Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

FBS posted:

I was set to pick up a TCL 55R615 today but then I did some additional research into the vertical banding problem and that scared me off. Even on the display unit at Best Buy it was really obvious after 30 seconds of the in-store demo footage, and I can tell it would drive me nuts. Evidently some panels are better than others but I'm really not interested in playing TV lottery.

So now I'm thinking of jumping back up past the $900 price point (X800E, NU8000) all the way to the 55" Sony X900F :v:. I'm gonna sleep on it but it looks like it does everything I want without any deal-breaking flaws. It's more than I wanted to spend but still within my budget.

Of course at that price point I'm also well into the 65" entry-level range. At ~8 feet from the screen the money should go towards better image quality rather than more real estate, right?

EDIT: Looks like the X930E is available at a few local Best Buys. It's $100 cheaper and RTings seems to rate them about the same, is there a good reason to splurge on the newer model?

TCL is the best bang for your buck IF you're willing to play the panel lottery. If not, getting one of the Sonys you mentioned is probably the way to go, if you can afford it.

the X930E is rated quite highly, although it is edge-lit I believe, if that matters to you. People generally regard edge lighting tvs inferior to FALD, although I think the 930 uses some special Sony algorithm that makes it end up looking better than say the X900E? Up to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

My understanding is the 930E has light guides that allow for some kind of local dimming magic and can get a bit brighter overall than the X900F but might not be as good in the dark room cave troll scenario.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

qirex posted:

My understanding is the 930E has light guides that allow for some kind of local dimming magic and can get a bit brighter overall than the X900F but might not be as good in the dark room cave troll scenario.

You have to make sure when the troll comes out of the cave that you shoot him three times with the magic arrows. Then his head will start to spin. Once that happens, you jump up on the boulder, you do a flying downward thrust with the sword of doom, and thats it - level six is done.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

As it happens, I brought the X930E home on Monday. Best Buy didn't have one on display and the sales kid thought it was discontinued and was shocked to find one in the back. He spoke quote highly of it while ringing me up, even compared to the X900F.

I'm very happy with it so far, it looks fantastic, though I'm still figuring out the inputs and picture settings and how to get UHD content.

I went in as a smart-TV agnostic but Android TV was kind of a hilarious disappointment. Slow and unintuitive and it doesn't have a native NHL app which is the first thing I searched for. I didn't know what to expect, but I thought it would be much slicker than this.

e: it's also really god damned heavy, I'm glad I didn't decide to wall mount this thing

FBS fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 19, 2018

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Don Lapre posted:

You have to make sure when the troll comes out of the cave that you shoot him three times with the magic arrows. Then his head will start to spin. Once that happens, you jump up on the boulder, you do a flying downward thrust with the sword of doom, and thats it - level six is done.

Based on this thread I think all you really need to do is play a 24p movie with smoothing turned on.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

FBS posted:

As it happens, I brought the X930E home on Monday. Best Buy didn't have one on display and the sales kid thought it was discontinued and was shocked to find one in the back. He spoke quote highly of it while ringing me up, even compared to the X900F.

I'm very happy with it so far, it looks fantastic, though I'm still figuring out the inputs and picture settings and how to get UHD content.

I went in as a smart-TV agnostic but Android TV was kind of a hilarious disappointment. Slow and unintuitive and it doesn't have a native NHL app which is the first thing I searched for. I didn't know what to expect, but I thought it would be much slicker than this.

e: it's also really god damned heavy, I'm glad I didn't decide to wall mount this thing

Yeah, AndroidTV is kind of a pain to deal with and feels sluggish. You can improve the performance noticeably by stopping a lot of useless background processes, there's guides/videos online on what's safe to shut off.

If you want UHD content, your best bet is like Amazon Prime/Netflix 4k tier/UHD player/one of the 4K game consoles.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Apart from a few audio codec issues from local content (which isn't a massive deal), I'm a happy Apple TV 4K user if you're looking for a set top box. There's usually a promotion to get one through DirecTV Now for like $100 or so which is a bargain. Has an NHL app ;)

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

qbert posted:

If you want UHD content, your best bet is like Amazon Prime/Netflix 4k tier/UHD player/one of the 4K game consoles.

