Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Polo-Rican posted:

which country is this originally from?

Japari Park

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Takoluka posted:

Japari Park

Anime, uh, Anime finds a way

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
"Ah ah ah, you didn't say the magic word!"

"WEEB! I hate this otaku crap!"

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Are the people posting the bowsette stuff new to the internet or something

Barudak
May 7, 2007

whaley posted:

Are the people posting the bowsette stuff new to the internet or something

No, theyre just Nintendo level horny

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There's a Pilotwings clone on Switch now? How bad is it?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Octopath is a game that I lied to myself to get through.

I didn't really care for the music and all the fights boiled down to leghold trap/envenom/shackle foe. The stories are all kind of boring and while they do have a hidden plot connection they don't do a single interesting thing with it other than provide a super boss that requires a disgusting amount of grinding to fight properly. Not to mention how the dungeons are all ultra simple hallways at best with 0 puzzles involved. You either go the obvious route or the guaranteed dead end for a chest with (usually) bad equipment in it or a potion.
Hell even the path actions are half baked like H'annit's challenge where you'll never want to use it because it's implemented so poorly. Or Therion who on the other hand is the only one able to open purple chests which are the only ones usually worth a drat so you never want to be without him.

It's a game where I loved the mechanics and premise and a lot of the art looks really good but boy is it a game I'll never play again. It hit at the perfect time where I was starved enough for a jrpg but now that I have DQ it just feels like a joke.

E: Also I feel like the job system itself was mishandled here which is bizarre considering BD/BS. Every subjob seemed to be best on the characters foil which made customizing pretty strict until you get the 4 super jobs- which then were only really good on a certain character anyway. I spent the game with my black mage acting as a white as well, white mage acting as a black mage.
Merchant and Thief, Thief and Merchant etc.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 27, 2018

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I played Octopath as a "Bewildering Dance" betting game and I loved it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Octopath is a game that I lied to myself to get through.

I didn't really care for the music and all the fights boiled down to leghold trap/envenom/shackle foe. The stories are all kind of boring and while they do have a hidden plot connection they don't do a single interesting thing with it other than provide a super boss that requires a disgusting amount of grinding to fight properly. Not to mention how the dungeons are all ultra simple hallways at best with 0 puzzles involved. You either go the obvious route or the guaranteed dead end for a chest with (usually) bad equipment in it or a potion.
Hell even the path actions are half baked like H'annit's challenge where you'll never want to use it because it's implemented so poorly. Or Therion who on the other hand is the only one able to open purple chests which are the only ones usually worth a drat so you never want to be without him.

It's a game where I loved the mechanics and premise and a lot of the art looks really good but boy is it a game I'll never play again. It hit at the perfect time where I was starved enough for a jrpg but now that I have DQ it just feels like a joke.

E: Also I feel like the job system itself was mishandled here which is bizarre considering BD/BS. Every subjob seemed to be best on the characters foil which made customizing pretty strict until you get the 4 super jobs- which then were only really good on a certain character anyway. I spent the game with my black mage acting as a white as well, white mage acting as a black mage.
Merchant and Thief, Thief and Merchant etc.

I disagree with just about everything in here. Excpet Therion should be your main because chests. Jobs in particular. Your merchant is the strongest sorcerer in the game fyi.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barudak posted:

They did. There was a brain training for the 3DS that sold like 20,000 copies when the original sold millions upon millions.

I think this is kind of a nutshell why Nintendo's backed off on the casual appeal; they already got burned badly once trying to recapture the Wii's lightning in a bottle. The casual market can be insane if the planets align the right way but is ultimately fickle.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cyrus is an awful white mage because healing power is based on defense not attack.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hori D-Pad Joycon trip report: Its good yall

There isnt much to say about it really. The mark of a good interface is that you dont think about it. Once I started a game with the D-Pad Joycon, I really didnt think about it much at all except to say "yeah, this is what it should be". The struggle I have in the main 2D platformers I'm playing right now (Broforce, Mario 3, Sonic Mania, Sonic Sega Ages) is that I never really can find a good balance between using the stick (sacrilege) or the buttons (OK, but not great), so I switch between them sometimes, or just stick it out with the buttons. The D-Pad joycon fixes that problem. It works great, its not clicky, but not mushy either, its "snappy" maybe?

