Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

Kanos posted:

A fairly extensive rice field will see you through the early game. Rice grows very quickly and in decent quantity, which you can churn into simple meals to keep everyone going indefinitely. You'll want to switch to corn(if you have rich soil) or potatos(if you don't) later on once you feel you have stable food stores because the quick grow cycle and poor-ish nutritional value of rice means it sucks up a ton of farm labor time, but for the early game rice can't be beat, especially if you supplement it with hunting.

One of the very first things I do whenever I land is plan out a decent rice field(i try to shoot for at least 9 tiles of rice per colonist, so at least 9x9 for a normal crashlanded start), a cotton field, and a smaller healroot field(if I have a grower capable of growing it off the bat).

Thanks for the advice! I usually set down a few 5x15 plots of rice, healroot, and corn when I first land. I find that my cook can't prepare meals faster than my fatties can scarf em down, usually having like one at the end of a full day of nothing but cooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Put a shelf next to your stove for vegetables, and another nearby for meals. That should help your cook spend less time walking in and out of the freezer, and colonists will eat meals faster than they deteriorate.

Once you've researched it, add another shelf for meat and a task to make pemmican forever and drop it on the ground; nutritionally it's just as efficient as simple meals, but keeps longer and colonists will only eat what they need. Whereas a simple meal provides .8 nutrition, and is completely consumed by a colonist even if they only need .6, each unit of pemmican is .05, and they'll take however much they need to fill themselves, which means you'll end up saving the excess over time.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 27, 2018

wit
Jul 26, 2011

AppleDan posted:

Dumb new player here, how do you guys solve your early game food problem? I swear my guys eat like 40 tons of meat a day.
Everyone's a dumb player here new or old. Regardless of how spreadsheety you get the game will always throw you a curve ball, it goes out of its way to.

Rice and even foraging can be good early on and you can pretty much just start cooking without completing refrigeration because until you have enough stuff to be making fine meals your colony are going to be hand to mouth the second something is cooked. Obviously refrigeration is a must but it took me a while to get over the idea of setting up a full kitchen before starting cooking orders. A little trick is to put stools directly left and right of where the cook sits and make a critical stockpile for veg and meat on either side of them. Set the work order to just drop the food on the ground and it makes for a nice assembly line where the cook does no hauling and has everything brought and taken away from them. Getting a stockpile of food early on feels like escaping earths gravity.

One other thing that can't be overstated is making some kind of flooring as early as you can. My first few playthroughs I thought of them as just a flourish to keep colonists from getting pissy, but the time it takes to make even one or two roads in the main stomping grounds you'll see pay off immediately. Having all of your first pawns be able to move at 100% speed is almost like adding an extra pawn in terms of work done every day.

Keeshhound posted:

Put a shelf next to your stove for vegetables, and another nearby for meals. That should help your cook spend less time walking in and out of the freezer, and colonists will eat meals faster than they deteriorate.time.

e:f;b

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Does the stool trick still work? I would have sworn it got patched out, but maybe I just stopped using it and assumed.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I just immediately make a corn field over the nearest rich soil patch upon starting a new colony. It's ready by the time the packaged survival meals run out and lets you make enough simple meals for quadrums.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

Does the stool trick still work? I would have sworn it got patched out, but maybe I just stopped using it and assumed.

Truth be told I could still be doing that and only believing it still works super well, I stopped playing the game for a good 8 months or so and only got back into it! I don't see why they would have patched it out though, it does have a certain real logic to it. Anyway AppleDan go with Keeshhound's advise over mine. Except the roads thing, roads are important.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Yeah, roads are absolutely worth it; you can even go with just flat concrete and colonists won't mind since they already think dirt is ugly (-1 beauty).

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hot diggity drat EMP grenades are powerful. Definitely a must-have for psychic/poison ship parts.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I built into the side of a mountain and have been using "smooth floor" and "smooth wall" all over the place. You get %100 movement rate and 3 beauty from smoothed floors and it requires zero resources. It takes awhile to smooth but it works as an easy construction level grinder in early game.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
How do you make roads work? The one game I tried to make a decent paved road network between major areas of the map I would see the dumb motherfuckers walk two steps down the road then walk off of it to go out and around a rock that had nothing to do with the road before staying on the dirt right next to the road the rest of the way. Was a complete waste of time and materials.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Keeshhound posted:

Put a shelf next to your stove for vegetables, and another nearby for meals. That should help your cook spend less time walking in and out of the freezer, and colonists will eat meals faster than they deteriorate.

