Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hope no one is complaining that Storm actively tried to kill Nova, because like, gently caress Cassandra Nova, shes the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I like Red but I instantly want to check out anytime Cassandra Nova is involved in anything. A character I just do not like to read at all.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Has Rachel had any conversations with her mother (either of them) since the early nineties? I remember them coyly avoiding that in All New X-Men and can’t remember her running into Jean since she’s been back.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

domino annual good

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Edmund Lava posted:

Has Rachel had any conversations with her mother (either of them) since the early nineties? I remember them coyly avoiding that in All New X-Men and can’t remember her running into Jean since she’s been back.

They caught up in Red's annual. I don't know if she's had any conversations with the younger Jean, but I feel like they addressed the weirdness between her and adult Jean before that too.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
When Scott comes back are Jean and him eventually going to get around to actually giving birth to Rachel? She's been this potential future child of theirs for like thirty years.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Uh lol why go through the trouble of birthing and raising a child when your child is already born and raised? Look, she's right there! The hard work is already done!

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

davebo posted:

When Scott comes back are Jean and him eventually going to get around to actually giving birth to Rachel? She's been this potential future child of theirs for like thirty years.

Once the DOFP timeline was avoided Rachel became unique in the multiverse. She can’t be born at this point unless they retcon that plot point from Excalibur.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Edmund Lava posted:

Once the DOFP timeline was avoided Rachel became unique in the multiverse. She can’t be born at this point unless they retcon that plot point from Excalibur.

One of the reasons that Rachel is one of my faves is not only did she help solve the problem she came back for, but she realized she had the near omnipotent power so she had the responsibility to go back and fix her present, and did that too.

But they are always about ignoring everything Excalibur did which I guess I understand in a way because comics abhor solved problems and Alan Davis basically solved all the problems that everyone went into Excalibur with.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Alaois posted:

domino annual good

I've reached the Chuck Austen era of Uncanny X-Men, having just finished the Joe Casey stuff, and it was such a boon to see Stacy X treated with some respect and written well for once. The early 2000s misogyny and crappy attitudes towards sex workers were really draining (on top of Austen being as awful as expected) but Leah Williams will help me power through. Austen's run is an interesting failure I suppose ([Iceman is] "straight, and that's the end of it" - oh Northstar :allears: ) and New X-Men is as good as expected, which is helpful when reading chronologically.

Which reminds me, some of the miniseries from the early 2000s are worthwhile, like Muties, Morlocks and BKV's Icons minis. I am enjoying the exploration of mutants as a culture and how individual no-name mutants exist outside of the X-Men, and the Domino Annual taking a look at identity in a 2018 context is a welcome continuation.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rick posted:

One of the reasons that Rachel is one of my faves is not only did she help solve the problem she came back for, but she realized she had the near omnipotent power so she had the responsibility to go back and fix her present, and did that too.

But they are always about ignoring everything Excalibur did which I guess I understand in a way because comics abhor solved problems and Alan Davis basically solved all the problems that everyone went into Excalibur with.
Excalibur seems like Marvel's Legion of Super-Heroes, it's stuff that's THERE and has had impact but is kind of coralled in its own little brexited ghetto for the most part. I'm sure it also has fanatical devotees. (I'm one.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I really like Excalibur and would really enjoy seeing more from it - Ewing or Gillen or Cornell would write a good Excalibur and they could get some 2000 AD guys on the art (because I don't think Davis does ongoing series these days) - but I don't really enjoy the Warren Ellis run very much. Guess I'm not really a Pete Wisdom fan.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Before I continue reading X-Men Blue - Why is Bloodstorm back? did I miss an issue or some other comic where she came back?

vvvv: I know that but didn't she die a couple issues ago?

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 27, 2018

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Before I continue reading X-Men Blue - Why is Bloodstorm back? did I miss an issue or some other comic where she came back?

