Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

lol if you think the ALP has anything even close to the amount of courage to take on news corp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

bandaid.friend posted:

Slang dictionaries sell out across the country as Australia desperately struggles to comprehend the Prime Minister
http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnists_ezorn/2014/05/how-to-talk-like-c-montgomery-burns.html

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
why would the ALP waste their money challenging News Corpse?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Imagine how Are Scotty is feeling, you look a right chump for taking the PM job now, eh Sisyphus.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Anidav posted:

I just find it confusing trying to get a club together and one guy is over there and another guy is there and no one wants to switch because they are lazy so you end up with scattered memberships and no action. Ahem has outsourced art dept and pagination to India and no one is complaining, subscription sales used to be full time and is now casual and ahem is axing anyone who wants full time back and I'm the only one thinking about the slow creep of bullshit towards where I sit. Hoping I can find higher up position or stay long enough for it to be a resume polisher.

I know. It's stupid and makes it way more difficult than need be. The main problem is if MEAA decided to cover a salesperson and they got sacked, their ability to represent that worker would be challenged successfully at FWC.

The flip side of this is when you have cross coverage and bosses trick the workforce into union shopping or just cut a nice deal with the weaker/nicer secretary for membership and it all fucks up that way instead. I do wish everyone had a fighting union like MEAA for journos or NUW for warehousing. Would be a better situation across the board.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

lol if you think the ALP has anything even close to the amount of courage to take on news corp.

I wish someone had the loving courage to.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

A good article, I'm glad he took time out of his concession speech to write it.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

The ALP will never maintain power for any significant amount of time without doing something about our hosed up media situation. Realistically I know they won't even try though. Instead they will focus on getting a few small victories through, that will then be rolled back or sabotaged by the next LNP government.

But I want bigger and bolder moves. The overwhelming concentration of power means that there aren't that many individuals and institutions propping the LNP up. They should be under constant attack from every possible angle.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
The Guardian published an article a couple of days ago about about Murdoch and how things might change when Rupert carks it and Lachlan takes over. Does not look promising.

quote:

During Lachlan’s time in Australia he also established some of his own political connections. Said to be even more conservative than his father, Lachlan gravitated to that side of politics.

His wife, Sarah, launched Tony Abbott’s autobiography, Battlelines, in 2009. When Abbott’s prime ministerial career came to an abrupt end in 2015, Lachlan was among the 20 close friends (almost half of them were from News Corp) who honoured him at the Australia Club in Sydney. The relationship endures.

According to the Australian’s former editor Chris Mitchell, Lachlan is politically further to the right than Abbott.

In his autobiography Making Headlines, he recounts that Lachlan backed the execution of two of the Bali Nine on drug trafficking charges, and he had seen Abbott’s compassion as misplaced.

“As with his views on gun control in the United States, Lachlan’s conservatism is more vigorous than that of any Australian politician, Abbott included, and usually to the right of his father’s views,” he wrote.

Like his father, Lachlan is said to be a climate change sceptic, though there is little he has said publicly on the subject.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://mobile.twitter.com/JerkVening/status/1044778203275976704

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

fiery_valkyrie posted:

The Guardian published an article a couple of days ago about about Murdoch and how things might change when Rupert carks it and Lachlan takes over. Does not look promising.

On the other hand Lachlan has repeatedly demonstrated he is staggeringly incompetent at business, and would run the place into the ground within the space of a decade.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Who cares, it's not like Rupes is ever dying.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
That which is dead may never die

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Guess Cartoon is away for a while

quote:

A 29-year-old man has been sentenced to at least a year in jail after he said he would bomb former Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull during a "grandiose" rant at a western Sydney court last year.
The man, who has been given the court-ordered pseudonym M Dunn, pleaded guilty on Wednesday to five charges stemming from the incident on June 21, 2017, where he shouted threats from the dock at Fairfield Local Court then assaulted two police officers when they tried to put him in a court cell.
Magistrate Stuart Devine said the man made remarks including "If I had my choice I would bomb Malcolm Turnbull", "I can’t wait for this country to be bombed" and "I had the biggest party the other day when they killed the people in Yemen" before he threatened to stomp and bomb an officer.
When the man was led from the court, he attacked two officers, eye-gouging one, claimed he knew Brazilian jiu-jitsu and said he would put the officers in a chokehold once he got out of his handcuffs.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm on my phone, has anyone made the joke "Who makin whoopee tonight" yet?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Humour

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Australian Fruit Police

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
yeah that was pretty good

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Chris Kenny is at it again

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

Krazyface posted:

I'm on my phone, has anyone made the joke "Who makin whoopee tonight" yet?

Noice

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/SharriMarkson/status/1044924885619757056

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Anidav posted:

Does this mean Morrison gets to appoint a Hillsong buddy and the A now will stand for Anglican

ABC Breakfast News will now be 'Songs of Praise', Playschool with be 'Prayschool' and all live programming will be cancelled on Sundays for popular reruns of Songs of Praise.

