Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

Zquil proper is Dipenhydramine/Benadryl. They also make a melatonin gummy. You'll pay less and get the same effect by buying generic. Also, by drinking a bit of liquor with the diphenhydramine.

Yeah, tbh I don't know if it's dosage or total placebo effect but Z quil tends to knock me out quicker than just Benadryl despite the same active ingredient. The generic version costs about the same price as benadryl anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Thanatosian posted:

Also, by drinking a bit of liquor with the diphenhydramine.

Is that safe? I've always gone by the rule that sleeping meds and alcohol do not mix, ever, in any quantity,

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

Is that safe? I've always gone by the rule that sleeping meds and alcohol do not mix, ever, in any quantity,
You definitely shouldn't drive anything or pilot a plane or really plan on doing anything other than sleeping. But Nyquil is doxylamine succinate (another first-generation antihistamine) and alcohol, and that's sold over the counter. However, I am not a medical professional. I would definitely 100% not suggest ever getting drunk and taking one. Consult your physician, etc. etc.

I would also underscore the "hangover effect" from first-generation antihistamines. It's not as big of a deal when you're sick, but if you're just traveling or whatever, it's probably not worth it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Try and buy some Ambien from your local Air Force pilots

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Thanks for the input folks, I’ll give this all some thought. The hangover is definitely not worth it IMO, as my goal with sleeping in the plane is to get to my destination with energy, not feeling like crap.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'd suggest trying whatever method you decide on before the flight itself, just to see what effect it has. It would suck if you had a bad reaction whilst you're flying. Reminds me of the time I decided to give nicorette lozenges a go for the first time on a longhaul flight to New York, as there were no smoking lounges. I ended up getting crazy strong heart palpitations and nausea in the airport, and had to ride out a wave of dizziness and sickness for about an hour until I felt alright again. Made the first leg of my journey a bit poo poo.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I took an Ambien and a couple shots of liquor before a transatlantic flight once. Worked great for me. But my copilot was PISSED.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
:rimshot:

Doxylamine succinate makes me much sleepier than Benadryl does.

Also CBD oil, which has the added benefit (for me, at least) of not having the next-day fogginess.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Powered Descent posted:

Pfft

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I took an Ambien and a couple shots of liquor before a transatlantic flight once. Worked great for me. But my copilot was PISSED.

Ba dum tish

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
The problem with ambien is that if you take it but aren’t able to fall asleep, there’s a good chance you might hallucinate or do stuff you wouldn’t normally do. Unisom (with doxylamine) and plain Tylenol is a good combo for me. Also ear plugs/headphones, an eye mask, and a hooded sweatshirt with the hood cinched a bit makes plane sleeping a little more comfortable.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Get one of those foam neck pillows too so you can sleep upright easier with your head in place.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I got a call from my bank today telling me someone tried to use my debit card at a gas station in another state. They said is was a $1 hold charge. Do you think this means someone was just testing the card or did some poor gas station get ripped off for gas?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm on vacation in Maine and want to bring back a bunch of little blueberry jelly jars on my flight back (and don't have any bags I'm going to check) - for the TSA's purposes, those are liquids and have to be in the quart ziploc bag of liquids when I'm going through security, right?

(I'm usually in Chicago where you can't sell airplane bottles of liquor and I wanted to bring some back, but probably RIP that idea)

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Koivunen posted:

The problem with ambien is that if you take it but aren’t able to fall asleep, there’s a good chance you might hallucinate or do stuff you wouldn’t normally do. Unisom (with doxylamine) and plain Tylenol is a good combo for me. Also ear plugs/headphones, an eye mask, and a hooded sweatshirt with the hood cinched a bit makes plane sleeping a little more comfortable.

Roseanne account spotted

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I really want to deactivate my Facebook account and keep on using Messenger. This is a feature already, so there's no issue here. But the only problem is, if I deactivate Facebook, I lose access to university group pages, and I miss out on event invitations. Is there a way to deactivate my Facebook but still keep access to these notifications? I want to see what events are going on, and when group pages post updates.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Qubee posted:

I really want to deactivate my Facebook account and keep on using Messenger. This is a feature already, so there's no issue here. But the only problem is, if I deactivate Facebook, I lose access to university group pages, and I miss out on event invitations. Is there a way to deactivate my Facebook but still keep access to these notifications? I want to see what events are going on, and when group pages post updates.

Don't...look at it?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Qubee posted:

Why do you want to deactivate Facebook if you still want to use it core functions?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Qubee posted:

I really want to sell my house, but if I do that then the new owner probably won't want me to stay here. Is there some way I can sell it but still have full access to it for living in and storing all my stuff?

I don't like paying for electricity. I could buy a generator, those definitely exist. The only problem is, that actually costs even more so I'd run out of money for petrol and then my fridge and computer and stuff won't work any more. Is there a way to disconnect my electricity but still be able to use electrical devices all the time?

I want to get rid of all my bowls but still eat soup. I have cups so I can already use those, but they're a lot smaller and they don't work so well for cereal. Is there some way I can make things conform to a bowl shape and not spill everywhere but without having the actual bowls? Maybe with magnets?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Qubee posted:

I want to leave the EU. Is there any way I can do that and keep access to all its trading agreements and free movement of people?

~~Theresa ~~

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
So when I was in Greece in June, I had to go to the hospital. I never heard anything from my travel insurance company, so I asked them if I needed to pay my excess, they said no their records show that they weren't actually charged for anything. The lady on the phone actually used the words "because you paid for everything" until I expalined to her I hadn't. She said she'd look into it and call and email me when she found something, which she never did.