I've got the first two and I'm trying to decide on the third. If Sony had put a dang 4k drive in the Pro it would be a no brainer, but I already have a PS4 and the Xbone is pointless now that Forza is available on PC. I may just wait for the holidays and try to find a UHD bluray player on sale.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

FBS posted:

Sony's built in version of Android TV is truly awful compared to the Shield TV. It's unfortunate what a burden it puts on people's expectations of it because I've used a Roku, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV and the Shield, nothing even comes close to the overall experience of the Shield TV in my case, especially with Plex and the lack of need to transcode basically anything.

For your current setup, it's not the best solution but sideloading the NHL apk works fine as well. I won't direct link the file here, but the install/APK is available at https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1025137/shield-tv/nhl-tv-app-/

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its no Sheild, but I found the AndroidTV fine on my brothers 850E. I ordered that TV today, BB had a couple of open box ones back in stock again at 1199 CAD so I went for it. It checks off all the boxes for me. You should be able to grab ES file explorer in the app store on the TV and install apps with that as well, downloading apks on another device and copying them to a flash drive. Even on the Shield there is gently caress all in the store. Not even a browser, besides some sketchy poo poo that originated from Russia if I remember correctly. But you can get whatever by manually downloading the apks

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

FBS posted:

I love my 930E, but I've had some issues with the hardware. The logic board failed and they sent me an extra power supply which did nothing, I had to eventually get home service from Sony to get it replaced. A few months later my tv didn't turn on again and but luckily the extra power supply worked. If anything else happens I hope it's before January when my Sony warranty runs out.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/sony-tv-settings-guide,review-5605-11.html
Mess around with a few of those settings so the AndroidTV isn't as bloated. And if you happen to use VUDU (you should totally get a Movies Anywhere account) the built in app doesn't support 4K or Dolby Vision so download the one from the Google Store which does (and now you'll have two versions of VUDU since you can't uninstall the one that comes with the system).

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Grandma's Boy, great movie!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I got 1080p @ 120hz from my PC working, hooray :toot: but the best part of going with last year's model is that it fits on top of this thing. The cable management with the detachable panels is also really nice.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Hey guys -- looking for a 4k/HDR TV for my Playstation 4 Pro. Last time I thought about buying a set, the Samsung 8000 something was recommended to me I think? 2016ish.

Whats a good around 42-49inches that's also somewhere between $600-$900? Is this too specific of a window? I don't know much about this stuff, honestly

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

omg chael crash posted:

Hey guys -- looking for a 4k/HDR TV for my Playstation 4 Pro. Last time I thought about buying a set, the Samsung 8000 something was recommended to me I think? 2016ish.

Whats a good around 42-49inches that's also somewhere between $600-$900? Is this too specific of a window? I don't know much about this stuff, honestly

TCL 49" 4K HDR - $429

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07989K4HB/ref=twister_B07BT8WDPX?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That's an ok cheap option, but be aware that it doesn't really have proper HDR because it doesn't get bright enough.

Slightly above your price range at $1099 is the 49" Sony X900F which is going to be the absolute best you can buy at that size.

There really aren't a lot of options topping out at 49", most manufacturers don't produce anything fully featured until 55".

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

bull3964 posted:

That's an ok cheap option, but be aware that it doesn't really have proper HDR because it doesn't get bright enough.

Slightly above your price range at $1099 is the 49" Sony X900F which is going to be the absolute best you can buy at that size.

There really aren't a lot of options topping out at 49", most manufacturers don't produce anything fully featured until 55".