Rage is cancelled.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Guthie was useless and by taking her down its resulted in the whole house of cards of nepotism collapsing. This is perfect.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It's funny that we all thought the ex-News and Google corporate shitheel would be the worst thing that happened to ABC, but no it was still the Liberal party.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
At least we got to see Kerry O'Brien on the tv again.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

quote:

ABC chairman Justin Milne's tangled corporate web
By John McDuling
26 September 2018 — 6:23pm

Embattled ABC chairman Justin Milne is facing fresh questions over potential conflicts between his corporate roles and his position at the top of the public broadcaster.

There were calls for Mr Milne to resign on Wednesday after Fairfax Media revealed he had told former ABC managing director Michelle Guthrie to sack high-profile reporter Emma Alberici.

Ms Alberici said Mr Milne should never have been part of any deliberations about her controversial stories on tax – which were subject to rewrites and sparked complaints from the government – because he was the chairman of accounting software firm MYOB, which she had highlighted.

"MYOB was one of those companies that [was] ... listed in my article," Ms Alberici said in an interview on ABC radio. "Justin Milne is the chairman of that company, as well as the ABC.

"All I'll say is ... I don't think someone should be making recommendations on something if they have a conflict of interest, or at least have an appearance of a conflict of interest."

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/aliceworkman/liberal-politicians-printer-donor-branch-president

quote:

BuzzFeed News has found at least eight other Liberal politicians who have given hundreds of thousands of dollars of taxpayer funded business to Limantono.

Federal families and social services minister Paul Fletcher; federal backbencher Julian Leeser; NSW treasurer Dominic Perrottet; NSW minister for mental health, women and ageing Tanya Davies; NSW minister for Western Sydney Stuart Ayres; NSW minister for innovation and better regulation Matt Kean; NSW member for Seven Hills Mark Taylor; and NSW member for Baulkham Hills David Elliott use Zion Graphics to print documents including newsletters, flyers and community surveys.
Same story as before, just more names

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The breakdown in the relationship between ABC chairman Justin Milne and former ABC managing director Michelle Guthrie is believed to have been exacerbated by his overly-familiar language when referring to his managing director and other female staff members.
Mr Milne, a company director who is close to former prime minister Malcolm Turnbull, is alleged to have referred to Ms Guthrie as “the missus” in front of staff. Fairfax Media has spoken to a media executive who claims Mr Milne also referred to women as “chicks” and “babes”.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I bet he thought he'd won when she resigned. Probably still does.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Free market think tank the Institute of Public Affairs has today called on the Morrison Government to privatise the ABC in light of allegations of editorial interference by ABC Chair Justin Milne.

“This episode proves once and for all that, despite its claims otherwise, the ABC is in no way ‘independent’,” said IPA Director of Communications, Gideon Rozner.

“A situation in which the chair of the ABC allegedly demands the sacking of a journalist because the government of the day ‘hates her’ proves that true media independence is totally incompatible with state ownership.

“The need for a state-owned broadcaster in Australia is well past its use-by date. The Government must end this farce and immediately move to privatise the ABC.”

The IPA’s comments come as it releases a new Parliamentary Research Brief titled Five Myths About State Ownership of the ABC, which was today sent to all federal parliamentarians.

“Rethinking state ownership is not an ‘attack’ on the ABC, any more than privatisation was an attack on QANTAS or Telstra,” Mr Rozner said.

“Many state-owned enterprises have benefitted substantially from private ownership. This would be no different for the ABC.”

The IPA also disputed the claim that state ownership of the ABC is essential to media “diversity”.

“Justin Milne has claimed that the ABC’s existence ‘is not and never was based on the premise of market failure’. If that is the case, then there is no reason to protect the ABC from the market in which every other media outlet is required to compete.

“A state-owned ABC is not essential to the production of Australian programming. Commercial networks produce local content well in excess of levels required under their license obligations,” said Mr Rozner.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Git hosed

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
gently caress off rozner

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Privatisation is the worst.

Thanks Kennett

Thanett.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
more like priFARTisation

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

You Am I posted:

Privatisation is the worst.

Thanks Kennett

Thanett.

yeah gently caress kennett, but serious chat: forced council amalgamations. good / bad?

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Because as we all know dismantling Telstra was such a success. In fact are there any examples where the privatisation of a state owned service has ever been successful?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

hambeet posted:

yeah gently caress kennett, but serious chat: forced council amalgamations. good / bad?

mostly bad but it depends on why and how they're amalgamated.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
Privatise the ABC because [spins wheel] the LNP shill chairman faced opposition in shilling for the LNP. Seems legit.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
The board are meeting without Milne present. This bodes extremely well for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

I bet he thought he'd won when she resigned. Probably still does.

Guthrie did not resign

• Locked thread