I asked the doctor when I was there if I needed to pay for or do anything and he said he had all my details and would pass it onto the insurance. The hospital sent me a letter to my home address in Australia, they know where I live, but its in greek. It was supposed to be a letter detailing my condition that I could give to the insurance. The insurance doesn't want it despite initially asking for it.

I'm not sure what I should do. My last name ends with "olls" and i had to correct them several times on their records because it kept getting put down greek style, like "olos". Similar for my first name. On the letter my name is right (I actually spoke to the man who wrote it while I was there, I think he was a student nurse), but it says my name followed by what I'm assuming is Son of Andrein. My dads name is Andrew and I corrected that several times for them as well. I have no idea if I'm actually correctly in their system and as far as I can tell, nothing was actually paid for or settled, so I probably have an unpaid account with the Greek health system. What should I do? Is the greek health system going to come down on me? Just leave it? I can't actually speak to anyone at the hospital, it was hard enough finding just 1 person who spoke English in person.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 27, 2018

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I'm not sure if "we don't want it" is an entirely valid reaction on the insurance company's part

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Qubee posted:

Is it because of the constant pestering? There are alternatives to the Facebook app that give you more control over what it bugs you about, such as Friendly on Android. On desktop, there are extensions that let you do similar, such as Facebook Purity. As far as the creepy data harvesting, there's not a lot you can do at this point besides not giving it any more.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
E: [Hit submit too soon]

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Trying to clean up my mom's computer. Uninstalling Apple Application Support. It's been on "Preparing to remove..." for minutes. What in the gently caress takes so long to "prepare" for? Just remove the components and registry entries. How does this take longer to ramp up for than WW2? My only sightly joking suspicion is that Apple just hopes you'll give up waiting and click Cancel instead. No other app I've uninstalled takes as long as Apple's apps.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
it’s an Apple conspiracy, users will see that lengthy uninstalling of windows ipod driver functionality will secretly make them lust for a mac

somehow I think people who are uninstalling their Apple device drivers aren’t in the market anyway

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Qubee posted:

Just scrub your user info and pictures and lock down your profile. You can change your name too if you really don’t want it to be associated to you.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Is there any specific origin for pronouncing "fifty" like "fitty?" Or is it just one of those accent things that kind of just happened?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Is there any specific origin for pronouncing "fifty" like "fitty?" Or is it just one of those accent things that kind of just happened?

Might be one of those things that just got wrapped in with AAVE

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/African-American_Vernacular_English

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Two qs

1. Is there a way to safely incapacitate someone with your bare hands if they don't resist at all?
2. Is it true that Costco will let you eat as much free samples as you want?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Question Friend posted:

Two qs

1. Is there a way to safely incapacitate someone with your bare hands if they don't resist at all?

No, there's no vulcan neck pinch in real life, forced unconsciousness always carries a risk of varying degrees of severity depending on what you do. If you don't have a rope or something to tie someone up with I can't think of any way to safely incapacitate someone.

Pretty much, yeah. They're counting on social decency for you to not just stand around stuffing your face all day but they won't tell you no.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What makes it socially decent?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

Your basic human emotion of shame

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Question Friend posted:

Two qs

I hope to god these questions are directly related.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Turtlicious posted:

The desire to avoid becoming a YouTube gluttony meme

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

Is it because of the constant pestering?

This, exactly. But it's okay, my question was stupid. I'll just deactivate after a few weeks and rely on friends keeping me up to date with anything interesting happening.

Is there a credit score / finance thread? Went to apply for a student account today, was rejected (despite having 993/999 score). The woman at the bank said it might be due to all the credit cards I have. She suggested I close down anything I don't use, but I'm not sure if that will negatively affect my credit score. I was under the impression that having lots of unused credit is good, and shutting down a credit card would remove that benefit. I've got £6,600 in credit limit, and I can remove one credit card that I barely touch (£3,500) and bring the limit of another credit card down to £500, to lower my overall credit to £2,350, which I feel will help me get accepted for a student account.

I just don't want to do all this then end up taking a big hit to my credit score, if I can help it.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 28, 2018

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Credit scores only go up to 850 in North America, so I dunno if it's different where you live, but you are correct in thinking that it's a good idea to have available credit, but you're only going to be "worth" a certain amount of credit overall as well. If I had a score that entitled me to $20k in credit, and I have $18k work of unused credit cards sitting around, I probably wouldn't be able to open a $3k student account thing.

You might take a small hit by closing one of your credit cards that you don't use, but it would be pretty insignificant overall and it's a normal thing to have to do. It certainly wouldn't have a major enough effect on your credit score to bring you out of the top range.

Keep in mind this is all based on what I know about North American credit, but I imagine it's at least similar. There's also a board for this kind of question but I don't post there or know how active it is.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 28, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What you said sounds right, and I've got a credit card I opened up when no one else would touch me a few years back, just to build credit. They're the ones who kept throwing limit increases at me, and family members said it was good to have and not use. I'll just close that one down and try again in 3 months.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Qubee posted:

This, exactly. But it's okay, my question was stupid. I'll just deactivate after a few weeks and rely on friends keeping me up to date with anything interesting happening.

Why don't you just delete the app and occasionally check it in a browser? That way it won't bother you all the time but you'll still find out about stuff your friends are doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
usps only administers pee tests on hire and not random screenings right?