Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

qbert posted:

No, but the leveling system is very convoluted right now. You basically have to do lots of math to figure out what you should be doing at any given time to maximize your chances of getting something useful. There's also multiple soft caps (520, 540, 560, 580) and not all powerful engrams are created equal. Of course the game doesn't tell you any of this poo poo.

For example, where you're at right now, most powerful engrams will decrypt at +1 your current light level (so if you're 549, most will be 550). Certain powerfuls will go higher (Dreaming City weekly, Ascendant challenge will be +5, Hawthorne Clan XP will be +3, Nightfall will be +2). It's so stupid confusing and I basically found a spreadsheet someone made that lets me enter in my gear numbers and it tells me what to do next.

The most amazing part of this is how badly Bungie describe the new system. This is what they were trying to describe when they said that we would get higher rewards for doing an activity below the recommended level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

qbert posted:

No, but the leveling system is very convoluted right now. You basically have to do lots of math to figure out what you should be doing at any given time to maximize your chances of getting something useful. There's also multiple soft caps (520, 540, 560, 580) and not all powerful engrams are created equal. Of course the game doesn't tell you any of this poo poo.

No it's not. Do stuff with gold stars and you'll get more powerful. The only way it could be simpler is if leveling up didn't exist at all.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

texaholic posted:

Well I completed the bounty which droppe 545 LL stuff last week, this week it dropped at 530. I can't play most days and would like to start raiding, that seems to require alot more grinding then I am interested in.

what we have now is what we get for an entire year. you'll be fine.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

xzzy posted:

No it's not. Do stuff with gold stars and you'll get more powerful. The only way it could be simpler is if leveling up didn't exist at all.

Sure, you don't have to think about it at all and go that way. But that's true of any game mechanic? I guess it's super simple if you don't care that you did 3 strikes and got something completely useless to improving your light.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
i did the stars in whatever order dictated by when my friends were online and broke 570 last night :v:

system works yall

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

qbert posted:

I guess it's super simple if you don't care that you did 3 strikes and got something completely useless to improving your light.

This is whats dumb and what happened multiple times today.

From the 24th this month, https://www.bungie.net/en/Forums/Post/248331271

quote:

• Powerful Gear: We have been monitoring reports of powerful engrams not dropping loot at the appropriate power levels in relation to the player. We have confirmed player reports and identified the issue causing powerful engrams to sometimes drop below appropriate power levels, and are working on a fix to this issue.

This happened at least once today with a weekly dreaming city bounty that said powerful rewards and dropped about 15 LL below my max.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

xzzy posted:

Not true buddy. Not all gold stars are equal

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
While I am sure there are bugs related to powerful drops, I am also sure than 69% of reported cases are people not understanding the difference between +1 overall light level engrams and +5/+10 overall light.

Around 4.20% are people not understanding that if you have a slot that's +7 relative to your average light, and you get a +5 powerful to drop in that sense slot, it will not help you at all (but makes great infusion fodder).

Another 13.37% are people not carefully reading what the actual reward is when you make an offering to the queen

And finally, 14.88% of reported cases are due to the interface bug showing IB engrams as powerfuls when they weren't .

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
As the admin of bone krew and shadow admin of whatever the cadre of balding dumb space morons clan on PS4, I approve of this consolidation of playerbases and look forward to further tightening my stranglehold over this dead gay game forum

I'm Wrecks Box One / Slaystation Four and I approve of this message

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Holy poo poo you actually can block one-shot kills with swords time to whip it out 24/7 in gambles

quote:

As the admin of bone krew and shadow admin of whatever the cadre of balding dumb space morons clan on PS4, I approve of this consolidation of playerbases and look forward to further tightening my stranglehold over this dead gay game forum

I'm Wrecks Box One / Slaystation Four and I approve of this message

I offer tribute to my liege and his worm

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Not true buddy. Not all gold stars are equal

It if you do them all it works eventually so idgaf

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

xzzy posted:

It if you do them all it works eventually so idgaf

[Light level 540ishly] you know I had to do it to em in whatever order

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

[Light level 540ishly] you know I had to do it to em in whatever order

I beat Blind Well T4 at 515

I did it by hiding behind the bigger, stronger guardians, with longer, heavier rifles

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Aren't you meant to do your dailies in full / open your p rime and then weekly or something?

Reason being the daily drops aren't as powerful and therefore you're better off buffing your lowest bit or whatever before the bigger jumps of powerful?

I remember some did a write up on it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
primes are dynamic when they are in your inventory. i just hand that poo poo in as the last thing i do for the session

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Do your big boy engrams first unless you have a slot or two that are so far behind they are dragging down your overall light.

Then do your +1s.

Basically do everything in the drawing city and raid first, then do the weekly gambit bounty (not milestone), then do everything else.

If you're below 540 do nightfall first, and if you're close to 540 maybe to some little ones to push you above it before hitting the big ones.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Going out on a limb here and thinking maybe just playing the game is more fun than doing math

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everything is more fun than doing math.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
[sounds of datto crying]

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

----TRIUMPH COMPLETED----

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Insane Totoro posted:

Going out on a limb here and thinking maybe just playing the game is more fun than doing math

Yeah tbh the my climb has only been stunted by taking a few days off and getting stuck with a bunch of arms in a row from the big milestones.

