Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I know that's true in theory, but they've all glommed up into one giant stack (of course) and I'm not 100% confident that the Templars and Hospitallers will actually sit on the sidelines when battle comes.

I don't trust anyone in these situations, not even the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

SlothfulCobra posted:

I just won a crusade at the worst possible time. Now I've got the Kingdom of Jerusalem, but I can't rustle up nobles to staff it because it's right in the middle of the black plague and they're all dying too fast.

I just joined the crusade to make all my commanders crusaders (and stayed a bit long because they kept dying so I had to keep cycling through them), but now I guess the Empire of Brittania extends from the channel through Aquitaine to the levant. Aside from having to float 40 holdings over the limit, this also throws a wrench in my plan to finally seize Hwicce from the Byzantine empire, since now I have a vulnerable border.

'Summon a Holy Man' is a pretty cheap source of characters at only 25 Piety. Sometimes they'll be Ambitious, of course, but you can send them away instantly if so.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

evenworse username posted:

I know that's true in theory, but they've all glommed up into one giant stack (of course) and I'm not 100% confident that the Templars and Hospitallers will actually sit on the sidelines when battle comes.

I don't trust anyone in these situations, not even the game.

Stacks on the map are actually just visual representations of multiple individual units that makes it easier for you to parse as a player. They move together but they will still break apart into separate combat stacks when there's something like a Holy Order in there that isn't allowed to fight against a particular target.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Once I learned turning off demense size applies to not just you but also the AI, I started a 768 game with no vassal/demense limits just to see how batshit things would get. The year is now 1200, and the world has devolved into three megablobs:

Norse Britannia, which owns all of Scandinavia, all of Western Europe, and all of Africa including Mali up to about modern day Libya.
Iconoclast Byzantium, which is still clinging to most of Greece and Turkey despite being slowly subsumed by the other blobs holy war by holy war.
Zoroastrian Persia, which owns all the rest of Africa, the Arabian Peninsula, the full boundary of the Persian empire, and ~90% of India.

I think my favorite bit is the Pope continuously calling for crusades for Italy despite there being no Catholic rules left in the entire world and Catholicism sitting at a cool 0% MA.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

Once I learned turning off demense size applies to not just you but also the AI, I started a 768 game with no vassal/demense limits just to see how batshit things would get. The year is now 1200, and the world has devolved into three megablobs:

Norse Britannia, which owns all of Scandinavia, all of Western Europe, and all of Africa including Mali up to about modern day Libya.
Iconoclast Byzantium, which is still clinging to most of Greece and Turkey despite being slowly subsumed by the other blobs holy war by holy war.
Zoroastrian Persia, which owns all the rest of Africa, the Arabian Peninsula, the full boundary of the Persian empire, and ~90% of India.

I think my favorite bit is the Pope continuously calling for crusades for Italy despite there being no Catholic rules left in the entire world and Catholicism sitting at a cool 0% MA.

I thought there was a MA minimum to being able to call crusades/great holy wars?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I have no idea. I think the game might be broken thanks to there being so many guys floating around with like 80 titles.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
As a Norse, is there any clever trick to have people raiding AND being at war at the same time? Besides retinues.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Stacks on the map are actually just visual representations of multiple individual units that makes it easier for you to parse as a player. They move together but they will still break apart into separate combat stacks when there's something like a Holy Order in there that isn't allowed to fight against a particular target.
on the other hand, if it's not a holy order, neutral stacks chained to an enemy stack will fight you as one

learned this the hard way attacking what I thought was a vulnerable indian kingdom, they were in the middle of attacking some other guy along with a duchy that has like 50k event troops sitting around from a scripted horde a few centuries back, and were able to use those troops to own me even though the duchy should've had no beef with me (they didn't show up on the war overview for my war as allied or anything)

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Fat Samurai posted:

As a Norse, is there any clever trick to have people raiding AND being at war at the same time? Besides retinues.

Have some troops flagged as raiders and some not? I always forget to flag my retinues to NOT raid before I start a war so I sit in my enemie's county for a couple months like a moron wondering why my warscore isn't increasing.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I know nomads at least absolutely cannot raid if you're at war. Makes it really annoying when you're an inch away from finishing a castle siege and somebody a million miles a way war decs you, instantly ending the raiding siege :argh:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So what triggers the chess with death event? I had that happened twice now in the current run. Is it letting someone stay in your castle after showing up?

Oh well at least my ruler now is the Wolf Queen who has gave several of her kids that trait.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Does having a holy order help you siege faster even if you're besieging someone if the same faith?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Sydin posted:

How did you get Crusader Kings into the 21st Century?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Does having a holy order help you siege faster even if you're besieging someone if the same faith?