I think the highest praise I can give it is that it made me stop thinking about D-Pad's while playing, which is exactly what should happen. At $25, if you play D-Pad games portable, its more than worth the cost of entry. Its probably worth its weight in gold for reduced gently caress ups in Puyo alone.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

all the fights boiled down to leghold trap/envenom/shackle foe

I basically never used any of that.

You have solid points on the game's systems being a bit unpolished (the path actions definitely were not equally good or useful, for instance)
but this sort of thing is you intentionally limiting your game mechanics and then complaining about limited game mechanics.

My biggest regret is getting a 100x XP dance on a boss fight and subsequently being so overleveled that I beat Chapter 4 bosses in 2 rounds.
Game was good but not excellent, and I am hoping the eventual sequel gets those small things right.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

so wait, i can't just put it on my joycontrollercradle and play a game with it on the tv? That's a bummer.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I still need to play Octopath a bit more. I cleared two characters' stories but I got stuck on Alfyn's final boss.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ignite Memories posted:

so wait, i can't just put it on my joycontrollercradle and play a game with it on the tv? That's a bummer.

It might work with the charging joycontrollercradle, but I cant confirm as I dont own one. If it just gets its power from the switch, it might work, if it sends button presses through the contacts and not wirelessly, then it definitely wont work.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

That's a shame, that's what i'd mostly be using it for. Maybe if the product is successful somebody will iterate on it

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I've heard enough different "obviously the party/jobs you HAVE to use are X" that maybe it's not actually that obvious? It at least the game's not so hard that you should feel obligated to minmax (maybe aside from the postgame stuff I haven't seen yet).

Agree path actions and stuff could use a revision in a sequel or whatever, but I liked it enough that I would look forward to that sequel.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Hori D-Pad Joycon doesn't have an internal battery or wireless connectivity, so it only works when connected to the Switch itself.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah it has a very specific use case. I just happen to line up 100% with that use case. If you dont do 2D, undocked, D-Pad gaming, I cant see it being a must-buy

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think this is kind of a nutshell why Nintendo's backed off on the casual appeal; they already got burned badly once trying to recapture the Wii's lightning in a bottle. The casual market can be insane if the planets align the right way but is ultimately fickle.

yeah from the start the switch has been targeted/marketed at young adults and parents who grew up with video games, not the video-game-naive people they went after with the wii

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Bloop posted:

I basically never used any of that.

You have solid points on the game's systems being a bit unpolished (the path actions definitely were not equally good or useful, for instance)
but this sort of thing is you intentionally limiting your game mechanics and then complaining about limited game mechanics.

My biggest regret is getting a 100x XP dance on a boss fight and subsequently being so overleveled that I beat Chapter 4 bosses in 2 rounds.
Game was good but not excellent, and I am hoping the eventual sequel gets those small things right.

Well bosses would always go "okay enough of this I want 4 turns now at random." So leghold trap helped put that in order and was needed. Bosses would also hit like a pissed off dump truck more often or not so Shackle Foe took that down. Envenom is a sure fire hit that does disgusting amounts of damage over 9 turns if fully boosted so why wouldn't I when almost everything is weak to it and able to be poisoned?

Like it's not really limiting game mechanics by using those a lot, they all just felt required for my play style :shrug:

Ah well though, it just wasn't for me. I don't regret playing it but I do think it's pretty weak in general due to it's pretty nasty flaws.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

casual games mostly go on phones now

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Like it's not really limiting game mechanics by using those a lot, they all just felt required for my play style :shrug:

That's fine, but I'm just saying if your playstyle choices were repetitive and boring, maybe the fault wasn't with the game. There were a lot of ways to beat bosses. Just break them fast with attacks so they don't get to hit you at all, or get a lot of autohealing and overhealing, for example.

I agree that the game might just not be for you, and that is seriously OK.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Oof. Bosses must have taken a very long time if you were using maxed out envenom on them.

I found the combat to be a good puzzle game of How Do You Break Them On Demand?

Then you murder the while they're broken.

Was fun but not for everyone. I've also seen others deliberately imposing tedium upon themselves.

MinMaxing is a treacherous behavior that often runs contrary to time and enjoyment.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The music? really?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I've heard enough different "obviously the party/jobs you HAVE to use are X" that maybe it's not actually that obvious? It at least the game's not so hard that you should feel obligated to minmax (maybe aside from the postgame stuff I haven't seen yet).