Once you've researched it, add another shelf for meat and a task to make pemmican forever and drop it on the ground; nutritionally it's just as efficient as simple meals, but keeps longer and colonists will only eat what they need. Whereas a simple meal provides .8 nutrition, and is completely consumed by a colonist even if they only need .6, each unit of pemmican is .05, and they'll take however much they need to fill themselves, which means you'll end up saving the excess over time.

Nice nice, thanks. I'll try this out when the crops grow, we got hit by a fuckin cold snap.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

bird food bathtub posted:

How do you make roads work? The one game I tried to make a decent paved road network between major areas of the map I would see the dumb motherfuckers walk two steps down the road then walk off of it to go out and around a rock that had nothing to do with the road before staying on the dirt right next to the road the rest of the way. Was a complete waste of time and materials.

Walls along the road. Pawns prefer diagonal paths to straight ones whenever possible.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

AppleDan posted:

Nice nice, thanks. I'll try this out when the crops grow, we got hit by a fuckin cold snap.

Build an 11*11 room with a sun lamp in the middle and a heater and a battery or two in the corner, link them to a pair of solar panels and you can keep growing through winter.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Walls along the road. Pawns prefer diagonal paths to straight ones whenever possible.

It's the straightest path! :downs:

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 27, 2018

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

Build an 11*11 room with a sun lamp in the middle and a heater and a battery or two in the corner, link them to a pair of solar panels and you can keep growing through winter.

Yeah the ultimate move in colony redundancy and survival is to set yourself up a greenhouse deep inside your base so there's always a source of food.

This is also very useful for when toxic fallout or a cold snap strikes.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
They're also pretty much required for devilstrand anywhere that's not equatorial.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

After many tries and reloads, I finally managed to burn the bug infestation to the ground. I put some stools inside the corridor where the bugs could not see, then moved my boomrats in and locked the door. I had to reinforced a lot of the outer walls because apparently fire makes the bugs dig like crazy. Now the only question is what to do with all these corpses.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 27, 2018

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
If you butcher them you can turn the meat into kibble or chemfuel without issue. Same with human meat.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Alchenar posted:

Yeah the ultimate move in colony redundancy and survival is to set yourself up a greenhouse deep inside your base so there's always a source of food.

My strategy for toxic fallout is a bug-out colony 2 hexes away (ideally with a road between). You can caravan between in about 2 hours and its an easy way to double your resources. Toxic Fallout hits you? Bug-out and wait for it to pass.

Plus invasions go by THAT colonies time & wealth, not Global, so it's a good way of getting new colonists and spreading out your wealth.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Toxic fallout tends not to bother me really because it's basically just a form of winter that's inordinately lethal to any other fuckers who want to come hang around.

And given I play with climate cycle on, winter reaches -50 and lasts years at a time.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah my compounds tend to be pretty integrated so toxic fallout just means everyone needs to chip in putting roofs up between the compound buildings. it’s done in a couple of hours and from there I just need to make sure that I swap fast growing crops like rice for slower ones like corn so the soil does more work than my farmers for a bit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wouldn't slow crops be useless because they die before they grow?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Didn’t have any problem during the last fallout event I had.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fair enough. As said I need greenhouses by the end of the first year anyway so I've never tried growing in fallout before.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Corn is better in greenhouses anyway, if you're not using hydroponics.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah last fallout event I had was in a rainforest with eternal summer so I did not give any fucks about your stupid “cold” stuff it sounds like a myth made up by big greenhouse to get our sun lamps man

that’s how they get u

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
I disable toxic fallout in most of my games, it was interesting and a threat the first time, since then it's just busy work that I don't care about.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Pretty much annihilated my food problem with that sun lamp, even more so when I got to hydroponics. It was touch and go there for a while when we got to the dead of winter, id like to give a quick shoutout to the 3 lynxes that spawned that kept us well fed until the Rice Boom could really kick in.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nosfereefer posted:

re: barns, is there any real reason not to keep all my muffaloes cooped up together with hay?

like, will impressiveness do anything, or is it all aesthetics?