I want to say it did in Vanilla, but I think it got patched a few years ago.

big dyke energy posted:

Have some troops flagged as raiders and some not? I always forget to flag my retinues to NOT raid before I start a war so I sit in my enemie's county for a couple months like a moron wondering why my warscore isn't increasing.

I'm not sure if this is a good strategy, but having your could have guys raid and burn down a few counties before you go to war too. Cut down their levies, when you sack their holdings then use the money for mercs to replace any guys you lose.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 27, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So does the Vassal War Declaration law even work? I have it set to "Illegal" which according to the tool tip means vassals can't declare any kind of war at all, and yet they're still continuing to kick the poo poo out of each other.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Sydin posted:

So does the Vassal War Declaration law even work? I have it set to "Illegal" which according to the tool tip means vassals can't declare any kind of war at all, and yet they're still continuing to kick the poo poo out of each other.

It'll still let people go to war after failing to imprison a vassal.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Phew, finally managed to complete Black Bishop. I've been trying to get that since the drat game was released! Two final achievements - Prodigious Five and Not So Bad. Kill me now!

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Moreau posted:

Phew, finally managed to complete Black Bishop. I've been trying to get that since the drat game was released! Two final achievements - Prodigious Five and Not So Bad. Kill me now!

So you've stomped the pope with elephants? Not bad.

Question! If a child uses a different portrait set than either parent, can it ever be their legitimate child? For example, can it inherit the portrait set of a grandparent?

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

pidan posted:

I was just wondering how you would do that. It should work with the caliph too. I have lots of elephants and I'm slowly expanding my giant Indian empire westward and I wanna trample that drat caliph dammit

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

pidan posted:

Question! If a child uses a different portrait set than either parent, can it ever be their legitimate child? For example, can it inherit the portrait set of a grandparent?

It can, yes. You can easily see that as a merchant republic. As Venice, when one of your unmarried relatives gets himself a nice African bride somewhere (through the merchant republic event), they can have children that use the Italian portrait but grandchildren who have the Ethiopian portrait for example.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

big dyke energy posted:

Unless I’m missing something, which is perfectly possible, you cannot set troops to raid if you’re at war, and you cannot declare war if you have raised troops.

I’m on 790 on my latest game and have managed to build a shipyard before the viking age event. I want to send my people raiding while punching single counties in Finland with the conquest CB.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 27, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
You can use your retinues to raid, which then allows you to declare war. If you are big enough, you use your retinues to burn down the enemy's holdings, then declare war and easily take the land that your pillaged before, running up the warscore.

By the way, money is at a premium for tribals, so you just wasted a lot of it on a shipyard that would have been gifted to you by the event.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Torrannor posted:

You can use your retinues to raid, which then allows you to declare war. If you are big enough, you use your retinues to burn down the enemy's holdings, then declare war and easily take the land that your pillaged before, running up the warscore.

By the way, money is at a premium for tribals, so you just wasted a lot of it on a shipyard that would have been gifted to you by the event.

That’s why I said “besides retinues”.

Anyway, considering the Viking event hasn’t fired yet and that I got 120 gold and prestige in from the first two raids in a year and a half, I’m confident in my choice. Shipyards (which cost 300 Prestige, not money, BTW) are vital and worth rushing because they pay for themselves fast.

I could have chosen Military Organization as my technology in order to have retinues, but then I wouldn’t have ships to ferry them.

The thing that I’m giving up is war, and that’s what I’m trying to fix, but it seems the game is adamant on making me choose between money and land.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Not really. The Viking Age event upgrades shipyards by +1, not just giving free lvl-1 shipyards. Fat Samurai will get a free upgrade to a lvl 2 shipyard when it fires.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Didn’t know that, nice

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Anglo-Saxon reconquista is going well.

I rule at least half of England, but only have 40% of the levies. I will make my move when William dies.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

There isn't anything clever to it, other than having raiding troops there already from the "raise raiders" but if I remember right Paradox had disabled some of the more cunning ways to do that

FreudianSlippers posted:

Again, a while back, but yes, though you do need some of your real troops there so that there's someone hostile there.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

pidan posted:

As I recall, I got that one from imprisoning the Caliph, who was a vassal, so it ended up being pretty easy.

Pulled an all-nighter and got the Prodigious Five, so all that remains is Not So Bad. Total luck of the draw, that one. Uggghhh... with luck, I can pick it up before I cross the 2000 hour barrier!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

binge crotching posted:

It'll still let people go to war after failing to imprison a vassal.

Ah, that makes sense. drat you loopholes! :argh:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Again, a while back, but yes, though you do need some of your real troops there so that there's someone hostile there.

I've used that tactic s few times but I was never sure if it was actually helping or if it was a placebo effect causing the seiges to just feel faster.