Would going with the cheaper X900E model be a dumb idea?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Not at all. The X900F has some minor improvements, but nothing huge over the X900E. I just didn't know if there were any left out there.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Something Offal posted:

It's impressive to see the Chinese brand give Samsung / Sony / Vizio a run for their money, unfortunately because of years of terrible Chinese TVs people have developed brand loyalty almost like car brands based on perceived quality, so a name like TCL will throw a ton of low-information buyers away. They ought to start a new cool-sounding brand.

A 65" 4K Chinese TV in China has dropped to mere USD450. At this rate everybody else is going to leave the LCD business.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Palladium posted:

A 65" 4K Chinese TV in China has dropped to mere USD450. At this rate everybody else is going to leave the LCD business.

That's an impressive price drop yes, but I think there are crappy 65" '4k' panels in the US that have bad color reproduction, no HDR, etc. So I think one has to look deeper than the resolution to determine if it's a good deal. I'm not sure if the average consumer is going to do that, though.

I think brand power is huge in US TV sales. TCL will always have a tough time because of that.

When I find myself thinking the same thing about Chinese brands I always remind myself that the iPhone is made in China, one of the finest mass market products ever made.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 22, 2018

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I think I'm probably going to pick up the thread favorite TCL 55" for my new apartment, and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the stands with flat panel mounts on them (ex: this stand). I have a receiver and speakers, so having a little more flat space available that's high and wide enough for them would make my life a lot easier

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
The TCL R617 has a Canadian version on Amazon.ca now, though it's out of stock. Probably the best value for Canadians once it's properly available. It's about half the price as the Sony X900F for the 65" models up here.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

All the Canadian goons need to get together and start a store that brings good poo poo here, at a decent enough price.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Best 55 inch 4K HDR non-OLED for gaming in the UK?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I know this isnt really the thread for this but hopefully someone can help. I just got around to mounting my TV on the wall, and I'm looking for essentially what would be a very narrow set of shelving/entertainment center type thing for cable box, DVD player, etc., that sits on the floor, not mounted to the wall.

Space is limited, so pretty much looking for something wide enough for those items. Most of the stuff I see is wall mounted, but I rent and want to limit the amount of holes in the wall. Just not sure how to find exactly what I'm looking for, hopefully someone has some kind of recommendation.

Edit: upon further searching I guess I'm looking for an AV stand.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 27, 2018

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I know this isnt really the thread for this but hopefully someone can help. I just got around to mounting my TV on the wall, and I'm looking for essentially what would be a very narrow set of shelving/entertainment center type thing for cable box, DVD player, etc., that sits on the floor, not mounted to the wall.

Space is limited, so pretty much looking for something wide enough for those items. Most of the stuff I see is wall mounted, but I rent and want to limit the amount of holes in the wall. Just not sure how to find exactly what I'm looking for, hopefully someone has some kind of recommendation.

Edit: upon further searching I guess I'm looking for an AV stand.

Yeah AV stand or TV console should get you something. What's your max budget and Max depth?

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Best 55 inch 4K HDR non-OLED for gaming in the UK?

Probably the Samsung QE55Q8DN since it will have less lag than Sony but it's a QLED display so it will command a premium price.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/qled-4k-tvs/49--class-q6fn-qled-smart-4k-uhd-tv--2018--qn49q6fnafxza/

How's this bad boy look? Seems right in my price range, and I like the size and stupid fake chrome finish

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Keep in mind the 49" version of it uses a 60hz panel rather than 120hz.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

To be honest, I’m not sure what that means. How will that impact my PS4?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

For games, it's fine. It's not ideal for 24fps movies/scripted TV through I'm guessing motion processing helps that a bit. 120hz is the minimum refresh needed to display 24fps, 30fps, and 60fps material natively with a smooth cadence without interpolation.

Samsung is just notorious for the same model of tv being different for "reasons."

They're basically cheating the value proposition by decontenting the smaller size to increase margins on it.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 28, 2018

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!
Anyone experience pink/blue/other color tinting with their OLED? Pictures below are from my LG OLED65C8PUA that I've had for about a week now.

