Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah, i use that trick all the time for idiot losers i can't be bothered to work with anymore. i remember my very first game there was some douchebag who had abrasive, annoying voice, and depressive. this absolute caricature of a human being was loving pissing everyone off and causing social fights left and right so i dropped his stupid rear end into an ancient danger pod until the ship was ready a year later - at which point he popped out of the ancient danger casket and into the ship casket, just being awake long enough to drunkenly stumble to the ship so the AI could push the button.

this was back in like A14 or A15 so this was way before exiling was a thing

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Whats the best way to clear out ancient danger rooms?

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Waiting for a raid who will path near the ancient danger and sending a pawn to deconstruct/blow a wall.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

cugel posted:

Waiting for a raid who will path near the ancient danger and sending a pawn to deconstruct/blow a wall.

Gotcha

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
You have literally all the time in the world to deal with one, so it's pretty trivial to get some turrets and IEDs set up, then have your least favorite colonist deconstruct the wall and run like hell. Assuming that it's not in an easy position to cheese.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ancient dangers aren't usually too bad in my experience. If you have the tech to deal with mechanoids, you have the tech to deal with anything a danger can throw at you.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

bug ancient dangers can be a real problem because they spawn with hives. if you don't deal with them right away, they will become an intractable problem that you might just have to abandon the map for.

mechanoid ancient dangers are no problem at all. too bad you can't see which one it is before opening it.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
I can’t be the only one who gets prisoners addicted to and ODed on yayo before setting them free if I don’t want them around any longer

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Sten Freak posted:

I can’t be the only one who gets prisoners addicted to and ODed on yayo before setting them free if I don’t want them around any longer

there was an entire bizarre meta around getting pirate prisoners addicted to luci and letting them go for a while in this thread because when they showed up again they'd always be carrying a fistful of luci pills

it was stupid.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

:mad:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

For the love of God!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

T-man posted:

For the love of God!

Yes, for the love of God.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Yall talkin about how it's not optimal to have weird sadistic colony policies misunderstand the entire point of rimworld. It's not called utopiaworld anyways and the challenge isn't to survive it's to see how sadistically messed up of a colony you can keep chugging along at maximum levels of comfort and happiness, duh

yall probably played sim city with the disasters off, too. I mean look, I didn't ask for all these psychopath bloodlusty hungry cannibals, but by god I want them to at least be happy here, yknow?

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 26, 2018

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

took me a moment to figure out this wasn't some kind of mod that lets pigs mine stuff

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Phoenix Taichou posted:

took me a moment to figure out this wasn't some kind of mod that lets pigs mine stuff

That would be silly. Unless the meteor is pig iron.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Loss edits are abstract these days.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
drat, Muffaloes eat a LOT of haygrass! Tried to maintain 10 for some long distance iron trading, but they ate through 6000 units during winter and I had to slaughter half of them.

I did get some milk and wool along the way though.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So my current colony's mindset has been that there's no problem that more muffalo cannot solve. My question for you all is, how many muffalo would it take to solve this problem?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Internet Explorer posted:

So my current colony's mindset has been that there's no problem that more muffalo cannot solve. My question for you all is, how many muffalo would it take to solve this problem?

Depends whether you're using them as soldiers or fuel.

Actually, that's a question, if you set a pawn on fire, do they generate heat while burning alive, or only after they die?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh no! We're going to need more muffalo.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

2 per spelopede and 3 per megaspider would be safe, in my opinion. The muffalos would have a chance to stun, which would make things nicer.

You could probably go 1.5/spelopede and 2 per megaspider if you are okay risking it.

1 per megascarab is generally what I'd use. You only risk a megascarab getting lucky, otherwise, a few hits from a muffalo brings it down.

If you've got melee pawns, then bringing them in with the muffalos taking first hit and then dividing up the chance for the bug to hit them next could provide some excellent DPS while providing reasonable colonist protection.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
So have construction fail rates been increased? I've got a level 18 architect who has hosed up many, many attempts to build a vanilla ship reactor and has burnt through my entire stock of plasteel trying, and who knows how much uranium and advanced components. Isn't the cost of materials high enough without having to quintuple it with dumbassery?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Construction success chance caps at 100% (around 8 construction skill, I think?) in vanilla, which means that any injury that effects manipulation will add a chance to fail, period. There's a mod I don't remember the name of right now that lets the chance to succeed go above 100 for that specific reason, but otherwise your 20 skill master builder who lost a finger to a squirrel attack two years ago will still have like a 5% of catastrophically loving up.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug

Keeshhound posted:

Construction success chance caps at 100% (around 8 construction skill, I think?) in vanilla, which means that any injury that effects manipulation will add a chance to fail, period. There's a mod I don't remember the name of right now that lets the chance to succeed go above 100 for that specific reason, but otherwise your 20 skill master builder who lost a finger to a squirrel attack two years ago will still have like a 5% of catastrophically loving up.

Good call. She lost a goddamn arm somewhere along the line but was putting out mastercraft furniture anyway. I never noticed. The hell, this game.

Upon further thought, she was loving up with laying floor tiles and I was like "huh" but it didn't really click. Details, friends, cost a lot.

Mindless fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 26, 2018

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mindless posted:

So have construction fail rates been increased? I've got a level 18 architect who has hosed up many, many attempts to build a vanilla ship reactor and has burnt through my entire stock of plasteel trying, and who knows how much uranium and advanced components. Isn't the cost of materials high enough without having to quintuple it with dumbassery?