I usually had it as a backup force going around besieging holdings away from the action while the main force does the actual battles

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I randomly decided to check CK2 twitter account and I found these pictures without any commentary
https://twitter.com/CrusaderKings/status/1045234905494556672

https://twitter.com/CrusaderKings/status/1044919563597611008

Hellenic religion... returns?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Oh wow, those certainly look like pictures of a Zeus statue and a classical Greek (or Roman) temple!

I'm always up for more religion variation. If we can resurrect Zoroastrianims or even Zunism, why not Greek or Roman paganism?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
When all else fails I open my heart and put my faith in Hades

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Azhais posted:

When all else fails I open my heart and put my faith in Hades

I'll be mad if Paradox goes with Hades as the quasi-Satan instead of like, Kronos or something

Revived Hellenism sounds dope as gently caress otherwise though

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
So I have a couple of questions about merchant republics, having barely touched them outside of attempting to reproduce The Merchant of Venice, which comes to a screeching halt less than a day in game as the doge clicks on 'banish the Jewish' and my game comes to an end.

1) Are castle holdings ever useful as a Patrician or a Doge?
2) With tolerance laws can you break the 'male only' rule of Republics?

and for shits and giggles, is there a way to play a Jewish Patrician and avoid getting thrown out by the Doge? I mean I assume as a Patrician I have money, right? Can't I bribe him or someone to remain?

I have Monks and Mystics but kind of want to avoid going the secret Catholic route.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MaxieSatan posted:

I'll be mad if Paradox goes with Hades as the quasi-Satan instead of like, Kronos or something

Revived Hellenism sounds dope as gently caress otherwise though

It'll just be a copy/paste with Lucifer's own anyway, just like the Hel version.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Dwesa posted:

I randomly decided to check CK2 twitter account and I found these pictures without any commentary
https://twitter.com/CrusaderKings/status/1045234905494556672

https://twitter.com/CrusaderKings/status/1044919563597611008

Hellenic religion... returns?

They really are using Holy Fury to address every remaining problem or desired feature, huh. I guess that one paradox forums guy who kept arguing about Hellenic peasants in early medieval Laconia is gonna be feeling very vindicated.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Well the black death came through and killed half my family, but I got a cool mask of the red death event out of it. I lost a jihad for Mosul, but I managed to win the last bit of Tunis a few years later. So now I'm the Roman empire!

My remaining son is maybe the only one who's biologically mine, but he's pretty bad stats wise. So I guess that's game over for me until we get holy fury.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Man my queen in my current game is pretty metal for in her 60s. She has only one eye and has to wear a mask, but she is a lunatic with wolf blood.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Airspace posted:

So I have a couple of questions about merchant republics, having barely touched them outside of attempting to reproduce The Merchant of Venice, which comes to a screeching halt less than a day in game as the doge clicks on 'banish the Jewish' and my game comes to an end.

1) Are castle holdings ever useful as a Patrician or a Doge?
2) With tolerance laws can you break the 'male only' rule of Republics?

and for shits and giggles, is there a way to play a Jewish Patrician and avoid getting thrown out by the Doge? I mean I assume as a Patrician I have money, right? Can't I bribe him or someone to remain?

I have Monks and Mystics but kind of want to avoid going the secret Catholic route.

To address your second question first, male succession is hard coded for republics. It's even difficult to cheat yourself a female doge, and simply impossible in normal gameplay. That's because you can't make matrilineal marriages as a merchant republic, screwing with the 5 patrician families mechanic.

As for your first question, there's a debate whether you should hold any city beyond your capital at all. Personally, I always like to hold at least two cities in my capital county to make more money at the start. But cities are only good for making you more gold, castles are pretty important to get military power. Later on, when you swim in money and have a huge retinue due to trade posts, and have all mercenary companies hired permanently, castles lose a bit of their importance. But again, cities don't give you anything worthwhile either at that point of the game.

As for your Jewish problem, I did not know that the expel Jews decision would mean an automatic game over. The only way to be save from this event would be to always retain the doge title (difficult, especially as someone inexperienced with merchant republics), or play in a duchy level republic. The decision requires being king or emperor. I think there's a start where Venice starts as a duchy, but if not then there are other republics (Genoa, Pisa, Amalfi) that start as duchies. Just be aware that your liege will hate you, and can get a free title revocation with the right laws.

All in all, recreating Merchant of Venice sounds fun, but it's also difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rirse posted:

So what triggers the chess with death event? I had that happened twice now in the current run. Is it letting someone stay in your castle after showing up?

I honestly think it's at least partially an anti-cheat-character function. I seem to have it happen really, really often when I make a bonkers OP character with Ruler Designer Unlocked, and I have never seen it outside of that; it might also trigger if your character naturally gets really bonkers OP.

• Locked thread