I'd rather do poo poo with me mates than worry too much about the order.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I just do the powerfuls I wanna do

If I don't do them all there's more the next day

Destiny is cool again

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Insane Totoro posted:

Probably, but party chat bitching about "ah gently caress my powerful decrypted 7 light below what I am wearing a bloo bloo" sustains me as I commence another high level activity

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
New Crucru is doing wonders for my end of workday.

It's a real blast to feel like I can win an engagement without HAVING to run a certain build.

It feels good. And it seems to get me lots of powerful engrams!

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Insane Totoro posted:

New Crucru is doing wonders for my end of workday.

It's a real blast to feel like I can win an engagement without HAVING to run a certain build.

It feels good. And it seems to get me lots of powerful engrams!

Isn't it amazing? Regardless of the weapon/armour combo I run I'm still terrible. Prior to forsaken I was even more terrible when using random weapons.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

huh posted:

Isn't it amazing? Regardless of the weapon/armour combo I run I'm still terrible. Prior to forsaken I was even more terrible when using random weapons.

Tangentially, i would love a random loadout mode

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I managed to get myself stuck on the geometry on the final Ace of Spades quest. Between the 6th and 7th chests, there’s a large wall with a difficult to reach ceiling. I believed I had to jump over the wall and got trapped in an invisible box that stretched across the ceiling and glitched the graphics so I could see the next two chests through the wall. Had to kill my self 3 times to escape. Beware.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I just read the Tao Tei Ching and have this strange compulsion to photoshop a small, content-looking mouse onto things that are in equillibrium with each other.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

my religion is “believe in yourself”, I believe in Tei. I call that Teism.

But is a one man (mouse) religion and we are not hiring. You have to create your own.

I like the new pvp mode, but I fear is going to be the trials one, and I think trials is better with less rules and less objetives.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
Anyone in here done he lunas howl quest?

I'm an average Pvp guy that usually solo queues, how difficult is it gonna be?

The kills doesnt seem that tricky but the rank bit seems tough. How soon before I blow my brains out in frustration?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

hitchensgoespop posted:

The kills doesnt seem that tricky but the rank bit seems tough. How soon before I blow my brains out in frustration?

Do not solo queue luna

Seriously

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
https://kotaku.com/video-games-was-on-jeopardy-tonight-and-it-did-not-g-1829350004

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They did have a Halo clue a couple of years ago. IIRC it was something like "The Master Chief shoots the Covenant. Then he shoots the Flood. Rinse and repeat." which is not inaccurate.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvUZijEuNDQ

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

victrix posted:

Do not solo queue luna

Seriously

I'm gonna do it, try and stop me

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

If I want to start really slamming my dick in the door that is the broadsword quest, is it better to use my VW or pull an inaugural address or of my collection? I've been away for a long time so I don't know what the meta is besides Bygones shredding me all the time, but I've heard inaugural is still good.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Tei posted:

my religion is “believe in yourself”, I believe in Tei. I call that Teism.

But is a one man (mouse) religion and we are not hiring. You have to create your own.

I like the new pvp mode, but I fear is going to be the trials one, and I think trials is better with less rules and less objetives.

Faith is a great lens to look through, and yours seems like no exception. We’ll get you back to Magrathea soon, don’t worry.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I got a Horror’s Least yesterday. I’m not the right person to make this sort of comparison but it feels like a triple burst sidearm with pulse range. I’ve got low stability and high range but it still feels really accurate. Almost want to see what hip fire mod does for it.

e: Icarus? I guess hip fire is a perk. I have a fever.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

hitchensgoespop posted:

I'm on on the HC precision kills part and it isn't bad. Honestly the only tricky part is rank but if at any point you hit Fabled you'll complete that step, it's retroactive during the season you start it. If you're stuck on solo queue play then I recommend knowing your target audience and when they play. Evenings and nights will have the sweatiest matches and you're gonna get farmed. Weekday mornings are decent, Sunday mornings are good too.

Emron posted:

If I want to start really slamming my dick in the door that is the broadsword quest, is it better to use my VW or pull an inaugural address or of my collection? I've been away for a long time so I don't know what the meta is besides Bygones shredding me all the time, but I've heard inaugural is still good.
390's are king right now (edit: I'll give a nod to the 4 burst's like Go Figure as they can shred in the right hands but they tend to perform badly in extremely aggressive matches imho) and choosing between IA or Bygones depends largely on your Bygones roll and how comfortable you are with the weapon in your opposing slot. My Bygones is middling at best but gives me better choices since I have a ton of good sidearms and shotties in my middle slot. IA is really loving good but my top slot choices for weapons is poo poo because I don't have the Spire sidearm and I'm really really not feeling these new two burst ones at all. The Broadsword quest is a loving chore though and one of those things is resetting Valor 5 god drat times so if you're not face dragging Valor bonus weekends you're going to hate life forever.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I already hate life forever so I'm set for that part at least. I don't have a Bygones yet but I do have an IA and a Go Figure which is also apparently good? I'll try the combos out based on my other weapons and see what comes of it. Thanks man.