Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

not caring here posted:

I'm sure I've heard that Google fi works in Kuwait. No idea if it works in your particular area though.

When I was there T-Mobile did with their free international roaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

You just might be the oldest Gipper. Seriously. And I’m old for this place. Your loving ancient though.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

A Bad Poster posted:

There are plenty of lunatics out there who just want to kill people without facing any repercussions. Knew plenty of them during my time, I steered clear of all of them.

And that little boys name was...

...Chris Kyle.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

You just might be the oldest Gipper.

I think you're right.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

drat, I was still making GBS threads my pants in 1985. Tell us stories of the Cold War military.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Defleshed and Joat are the oldest otherwise, I think, and defleshed hasn't posted in ~3 years last I looked.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Whatever happened to Greenmeat? That dude was old as gently caress too, cool guy though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

DoktorLoken posted:

Whatever happened to Greenmeat? That dude was old as gently caress too, cool guy though.

Retired and is living on a farm away from the rough and tumble life of the army and the internet.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

also torgeux

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

You got me by 3 years. Did Navy boot in Orlando in 88. The drat base is even gone now.
Oh well, back to lurking.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Meydey posted:

You got me by 3 years. Did Navy boot in Orlando in 88. The drat base is even gone now.
Oh well, back to lurking.

How does one just lurk and not want to roll around in the poop?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

A powerful argument for joining the United States military, for sure.

Also, a good thread title.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I did 10 in the 82nd too.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Lots of people itt admitting to making bad decisions when they were younger

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I was 29 when I enlisted. Stupidly is not solely a foible of youth, friend.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I'm 30 and contemplating a commission. It's barely a rung up on the stupid ladder, but still. I've learned nothing from this forum.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

My urge to stupid has been tainted by 26 years of non-mil life. Oh wait 25 years, totally blocked the wasted year of active reserves.
At least now I get a free burger once a year at Red Robin. Back then no one gave two shits you were in.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I was 29 when I enlisted. Stupidly is not solely a foible of youth, friend.

Lol 37.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

In a row?!

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

McNally posted:

In a row?!

Try not to suck any dicks in the parking lot!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Hell yeah :respek:

There's a certain amount of satisfaction in being already done due to age with some master jack powertripping all over you. Also a lot of alcoholism. But mostly knowing that, like, this loving idiot can't fire you no matter how much he dislikes you. Those years I spent civvie-side, wondering if today was the day I would lose my only income because some 23 y/o fuckstain decided I wasn't sucking his dick hard enough, they prepared me for the sheer amount of assfucking the military would heap upon me because I dared to be on a mandatory course.

The military is dumb, but it's nowhere near as bad as working casual/part-time at Michaels.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That says more about how lovely things are in general than about the army being bad.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I was 21 when I enlisted, so I was still in the truly stupid phase.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

DoktorLoken posted:

drat, I was still making GBS threads my pants in 1985. Tell us stories of the Cold War military.

I went in in 88 and sadly, while the technology may have changed, the stupidity is the same.

September 1988 is when I went to MEPS and the OP of this thread could pretty much have been written then. Cells phones weren't a thing and smoking weed, etc. was a little more under the table but the only real difference was we hadn't been in a major conflict in over a decade, the Soviets were the boogeymen, and no one really stressed over them because we all just figured there was no way the grunts were going in, we'd all just nuke one another.

3 years later things changed pretty dramatically. Cold War Army was weird.

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
I enlisted in November, 1994 and at the time it looked like we may not even have a Navy in a few years. Cold War was over, Gulf War was over, BRAC was closing bases left and right. I got a ribbon for sitting off the coast of Bosnia listening to the radio for two months in 1996 and I thought that might be the last opportunity for a generation to earn anything remotely combat-related.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I enlisted in 2005 and literally ended up in Guantanamo Bay, 0/100 would not get rear end in a top hat/balls looked at by old man again

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Navy is the only branch that really needs to exist.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Mr. Nice! posted:

same but space force, orbital drops will solve everything

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I signed papers in May of 2001 for the sweet college money

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
I was so gung ho I enlisted early, in 11th grade, and turned down the GI bill in boot. Making nuke decisions even before nuke school.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Meydey posted:

I was so gung ho I enlisted early, in 11th grade, and turned down the GI bill in boot. Making nuke decisions even before nuke school.

Ladies and gentlemen....the winner.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

I largely agree. The Marines should be much smaller and most of the Army manpower should be in the Reserve/ARNG.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Meydey posted:

new thread title imo

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
If it helps, I was the first to drop out of Nuke A school, kept e-3, and got transfered to OS A school in Dam Neck. poo poo they made me the class leader because I was e-3, over a bunch of e-1s.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

DoktorLoken posted:

I largely agree. The Marines should be much smaller and most of the Army manpower should be in the Reserve/ARNG.

medical reserves/ng 100% makes sense. 50% of our company were in school or currently working a medical job irl. paramedics, nursing students, PA students, hospital techs, etc. all that experience was brought in, and once signed off by a doc is allowed to do whatever they’re qualified for, in a well-run environment.

plus they teach it to other people

idk maybe im making too much of it, but one of our paramedic soldiers pointed that out after our deployment and it was a eureka moment for me

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Also engineering (skilled trades, engineers, etc.), signal, maybe MI, etc. can probably get more experienced people from their civilian careers than a bunch of junior enlisted with expensive AITs that sweep rocks on the active side.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

DoktorLoken posted:

Also engineering (skilled trades, engineers, etc.), signal, maybe MI, etc. can probably get more experienced people from their civilian careers than a bunch of junior enlisted with expensive AITs that sweep rocks on the active side.

I fondly remember sweeping the two lane road on post in the desert of Arizona during my AIT. I have no idea what it cost the government (I've heard a wide range of figures) for that year of training, but I'm sure it was money well spent.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
How the hell do you decline GI Bill in boot camp?? Does this mean no education money?

Also, 11th grade-were you 17 or 18?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
There was like a hundred dollar a month contribution or something to get the actual GI Bill or something? Maybe something to do with post 9/11 gi bill, details are a little fuzzy. But when I went through there was a bunch of retards that said paying 100 dollars a month to get a poo poo pile of money later is for fuckin' idiots and queers and why would you ever do that.

I literally get twice what I paid into it over 12 months, every drat month, AND school paid for but what do I know I'm just some idiot queer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

not caring here posted:

There was like a hundred dollar a month contribution or something to get the actual GI Bill or something? Maybe something to do with post 9/11 gi bill, details are a little fuzzy. But when I went through there was a bunch of retards that said paying 100 dollars a month to get a poo poo pile of money later is for fuckin' idiots and queers and why would you ever do that.

I literally get twice what I paid into it over 12 months, every drat month, AND school paid for but what do I know I'm just some idiot queer.

That was the MGIB, you had to pay into it back in the days before Bin Laden gave us our education benefits