Double check their hediffs and part efficiency. I'd bet my 10 year old colony that your architect has something reducing their manipulation or vision.

e: f,b

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mindless posted:

Good call. She lost a goddamn arm somewhere along the line but was putting out mastercraft furniture anyway. I never noticed. The hell, this game.

Upon further thought, she was loving up with laying floor tiles and I was like "huh" but it didn't really click. Details, friends, cost a lot.

I've done this exact same thing and it bred an obsessive tendency to check the health status of all my colonists every quadrum or so just so I'm up to date on stuff that might gently caress up their ability to do their jobs.

I've actually started to really enjoy how my long term veteran colonists slowly acquire random replacement parts to fix problems. Johnny "Squirrel Scar On The Eyeball" Crafterman finally moving up to a bionic eye and so on.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
If you claim all the exterior walls of an ancient danger building, will enemy sapper raids attempt to tunnel through it? Could you integrate the building into your defensive wall?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

If you claim all the exterior walls of an ancient danger building, will enemy sapper raids attempt to tunnel through it? Could you integrate the building into your defensive wall?

sometimes they burrow through it anyway, it doesn't need to be part of your walls. But, you could make it part of your walls if you wanted.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

This looks like a problem for boomalopes. You do tame the boomalopes, right?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Sappers will go through ancient dangers yes, even if they haven't been opened.

I once had a 10 man city faction team try to sap me though a very heavily populated insect ancient danger. The dude got hosed up hard, and all but one died, the other dude escaped.

Seeing as they had incendiary launchers, they set fire to all the hives and the bugs and exterminated the lot and everything dropped and all the caskets.

Once I realised that this was gonna take care of itself I drafted up all my colonists, made them pick up 10 blunts each and line up outside the ancient danger watching. I made them chain smoke all their blunts until they downed themselves while this huge loving train wreck played out in front of them.

I can only imagine what a wonderful cinematic experience it would have been to watch, while so high on the weeds you cannot even walk.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
This seems like a cool mod for cool people: Eating without a table is a war crime

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

This looks like a problem for boomalopes. You do tame the boomalopes, right?

:aaaaa:

No, I've been too busy taming and breeding muffalo. I'm up to like 40 or so. I was able to fight off that psyonic ship part by putting my herd in a zone around it, then shooting it with guns while the mechanoids that popped out got mobbed by muffalo. Lost 4 or so, but hey, they got used to their fullest.

I may have to tame some boomalopes. I assume I don't nerd to train them to release, just zone a bunch to walk in there.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I may have to tame some boomalopes. I assume I don't nerd to train them to release, just zone a bunch to walk in there.

Yeah that would work, but I just train mine to release in case of a siege or poison ship that requires an excursion. Also, you milk chemfuel from boomalopes and chemfuel gens are pretty good for power.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Boomalopes are basically low tech mortars

E: that give frankly a ton of chemfuel

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

:aaaaa:

No, I've been too busy taming and breeding muffalo. I'm up to like 40 or so. I was able to fight off that psyonic ship part by putting my herd in a zone around it, then shooting it with guns while the mechanoids that popped out got mobbed by muffalo. Lost 4 or so, but hey, they got used to their fullest.

Yeah, I just zone them where I want them to go. They are good against insects since insects melee and then hang around, so a downed boomalope that booms 4 hours later is still likely to be in range to do damage. Plus boomalopes can go undermountain where mortars can't fire.

The only tricky part is where you keep them when you aren't using them as walking mortars. One time I didn't notice I'd run out of hay until the boomalopes started spontaneously exploding from starvation. Oops. Now I like to have a stone barn with individual 'stalls' to prevent chain reactions when things go wrong.

This one has the beds 7 tiles apart. 5 seems to be enough to prevent them from igniting the guy across the way if you're short on space. Just don't give the barn wooden floors or use it to store anything flammable (including hay/kibble) in the possible explosion zone. If you wind up with way too many boomalopes it's better to sell them than try to kill the extras, but if you are desperate for food and need to kill a few, having a good shooter stand in the bed opposite a sleeping boomalope and shoot it will often succeed without injury or fire (occasionally the boomalope will be injured without being downed, and start running around while bleeding to death which can be bad).

Oh, and on the plus side predators don't attack boomalopes, you can include areas outside the walls for grazing if need be. Though doing that means your workers need to go farther to milk and haul the chemfuel. Everything is a trade off.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
re: barns, is there any real reason not to keep all my muffaloes cooped up together with hay?

like, will impressiveness do anything, or is it all aesthetics?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
don't listen to them, absolutely try to manually slaughter boomalopes sometime

make a save immediately before queueing up 15 for slaughter

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
Dumb new player here, how do you guys solve your early game food problem? I swear my guys eat like 40 tons of meat a day.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

AppleDan posted:

Dumb new player here, how do you guys solve your early game food problem? I swear my guys eat like 40 tons of meat a day.

A fairly extensive rice field will see you through the early game. Rice grows very quickly and in decent quantity, which you can churn into simple meals to keep everyone going indefinitely. You'll want to switch to corn(if you have rich soil) or potatos(if you don't) later on once you feel you have stable food stores because the quick grow cycle and poor-ish nutritional value of rice means it sucks up a ton of farm labor time, but for the early game rice can't be beat, especially if you supplement it with hunting.

One of the very first things I do whenever I land is plan out a decent rice field(i try to shoot for at least 9 tiles of rice per colonist, so at least 9x9 for a normal crashlanded start), a cotton field, and a smaller healroot field(if I have a grower capable of growing it off the bat).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

So cute! :3:

You can't put bionic arms on a T-Rex, make sense, but a small disappointment nonetheless.