For muffalos you don't really need to do anything specific, no. They don't even need a barn except as a hedge against toxic fallout and to slow down the deterioration of the hay. They don't need shelter. They also don't need access to fresh air or sunlight. You can restrict them to a room deep under the mountain with a pile of hay and they'll be fine. Or let them wander all the grazeable territory freely and they'll also be fine, except for the occasional predator.

Chickens (and maybe other domesticated animals like cows and pigs?) need a barn or coop with minimal climate control to protect them from extreme weather. Otherwise they start dropping during cold snaps and heat waves and it becomes extra work to deal with them.

Boomalopes need a barn specifically due to the danger presented by sick or injured boomalopes. If a boomalope is downed some idiot will go grab it and take it to the nearest animal bed for treatment -- which can real bad if your only animal sleeping spots are crowded together in your chicken coop or barn where a detonating boomalope can take out half your livestock.

Aesthetically a barn is going to be ugly no matter what you do, because animals keep pooping in there. And birthing. And vomiting. Statues can only do so much to mitigate every square covered in filth. Pasturing them in a meadow means no filth to clean up. Keeping them cooped up makes it easier to milk and shear them though. I think a dirt floor doesn't show filth, so if you don't have a top notch cleaning crew a dirt floor may end up less ugly than a filthy stone or wood floor.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Coolguye posted:

yeah last fallout event I had was in a rainforest with eternal summer so I did not give any fucks about your stupid “cold” stuff it sounds like a myth made up by big greenhouse to get our sun lamps man

that’s how they get u

Toxic fallout randomly kills outdoor crops regardless of temperature, in my experience you might end up getting a half crop at best of something slow growing like corn. It's good enough if you're not already short on food but not optimal.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Keeshhound posted:

Yes it does. I may have convinced Tynan it's important:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=36798.msg376948#msg376948

I made a super simple mod called "Shelves not Stools" that adds a path cost to shelves, then you can use them instead. I haven't uploaded it to steam yet, though.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Wow he needs to swap around whatever code that allows that to happen to the shelves instead.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

McGiggins posted:

Wow he needs to swap around whatever code that allows that to happen to the shelves instead.
It's very simple, just give the shelves a path cost. Judging from the reply to that thread, that'll probably happen in the next patch.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

ShadowHawk posted:

Yes it does. I may have convinced Tynan it's important:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=36798.msg376948#msg376948

I made a super simple mod called "Shelves not Stools" that adds a path cost to shelves, then you can use them instead. I haven't uploaded it to steam yet, though.

Change for next version of Rimworld that will forbid placing stockpile zones or shelves in 3x3 area around crafting stations confirmed.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Naw, path cost will just be changed so pawns have to walk onto the tile to pick it up, so stools will slow them.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Don't jinx us you fool!

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."
I just wanna test something - can you guys quote this post with a colonist description and a gist of skills, traits etc - can be as wild and gimmicky as you like, I want to test knocking up goon colonist requests using the point buy system in Prepare Carefully. I'm looking for three for now.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Phoenix Taichou posted:

I just wanna test something - can you guys quote this post with a colonist description and a gist of skills, traits etc - can be as wild and gimmicky as you like, I want to test knocking up goon colonist requests using the point buy system in Prepare Carefully. I'm looking for three for now.

Pyromaniac, gourmand, chemical fascination Sheriff.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Phoenix Taichou posted:

Lazy, Chemical Interest, Night Owl and Can't Clean, whatever else.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Alchenar posted:

Also one important part of this trick is to understand to *not* use the hydroponics pods but the ground soil itself; the plants in the hydro will die out during a solar flare, but indoor garden with solar lamps and stuff planted directly to the soil just have permanent night until the flare blows over. In the arctic zone you also might want to consider dedicating one geothermal vent to keep the place above 0 at all times.

If you go under the mountain, basically the only mostly guaranteed harvest crop will be rice because it grows fast enough to dodge Random Randy's "get hosed" events.

EDIT: It should also be mentioned that at least in vanilla, the hydroponics is a false flag; it seems great in paper but because of reasons mentioned above, it is just a resource sink that will cost laughable amount of components and steel to keep in functional order, so that you can have a small and unreliable rice field. I do not know if it is balanced anywhere sane since the A16, but the soil-trick still works so why bother?

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Der Kyhe posted:

I do not know if it is balanced anywhere sane since the A16, but the soil-trick still works so why bother?

Sorry, soil-trick?