The very notion that they are unsustainable due to small size is laugh out loud ridiculous. I did the figures on Bankstown council a while back and you'd have to be a brain dead sub human to believe the claim that councils needed to be amalgamated for efficiency. Where it has been done in NSW it seems to be a completely ham fisted move to appoint administrators and push through unpopular State projects effectively eliminating the level of local government from the decision making process.

Ask anyone who proposes it to show you the numbers.

https://profile.id.com.au/canterbury-bankstown/population

Only shows the five year numbers but you get the picture. Combining Canterbury and Bankstown was ridiculous.

Dunno about other cities but there's a local council here in WA which has increased its population by less than twenty people, despite there being a city infill target.

The whole council situation in WA is a bit poo poo - some have complied with state government infill targets, while others have refused because it "reduces the amenity". Of course, the refusals are from extremely small council areas, close to the inner city, populated by rich people. On the one hand, I get it. On the other - the conversation needs to move away from "no we don't want any infill" to "how can we better use our space so we do our share while maintaining the character of the area". And sadly they can't do that when all the people in the area have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo and letting other councils do the heavy lifting.

Edit: that's not to say I'm all for council amalgamations, just I could see it sometimes being necessary to dilute blatant NIMBYism.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
The goal here may not be to punish a rich idiot but to safe guard an important public institution from undemocratic right wing fuckery

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

froglet posted:

Dunno about other cities but there's a local council here in WA which has increased its population by less than twenty people, despite there being a city infill target.

The whole council situation in WA is a bit poo poo - some have complied with state government infill targets, while others have refused because it "reduces the amenity". Of course, the refusals are from extremely small council areas, close to the inner city, populated by rich people. On the one hand, I get it. On the other - the conversation needs to move away from "no we don't want any infill" to "how can we better use our space so we do our share while maintaining the character of the area". And sadly they can't do that when all the people in the area have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo and letting other councils do the heavy lifting.

Edit: that's not to say I'm all for council amalgamations, just I could see it sometimes being necessary to dilute blatant NIMBYism.

Fire peppermint grove into the sun.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

hiddenmovement posted:

The goal here may not be to punish a rich idiot but to safe guard an important public institution from undemocratic right wing fuckery

Who do you think the replacement will be?

hooman posted:

I liked watching WAFL in peppy grove when I lived in Perth.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

hooman posted:

Only if you promise to take Dalkeith with it as well.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

I liked watching WAFL in peppy grove when I lived in Perth.

Bourgie posting

NPR Journalizard posted:

Only if you promise to take Dalkeith with it as well.

Correct posting

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Guthie and Milne are both gone and nothing of value was lost.

This has been a win-win.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Lid posted:

Guthie and Milne are both gone and nothing of value was lost.

This has been a win-win.

till Bib Katter is appointed as the ABC director

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
It would be a much better win if there were a Fed Election much sooner than May so the LNP didn't have time to arrange for another two dropkicks to take their places

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

On the topic of backfires:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/sep/27/wentworth-byelection-clover-moore-backs-licia-heath-in-snub-to-kerryn-phelps

Hopefully this will help fuel the backfire for Phelps

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/abc730/status/1045142228417441792

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Of course they've never been explicitly told, it was just understood, nod nod, wink wink between people how things should be handled and what was making the master unhappy.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Moore famously fell out with Phelps, her deputy on the city of Sydney council, in 2016. A number of policy disagreements, including Phelps’ public support for the licensing and registration of bike riders (which Moore had strenuously opposed) sowed the seeds of the falling out.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

hooman posted:

Of course they've never been explicitly told, it was just understood, nod nod, wink wink between people how things should be handled and what was making the master unhappy.

that or he's just been told what to do in a face-to-face meeting

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/MirrorPolitics/status/1044553176857366529

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

A true British hero

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Mad as Hell has been real good this season.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

:same:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

So she tricked everyone into thinking she was a tree tory, and then once she got remotely near a position of authority couldn't hide it anymore and went full tory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Honestly compulsory bike registration seems like a good idea, just like compulsory bike helmets.

• Locked thread