She's a different alternate universe version.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

vvvv: I know that but didn't she die a couple issues ago?

the end of X-Men Blue takes place before Extermination #1.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Metalshark posted:

I've reached the Chuck Austen era of Uncanny X-Men, having just finished the Joe Casey stuff, and it was such a boon to see Stacy X treated with some respect and written well for once. The early 2000s misogyny and crappy attitudes towards sex workers were really draining (on top of Austen being as awful as expected) but Leah Williams will help me power through. Austen's run is an interesting failure I suppose ([Iceman is] "straight, and that's the end of it" - oh Northstar :allears: ) and New X-Men is as good as expected, which is helpful when reading chronologically.

Even more so than Stacy X and the other skeevy stuff (Austen really needs to get laid sometime) what really got under my skin was the bit about Nightcrawler being literally a devil. For the past thirty years, Nightcrawler's whole thing was "Yes, I look sinister, but I'm really a person just like you."

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Please stop reminding me that the Draco exists

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was Stacy X an Austen character? I thought she was from Joe Casey's run (which is little remembered today, probably because it ran simultaneously with New X-Men).

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was Stacy X an Austen character? I thought she was from Joe Casey's run (which is little remembered today, probably because it ran simultaneously with New X-Men).

Yeah, she debuts in Casey's run with the wasted X-Ranch (which would be fascinating to explore by someone who understands sex work and wants to explore that alongside mutant identity, which I believe Leah Williams and Jay Edidin have both discussed on Twitter) that just gets wrecked while the Uncanny X-Men team is there. They just uselessly do very little to defend it from some Purifier types and Stacy X is frequently belittled because of her profession despite her friends dying. She gets moments, and she has pride in what choices she makes, but she is not a character who is written well or respected.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I really wish they would finish this initial arc of X-Men Red. Even though it's the best X-book...this story has been dragging for way too long.

Extermination is real bad imo.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

pubic works project posted:

the end of X-Men Blue takes place before Extermination #1.

Ah okay, thank you, I can actually open it up again and read it now.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Edmund Lava posted:

Okay that makes sense since I never got into Excalibur. Not that it wasn't good or anything, I just thought two X-titles were sufficient and Nightcrawler was the only person I cared about in it. I guess some problems never change because now we've got three or more main X-Men books and it doesn't seem like any of them have more than three or four people I'm interested in.

I had bought #1 of X-Men red when it came out and wasn't impressed enough to keep buying, but all the talk about it here got me to catch up really quickly last night and while I'm still not feeling it I did really like the page with the massive Sentinel just going dead and taking a plane down with it. Maybe because I just bought a 16" sentinel toy.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think the quality of Extermination really depends on how it ends. It can go either way on good or bad, but the pacing isn't great.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

I think the quality of Extermination really depends on how it ends. It can go either way on good or bad, but the pacing isn't great.

If Extermination brings Scott back, I'll be happy.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

pubic works project posted:

If Extermination brings Scott back, I'll be happy.

That's where I'm at with it. I'd also be fine if young Scott sticks around. But I'd prefer original Scott be brought back.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gynovore posted:

Even more so than Stacy X and the other skeevy stuff (Austen really needs to get laid sometime) what really got under my skin was the bit about Nightcrawler being literally a devil. For the past thirty years, Nightcrawler's whole thing was "Yes, I look sinister, but I'm really a person just like you."

It was a bold move to take away the whole thing of 'Nightcrawler only looks different, but is as human as anyone and indeed one of the best of us' and replace it with 'NAH HALF DEMON also we will make him pope or something.'

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Dawgstar posted:

It was a bold move to take away the whole thing of 'Nightcrawler only looks different, but is as human as anyone and indeed one of the best of us' and replace it with 'NAH HALF DEMON also we will make him pope or something.'

Jumping out of a car doing sixty is a "bold move", just not a smart one.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I of course really love Morrison's arcs, but one of the things that always felt off about it to me is that his actual team of X-Men, aside from Jean, were all...pretty weak. We had what is essentially a bunch of bruisers, plus Xorn I guess, going up against the likes of Nova and the Shi'ar empire. It never felt like those threats were going up against the full power of the X-Men, and the fact that they were threats at all had less to do with how threatening they were and more to do with how...not-threatening our protags were.

