Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Victorian Electoral Commission is sending out reminders to update your details if you're wanting to work the election on their website.

Or register if you haven't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Honestly compulsory bike registration seems like a good idea, just like compulsory bike helmets.

:can:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Honestly compulsory bike registration seems like a good idea, just like compulsory bike helmets.

Helmets yes, but what are the arguments for bike registration?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

NTRabbit posted:

*very boomer voice* I, a car register, why not bikes. Special treatment is bad when it's not for me.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Well, you see, you should register your flimsy bit of metal/carbon fibre vehicle in the same way you should register your 1000kg metal vehicle for these two modes of transport are equivalent to each other.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
ROAD TOADS! :argh:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

hambeet posted:

Victorian Electoral Commission is sending out reminders to update your details if you're wanting to work the election on their website.

Or register if you haven't.

How does that pay? Reasonably well?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

froglet posted:

Well, you see, you should register your flimsy bit of metal/carbon fibre vehicle in the same way you should register your 1000kg metal vehicle for these two modes of transport are equivalent to each other.

MY REGO COSTS

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Dude McAwesome posted:

How does that pay? Reasonably well?

Casual rate including loading is at least $28 p/h

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

NTRabbit posted:

I don't claim to know all of them but there is an argument to be made that it would give the ability to identify (the small minority of) problem cyclists (e.g. failure to obey road rules, road rage), as with current problem car drivers. Currently there isn't really anything you can do about problem cyclists, unless you know and can identify them or have dash cam footage.

It shouldn't cost anywhere near what car rego is, but nobody is arguing it should.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Whitlam posted:

I don't claim to know all of them but there is an argument to be made that it would give the ability to identify (the small minority of) problem cyclists (e.g. failure to obey road rules, road rage), as with current problem car drivers. Currently there isn't really anything you can do about problem cyclists, unless you know and can identify them or have dash cam footage.

It shouldn't cost anywhere near what car rego is, but nobody is arguing it should.

i can't believe that you, whitlam, would buy into a bad idea like this

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

mandatory cycling imo

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
I can understand the argument, I just think it's loving stupid and has no basis in reality.

Blast through a stop sign in a car? You could kill a pedestrian or another driver. Do the same on a bike the only person you are likely to hurt is yourself (admittedly I'm a fan of the "Idaho stop").

Registration should be limited to heavy machinery, which bicycles aren't, because misuse of a car is far more dangerous than misuse of a bike.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Knowing someone whose hip was broken by a cyclist who didn't think he had to stop for alighting passengers at a tram stop, no they can still cause damage.

The capacity for carnage is obviously far removed from a car though and I don't think registration would stop dickheads, regardless. It doesn't in cars!

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

froglet posted:

I can understand the argument, I just think it's loving stupid and has no basis in reality.

Blast through a stop sign in a car? You could kill a pedestrian or another driver. Do the same on a bike the only person you are likely to hurt is yourself (admittedly I'm a fan of the "Idaho stop").

Registration should be limited to heavy machinery, which bicycles aren't, because misuse of a car is far more dangerous than misuse of a bike.

I agree that cars are more dangerous, but I've seen pedestrians get injured because of dipshit cyclists blasting through red lights, or riding on the footpath in the city. When that happens, there's not a lot that can be done if the cyclist continues on, which I've also seen.

Why do you think registration should be limited to heavy machinery?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

froglet posted:

Do the same on a bicycle and you can cause a smash as cars hit the brakes to avoid the cyclist and rear end each other instead.

What about mandatory bike registration and put the money towards building better and isolated bike lanes?

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
free bike helmets but all helmets are rego plates handed out by vicroads imo

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

They pay for the roads don't you know

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Different roads solely for cyclists. But they’re really shittily maintained and sometimes people put tacks and nails on them.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

NTRabbit posted:

What about mandatory bike registration and put the money towards building better and isolated bike lanes?

There will be no "money to put towards" anything. These schemes have overwhelmingly been found to cost more to implement than they pull in when they are costed.
That is simply the *admin* overhead. When you include the public health savings created by cyclists, it's something suprisingly high like $1/km, anything at all that stops people cycling should really be dismissed as crazy.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Dude McAwesome posted:

Different roads solely for cyclists. But they’re really shittily maintained and sometimes people put tacks and nails on them.

most of the Perth cycling network fits this description.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

norp posted:

most of the Perth fits this description.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
ban bikes, make cyclists only be able to run rickshaws

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

charge bike rego but only for mark textor

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Increase tax on spandex cycling gear imo.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I just want the cops to actually fine cyclists for poo poo other than helmets. No light? 300$. Wearing all black in the middle of winter after dark? 300$. Rego schemes are dumb but if you can't do basic poo poo to make your vehicle roadworthy I'm all in favour of you being fined into oblivion.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is riding a bike in casual clothes a crime?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ban all bikes, everyone has to drive V8 Holdens and Falcons, just like how Australian God wanted Aussies to be

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Should there be a road rules test for cyclists like there is for drivers in most states? You couldn't pretend the rules don't apply to you then. There's a good reason for separate licenses between motorcycles/scooters and cars. Should it be age-limited? A child riding a bicycle on the footpath killed my grandfather, but that was 1954 and nothing much has changed since then. But someone of adult age should be more responsible, so perhaps make it mandatory at 18? Old enough to vote, old enough to not be a dipshit because you use pedal-power.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I don't think driving tests roadblock anyone that is going to wantonly drive unsafely.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
yeah I am no expert on transport, but I feel like any licencing or rego system for bikes will just further punish poor people for being poor? And will most likely be enforced disproportionately against people of colour and homeless folk

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Separated infrastructure for bicycles and better facilities are probably the way to go

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

hiddenmovement posted:

I just want the cops to actually fine cyclists for poo poo other than helmets. No light? 300$. Wearing all black in the middle of winter after dark? 300$. Rego schemes are dumb but if you can't do basic poo poo to make your vehicle roadworthy I'm all in favour of you being fined into oblivion.

you're dumb as gently caress, sorry to be the one to bring you this grave news

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Ban all private transportation

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Box of Bunnies posted:

does that mean I can't use my rollerskates to get around? :negative:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The Before Times posted:

does that mean I can't use my rollerskates to get around? :negative:

Sorry, we all have to make sacrifices

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

subsidise the use of donkeys for transport

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Box of Bunnies posted:

Ban everything.

Ban all life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

You Am I posted:

Ban all bikes, everyone has to drive V8 Holdens and Falcons, just like how Australian God wanted Aussies to be

gently caress yeah legalize doughies.

• Locked thread