Solid color light grey slide:

Mad Max Fury Road Black & Chrome:

The angle of view doesn't matter. It's very obvious watching any black & white movie, or snow scenes in color movies.

Also seems to be fairly common based on this thread:
https://www.avforums.com/threads/2017-oled-yellow-red-tint.2119862/

Pretty disappointing for a ~$3,000 tv. Not sure if I want to go through hassle of exchanges that result in possibly worse tinting, or switch to a different technology all together. I'm not even sure how a tv with this much screen tinting variability could be properly calibrated.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Yeah AV stand or TV console should get you something. What's your max budget and Max depth?

Well I'm hoping to find something in stores so I can go grab it today, but I can't seem to find anything. I think some kind of regular small shelving unit thing would work fine.

Depth wise, smaller the better. Ideally something like 15x15 or smaller would be best, I don't have anything that large. I've got all the big box stores, along with poo poo like Ikea near me.

I think I would just say gently caress it and do small wall shelves, but I'm not sure how to handle the power cords as the socket is near the floor and I'm not sure how to make it not look stupid.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

KracKiwi posted:

Anyone experience pink/blue/other color tinting with their OLED? Pictures below are from my LG OLED65C8PUA that I've had for about a week now.

Solid color light grey slide:

Mad Max Fury Road Black & Chrome:

The angle of view doesn't matter. It's very obvious watching any black & white movie, or snow scenes in color movies.

Also seems to be fairly common based on this thread:
https://www.avforums.com/threads/2017-oled-yellow-red-tint.2119862/

Pretty disappointing for a ~$3,000 tv. Not sure if I want to go through hassle of exchanges that result in possibly worse tinting, or switch to a different technology all together. I'm not even sure how a tv with this much screen tinting variability could be properly calibrated.

I know with LCD this is a voltage problem that requires a panel replacement. Looks a lot like that, don’t know how it works exactly such that I don’t know if the same problem would crop up on OLED.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I live in Luxembourg and I'm trying to get a new 55" tv in the €500 - 700 bracket, and research has pointed me towards the TCL range. As far as I can tell the R617 isn't available in Europe, I'm limited by what I can find on German amazon or possibly other German companies that might deliver here. I did find these tvs though:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B06VW5FFLD/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&psc=1

https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B07GBQZTX8/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&psc=1

Are either of them analogous to the older, but still pretty good, P607 series? All of the different model numbers confuse me and I don't speak German. Any help would be much appreciated.

Failing finding a decent TCL, I'll probably just get this samsung, unless anyone can suggest anything better?

https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B07B6JMD2Q/ref=ox_sc_act_image_3?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&psc=1

Alligator Tower
Aug 22, 2004

Help me decide between the Q7FN vs X900F.

I'm not the most knowledgeable about TVs, but from most of what I've been hearing the X900F seems to be better. The one thing stopping me from pulling the trigger is the 40ms input lag for 1080 content. I'm looking forward to the new smash bros and I'm a little worried about that input lag being above the cusp of reasonable.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
So I did some research and it seems the TCL tvs are totally different depending on region, which sucks for me, because the ones on sale here don't have a lot of the nice features like Dolby vision which set the US ones apart.

So I'm looking at this Samsung, but I can't work out if it's the same as this model, reviewed on rtings.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So I finally got my X850E (open box deal). Couple things. Is there any way to change the input on my receiver with the remote? Can arc send sound from other HDMI inputs to the receiver if not?
I used rtings calibration settings but man, I didn't like it. Probably because it's too dim for my bright room.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Calibration settings are at best a good starting point for things like contrast though they can help you through your particular manufacturers version of motion smoothing and dynamic contrast if they’re difficult to puzzle through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
As my old , 2007 vintage 42" panasonic plasma keeps on soldiering on, I do my yearly hemming and hawing over replacing a perfectly good TV with an OLED. Any big reasons to wait for the 9-series LGs or should I just get the C8 when the Black Friday deals come? Clearly I'm not in a rush.