What I like about X-Men: Red is that Nova is now going against an "actual," "real" X-team with the whole gamut of crazy A-list mutant powers and...yeah, it goes about as well for her this time around as you'd expect. It's one thing to act like a great big X-Men foe when you're facing the most mundane members of the team, and quite another thing when Storm is going to throw a literal tsunami at you 'cuz you ticked her off.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gynovore posted:

Jumping out of a car doing sixty is a "bold move", just not a smart one.

If it helps I meant a bold move in the same way in Dodgeball Pepper means a bold strategy.

And since we're on the terrible, awful, no good very bad Austen run, do we mention She Lies With Angels or just keep trying to shovel dirt over it where it belongs? Yeah, silly question.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dawgstar posted:

If it helps I meant a bold move in the same way in Dodgeball Pepper means a bold strategy.

And since we're on the terrible, awful, no good very bad Austen run, do we mention She Lies With Angels or just keep trying to shovel dirt over it where it belongs? Yeah, silly question.

Right on top of it’s misspelled grave and talk about how much we wished we could have banged it.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

"Hot Claws" is a very funny phrase and that's good enough reason for me.

It reminds me of the ol' spicy keychain drawing.

Logan you rat! You weren't using the oven to bake cookies! You were heating your claws up to give me the ol' hot claws! How could you give your own brother the hot claws Logan?!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Aside from lighting cigars I'm curious what applications hot claws will have. Heating metal only makes it weaker, so I can't imagine it's going to help him cut through things he couldn't previously. Maybe melt some cold things? I mean even if he were fighting an evil version of Iceman it's not like there's a part of him you could melt off that would hurt him any more than just chopping it off.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

davebo posted:

Aside from lighting cigars I'm curious what applications hot claws will have. Heating metal only makes it weaker, so I can't imagine it's going to help him cut through things he couldn't previously. Maybe melt some cold things? I mean even if he were fighting an evil version of Iceman it's not like there's a part of him you could melt off that would hurt him any more than just chopping it off.

Actual wolverines have hot claws I think? Some editor read that fact and thought it sounded cool?

Also, his metal claws already violate a ton of laws of physics, being super hot without losing any structural integrity is not that much of a reach.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You laugh but when they face the Butterman he will be invaluable.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

davebo posted:

Heating metal only makes it weaker, so I can't imagine it's going to help him cut through things he couldn't previously.

Look at you, acting like Comic Book Science Metal Adamantium gives a poo poo about the laws of actual science

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Hot claws are going to be Superman electricity and it's cool I'm going to be along for the ride.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's gonna be a thing for like a few months and then be mostly forgotten until a different writer comes up with something incredibly cool or incredibly dumb that they thought was incredibly cool that requires hot claws.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Look at you, acting like Comic Book Science Metal Adamantium gives a poo poo about the laws of actual science

Yeah yeah, I get that comics aren't real and everything, but how do the actual writers utilize this new power. Obviously now that Wolverine is back he's going to be cutting through lots and lots of stuff, but how is the reader to know he's cutting through something that he simply couldn't have before without these hot-rear end claws? Do they just say have him say "boy, I never could have cut through THAT with those super room temperature claws I had before"? It just seems like a new power that's going to be difficult to showcase, and without that ability they might just forget it in time.

Edit: woops, yeah basically what skwirl said

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Some idiot saw all these 'red hot knife vs...' videos on youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
There's been a misunderstanding: Logan doesn't have normal claws that get hot. His claws have been converted into hollow pipettes which can secrete hot glue. He's in charge of bedazzling everyone's new uniforms, spearheading arts & crafts night around the mansion, and putting Rockslide back together. The idea is that Laura can remain Wolverine, Logan can inherit the Paste Pot Pete title, and Paste Pot Pete can either stick with the Trapster or try being X-23.