Agree path actions and stuff could use a revision in a sequel or whatever, but I liked it enough that I would look forward to that sequel.

You can get away using whatever you want. Some character/job combos are better than others, but any job is an improvement just for the stats, weapons, and abilities. The only time you really need to plan a build are the job bosses and the final boss, and for the former there's simple ways to cheese most of them.

Tae posted:

The music? really?

Also this, I'll never get enough of Decisive Battle II.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The music in Octopath is so good.

I'm playing through DQ11 now and it's like night and day

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Hammer Bro. posted:

Oof. Bosses must have taken a very long time if you were using maxed out envenom on them.

I found the combat to be a good puzzle game of How Do You Break Them On Demand?

Then you murder the while they're broken.

Was fun but not for everyone. I've also seen others deliberately imposing tedium upon themselves.

MinMaxing is a treacherous behavior that often runs contrary to time and enjoyment.

This makes Octopath sound like extremely my jam. I love finding the most busted-rear end combinations I can find in a game and breaking it over my knee. Bravely Default was extremely my jam for this exact reason, despite its significant flaws.

I'm kinda eyeballs deep in Monster Hunter right now, which is the main thing stopping me from picking it up. I tried the demo, picked the... hunter lady? She seems cool.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The hunter lady is by far the worst overall character in the game.

Pick Therion as your starter when you play, hes the only character youll ever regret not having in your party so if you have to have one character locked in your party it should be him.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

Pick Therion as your starter when you play, hes the only character youll ever regret not having in your party so if you have to have one character locked in your party it should be him.

pick the one you like the most

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Octopath basically BEGS you to break it over your knee. Attempting to just take everything to the face a la FF6/7 is tedious and doesn't work very well at all.

Therion is best pick for main if you don't want to backtrack and want to EZ-MODE the game without disproportionately good loot.

I object to Ha'anit being the worst in the game, I found her ridiculously overpowered

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

Nah

Everyone is going to have their favorites. I'd easily put the scholar at the bottom, for instance.

Also, Locke Therion was always in my party despite not being my main. He became the sorcerer supreme, 6x casting to break poo poo then refilling his own MP gauge with a powerful attack

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Silver Falcon posted:

This makes Octopath sound like extremely my jam. I love finding the most busted-rear end combinations I can find in a game and breaking it over my knee. Bravely Default was extremely my jam for this exact reason, despite its significant flaws.

I'm kinda eyeballs deep in Monster Hunter right now, which is the main thing stopping me from picking it up. I tried the demo, picked the... hunter lady? She seems cool.

Can you be a palico in the switch version

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Nah

Everyone is going to have their favorites. I'd easily put the scholar at the bottom, for instance.

Also, Locke Therion was always in my party despite not being my main. He became the sorcerer supreme

She objectively gets worse as the game goes on. Monster damage drops off and it's a grind to get good pokemon if you want to use her.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
A remake of the old Pinecliff Grand Prix game has just launched a crowdfunder here in Norway. Everything is now being done in full 3D. Should be a good one for the kids and my mum is excited.

There's an English explenation further down on the page.
https://startskudd.no/prosjekt/fl%C3%A5klypa-grand-prix--dataspillet/fd02e7a0-e8c3-4909-bb3a-75532f6997a0?WT.ac=j20g

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

She objectively gets worse as the game goes on. Monster damage drops off and it's a grind to get good pokemon if you want to use her.

Yep. Also her job is basically a one trick wonder with leghold trap and unlike Olberic doesnt have the stats to back up a terrible battle action and awful path action. Also since her path action lets you fight enemies above your level in a one on one duel shes not that great since to get the benefits of that you need to either grind items or her gently caress awful monsters and if youre putting in time for that why arent you just leveling and then using Olberic?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

Yep. Also her job is basically a one trick wonder with leghold trap and unlike Olberic doesnt have the stats to back up a terrible battle action and awful path action. Also since her path action lets you fight enemies above your level in a one on one duel shes not that great since to get the benefits of that you need to either grind items or her gently caress awful monsters and if youre putting in time for that why arent you just leveling and then using Olberic?

Leghold is secretly the best skill in the game. But it's still way better to put hunter on somebody than to use her. Olberic hunter!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I've been thinking, is Nintendo the best company at marketing their games? They seem to have so many successful titles under their belt that would be deemed unmarketable by most companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

Because I like H'aanit's sprite more

• Locked thread